David Cage tackles domestic abuse in latest Detroit: BH trailer.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Zhukov:

hanselthecaretaker:
Not to mention it's pretty useless.

Speaking as someone who has had to call the cops to intervene in a domestic violence situation, that's a pile of sloppy, steaming bullshit.

It must not have been that serious then. If someone is posing an immediate threat to your life, having viables means of self defense, whether through training or a weapon, will always trump waiting for the cops to show up. Most often they'd arrive "just in time" to investigate the damage that's already been done, unless you're incredibly lucky to have one driving by at the time.

The code has been revealed! How Cage's writing can be so infuriatingly poor is finally unveiled...at 25 mins onwards. Woolie is the sage I have been needing all this time.

Hopefully Cage tackles his poor writing skills next.

hanselthecaretaker:

Zhukov:

hanselthecaretaker:
Not to mention it?s pretty useless.

Speaking as someone who has had to call the cops to intervene in a domestic violence situation, that's a pile of sloppy, steaming bullshit.

It must not have been that serious then. If someone is posing an immediate threat to your life, having viables means of self defense, whether through training or a weapon, will always trump waiting for the cops to show up. Most often they?d arrive ?just in time? to investigate the damage that?s already been done, unless you?re incredibly lucky to have one driving by at the time.

Call my crazy, but I think he knows more about how serious it was than you do.

And do you have any sources to back this up? At all? Because it sounds like you're basing it all off of "because I say so." And I'm sorry, but I don't consider you to be an authority on the subject.

hanselthecaretaker:

Zhukov:

hanselthecaretaker:

It must not have been that serious then. If someone is posing an immediate threat to your life, having viables means of self defense, whether through training or a weapon, will always trump waiting for the cops to show up. Most often they'd arrive 'just in time' to investigate the damage that's already been done, unless you?re incredibly lucky to have one driving by at the time.

That's... no, that's terrible advice. Unless you live out in the boonies where it'd take anyone 3 hours to get there, the best advice if someone is threatening your life is to contact the authorities and get the fuck out of there if you can. Escalating the situation with a weapon is just asking to turn the domestic violence into a god damn homicide, like... fuck.

Now, there can always be problems when contacting the police depending on the nature of the local department, but seriously, escalating the situation by fighting back with a weapon is the last resort, not the fucking go-to response. God damn.

hanselthecaretaker:

Zhukov:

hanselthecaretaker:

It must not have been that serious then. If someone is posing an immediate threat to your life, having viables means of self defense, whether through training or a weapon, will always trump waiting for the cops to show up. Most often they?d arrive ?just in time? to investigate the damage that?s already been done, unless you?re incredibly lucky to have one driving by at the time.

Alrighty.

Before we continue, I have to ask, what is your experience in matters of self defense and violence, domestic or otherwise?

I realise that's a potentially very personal and sensitive question even on an anonymous forum, so if you don't wish to answer for any reason then say so and I'll drop it immediately.

For my part, I have witnessed multiple instances of domestic violence of varying degrees of severity, against family members, friends, housemates and complete strangers. In those instances where I was able I intervened, verbally, physically and by contacting the cops. I have several years of combative and self-defense training, predominantly of the unarmed variety, and I have had to employ that training roughly a dozen times (depends on what exactly counts, some incidents were defused just by verbal warnings and making it clear I knew what I was doing).

In short, I know all too fucking well what I'm talking about and I cannot but take exception to statements like "it must not have been that serious then".

Lastly, in any kind of violent situation in which you are trying to stay safe the first and best option is to flee if at all possible. It isn't sexy, it won't feed your ego, it doesn't make you look like a badass and it won't give you a fun story to tell, but it is 100% the pragmatic course of action.

I suppose I wasn't clear enough. Call the cops all you want, but in the meantime do whatever you can to protect yourself. Because the attacker, you know, probably won't agree to just sit back and wait along with you for them to show up. Fleeing the scene might not always be a viable option either, especially if you have loved ones in harms way. It's a fact of human nature to want to protect those you love. Unfortunately adrenaline can cloud judgement, so it's never as easy as it sounds.

Having said that, it seems that society has gotten to the point where we can no longer trust individuals as citizens enough anymore to take some responsibility for themselves in this regard. Everything automatically gets delegated to the "authorities" because the media has literally convinced the populace that the tens of millions of law-abiding gun owners out there are all "nuts". Individuals weren't always thought of as being this irresponsible or helpless, and there certainly aren't enough cops to babysit every altercation.

I find the depiction of women in this scenario very unsettling. Women, already abused by their husbands, parallized by the trauma they have to endure with the recurring danger of heavy physical and mental abuse, are depicted as life-less robots who are implied to have a choice in the first place, which also are described here as only to be solvable by varying forms of violence they are forced to perform themselves, as this is the only way to "Become Human", as in before that, they're inhuman appliances.

Honestly, I don't know how I should feel about this.

Naldan:
I find the depiction of women in this scenario very unsettling. Women, already abused by their husbands, parallized by the trauma they have to endure with the recurring danger of heavy physical and mental abuse, are depicted as life-less robots who are implied to have a choice in the first place, which also are described here as only to be solvable by varying forms of violence they are forced to perform themselves, as this is the only way to "Become Human", as in before that, they're inhuman appliances.

