Doki Doki Literature Club! ~Uwa! I feel like I'm dying inside >.<'

It's fantastic! If you want a highly out of the ordinary visual novel that really does something different go play it!
It's free and you can download it from Steam or the developer's website. You have no excuses, go do it now! The game takes a while to really get going, but it's all the better for the slow buildup. That's all you need to know.

image image image image

Looks unwholesome and like it smells of used cheeseburgers...

Yeah, watched an LP of it (the best way to enjoy VNs). Cute little game with some solid twists. Seems like exactly the think that would be up @Marik2's ally.

JUST MONIKA

jhoroz:

Silentpony:

I think that sums up you and 90% of your fucking posts here, you fucking autistic forced pony faggot

You're just so edgy and cool! I mean how can anyone argue with you Rick and Morty avatar! You must have a quadruple digit IQ and just love Pickle Rick!
Oh beautiful Edge-Lord! I am in awe of your razor sharp, clever edge!
Truly you must be an epicly smart and cool exemplar of humanity, with friends and family who love and respect you. We do not deserve your edge here, oh edge lord!

I've got a feeling it will be one of those games where everything looks nice and then one of the girls commits suicide because you were mean to her and takes you along with her.

Drathnoxis:
You have no excuses!

How about the fact I loathe visual novels with harem premises (dark twist or not) starring identical cut outs of the same girl differentiated only by hair length and/or boob size and featuring a shit-ton of text which goes to great lengths to either state the obvious or describe in minute detail things that aren't being shown because there was no budget for animation?

Good for you if you enjoy them, sorry if that comes across as curt, but it seems every year people hail the coming of a new anime-style visual novel that's totally a game changer for the genre (even if it looks and plays the same for the first 10 hours but by the end it has morphed into something actually interesting). I couldn't stomach Katawa Shoujo and the first 40 minutes of Doki Doki are more of the same, I don't care if the waifu gives you a blowjob after the credits.

Johnny Novgorod:

Drathnoxis:
You have no excuses!

How about the fact I loathe visual novels with harem premises (dark twist or not) starring identical cut outs of the same girl differentiated only by hair length and/or boob size and featuring a shit-ton of text which goes to great lengths to either state the obvious or describe in minute detail things that aren't being shown because there was no budget for animation?

Actually the girls all look very distinct!

Edit: Saw your edit. Well if you can't stand visual novels, then I guess that's the end of it. Good for you to have given it a chance anyway. You do need to be able to stomach the base genre of any work to appreciate the standouts. Especially since a large part of the appeal is still forming a connection with the characters. Someone could show me the best heavy metal song in existence and I still wouldn't be able to stand it.

Drathnoxis:
It's fantastic! If you want a highly out of the ordinary visual novel that really does something different go play it!
It's free and you can download it from Steam or the developer's website. You have no excuses, go do it now! The game takes a while to really get going, but it's all the better for the slow buildup. That's all you need to know.

image image image image

Oh man! o_o Now it's changed to just Monika! I wonder how that happened? I definitely had the other girls in there too when I made the thread... but who can complain about more Monika, right?

Well played, that's perfect!
At least I hope it was a mod that did it o_o

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Saw a lets play of the first hour, then got into playing it myself before any of the twists began to happen. There was definitely some need to have some stuff expanded on more with some of the characters, and a bit more choice would've been nice. All said, as a free game and a passion project, it was enjoyable.

BreakfastMan:
Yeah, watched an LP of it (the best way to enjoy VNs). Cute little game with some solid twists. Seems like exactly the think that would be up @Marik2's ally.

JUST MONIKA

Yeah saw a play through and it was good. I can write an essay on what I thought about it.

Marik2:

BreakfastMan:

JUST MONIKA

Yeah saw a play through and it was good. I can write an essay on what I thought about it.

Waiting for that!

Drathnoxis:

Marik2:

BreakfastMan:

JUST MONIKA

Waiting for that!

Sorry, can't type that out on the phone.

Marik2:

Drathnoxis:

Marik2:

Waiting for that!

Sorry, can't type that out on the phone.

Voice recognition features are getting pretty good these days, you could probably just dictate the thing. Or write it out on paper and take a photo and post that.

Completely agreed, DDLC grabs by the undercarriage and doesn't let go for an instant.
Also, while all of the characters are pretty good, I'd say Yuri's a cut above the rest.

There's only one thing that you need to know about this game:

Just Monika.

Also: it is truly the best VN I've ever played. :^)

Drathnoxis:

image image image image

Silentpony:

jhoroz:

Silentpony:

I think that sums up you and 90% of your fucking posts here, you fucking autistic forced pony faggot

You're just so edgy and cool! I mean how can anyone argue with you Rick and Morty avatar! You must have a quadruple digit IQ and just love Pickle Rick!
Oh beautiful Edge-Lord! I am in awe of your razor sharp, clever edge!
Truly you must be an epicly smart and cool exemplar of humanity, with friends and family who love and respect you. We do not deserve your edge here, oh edge lord!

What the hell did you do to that guy?

On topic, the game sounds like it has a really interesting premise. But visual novels are sooooo boring. I have books to read if all I wanted to do was read, Visual Novels are one step below Telltale games for me and I hate Telltale games. I don't care how good the story is, I play video games for more than story.

CritialGaming:
SNIP

I honestly have no idea who he is. I don't recognize the name, but maybe I posted ponies in a thread of his? No idea.

CritialGaming:

On topic, the game sounds like it has a really interesting premise. But visual novels are sooooo boring. I have books to read if all I wanted to do was read, Visual Novels are one step below Telltale games for me and I hate Telltale games. I don't care how good the story is, I play video games for more than story.

It's not just a book with visuals. It does utilize the digital format quite a bit. This is an experience you could never get on paper. More would be spoilers though.

Marik2:
Spoiler Snip.

Do you mind putting that in a spoiler tag for people who haven't played the game?

I accidently clicked on a let's play video for it. Now youtube thinks I like underage cartoon girls. Goddamit Japan.

Silentpony:

CritialGaming:
SNIP

I honestly have no idea who he is. I don't recognize the name, but maybe I posted ponies in a thread of his? No idea.

Don't you DARE take credit for something I probably did. If anyone is posting ponies on a random thread its me. But yeah, I don't know who that guy is either, he sounds triggered.

Worgen:

Silentpony:

CritialGaming:
SNIP

Don't you DARE take credit for something I probably did....

Silentpony:

Worgen:

Silentpony:

Don't you DARE take credit for something I probably did....

It was okay, but it came pretty late to the game. Undertales done the the whole "mess with the game code" thing before, and Madoka's done the whole "cute show that's actually fucked up" thing before. It was nice for what it was, but the characters felt underdeveloped, and the narrative as whole felt like it was missing some meat. All it really had going for it was that twist half way through, and that's undermined by the trigger warning.

But I liked it, and it was effective at what it was trying to do, and it was *free*... So I can't hate on it too much can I? I got more then my money's worth. It's not the best VN I've ever played, but I reccomend it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here