Situations where YOU are the monster!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This comes up in a number of games - video or not - where you can be worse than the actual bad guys, either by the game's design, or because of choices that you make, or even by random circumstances.

So, when's that ever happened to you, and what happened?

I'll just post one that happened today, since I thought of it. There's a tabletop game called Betrayal at House on the Hill which has you exploring a tile-set of rooms for a spooky mansion. You are essentially a Scooby Gang, or the Mystery Skulls, or what-have-you. You explore this place, looking for bad omens that will start the haunt, and there's a ton of different ones to get.

So, we're lasting a long time, getting our characters strengthened up against whatever happens. My character managed to obtain a gratuitous amount of things. It started with a bloody dagger that attached itself to my veins via some creepy tubing, and then I got a card that actually cause me to get an Evil Dead hand. AND GET THIS! I actually drew a chainsaw to replace it with when I lopped it off!

So, there's this little elementary boy walking around with a knife attached to one hand, and a chainsaw replacing the other now. All I need is a Boomstick now. Well, somebody else got it. Yes, the game actually had a Boomstick. Instead, I got a revolver in my mouth, a med-kit hanging off one shoulder, a magic feather in my cap, a strange device under one arm, a camcorder under the other, and my pockets full of omens.

Meanwhile, the tough-as-nails jock's been hitting every room with stat bonuses and finds a suit of armor while the only lady currently on the team gets maximum speed. When the haunt begins and the old man teammate gets killed by a mad man and zummons a bunch of zombies, we're MORE than prepared them. Oh, and let's not forget the Evil Dead stuff going on, and now we get zombies.

I effectively turned into Ash today. How are you?

In Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, there's two main endings the community has titled: "Peace" and "Anarchy". The Japanese community called them "Bonds" and "Massacre". Try to guess what the massacre route entails.

And no, this isn't an "ends justify the means" thing, you literally do it to benefit yourself.

I mean, thats prettmuch the standard third option for all the dozens or hundreds of games that use Bioware morality system (Good guy, wants to get paid guy, guy who's psychotic and should be shunned from all around him, but for plot reasons is just kind of bloodthirsty in all important interactions).

PRototype comes to mind though, Despite making some pretenses of a dual morality system like its counterpart in inFamous. It really doesn't work out that you're anything but an inhuman monster devouring people and as much a threat as the other infected monsters/hybrids. To the point Alex literally is a villain in the 2nd.

Silent hill 3. Claire Tells vincent that she sees and kills monsters. Vincent replies " Those people look like monsters to you". Clair looks horrified at the thought that she killed people instead of monsters. Vincent goes "lol jk".

i still to thos day believe vincent.

Mass Effect Andromeda: Letting my teammates glitch into combat before me so they take the brunt of weapons fire. (Also unnecessarily killing all planet life merely defending its' territory).

SOMA: I let Simon 2 live

Undertale: I turned it off and refused to play, choosing instead to pet and feed my cat while abusing class A narcotics.

Life: I continue to survive, wasting vital resources.

Xsjadoblayde:
Undertale: I turned it off and refused to play, choosing instead to pet and feed my cat while abusing class A narcotics.

But... You can play as a very good person though.

Arnoxthe1:

Thus the source of thine monsterhood ;)

One day I'll check out Soul Nomad's Demon Path and kill all my friends for the lulz. My PS2 controller is busted though, not on my priority list at the moment.

Xsjadoblayde:

Arnoxthe1:

das deep man

Risk of Rain's many possible characters.

The monsters on the planet are all just reflexively responding to a threat to their eco-system, and the main villain is hinted at having been provoked too.

It's the epilogue text that really sells how bad the experience was for your chosen hero, though, what with all the nonstop violence and jamming unknown rando artifacts and mad science experiments into their body.

Here's a few.

Do you feel like a hero yet?

TrulyBritish:

*Does not know the reference, so instead...*

FalloutJack:

TrulyBritish:

*Does not know the reference, so instead...*

It's from Spec Ops: The Line, referring to the main character/player.
Though thanks for that link, think I've found another band to look into.

Splatoon 2. the Salmon did nothing wrong.

