Your game of the year?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Hawki:

Seth Carter:
I was bored while waiting for stuff to compile in the background, so here's this thread in vote tally format

How do you do the scoring?

1 point per person. The decimals were folks who had 2 or 3.

Persona 5 for me.

Though this might be due to me not buying a lot of games (newest system I have is a PS3, which is how I played Persona 5).

It would probably be a toss up between Persona 5 or Horizon Zero Dawn, though honestly the most fun I had this year was with Deadly Premonition.

The only 2017 release I've played is "Halo Wars 2" I think, which was OK.

Hopefully I get to play and finish "Wolfenstein II" before the year ends or that'd be quite sad.

Tough call.

Zelda:BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Sonic Mania and Cuphead are probably my top 4, but I have no idea which one is the best.

Persona 5 is still cinching it for the time being, it burrowed itself into my head and won't leave. Always a sign of a good game to me.

Sonic Mania is up there as 'thing I wanted for the longest time and delivered', Other than that I've not had time for much and Persona 5 monopolized all of my time as soon as the disk was in my Ps4. Right now I'm just taking a breather from games after Blizzard just had their yearly wank off which I was privileged enough to attend (right blast, highly recommend attending a blizzcon if you ever get the chance to in your life) So i'm just riding that high atm.

Persona 5 for me, although I admit that, while 2017 has been an excellent year for games, it hasn't been a great one for my wallet, with me saving for a move. as a result, while I've followed the releases all the way up to may or june, I had to stop buying games almost entirely after that. As a result, many of the more recent releases I haven't been able to try yet. I also only played Switch games while visiting my brother, so while I enjoyed the ones I played, I didn't play enough of them to apply them toward my list.

the games released in 2017 that I've played, ordered from ones I liked most to ones I liked least:

-Persona 5 (current GOTY)
-Yakuza 0 (Even as a fan of the series, I loved this game more than I expected)
-Resident Evil 7 (welcome back, old friend)
-Tales of Berseria (a better "Berserk" game than the actual berserk game we got)
-Horizon: Zero dawn (I feel like I would have liked it more if I'd had more time to spend with it)
-Nier Automata (Not really my genre, but I loved the aesthetics.)
-Berserk and the band of the hawk (the only game released this year that I played and didn't like. So much wasted potential. Ugly, derivative, and even a fan of the DW franchise like me couldn't get into the gameplay.)

This has been a pretty good year for me and games. I got quite a few hits in a row. I have a hard time picking favorites because these can often be hard to compare to each other, so I'll just list a bunch I really liked:

Pyre - I always loved Supergiant games, but this one was a particular standout. It's now seated as my new favorite from them.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Have yet to finish it, but it's been really fun. Not everything's perfect, but I've been finding the voice acting and animation to be stunning. The game is absolutely beautiful too, their developers had some talks at Siggraph this summer and they were consistently the best talk in each of their panels.

ECHO - Really unique game, and it does a lot of interesting things with the concept. Also has a really interesting and atmospheric setting. I got it on a total impulse buy and didn't regret it.

Seth Carter:
I was bored while waiting for stuff to compile in the background, so here's this thread in vote tally format

I remember being told before I started my undergrad when asking a friend what kind of laptop I should get, "Make sure you get one with an i7 so you don't spend all your time waiting for your code to compile." Total bullshit, basically everything I wrote in my undergrad would have compiled in under 30 seconds on a potato.

Working on a code base that's been evolving for the last 30 years, and it still never takes more than 5 minutes to build. I've been sorely let down by compiling time

Basically I'm trying to ask in a roundabout way, what are you working on?

Zykon TheLich:

Wrex Brogan:
The 'I was excited for them until I played them' category: ... and Dawn of War III.

As I go to post, I see this and remember there was another game I bought, and then refunded, this year. *Sigh*

To be fair to it, I didn't hate it - it's just, compared to Dawn of War II it was... disappointing. Like, I wanted an 8/10, but got a 5 instead kinda deal. Well more of a 4/10 since Angelos can back-flip in Terminator Armour... somehow

Granted, I also got it for 80% off, so I imagine everyone who bought it at full price would be way more disappointed with it than I was. I might not have hated it but like hell I was paying 60 bucks for it.

Yoshi178:
LMAO!!! And how do you expect anyone to take yourself serious either? If you just wanted to shill for Sony, instead of saying Horizon Zero Dawn, you could have at least made everyone go "WHOA!" and voted for something unexpected like Crash Bandicoot instead!

If I was a Sony shill, I would've voted for Knack 2!!!

