Witchfire new FPS for PC from former People Can Fly/painkiller/bulletstorm devs

WOW The game looks really interesting. we need more old school shooters.

really like the revival of old school FPS genre.

Well, in that brief window.

If you added some crass wise-cracking. I'd just think it was a remake (again) of Shadow Warrior. Maybe that raise-up thing and the pistol animation, and the dash effect is some kind of stock asset or something.

Other then that observation, well, its a first person shooter, at least partially in a graveyard, with skeleton enemies. And a pistol and a shotgun. And some kind of magic I guess from the levitating thing and the dashy stuff. No real sense of gameplay at all.

Trailer showed what I hope is actual gameplay and the devs are solid. This one looks like it's worth following.

Looks cool, hopefully it's good. We have seen shooters finally advance past last-gen's obsession with MMSs, advanced movement has made its way back into the FPS.

That genuinely looks pretty awesome.

And based off the developers working on it, I hope we can expect a game that looks astounding but runs well, like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and a game that blends fluidity but impactful gunplay like Bulletstorm and Painkiller.

B-Cell:
we need more old school shooters.

This game has aim down sights so it's not that old school really.

Isn't there anyone around here that remembers Painkiller for it's massive and epic and varied map design (and kinda cool lore) instead of just for it's shooty shooty bang bang action?

B-Cell:

Why do you think everything is a revival of old school FPS? Surely if all these games have been revival's of "old school" FPS then "old school" FPS isn't being revived it is simply FPS now.

Also you have literally no information regarding this title or how it plays. So you can not make any assumptions about the game other than it might be cool.

MIGHT.

Looks awesome.
First thing I thought when I saw the trailer was it looked alot like Painkiller, good to hear it is actualy them.

See, I'm looking at the dodging thing, and I'm wondering if perhaps rather than an old school shooter, they might be going for a more Bloodborne-esque thing? According to their press release: "While Witchfire is also a shooter, we're aiming to make a game unlike anything we have done in the past, both in tone and in game mechanics."

Regardless, it looks interesting. Hopefully it will be good.

B-Cell:

Yeah cause what was Hard Reset?

B-Cell:

gigastar:

DUSK would like a word with both of you...

Arnoxthe1:

This game has aim down sights so it's not that old school really.

Isn't there anyone around here that remembers Painkiller for it's massive and epic and varied map design (and kinda cool lore) instead of just for it's shooty shooty bang bang action?

I do.

If that's something you appreciate, you, too, should check out DUSK.[1]

[1] Christ...I sound like tryin' to sell the game.

Vigormortis:

When i think retro shooters i think things where you move around at a million miles per hour and have somehow inexplicably managed to fit enough guns for a small militia into your back pocket and rewards (and sometimes punishes) you for exploring every nook and cranny of the level.

Not a game made in 2017 that looks like its going to given a run for its money in graphical fidelity by the original DOOM.

gigastar:

Vigormortis:

When i think retro shooters i think things where you move around at a million miles per hour and have somehow inexplicably managed to fit enough guns for a small militia into your back pocket and rewards (and sometimes punishes) you for exploring every nook and cranny of the level.

Not a game made in 2017 that looks like its going to given a run for its money in graphical fidelity by the original DOOM.

Id usually list it as:
High TTK - No dying from a three round burst shot or anything.
Projectile Physics - Actual projectiles. Not laser tag hitscan stuff.
Non-cover Based - Which goes hand in hand with the first part.
Quicker movement - No sprint toggling/unlimited sprint particularly.
Higher Weapon varieties/Carry Capacity. Non-ADS as a viable standard option.
Ammo/Health pickups, non-regenerating ammo. Probably not reloading beyond possible rate-of-fire animations like DOOM's Super-Shotty.
Enemies typically outside the convention of standard mooks with guns.
Broader/more exploratory level design, which facilitates secrets, bonus pickups, and sequence breaking weaponry.

The dodge move screams Shadow Warrior, and I like that. No melee shown though.

Still, one to look out for, at least.

gigastar:

Vigormortis:

Did you actually watch the videos? Because you've literally described DUSK.

* You run a bajillion miles per hour. (Or about a factor of a million faster if you bunny-hop)
* You can carry a metric fuck-ton of weapons.
* Every level is built around the risk/reward nature of exploration. Sometimes you'll find a secret stash of super items, other times you'll find a den of mini-bosses waiting to kill you.

