Playstation 4 Racing Games

What would you say are the three best racing games for the Playstation 4? What makes them great? Any cons to the game?

As far as I can tell, the closest thing to an answer to Microsoft's Forza games is Gran Turismo Sport. I watched a youtube review that found it:
1. Lacking;
2. Mostly an online experience.

Am I correct in thinking that online games tend to have to have the quality of their graphics toned down? Is that the case in this instance?

Your advice is appreciated.

Well, I do know of two good ones, not three.

1. DriveClub, from 2014. I've gone on record as saying that this feels more like a Need For Speed game than anything released under that label in 12 years. Well, it had been 12 years when DC released. The fact that so few of the game's courses are city streets or purpose-built racing complexes combines with the fact that most of the roster is Euro Exotics and the rest is mostly Detroit Muscle, making it feel more like an NFS game should than any NFS since Hot Pursuit 2. Sadly, the music in the game is shit, but that's minor. The vehicle handling seems to fall into a perfect slot of not being full arcade, but not being full simulator either; but that said, damage effects are drastically turned down compared to CodeMasters' games like GRiD and DiRT.
  2. Mantis Burn Racing, a little indie racer I've got on Steam. I even did a review of it.As such, I won't be describing it here. Go there instead.

Thanks! I'll take a look at DriveClub. Sounds my speed.

I was just looking at my account and apparently wrc 5 fia world rally championship. Supposed to be easy, so, right about my speed.

Not really my thing, with most of them having lackluster or no single player, not having local buddies around (if the game even allows it), and online latency tending to make them horrible for that.

Project CARs is the one some of my buddies prettymuch swear by. Don't think its an exclusive, but it is on PS4.

Alas, the PS4 is kind of lacking when it comes to racing games. Personally I think GT Sport is the best of them, and significantly better than DriveClub, but it definitely has its faults, and since you can probably get DriveClub pretty cheaply now it wouldn't be a bad idea to give it a go. It's not bad, if you want something a bit more arcadey and don't mind the 30fps frame rate.

Project Cars is decent, and Assetto Corsa is one of the best racing games around, but... I've only played the PC versions of those games. Apparently the PS4 version of AC in particular has suffered from the conversion. But it is a good game, and it was on sale on PSN for super cheap last I checked (at least in my part of the world).

Don't know about other racers on PS4, but I can highly recommend DiRT Rally.

Although I admit WRC5 looks great as well.

I used to own all the Gran Turismo games (up to #5) but I just got sick of the system where you have to earn licenses. The lack of damage models really just twisted the knife after having to earn these stupid "licenses" that locked you out of portions of the game. The dedication to supposed "realism" didn't sit well with me either, after I copied a test I had read about online where you just block a lane with your car and see all the AI opponents drive straight into you for the most part.

So yeah, just DiRT for me from now on; a game that had crazy damage models back when i first played Colin McRae 04. And a series where you can actually flip your car, due mainly to the fact that the devs bothered to model the underside and included flips in their physics engine. Playing the first DiRT was a wake up call for me. It was the first time I got the sensation of the back end of the car oversteering despite me playing on a 2D interface. I could feel the car slipping out from under me.

Fucking fantastic.

Gran Turismo is ridiculously dry, boring...I used to like them, but trying the latest one is impressively dull. Whoever designed the menu and general interface needs moving to something closer to their ambitions, like spreadsheet maintenance and tax returns. Plus the mini-buys.

Forza is a handy mix of arcade/simulation that doesn't have much competition. But Microsoft love to milk their IPs with anti-consumer practices, so hopefully won't be long before others improve on the formula.

Drive Club is a reliable start.

Dirt Rally is great. Exciting, difficult, scary. There isn't really an arcade setting though, but I hear Dirt 4 adds that. Also...no annoying DLC giving you the feeling of an incomplete package! Literally one of the easiest genres that can be peppered with all sorts of extra bollocks with the flimsiest of justifications is, as far as I'm aware, keeping it very simple.

Wipeout: Omega Collection.

Riptide: Renegade (I think).

Beach buggy racing (shit name, alright Mario Kart replacement).

There's a lot of sub-par titles out there however.

Buffoon1980:

Assetto Corsa is one of the best racing games around.

$30 PC or PS4 for now. This is the 1st I've read of this title... looks like something worth keeping an eye out on...

Frezzato:

I've got some Dirt games on PS3 and PC... they are great. I'll check this out too, thanks!

Xsjadoblayde:
Gran Turismo is ridiculously dry, boring...

So upsetting. That was Sony's answer to Microsoft's Forza which has the right mix of arcade and sim for me with such pretty graphics. I'm told to look at Dirt, Assetto Corsa, Drive Club. Will do.

Gorfias:

Buffoon1980:

Assetto Corsa is one of the best racing games around.

$30 PC or PS4 for now. This is the 1st I've read of this title... looks like something worth keeping an eye out on...

Frezzato:

I've got some Dirt games on PS3 and PC... they are great. I'll check this out too, thanks!

Xsjadoblayde:
Gran Turismo is ridiculously dry, boring...

So upsetting. That was Sony's answer to Microsoft's Forza which has the right mix of arcade and sim for me with such pretty graphics. I'm told to look at Dirt, Assetto Corsa, Drive Club. Will do.

Honestly, if GT is too 'dry' for you, I don't think you're going to find AC all that interesting. It's definitely dry, although still a better game than GT IMO. But then, I like both of them. But hey, it's all just opinions!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here