Honestly, I don't know how I should feel about this.

Cage comes off as awkward, and it probably doesn't help if things get lost in translation due to differing cultural norms. I've never been to France so idk. But I think what he's trying to do here is present a uniquely human situation of dysfunction and violence, and show how even a robot can learn to care about the victims enough; ultimately to make decisions as an emotionally affected human would.

In a weird way, he may even be trying to say that society has become so apathetic that a robot needs to show how to appropriately respond in these situations. Far too often we hear about women that remain in abusive situations for various (ultimately stupid) reasons. Maybe this game is partly aimed at empowering them, as encouragement to break the cycle.

But again, the awkward stigma which Cage's previous work has somewhat inadvertently/unintentionally created that may be the biggest hurdle.

hanselthecaretaker:
I suppose I wasn?t clear enough. Call the cops all you want, but in the meantime do whatever you can to protect yourself. Because the attacker, you know, probably won?t agree to just sit back and wait along with you for them to show up. Fleeing the scene might not always be a viable option either, especially if you have loved ones in harms way. It?s a fact of human nature to want to protect those you love. Unfortunately adrenaline can cloud judgement, so it?s never as easy as it sounds.

Having said that, it seems that society has gotten to the point where we can no longer trust individuals as citizens enough anymore to take some responsibility for themselves in this regard. Everything automatically gets delegated to the ?authorities? because the media has literally convinced the populace that the tens of millions of law-abiding gun owners out there are all ?nuts?. Individuals weren?t always thought of as being this irresponsible or helpless, and there certainly aren?t enough cops to babysit every altercation.

...What the hell are you talking about? You said it was pointless to call the cops. Not "in the meantime you have to do something" you said it was pointless, end of story. And here's a suggestion. Take your loved ones and run with them.

I wouldn't talk about media coloring one's perception if I were you. You have a very unsupported view of how how to respond to a violent situation. And I doubt you have first person experience to back it up. And yes, you should call the cops in violent situations because cops are infinitely more well equipped to deal with these situations than you or I ever will be. I don't know why you think there being tens of millions of guns removes the need to call cops, but as someone who has had to call the cops multiple times on his crazy bitch sister, your approach? It doesn't work. At all. If I had taken your advice, I would've gotten my skull cracked with a frying pan.

erttheking:

hanselthecaretaker:
I suppose I wasn?t clear enough. Call the cops all you want, but in the meantime do whatever you can to protect yourself. Because the attacker, you know, probably won?t agree to just sit back and wait along with you for them to show up. Fleeing the scene might not always be a viable option either, especially if you have loved ones in harms way. It?s a fact of human nature to want to protect those you love. Unfortunately adrenaline can cloud judgement, so it?s never as easy as it sounds.

Having said that, it seems that society has gotten to the point where we can no longer trust individuals as citizens enough anymore to take some responsibility for themselves in this regard. Everything automatically gets delegated to the ?authorities? because the media has literally convinced the populace that the tens of millions of law-abiding gun owners out there are all ?nuts?. Individuals weren?t always thought of as being this irresponsible or helpless, and there certainly aren?t enough cops to babysit every altercation.

...What the hell are you talking about? You said it was pointless to call the cops. Not "in the meantime you have to do something" you said it was pointless, end of story. And here's a suggestion. Take your loved ones and run with them.

I wouldn't talk about media coloring one's perception if I were you. You have a very unsupported view of how how to respond to a violent situation. And I doubt you have first person experience to back it up. And yes, you should call the cops in violent situations because cops are infinitely more well equipped to deal with these situations than you or I ever will be. I don't know what you're getting those unsourced numbers from, but as someone who has had to call the cops multiple times on his crazy bitch sister, your approach? It doesn't work. At all.

Well from the sounds of it neither has your approach, but it would seem neither would address the root cause anyways. I wasn't referring to domestic civil disputes or sibling quarrels either; I was referring to instances where someone's life was being immediately threatened.. Please don't bother trying to explain how waiting for the cops to arrive would suffice in a situation like that, because you can't. No one can. Sometimes it boils down to fight or flight, and each person is going to respond according to their individual traits.

hanselthecaretaker:

erttheking:

hanselthecaretaker:

I wouldn't talk about media coloring one's perception if I were you. You have a very unsupported view of how how to respond to a violent situation. And I doubt you have first person experience to back it up. And yes, you should call the cops in violent situations because cops are infinitely more well equipped to deal with these situations than you or I ever will be. I don't know what you're getting those unsourced numbers from, but as someone who has had to call the cops multiple times on his crazy bitch sister, your approach? It doesn't work. At all.

Well from the sounds of it neither has your approach, but it would seem neither would address the root cause anyways. I wasn?t referring to domestic civil disputes or sibling quarrels either; I was referring to instances where someone?s life was being immediately threatened.. Please don?t bother trying to explain how waiting for the cops to arrive would suffice in a situation like that, because you can?t. No one can. Sometimes it boils down to fight or flight, and each person is going to respond according to their individual traits.

My approach kept my sister from bashing my fucking skull in. I'd call my continued existence proof that it works. You know, you seem to be under the impression that people advocating for calling the cops are also advocating for sitting around doing nothing until the cops arrive, and I've seen no one advocating that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here