You're complaining about a game that you think doesn't have the things you want when it literally has everything you say you want.

:/

Seth Carter:

Id usually list it as:
Ammo/Health pickups, non-regenerating ammo. Probably not reloading beyond possible rate-of-fire animations like DOOM's Super-Shotty.
Broader/more exploratory level design, which facilitates secrets, bonus pickups, and sequence breaking weaponry.

All applicable to DUSK.

Jesus, guys. Maybe look at gameplay videos of a game before you make judgement calls on what's actually in the game? I mean, I even did the leg work for you. You don't even have to go looking for the videos. They're right there. A single click away.

Looks pretty awesome apart from the fact that it's a shooter. I'd totally be interested if this were a first-person RPG in the vein of Elder Scrolls or something like that. But TBH I am so frickin' tired of guns. Let's have some more interesting first person games that aren't about just blasting everything in sight.

Vigormortis:

Seth Carter:

Id usually list it as:

All applicable to DUSK.

Jesus, guys. Maybe look at gameplay videos of a game before you make judgement calls on what's actually in the game? I mean, I even did the leg work for you. You don't even have to go looking for the videos. They're right there. A single click away.

I was replying to his thing, but watching the video. I'm somewhat in agreement with the general idea he put forth. Its clearly had more work put in then an asset flip, but lacks anything resembling baseline production value. Not just in graphics, but animations, sound. I can tell the man with no hands is firing that gun cause there's a cheap flash effect and some tiny blood spatter. But there's no impact to it, the monster doesn't flinch, the gun doesn't make much (any?) noise.

I can prettymuch get Catacomb/Wolf3d/Doom/Heretic/Blood/Quake already. If you're just going to regurgitate that gameplay seemingly without much new on offer, at least polish it up instead of being rivaled or outdone by games that didn't have 20 years of advancement to lean on.

gigastar:

B-Cell:

a bit shit

Seth Carter:

I was replying to his thing, but watching the video. I'm somewhat in agreement with the general idea he put forth.

But his 'idea' was that the game is nothing like the FPS games of old, which is demonstrably untrue.

Its clearly had more work put in then an asset flip, but lacks anything resembling baseline production value. Not just in graphics, but animations, sound.

Having played through the game's first Episode, and having talked with people who've played the multiplayer (which was prominently featured at this years QuakeCon), I can tell you that it has a lot more work ('production value') than even some triple-A games do nowadays.

I can tell the man with no hands is firing that gun cause there's a cheap flash effect and some tiny blood spatter. But there's no impact to it, the monster doesn't flinch, the gun doesn't make much (any?) noise.

Sorry, I just can't agree here. DUSK is one of the best feeling FPS games I've played in years. It feels exactly like the very best of the FPS games of old. Tight controls and fluid movement. And you can definitely hear (and feel) the 'boom' of the super shotty when you fire it into a monsters face.

I can prettymuch get Catacomb/Wolf3d/Doom/Heretic/Blood/Quake already. If you're just going to regurgitate that gameplay seemingly without much new on offer, at least polish it up instead of being rivaled or outdone by games that didn't have 20 years of advancement to lean on.

See, this makes zero sense to me and seems like a pointless nitpick just to justify your prior points. It's akin to saying, "I miss the old DOOM games. Why can't we have games like that now?", but when I present you with something that looks, sounds, and plays like a DOOM game, you come back with, "This game is too much like DOOM. Can't you give me something different?"

I mean, look...I honestly couldn't give a toss whether or not you or the other poster like the game. Hell, you can say you hate it and that you think it's utter shit. That's fine. Be my guest. But at least be consistent.

MC1980:

gigastar:

B-Cell:

a bit shit

Yup. And I say this as someone who actually liked the game.

I like how you didn't also put Vanishing of Ethan Carter devs. I guess you were as unimpressed and bored as I.

Anyway, I don't know Bulletstorm and Painkiller. I did notice the player aimed down the sights with both the rifle and pistol. Foot movement seems a bit slow and there's no jump, apparently. So, "old school" might not be the best choice of words.

It's a very brown game, that's for sure.

Wintermute:
It's a very brown game, that's for sure.

Gaming did have a prominent brown period about 10 years ago, so maybe they're reviving that as well.

Looks pretty neat from what I see. I really didn't like painkiller though, but then maybe this game won't actually be as buggy as that.

B-Cell:

Huh, I didn't know you were into that, B-Cell. Thought you were more of a GTA player.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here