Your game of the year?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

My GOTY is probably Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It just keeps on drawing me in, and I tend to lose track of time when playing, which hardly happens to me any more. The world is beautiful and interesting. The story, while pretty standard so far, serves it's purpose. The shrines, while very repeating, are still fun to me after 40+ hours of play. The little extras in the world like the korok seeds or hidden treasure chests or other such things are done in a very good way. The combat, while it took a bit of getting used to, is for me a very good balance between for example the easiness of Shadow of War's combat and the resource managing challenge of Dark Souls. There's a lot of little details in the gameplay and world that often make me go "So you can do this in the game? Neat!" with a smile. And the list goes on.

I've never been much for Zelda games. Heck I haven't really played any of them past an hour or two. But I pretty much bought a switch to be able to play it. (There were plenty of other reasons and games of course. But it was the main one.)

This year was the year I finally got a PS4, so two games might be late-comers for some of you. But these three games are my best for 2017:

HORIZON ZERO DAWN: This was bundled with the PS4 and I'll be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect from that game until I saw someone play it on YouTube beforehand. But once I got into the game, I was completely hooked. The graphics were incredible, the story had many great moments, and I really enjoyed the fact that you could explore the terrain and learn a lot about it as I went. Also, riding robot horses were pretty cool.

THE LAST GUARDIAN: Having played Shadow of the Colossus many times before, I already expected janky movement controls and weird camera angles which led to many a frustrating death. But in my mind, the relationship between the boy and Trico allowed me to push on to the tearjerking end.

UNCHARTED 4: This game had been the No. 1 reason for wanting to buy a PS4. I've loved Nathan Drake the moment I finished the first game, and his last adventure has been a very worthy send-off for him. It's everything I expected the last Uncharted game to be and more. I've yet to play Lost Legacy, so I might come back to this once I have.

Full-priced game: I'm deciding between Mario and Zelda
Old game that I played for the first time: Bloodborne
Budget game: Either Night in the Woods or A Hat in Time (I'm waiting for a Saints Row-themed spinoff, A Gat in Time)

Games I have played this year that came out this year that I can remember off the top of my head. I am only mentioning games I believe I have played enough to get an accurate assessment of from myself so usually completion or I could not take anymore:-

Nioh
Nier Automata
Injustice 2
Tekken 7
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Stormblood (FFXIV expansion)
Various PSVR games

Games I played for first time this year that didnt come out this year.

Bloodborne (GOTY edition)
Tears To Tiara 2 (think I started this year may have been late last year)
various PSVR games (Rush of Blood is best imo)
Killer Instinct (PC)

There is probably loads more that I am momentarily forgetting but my GOTY (out of all both new and old) is an easy pic and its Nioh just an absolute brilliant game.

Special mentions go to Tears To Tiara 2 which for story and characters alone is my favourite by far but I find the combat just passable and tbh because it puts a barrier between me and more story a bit of an annoyance. Likewise Nier Automata was a very fun experience with some amazing touches even if it did feel a little rough and get a bit annoying in places but im not sure it would have worked as well if it did not.

There is also one other special mention that I havent put in because its not out yet and I have only played the closed beta and the arcade version and that is Dissidia. Havent played enough to decide yet but from the little I have played if I could nominate it it would be my GOTY even over Nioh I just frikkin loved playing that game so its a strong contender for next year especially if Tifa gets in.

1) Hollow Knight

This gem is everything I've ever wanted in a metroidvania. Beautiful aesthetics, an intuitive movement and combat system, rewards exploration above all else.

2) Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Going by the Dev Diaries, it's heartwarming to see the Dev team put so much effort into the representation and exploration of psychosis (most likely paranoid schizophrenia with a history of isolation and self-criticism) through the lens of a traumatized, yet determined warrior. Certainly a harrowing journey, an emotional journey for me at least, but a tremendously satisfying journey.

The combat was a hidden treat that I would have loved to see more of. Visceral and desperate, it becomes a beautiful dance once you master the parry. It's also a gorgeous game, graphically.

3) Nier: Automata

Way too much to be said here. I loved the story, the combat was great and there's a lot of value in Automata's experimentation with the genre.