In assassins creed games you convince yourself you are still doing this for revenge as you throw guards off roofs for fun, smack strangers with brooms and stab indiscriminately......though just enough not to desync and lose a mission of course.

God of War, Demons Souls, and Bloodborne.

Arnoxthe1:

Xsjadoblayde:

Arnoxthe1:

das deep man

Lol.
To be fair, I intend to turn it on again at some point. I just needed to pet and feed my cat and consume class A narcotics.

I think the recent Wolfensteins are pretty good at conveying this whilst still dressing you up as a hero. Now we know in Wolfenstein the nazis are a bunch of unethical, immoral, irredeemable creatures who appear to have no value for human life for anyone who isn't them... or at least that is how their leaders are and the foot soldiers are just going along with it. I mean what most people forget is that the foot soldiers are people too with families and everything and going by the conversations, collectibles and random snippets you can gather that quite a number of them don't bite into the whole ubermensch and Germany is supreme and true leader of the world and that most characters who interact and start with "Hey isn't Germany doing great? We have [blank] now." usually ends with an awkward silence and the characters quickly separating. So BJ is fighting and killing nazis for the greater good and essentially fighting back against fascism but there's no denying that he's also quite a monster in principle and to the nazis. He relishes in brutally killing and taking down singular soldiers whilst mowing down throngs of others with an assortment of weapons and it's pretty clear as you play the game that his whole mentality and behavior is only slightly removed from the guy who takes pleasure in removing the scalps of nazi soldiers in IB.

Oh and in Abe's Oddysee you have the opinion of killing off all the mudokons you're meant to save and get rewarded in kind for callousness at the end.

Lisa - Your character starts bad and gets worse, to put it mildly.

The whole genre of open world crime games, I think. GTA, Saints Row, etc. I mean, sometimes there is a pretense that the people you kill and hurt also suck but you are basically a crime lord in those games. Strategy games, mostly. I once murdered my twin sons in Crusader Kings II because I was old and wanted to make sure my lands where all inherited by my eldest son. (gavelkind, man) Most actions you take in EUIV are immoral. I mean the casu belli is literally called 'imperialism'. Casu belli means 'reason for war'. How is imperialism a reason? It's just what you do. Those times in civIV when I nuked half the world, reducing the earth population by 30% and making a similar amount of land unlivable and useless. Also the times when I wiped out the natives of half of indonesia, preventively in EUIV. And then there are the mindgrinder kind of ways that you can use your units in strategy games. The amount of hoplites that were killed to get Arkantos into troy weren't worth it. Evil runs of RPG's. You can advice Jack that 'she is a killer' in ME2, after you've talked her into killing somebody, during her loyalty mission, which is fucked up. You can do a legion run in fallout new vegas. The genre of pikmin-alikes, pikmin (especially part 2), overlord, little kings story, all have you play as a somehow corrupt ruler charactar with varying degrees of subtlety about it. While I don't play horror I do hear a common common trope is to have the main charactar be blamed for the situation in some way. I know this was the case in Amnesia. You are still not as bad as the actual bad guys but pretty bad.

Also, I don't know precisely where this rebellion in FTL came from, but I feel like I'm pretty harsh. I mostly blow up my enemies for the scrap. I'll probably have killed about a hundred people that way once (well, if, to be fair) I reach the ending. I'm also pretty sure that in hotline miami you are mostly just insane. Those who have played XCOM: Enemy Unknown will also remember that Vahlen made a point of rubbing it in that her experimenting was cruel and lethal. Part 2 even has her successor Tygan complain about her brutish research methods at some point. You are still pretty much the good guy, but it is worth mentioning.

Somebody already mentioned spec ops: the line.

In Psychonaughts, after defeating Linda the lake monster, you get to dive into her mind. In her mind, you are the monster Goggalor.

Dead Cells - You are not actually an undead warrior like in the souls games. Instead you are this little green blob that is puppeteering a corpse for some unknown purpose. I don't even consider this a spoiler since it literally happens in the first second of the game.

Drakengard 1 & 3. Though in 3, it's more of a grey area. Yoko Taro meant the first game to be a Deconstruction of One Man Army/Dynasty Warriors style of games.

