Making Pummel Duels competitive.

You know the Pummel Duel?, that aspect of Japanese media where two doods beat each other senseless by rapidly punching each other? I have a question regarding that iconic aspect of shounen-influenced works.

Arc System Works, if memory serves, has stated that, outside of countering the game's equivalent to Guilty Gear's Dust mechanic, there will be no Pummel Duels in Dragon Ball FighterZ. Their reasoning, from what I heard, being that button mashing doesn't require skill. While I can dig that, I'm sure there's a competitive way to put in Pummel Duels.

That said, can anyone give any ideas how it could be implemented? For example, maybe it can be started like the Clashes in Injustice (except from the players clashing their normals, or from a different input), and they do quick time events during the duel, and the one who succeeds in the most QTEs wins.

Any other ideas?

But button mashing does require skill, I mean it's a rather primitive skill but a skill nonetheless. It's also a good way to change gears for a short period and raise adrenaline.

I think it wouldd have been better to put it as an option you can cancel for serious players rather than removed it for everyone.

DarklordKyo:
You know the Pummel Duel?, that aspect of Japanese media where two doods beat each other senseless by rapidly punching each other? I have a question regarding that iconic aspect of shounen-influenced works.

Arc System Works, if memory serves, has stated that, outside of countering the game's equivalent to Guilty Gear's Dust mechanic, there will be no Pummel Duels in Dragon Ball FighterZ. Their reasoning, from what I heard, being that button mashing doesn't require skill. While I can dig that, I'm sure there's a competitive way to put in Pummel Duels.

That said, can anyone give any ideas how it could be implemented? For example, maybe it can be started like the Clashes in Injustice (except from the players clashing their normals, or from a different input), and they do quick time events during the duel, and the one who succeeds in the most QTEs wins.

Any other ideas?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't some of the DBZ fighting games essentially have that? Some kind of rock-paper-scissors thing where a defender had to stop the attacker getting more hits in?

TrulyBritish:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't some of the DBZ fighting games essentially have that? Some kind of rock-paper-scissors thing where a defender had to stop the attacker getting more hits in?

I was thinking more along the lines of competitive Simon. Imagine the Infinite Climax QTEs from Bayonetta, but each successful QTE pushes your side of a shared meter towards your opponent's. Once it's all over, the player who did the best wins the duel (and, if there's a tie, the duel cancels out, and blasts both players back).

Like, imagine competitive DDR, but there are controller button prompts, and, instead of either a music video or a dance in the background, it's the characters beating the crap out of each other.

inu-kun:
But button mashing does require skill, I mean it's a rather primitive skill but a skill nonetheless. It's also a good way to change gears for a short period and raise adrenaline.

I think it wouldd have been better to put it as an option you can cancel for serious players rather than removed it for everyone.

Point, though, to be fair, you can see their reasoning. One of which being that it'd be way in the favor of stick users (much easier to play a fightstick like a pianist playing Through the Fire and Flames than to do the same on a pad).

Other than that, yeah, I can see it bringing the hype (hell, it could be an EVO moment for a pad user to outmash a speedy-fingered stick player).

Anyone else have any ideas?

How to make an fighting game fan salty: mention button mashing.

RaikuFA:
How to make an fighting game fan salty: mention button mashing.

And the plan is to theorycraft a way to incorporate Pummel Duels without the need to mash

Still looking for ideas here, if anyone would like to contribute. Otherwise, how would my "competitive Simon" idea sound?

The JoJo fighting games did pummeled duels pretty well. Anarchy Reigns is a close second as far as competitive fighting games go. Though that one is technically more of a online brawler.

To me though the best Pummel duels will always be Bayonetta, God Hand, and also Asura's Wrath.

CoCage:
The JoJo fighting games did pummeled duels pretty well. Anarchy Reigns is a close second as far as competitive fighting games go. Though that one is technically more of a online brawler.

To me though the best Pummel duels will always be Bayonetta, God Hand, and also Asura's Wrath.

The last few are good points, but I'm looking for ideas on how they can be implemented without button mashing (as button mashing was the reason they're being downplayed in Dragon Ball FighterZ).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here