---

Late to the party award: Dishonored 2

Absolutely fantastic game. It has been a very long time since I felt the need to do back-to-back playthroughs, but Emily single-handedly saved the Dishonored franchise for me. Low Chaos and High Chaos, this game was densely packed with detail and world-building flourish. The level-design was fantastic, the Clockwork Mansion and Stilton's Manor will be remembered for a long time.

Hellblade bored me to tears.

Tekken 7 fucked up with lag, dumb as fuck DLC, that excuse of a character-specific story mode, and the complete lack of Team Battle, Time Attack, and Survival. The fighting itself is good.

That leaves me with Cuphead. If PUBG gets a true and decent release this year, I'll consider buying it.

I'm gonna have to say Persona 5, but goddamn it's close. So many good games this year, and so many of them could easily be GOTY in their own right!

It's been quite a year for games, and been such a long time since I bought so many games released in the year it came out. Because of that, I don't want to make it a competition for my favorite game, but just think of the many stand out games. At the top of my head, the games that were really memorable were

Persona 5
Trails in the Sky 3rd
A Hat in Time
Resident Evil 7
Cup Head
Ys VIII
Metroid: Samus Returns
Shovel Knight: Spector of Torment

Hmm, that's a tough call, actually.

I've thoroughly loved the time I've spent in Hob, Rainworld, Half-Life: C.A.G.E.D., Halo Wars: DE, Halo Wars 2, Quake: Champions, Turok 2 HD, Scanner Sombre, Wipeout: Omega Collection, and Spaceplan.[1]

That said, I think I have to give it to...
DUSK

Strafe was a MASSIVE let down for me. It promised the moon, but delivered nothing more than a pebble. It didn't play well, it didn't look good, but most of all it didn't feel good to play. It lacked the smoothness and flair of a proper 'old-school' shooter. It felt less an homage to the shooters-of-old from those that played (and loved) those sorts of games and more like a hipstery reinterpretation of what younger millenials think old-school shooters were like.

In short: it sucked. It sucked harder than your mum on a Friday night.

DUSK, on the other hand, feels exactly like a shooter made in the present by the sort of people that made and played old-school shooters. It nails the look, the flow, the sound, the smoothness, the roughness, the jank, the design, and, most importantly, the feel of good, old-school shooters. It's fast, unrelenting, and just damn fun to play. Almost like something Carmack and crew would've made today had they decided to stick to the id Tech 2 engine. It's the 'de-make' equivalent of the new DOOM game. It's new but feels old, in all the right ways. In the ways that matter.

Episode 1 is out right now. (another awesome send up to the games of old: releasing the full game in episodes but only requiring a one time purchase) I'm really excited for the final, full release, of which will include the multiplayer modes.

As a runner-up, I gotta add my love for Battletech. The skirmish beta came out this year, but the final release has been delayed to next year. Based on the beta alone I think it would have been my GOTY, had it released on schedule.

[1] I'm yet to play the likes of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Absolver, Yooka-Laylee, Nier: Automata, Prey, Dead Cells, Battle Chasers, Cuphead, and Wolfenstein: TNC. So I can't speak about them yet.

Wolfenstein II
Divinity 1 & 2
Zelda: BOTW
Super Mario Odessey

Wow, I am just so far behind on gaming! My pile of shame continues to grow but thanks to Humble Bundle, most are not 2017 games.

About the only thing I got from 2017 is Breath of the Wild for the Wii U. It's a good game. I'm sure I'll pick up Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice at some point.

About the only title I'm interested in for the rest of the year is the new Spiderman game for the PS4. I think it comes out AFTER Christmas but before the end of the year. Go figure.

Catfood220:

You want to know what tipped this game over the edge? That would be that

It gets even better than just that if you stop and think it through. :P

Persona 5?

Y8?

Civ5BNW?

Automata. It's just a beautiful game. This has been an insane year for videogames, it's been a while since so many masterpieces came out in the same year and yet Automata stands above them all. I can't even explain why I loved it so much, but I goddamn cried at that final ending because I got there with no spoilers and had no idea what would happen and it was just a sensorial spectacle after that long journey.

Automata is just fucking awesome.

Hollow Knight. To me at least, I think it's the best Metroidvania ever made in terms of what it does with the genre. Most Metroidvania's, while they do invovle exploration and backtracking, usually only let you go a short way before you meet a roadblock and have to move onward a certain direction.

