Your game of the year?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

2017 is ending soon, so what was your number one?

For me, Shovel Knight, Specter of Torment. Just a really good platformer.

AAA was boring. I either didn't like the games very much and didn't care to play them. Nier was an easy game to marathon, but I didn't find it great.

After playing through Persona 5, Wolfenstein 2, Nioh, Prey, Zero Horizon Dawn, Resident Evil 7 and Risen and I gotta say

Zero Horizon Dawn while the story isn't anything to write home about I thought the aesthetics were wonderful and the gameplay amazing, it made you feel like a real hunter what with trapping your enemy with ropecasters, making premmative traps, taming your enemies and riding some of them and my favorite exploring new locations.

Top 3:
Hob, Battle Chasers Nightwar, Horizon Zero Dawn

Honorable Mentions:
Super Mario Oddyssey and whatever the Rabbids things actually called were pretty cool too, but only half played some of them while watching my nephew.

Oxygen not Included I also enjoyed solidly, but alpha build, so I wouldn't throw it any contentions yet. Brawlhalla only just came out of beta too, so I'm not totally decided on it, though thus far would put it in the upper tier.

Good but not necessarily stuff I'd go out of my way to replay/recommend:
Assassins Creed Origins (Although I've only just started that, it might pick up later or descend into terrible later), Destiny 2, Hollow Knight, Prey, Shadow Warrior 2, Steamworld Dig 2, Slime Rancher, The Surge, Wolfenstein : The New Colossus

Bottom of the Barrel:
Breath of the Wild, Elex, The Escapists 2, Mass Effect : Andromeda, Nier Automata, Nioh

That is to my recollection, most all the 2017 games I played. Other then Fortnite, which is another Beta game, and one thats hard to judge properly for a variety of reasons.

This topic has made me realize I haven't really played much new this year at all. Nothing really interested me all that much and I really just used this year to catch up on older stuff I hadn't gotten the chance to play. Among the new stuff this year that I have played, I'd say my game of the year would actually be an expansion to an older title. Ashes of Malmouth is an expansion for Grim Dawn and it's absolutely fantastic. The base game was already incredible, easily being one of my top three favorite games, and they really outdid themselves with the expansion.

Resident Evil 7.

Not only does it refresh the series and take it into exciting new directions, it manages to inject key elements that made the series so special in the first place. It's beautiful, plays super tight, has some of the best sound design ever, and can we all give a round of applause to a series first: a resident evil game with actual well written characters, dialogue, and voice acting.

Runner up is Hollow Knight. I'm not even gonna bother with words for this work of poetry. I'll just leave this trailer here.

Pretty sure the only new Games I played this Year were Breath of the Wild and Mario Odessey...so Breath of the Wild...I guess.

Horizon Zero Dawn is my GOTY right now. However, once I get to Divinity Original Sin 2 (which won't be this year probably), that will probably be my 2017 GOTY when it's all said and done. Once I actually start playing Shadow Tactics outside of just the first couple missions, that will probably end up contending for GOTY as well. Prey is an honorable mention for sure, pretty solid game with some noticeable flaws (I'm pretty much perfectly in line with Errant Signal's video on the game). I don't think anything really great is slated to come out later this year that I know of.

Played it for 90 hours over a couple of weeks as soon as it came out, then burned up another 90 in NG+ as soon as I finished it.

Not many games have that kind of hold on me. Therefore, how could I call anything but Persona 5 my GOTY?

Probably Breath of the Wild although I have some issues with it, namely the repeated shrines and lacklustre dungeons. However, it still deserves GOTY because its open-world design is second to none! The game continued to surprise me all the way through. Still not my favourite Zelda game though (which is Majora's Mask).

Super Mario Odyssey is amazing too but I don't like how some of the moons are just 'gimmies'. Like pounding a spot on the ground gives you a moon...like c'mon.

Hollow Knight hands down. But this year was a killer year but that really just goes to show how damn good Hollow Knight is.

Breath of the Wild with Horizon: Zero Dawn coming in second.

It's been a pretty fantastic year though, even with games like Yakuza 0 and Persona 5 ultimately not retaining my enthusiam.

pearcinator:
Super Mario Odyssey is amazing too but I don't like how some of the moons are just 'gimmies'. Like pounding a spot on the ground gives you a moon...like c'mon.

Or worse, you can just buy them at stores for 100 coins. One per store, but still... why even have them there at all then?

