Cup Head
9.8% (11)
9.8% (11)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Escapist Game of the Year

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

hanselthecaretaker:

infohippie:
I really don't think any game that is exclusive to a single platform should even be up for consideration. So that would rule out Persona 5, Zelda, and Horizon Zero Dawn.

That would eliminate many of the best-made games. Anyways what I don?t like is that, besides these types of awards shows being generic popularity contests, the categories are almost like what you?d find for movies. There should be more game-centric categories that reward feats of excellence specific to the gaming medium.

Platform exclusives are a cancer on the industry and should be stamped out with extreme prejudice.

Johnny Novgorod:
Wouldn't that also rule out Super Mario Odyssey? That game can only be played on Switch; Zelda at least runs on Wii U as well. Persona 5 is also on PS3.

Yes, it should rule out any Mario game as well. PS3/PS4 aren't really different platforms, just different generations of the same platform. The only time a platform exclusive should be at all acceptable is when it literally technically can't be made to work on the other current generation machines.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:
Xenoblade Chronicles X was pretty meh.

Xenoblade Chronicles Wii was a million times better in all honesty

Google is the best!!!

and yet ironically, Xenoblade Chronicles X was still my GOTY for 2015. funny that.

comparatively to the first Xenoblade Chronicles, XCX was pretty meh. doesn't mean it wasn't great game, just "meh" in comparison to it's predecessor.

infohippie:

hanselthecaretaker:

infohippie:
I really don't think any game that is exclusive to a single platform should even be up for consideration. So that would rule out Persona 5, Zelda, and Horizon Zero Dawn.

That would eliminate many of the best-made games. Anyways what I don?t like is that, besides these types of awards shows being generic popularity contests, the categories are almost like what you?d find for movies. There should be more game-centric categories that reward feats of excellence specific to the gaming medium.

Platform exclusives are a cancer on the industry and should be stamped out with extreme prejudice.

Johnny Novgorod:
Wouldn't that also rule out Super Mario Odyssey? That game can only be played on Switch; Zelda at least runs on Wii U as well. Persona 5 is also on PS3.

Yes, it should rule out any Mario game as well. PS3/PS4 aren't really different platforms, just different generations of the same platform. The only time a platform exclusive should be at all acceptable is when it literally technically can't be made to work on the other current generation machines.

My first point still stands though, and here's why it matters in a nutshell.

The key is it depends on the company. Not saying Sony it perfect by any means, as they've had their fair share of clusterf*cks. However, it's clear that Microsoft still doesn't know what the hell they're doing when they can't buy their way to success.

The other thing is, it's almost always big third party multiplatform publishers that are guilty of the biggest cancer in gaming, which is currently microtransactions, on disc dlc, online-only gameplay, etc. We can't simply homogenize the industry just because people don't want to have to buy another box to play a certain game or two. The whole industry would need to change its business model if that were going to be at all possible, because otherwise the lowest common denominator will ultimately always win out, and then everyone suffers. Competition works for a reason, but at the same time yes, it needs to have reasonable parameters to prevent corruption.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:
Xenoblade Chronicles X was pretty meh.

Xenoblade Chronicles Wii was a million times better in all honesty

Google is the best!!!

and yet ironically, Xenoblade Chronicles X was still my GOTY for 2015. funny that.

comparatively to the first Xenoblade Chronicles, XCX was pretty meh. doesn't mean it wasn't great game, just "meh" in comparison to it's predecessor.

You obviously don't play enough games then. Any game that is "meh" in comparison to my favorite game ever is not GOTY material for any year.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Google is the best!!!

You obviously don't play enough games then. Any game that is "meh" in comparison to my favorite game ever is not GOTY material for any year.

2015 was a pretty slow year for the most part.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

I'd be guessing it featured many people's current game of the generation.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Yeah totally slow...

I mean who cared about games like Witcher 3, Splatoon (see, I included a Ninty game so you don't dismiss this list out of hand), Just Cause 3, Metal Gear Solid V, Undertale, Shovelknight, Bloodborne, etc.[1]

Avnger:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yeah totally slow...

I mean who cared about games like Witcher 3, Splatoon (see, I included a Ninty game so you don't dismiss this list out of hand), Just Cause 3, Metal Gear Solid V, Undertale, Shovelknight, Bloodborne, etc.[1]

i'm saying Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is my PERSONAL GOTY for 2017 and Xenoblade Chronicles X was my personal GOTY for 2015. I don't give a crap what everyone else chooses as their own personal GOTY.

you can have Witcher III or Metal Gear Solid V etc as your personal GOTY for 2015 if you want. i don't give a crap about that.

as for Splatoon. Splatoon is a great game. but Xenoblade Chronicles X was still better than the original Splatoon in my opinion. Splatoon probably would have been my runner up GOTY for 2015. there was other stuff like Mario Maker and Tokyo Mirage Sessions but XCX and Splatoon were the best Nintendo games released in 2015 in MY opinion. with XCX only just beating Splatoon as my personal GOTY for that year.

My GOTY was not on the list.

It was Pyre. Seriously, just the kind of game the world needs more of. Something that manages to be optimistic without being saccharine. Have everything I could possible want in a game: engaging gameplay, memorable and likable characters, great use of music, amazing artwork and effective (if limited to one person) voicework.

The Sexy Brutale would be my second choice. Its more like if you combined Groundhog day with an Agatha Christie novel and had it edited by Ken Levine.

Yoshi178:
Splatoon is a great game. but Xenoblade Chronicles X was still better than the original Splatoon in my opinion. Splatoon probably would have been my runner up GOTY for 2015. there was other stuff like Mario Maker and Tokyo Mirage Sessions but XCX and Splatoon were the best Nintendo games released in 2015 in MY opinion. with XCX only just beating Splatoon as my personal GOTY for that year.

GOTY doesn't mean best game Nintendo made that year, it means best game of ALL the games that release.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:
Splatoon is a great game. but Xenoblade Chronicles X was still better than the original Splatoon in my opinion. Splatoon probably would have been my runner up GOTY for 2015. there was other stuff like Mario Maker and Tokyo Mirage Sessions but XCX and Splatoon were the best Nintendo games released in 2015 in MY opinion. with XCX only just beating Splatoon as my personal GOTY for that year.

GOTY doesn't mean best game Nintendo made that year, it means best game of ALL the games that release.

it's a shame then that XCX WAS the best game released in 2015 then.

Like i said. it was a slow year.

Yoshi178:

For Nintendo...

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

For Nintendo...

For Sony, Microsoft and PC as well...

:3

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

For Nintendo...

Johnny Novgorod:

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

For Nintendo...

So Sony got nothing to talk about at all i see.

Yoshi178:

I don't give a crap what everyone else chooses as their own personal GOTY.

Then why are you even in this thread? Exactly what discussion value do you provide other than telling everyone else to go fuck themselves?

*copied from another thread cuz I'm running out of ways to say how awesome this shit is*

Resident Evil 7.

Not only does it refresh the series and take it into exciting new directions, it manages to inject key elements that made the series so special in the first place. It's beautiful, plays super tight, has some of the best sound design ever, and can we all give a round of applause to a series first: a resident evil game with actual well written characters, dialogue, and voice acting.

Dirty Hipsters:

Yoshi178:

I don't give a crap what everyone else chooses as their own personal GOTY.

Then why are you even in this thread?

Why exactly do i need a reason to be on any thread in this place?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here