Hollow Knight is the first Metroidvania where I really felt like I could just pick a direction and keep going. It's amazing just how far you can go in the game without fully exploring an area and the choices you have for which area you want to go to first.

This is all without even getting into the story and art style which is amazing as well in its tone, imagination and style. It is for sure my game of the year.

There were way too many good games this year. And I liked that most of them were good in different ways, rather than 2015 where we had a ton of large, open world games. (Not a complaint, I love open world but I still have a backlog of open world games from that year)
*Correction, we did get a TON of racing games this year, so we did get a ton of one type of game, just not the type of game that usually goes into GOTY contention

Since I mostly saved Zelda for when I knew I was going to move and then my move got delayed 6 months, I only recently really dug into Breath of the Wild and I have to say, warts and all, it's in my heart the most right now.
I'm almost reluctantly playing Mario Odyssey right now while Zelda is in my heart.

Zelda isn't perfect, I think Horizon Zero Dawn is prettier and controls better and has a better crafting system (which you can do on the fly) but the story is more than a little ham fisted in Horizon and I like that exploration is central to Zelda over story and admittedly weak VO.

Bit sad that prey doesn't get many mention, it's rare that a game reward exploration so thoroughly.

P5 didn't really work for me, I never got into the story and I found most character insufferable during the real story part (they were fine during there social interaction) I wish we could just kick Ryuji out of the group. Futaba was awesome, but she just come too late to the party to salvage anything, by that point I thoroughly didn't care about the main plot and just wished that there was a sandbox version, where there would be no main mission. The moralizing aspect of the story are way too in your face and preachy. The pacing was also weak, in previous one they would try to place some limitation so that you couldn't go trough a dungeon in one day but there was practically none in this one, getting SP restoring item is really easy and the alarm mechanic were laughably easy to ignore, I ended up finishing every dungeon in a single day, which lead to long period of no dungeon exploring. Also the game need to stop taking control away from you, long week where you can't do anything because your too tired from talking to you friend for 5 minute (screw you Morgana, you don't control me!).

Horizon was great, but the current event story was pretty boring and really not up to par for the pass (the extinction). Alloy is so boring as a character it's mind numbing (actually I'd say there were very few good character in the game overall). The gameplay was great when you were fighting individual enemy, but I always felt like we didn't have the right tool to deal with swarm of them. Also just 4 equitable weapon was not enough and as a results I ended up not using most of them. I also got all the weapon really early and so the game didn't have much progression, similarly the talent tree system is a bit pointless, felt like I got everything I wanted 1/4 of the way trough the game.

Ravenbom:
*Correction, we did get a TON of racing games this year..

You mind naming names so I can maybe look them up and see what they're all about? But don't even think of suggesting that new Need For Speed game to me. NFS doesn't need a story, it needs exotic supercars being driven in exciting scenarios set as far away from the city streets as possible.

On-Topic: The only reason it's not Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown is because AC7 was delayed into next year. As it stands, I'm probably going to give it to Sonic Mania, of all fucking things.

When I read the title my first thought was "what? The year has barely-oh...".

Honestly, Nier: Automata. I the start of the year was great for games and it sort of died in the latter half of the year.so 2017 was frontloaded with Horizon, Yakuza, Persona 5 etc but Near A Tomato is the only one that REALLY stuck with me.

I'm honestly surprised with all the people saying Horizon. Out of the great games at the start of the year its easily the one I was I was the coolest on. I don't feel like there was enough there beyond the mystery of Zero Dawn. After the halfway point I was activly avoiding combat because it was pretty repetitve and dull. Maybe its because I was playing on the highest difficulty (which was still pretty easy) and any enemies over the...Sawtooth had enormous health pools.

I don't know about my Game of the Year, but Ezekiel has definitely been winning Biggest Wet Blanket of the Year consistently for the past 2 years.

I must also say Persona 5, The Last Guardian, and Prey, and sadly I forgot to buy Horizon Zero Dawn, but I heard good things. A number of good games came out.

Ravenbom:
I like that exploration is central to Zelda over story and admittedly weak VO.

You should switch to the japanese voicetrack, it makes a world of difference. Zelda no longer sounds like a posh turkey.

Resident Evil 7 and Evil Within 2 for me. I simply love horror games and these 2 were incredible. I also played the new South Park game and I think it was quite funny, but not as good as the first one.