Horizon Zero Dawn hands down. Can't wait for the DLC

Honourable mention : Sonic Mania, Xcom War of the Chosen, Wildlands (but only because I have some great friends to play with) and Pyre

Winners: Hollow Knight. It was hard to pick between this and Pyre. I don't think the latter was better than Transistor though. Hollow Knight was a great platformer with a great deal of depth to combat (once again the combat wasn't as complex as Transistor.) Great story told through action rather than words. So many secrets...

EDIT: I haven't got Divinity: Original Sin 2 yet. It would probably take top spot for me

Top Place: Horizon Zero Dawn.

Honorable Mentions: Pyre, Gravity Rush 2, Wolfenstein II, Absolver and preemptively Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

The 'I was excited for them until I played them' category: Destiny 2, Nioh and Dawn of War III.

Most of the games I've played this year were actually older titles like Telltale's Walking Dead and Alien Isolation, or re-releases like Undertale, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy IX and... Final Fantasy VII. Man, lotta final fantasies this year.

Persona 5 is most likely mine. Sunk nearly 400 hours into that game trying to experience as much as I could, and really loved a good amount of the soundtrack that I actually bought a physical version of. Still got another 4 or 5 runs of the game left to do, which is most likely another 100+ hours of play time even if I just skip all the dialogue and events I still remember.

A contender, like others have said, has got to be Horizon. While I never did go back and replay it, i still remember really enjoying my first time with the game, and being impressed at the visuals. When the DLC comes out, I know I'll jump back in hopefully wont be too rusty.

Hmm, it's a toss-up between Sonic Mania and Metroid: Samus Returns.

I don't think either is an instant classic, but they both do a good job at what they set out to do and they satisfied my itch for their respective old school gameplay.

The only other 2017 games I've played were Prey and Cosmic Star Heroine, and neither impressed me much.

Literally the only new release I've played this year is Doki Doki Literature Club. I... admire it. I think it's really horrible, but it executes it's central idea well.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 hands down.

Honorable mentions to EVERSPACE and Pit People (although it's still in Early Access).

Praey for the Gods will probably miss its deadline this year, it looks like a contender, but with Monster Hunter: World (GOTY 2018) coming, I think it will remain unnoticed.

Torment: Tides of Numenera was a pretty good oldschool throwback, but not GOTY material.

Of games out this year, I've only played Total Warhammer 2, so while it gets it by default it would have been my GotY anyway. Having played lots of the original this years does take a bit of the shine off due to oversaturation and it basically being the same game but it still stands out to me.

Favourite moment: Seeing Queek Head Taker chop the head of a snooty high elf lord (from behind, as she was fleeing of course, as is the proper Skaven way).

Wrex Brogan:
The 'I was excited for them until I played them' category: ... and Dawn of War III.

As I go to post, I see this and remember there was another game I bought, and then refunded, this year. *Sigh*

Imre Csete:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 hands down.

Agreed. What an incredible RPG.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Yoshi178:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

So...you're a time traveller? Or just got an early copy? 0_0

I will have to be either Horizon Zero Dawn or Persona 5, though I can't choose between them.
2017 has been fantastic though, best year in quite some time.

It's still a little early for me pick a GOTY for sure, as there are a lot of games still coming out this year that I want to get my teeth into before I make a final decision. However if you told me to pick a game right this second, the Horizon Zero Dawn takes the cake right away. I keep thinking about that game everytime I think of my Top 5 of the year. It is the only game that hasn't ever not gotten out of my head in that discussion, while other games on my Top 5 have shifted with almost every new big release.

2017 has been awesome.

Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein II or Yakuza 0.

Leaning towards the first option.

I don't know. Digital Homicide Studios has released just so much, that I can't choose one!

Persona 5 without a doubt. At least so far.

Characters were amazing, story was amazing, the battles and mild stealth elements all came together in a fantastic, stylish way, and honestly, it felt perfectly timed with the state of the world in general.

Freakin' A grade. I played it earlier this summer and I already kind of want to go for a second run of the game.

My runner-up is Styx Shards of Darkness. It was a phenomenal stealth game with a multitude of options and items and skills, and a feel like you really could clamber around everywhere you wanted. I haven't played a stealth game this good since I finished the Thief trilogy.

I've only played a small fraction of what's been released this year, but out of what I've played it'd certainly have to be Horizon: Zero Dawn. Very rarely do we get a game that plays this smoothly, especially being open world. Sure, it still has some of the icon chasing that comes with the territory, but avoids feeling nearly as tedious as some better know contemporaries. Most of it is optional anyways and serves mostly to flesh out the world, lore, or to trade valuables for better gear.

Really looking forward to the dlc, but also really want to finish Bloodborne first.