The Suffering, should you go for the evil path in both games.

No More Heroes 1, when you think about it.

GTA in general and Saints Row 2.

Doom (2016) - As far as the demons are concerned, you are the monster to them. How ironic.

Saints Row 2: You immediately start moving into the rival gangs territory and each time they dare try and push back you pay them back a hundred fold and burn everything they have to the ground. Sigh. I wish they would remaster that game.

I know that both Jade Empire and Knights of the Old Republic gave you the opportunity to become a huge fuckin bastard despite the fact that you might have been playing as the good guy up until a certain point

Wait is this thread about being a more horrible person than the enemies in a game? or about being more overpowered? The title suggests the former while the OP's story is the latter, and the latter is almost universal in games anyway.

TrulyBritish:

Haven't even played that and I get where you're coming from, buddy. Is it still worth playing if I already know about the WP scene?

Squilookle:
Wait is this thread about being a more horrible person than the enemies in a game? or about being more overpowered? The title suggests the former while the OP's story is the latter, and the latter is almost universal in games anyway.

TrulyBritish:

Haven't even played that and I get where you're coming from, buddy. Is it still worth playing if I already know about the WP scene?

I just played it recently. It's a decent shooter. There are a lot of things to like about the game. Mileage may vary on the story. I didn't like the ending, or the opinions that the developers were trying to push on you.

God of War. Kratos is a fucken monster, the new game should be about the family of one of the random innocent people he killed taking revenge or another pantheon coming after him for destroying the world.

CoCage:
Drakengard 1 & 3. Though in 3, it's more of a grey area. Yoko Taro meant the first game to be a Deconstruction of One Man Army/Dynasty Warriors style of games.

Didn't Nier pretty much go "BTW, you're just making everything worse and not helping anyone"?

I did find it amusing with Drakengard where almost every ending other then the first one results in terrible things for humanity....and you have to work harder to get them. If you 100% the game, you end up dooming another world(Nier's) as well.

It might be easier to list video games where you aren't the monster. Even Mario punches Yoshis to force feed them and make them vomit... then sacrifices them to instadeath drops for the sake of a double-jump. Not to mention the straight up murder of living mushroom kingdom citizens just to steal their coins.

Samus hunts endangered species, Lara is a thief, Snake shouldn't be... there really aren't heroes in video games. Once a player gets his hands on them.

Squilookle:

Well, it's a littl of Column A and a little Column B. The two seem to go hand in hand. For instance, with that story...

We're talking about a child, a boy that probably hasn't hit puberty. Halfway through the game, he's become half Ash Williams and half Jason Voorhees. Because of the stuff he has and because of how it's affected him, he's potentially worse than the threat that came up in the game. If this happened in real life, everyone who knows him would be shitting their pants.

Dalisclock:

I did find it amusing with Drakengard where almost every ending other then the first one results in terrible things for humanity....and you have to work harder to get them. If you 100% the game, you end up dooming another world(Nier's) as well.

A lot of games with multiple ends have endings where even though it's harder to get them everybody ends up worse off. Nippon Ichi has quite a few games where getting the bad ending requires significantly more work than getting the good or even normal ending, and you usually end up turning into this massively powerful being that slaughters everybody.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto, quite literally. When playing as Kabuto you are playing as a Godzilla inspired monster that eats innocent, harmless aliens to evolve into an increasingly gigantic and terrifying monster. Now that's a game I'd like to see remastered.

Squilookle:

TrulyBritish:

I'd say it's still worth it, though I do think that it might not be as good if you're aware of the twist. It's a fairly fun shooter with neat ideas. The gameplay's a bit too generic for me to consider worth full price, but it should be reasonable cheaper now.

Most power fantasies...

Of course, those games usually don't point out the possibility; but it's funny when you think about it.

Shadow of Mordor's DLC, The Bright Lord. Build an army of brainwashed slaves, then murder them at your convenience, all the while ranting in cutscenes about reshaping Mordor in your image while your slaves gaze on adoringly. For all the complaints about liberties taken with the lore, I thought they perfectly illustrated Tolkien's theme that using the tools of evil for some imagined good will only corrupt the user.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here