But seriously, the game that got the most mentions in the thread is Horizon, I guess the thread is filled with Sony shills or just maybe, lots of people really liked it. You're the only one that voted for a game that isn't even out yet and to think any RPG will top Divinity Original Sin 2 in the same year is beyond ridiculous. Divinity is like, you know, an actual RPG with ROLE-PLAYING. I did actually watch the video of Xenoblade and the game looks like it's stuffed with "RPG busywork" and collectathons (gotta catch'em all!!!). And, the story seems so anime cliched it's not even funny, it could work if it's self-aware about it all.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:
LMAO!!! And how do you expect anyone to take yourself serious either? If you just wanted to shill for Sony, instead of saying Horizon Zero Dawn, you could have at least made everyone go "WHOA!" and voted for something unexpected like Crash Bandicoot instead!

If I was a Sony shill, I would've voted for Knack 2!!!

But seriously, the game that got the most mentions in the thread is Horizon, I guess the thread is filled with Sony shills or just maybe, lots of people really liked it. You're the only one that voted for a game that isn't even out yet and to think any RPG will top Divinity Original Sin 2 in the same year is beyond ridiculous. Divinity is like, you know, an actual RPG with ROLE-PLAYING. I did actually watch the video of Xenoblade and the game looks like it's stuffed with "RPG busywork" and collectathons (gotta catch'em all!!!). And, the story seems so anime cliched it's not even funny, it could work if it's self-aware about it all.

ig you actually bothered to read it, the OP's thread title is literally "YOUR Game of the Year" and i fully expect Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to be my Game of the Year. there is nothing wrong with that at all.

if i just wanted to shill Nintendo i could have just been a sheep and voted for either Zelda or Mario Odyssey but i didn't.

if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doesn't live up to my expectations and doesn't turn out to be my GOTY then i would choose Metroid: Samus Returns as my GOTY.

Yoshi178:
ig you actually bothered to read it, the OP's thread title is literally "YOUR Game of the Year" and i fully expect Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to be my Game of the Year. there is nothing wrong with that at all.

if i just wanted to shill Nintendo i could have just been a sheep and voted for either Zelda or Mario Odyssey but i didn't.

if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doesn't live up to my expectations and doesn't turn out to be my GOTY then i would choose Metroid: Samus Returns as my GOTY.

You have to have played said game to declare it GOTY. It's like saying RDR2 will be 2018's GOTY, you can't say that until you've played it because it could, you know, suck. I named Horizon as my GOTY because I haven't fully played the other games that I think will contend with Horizon and knock it off. I even said when it's all said and done, I don't think Horizon will end up being my GOTY.

Phoenixmgs:
You have to have played said game to declare it GOTY. It's like saying RDR2 will be 2018's GOTY, you can't say that until you've played it because it could, you know, suck.

No, I don't. I've loved Lego Pirates, Lego Marvel, Lego Avengers, Lego LotR, and Lego Hobbit. I know Lego Marvel 2 is going to be amazing. GOTY!

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

You have to have played said game to declare it GOTY. It's like saying RDR2 will be 2018's GOTY, you can't say that until you've played it because it could, you know, suck. I named Horizon as my GOTY because I haven't fully played the other games that I think will contend with Horizon and knock it off. I even said when it's all said and done, I don't think Horizon will end up being my GOTY.

Don't tell me what to do, i can claim whatever i damn well want as MY Game of the Year and at this stage, based on everything i've seen from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it is going to be MY Game of the Year.

and like i literally just said, when it comes out, if it doesn't turn out to be as great as i expected it to be, then Metroid: Samus Returns will end up being my Game of The Year instead.

Wrex Brogan:
To be fair to it, I didn't hate it - it's just, compared to Dawn of War II it was... disappointing. Like, I wanted an 8/10, but got a 5 instead kinda deal. Well more of a 4/10 since Angelos can back-flip in Terminator Armour... somehow

Granted, I also got it for 80% off, so I imagine everyone who bought it at full price would be way more disappointed with it than I was. I might not have hated it but like hell I was paying 60 bucks for it.

I found it distinctly meh. Not bad, but after playing the first 2 missions it had failed to grab me and mission 2 really dragged. Even now it's on sale humble bundle for about 1/3 of it's launch price and I'm still not fancying it.

Horizon Zero Dawn is just too damn good. One of the very few games I felt the desire to read all the text documents in and enjoy simple journeys across the map instead of fast travelling. Even the weakest parts of it still exceed most games.

But...that's not really an unknown darling, so my hipster status is growing anemic already. Hmmm...what else conjured enough emotions to convince me I was human briefly once more?

...Pyre? Pyre!

Nothing this year has stood out to me as noteworthy. I haven't even seen announcements that piqued my interest.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here