Probably a toss between Persona 5 and Resident Evil 7. I really enjoyed Wolfenstein as well. Could be the most fun single-player FPS I ever played. The story is totally bonkers with it's sharp tonal shifts giving the game a manic energy that sits well with the incredibly satisfying and kinetic gameplay. I also loved Yakuza 0. The characters were so well written and the story was like a rollercoaster with twists and turns I didn't see coming. Never played a Yakuza game before but this game made me a fan. I was ultimately disappointed by Horizon Zero Dawn and The Evil Within 2. Both these games just didn't really grab me besides some occasionally kick-ass gameplay(HZD) and sequel improvements(TEW2). I'm also really enjoying Asses Creed Oranges. The rendition of ptolemaic Egypt is breathtakingly beautiful from the architecture to the lighting to the tiniest NPC animations. It's a visual tour-de-force unlike anything I've ever seen. The combat, responsiveness and general control over your character is vastly improved as well. Coupled with it's upgrade and equipment system it now resembles more of an open-world action RPG. Speaking of which I still have a hard time making up my mind about Nioh. Initially the game started to wane on me after a few dozen hours but I'm kind of coming back on that opinion. Want to still play through all the DLC atleast. I didn't enjoy Nier much. I do like the game's thematic elements but the boring environments and Platinum gameplay just didn't do it for me. The shmup sections were awesome though!

Finally I also really love Everybody's Golf. When it comes to sheer fun this might as well be my GOTY. :p My indie GOTY will go to Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight. Phenomenal platformer that reminded me of a snes Castlevania/Ghosts n Goblins highlight reel. I also had a lot of fun with Neo Geo re-releases King of Fighters '94 and Real Bout Fatal Fury. Though ofcourse these aren't new games.

Anyways not at all a bad year. For games atleast not the world at large. :p

I'll have to go with Horizon since it was the only game that tempted me to stay up past midnight and get up early to spend some time with it before work. I also really enjoyed Wolfenstein 2, Yakuza 0 and Uncharted: lost legacy, but i wouldn't really call them 'game of the year' and theres a bunch more that i didn't have time to play.

I'll be looking out for RE7 on discount since it sounds pretty good. I haven't truly played an RE game since 4 so it will be about time. I tried the demos of 5 and 6 but it all felt so played out by then. This one sounds like they upped the bar for survival horror.

Horizon; Zero Dawn.

Probably the best game I've played in the last couple of years actually, and the one that finally made me feel like the ps4 was worth getting. Most other games I've played recently either came out some time ago or bored me after a while (to the point that I didn't even finish some of them).

I am still playing through Prey, which has been pretty fun and all, but is not even on the same level as Horizon.

Only game I've played that was released this year is Splatoon 2.

I've only just recently got a new job, so I haven't had the money to buy anything new.
The only new game I've played is Destiny 2, and it sure as hell isn't going to be that.
Oh, and the new Prey, but I've tossed my two cents about that game all over the internet enough as it is. Spoiler: Not GOTY for me

There's still about two months until the year is out and the holiday season is over, ask me again then when hopefully I'll have some money again.

Wow, there have been some great games released this year, for so long I thought that Horizon: Zero Dawn was going to walk away with GOTY.

However, there is one game that I just fell in love with, a game that stole 120 hours of my life and I don't care. I am of course talking about Persona 5. I have never played a Persona game before and this game just stole my heart (heh). The story, the gameplay, especially the characters are all just awesome. And you know what, if this game had of ended after you beat Shido and to be fair he does feel like a final boss with all 5 of his various forms. This wouldn't have quite made Persona 5 game of the year and Horizon would of stomped off with this accolade.

You want to know what tipped this game over the edge? That would be that

I will replay this at the soonest opportunity.

The fact that Horizon: Zero Dawn got bumped to second place should in no way take away what a fantastic game it is and I am really looking forward to The Frozen Wilds dlc. I really enjoyed the gameplay and I loved the world building that went into describing just why humans have been forced into a situation where they have to fight giant robot dinosaurs. It was an open world game that wasn't a typical open world game with a million different items to collect. I really must get the platinum trophy for it when I turn it on next.

Other games I've enjoyed this year include Nier: Automata which had some really touching moments. Stardew Valley which is a crippling addiction pretending to be a game and South Park: The Fracture But Whole which was fun but in no way as good as The Stick of Truth. I got into Overwatch this year and I loved Tales from the Borderlands but they don't count as they weren't released this year.

Now, just have to play through to Undertale and Resident Evil 7 to get an idea as to how the rest of my list of games of the year line up.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here