Another game I want to mention is the Total War: Warhammer 2. Simply epic strategy game that I can waste so much time on. Its simply fabulous!

Prey easily.

It bring back the memories of games like System Shock and Half life.

Hawki:

Yoshi178:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

So...you're a time traveller? Or just got an early copy? 0_0

Sorry what was that?

i couldn't hear you over the sheer awesomeness that is Xenoblade 2

Persona 5 gets my vote.

My Game of the Year was definitely The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, full stop.

The old 3D Zelda formula born in Ocarina of Time was something I just grew to loathe with ever subsequent entry but taking the series back to it's roots of dropping you into a world to figure out on your own with modern design philosophies reminded me why I fell in love with Zelda in the first place back in the 80s.

A close runner up is Super Mario Odyssey. I haven't put as many hours into it as BotW so far but it's definitely had me hooked. I'd say it's the first main series Mario game I've genuinely loved with a child-like glee since Super Mario Bros. 2.

As usual, quite impossible to choose just one that covers all bases.

I really like Horizon: Zero Dawn - a new IP that delivered most of what makes a game fun and enjoyable. Was let down by the looks of the mythical Antiriad armor, was hoping to get away from the Mad Max Pocahontas looks with it, but compared to all the AAA letdowns, I can easily let this one slide. Sure, we got plenty of the staple go there, kill those, fetch that fare, but the fight mechanics and detailed robo dinosaurs felt fresh for at least 90% of my completionist run.

There's one title I really would like to see more of than just as an honourable mention, though: Cuphead - this game, this work of art, this... wonderful little Rottweiler Demon Pug has absolutely inspired me most this year. Oh, and then there's the bit about iam8bit delivering just the most beautiful feelie I've ever seen for any game, ever - The Cuphead soundtrack on vinyl. It went on back order, so no promises for late Christmas shopping, but if you love this game only half as much as I do, you owe it to yourself to get that. Even if you currently don't own a record player.

That said, we got a bunch of good games. Most of them were just not that memorable, it seems.

I was bored while waiting for stuff to compile in the background, so here's this thread in vote tally format

(9.3) Horizon Zero Dawn
(7.5) Breath of the Wild
(7.5) Persona 5
(4) Hollow Knight
(2.5) Prey
(2) Divinity : Original Sin 2
(2) Nier Automata
(2) Resident Evil 7
(1.5) Cuphead
(1.5) Sonic Mania
(1) Doki Doki Literature Club
(1) DUSK
(1) Hob
(1) Nioh
(1) Shovel Knight : Specter of Torment
(1) Splatoon 2
(1) Total Warhammer 2
(1) Xenoblade Chronicles 2
(0.8) Evil With 2
(0.5) Metroid: Samus Returns
(0.5) Super Mario Odyssey
(0.3) The Last Guardian
(0.3) Uncharted 4
(0.3) Wolfenstein : The New Colossus
(0.3) Yakuza 0

I'm pretty sure it will be Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 for me.

Steamworld Dig 2 and Ever Oasis are close seconds.

Cooking Mama Sweet Shop and Lady Layton are good, but not in my top 10 for the year. Having fun with them these past few weeks, though.

Persona 5 I played the JP version of last year (September of last year) so I won't count it. Nier Automata gets my vote!

Seth Carter:
I was bored while waiting for stuff to compile in the background, so here's this thread in vote tally format

How do you do the scoring?

Yoshi178:

Hawki:

Yoshi178:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Sorry what was that?

LMAO!!! How do you expect anyone to take you serious? If you just wanna shill for Nintendo you could've at least said Super Mario Brothers TWOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I need to work through my ever-growing backlog

For some reason, I can happily sink 30 hours into the dumpster fire of a game that was Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, but I struggle to sink more than 10 into Nier, or Divinity Original Sin 2.

I've owned Horizon ZD since April, but I haven't even touched it, for fucks sake.

Heroes of the Storm steals too much of my time.

I need to get my priorities straight.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Hawki:

Sorry what was that?

LMAO!!! How do you expect anyone to take you serious? If you just wanna shill for Nintendo you could've at least said Super Mario Brothers TWOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

LMAO!!! And how do you expect anyone to take yourself serious either? If you just wanted to shill for Sony, instead of saying Horizon Zero Dawn, you could have at least made everyone go "WHOA!" and voted for something unexpected like Crash Bandicoot instead!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here