Most disappointing game of 2017?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hopefully no one has done it yet, what in your opinion the most disappointing game of the year. It doesn't need to be complete shit, but rather a game with the biggest difference between the quality you expected and what you actually got.

I'll start in with the new South Park game, which I'll explain everything wrong with it with a meme:

Andromeda probably stands out most to me. Then again, Bioware have been on a downward trajectory for a while, so perhaps it's simply continuing the trend and shouldn't really have been a surprise. That said, I doubt anyone expected it to be quite such a shitshow.

I would say Mass Effect: Andromeda if I had any hopes for it higher than mediocre, which it still broke, but it wasn't that shocking. And honestly watching the whole thing make such a spectacle of itself was quite entertaining.

My biggest disappointment was Super Mario: Odyssey. Had high hopes for this one, I even bought a Switch specifically for this game. It wasn't shit, just extremely run of the mill. There was barely any challenge, your hat could kill or possess anything with two throws, the Broodels were lame, the game in general lacks personality, the new npc designs were flat and uninspired, and most of the levels felt like they were ripped from a Ratchet and Clank game. You also have all these fancy moves, but since none of them are required to get through the main game who cares. Even the stupid T-Rex featured in the marketing is just a gimmick that's there for 30 seconds and is then gone for the rest of the game. This entire game seems built around the idea of 'Aw look, Mario can dress up, and dance, and now he's a bullet bill, how cute.' Once I hit the third level, my mind was sudddenly remembering how much better Super Mario: Galaxy was.

Destiny 2.

Destiny 1 was a mess at launch. What it did well -- movement and gunplay, especially -- it did extremely well. What it did poorly -- story, gameplay loop, and frankly just about everything but movement and gunplay -- it did extremely poorly. Over the course of its run they managed to vastly improve just about everything -- aside from the in-game storytelling which remains an embarrassing dumpster fire to this day.

Destiny 2 launched with all the problems of Destiny 1 -- many of them problems long since fixed in Destiny 1. RPG elements were mostly stripped out or simplified to an insulting degree. Gunplay options were grossly simplified. Hidden under-the-hood mechanics -- loot timers, exp throttles, an always-on juggler (ammo doesn't drop for the weapon you're currently using, forcing you to swap weapons periodically regardless of whether there's any other gameplay reason to do so) -- sapped much of the fun out of activities. Gone were the interesting modifiers on Nightfalls, replaced by a strict timer that favored skipping and cheesing over actually playing the dungeon. No longer could you replay misisons at will and difficulty modes for missions and strikes were gone. No longer could you pick your PvP mode, as with strikes your only choice was to pick a playlist and play whatever mode you were randomly given.

Worst of all, Destiny 2 was clearly designed around Eververse and the lootboxes you could buy therein. Destiny 1 didn't have microtransactions at launch, they were added later with the claim that the income from them was needed to support the "Live Team" and the "free updates" (all of which, oddly enough, revolved around selling more Eververse items) they would bring.

For all of that, in Destiny 1 you could easily avoid Eververse, there was never any need to bother with it. In Destiny 2 Eververse is shoved in your face at every possibly chance. There are items you get in gameplay -- "Bright Engrams" -- that can only be decoded by going to Eververse, where you will conveniently also be presented with a list of things you can buy. Pretty much every cosmetic item in the game, things previously gotten randomly in-game or as rewards for particular game feats, now only come in loot boxes -- err, Bright Engrams.

Between cosmetics being gated behind Bright Engrams -- which, to be fair, you do earn some of in-game, exp-throttling aside (and that's another mess from good ol' Eververse) -- and the gross simplification of armor and weapons, the game ended up being a Looter-shooter sans the loot.

I've never been the biggest Destiny fan, I stuck with it more because so many of my friends were obsessed with it than anything else. It had it's good points and by the time they got to The Taken King it was a pretty damn good game overall, if you were willing to ignore the horrifically bad storytelling (the lore being orders of magnitude better) and cardboard cutout characters (Cayde-6? Oh yeah, he's the Irreverent Jokster(tm), right?). What everyone expected was Bungie to build on that and improve it some. What we got was a game that is arguably worse than Vanilla Destiny, let alone Year 3 Destiny, by every possible measure.

And then there's the DLC, The Curse of Osiris. The less said about that, the better.

The worst of it is that a lot of Destiny 2's problems are fundamental design issues that I don't think they can fix short of an FFXIV-style Realm Reborn rework, and I don't honestly see that happening.

Andromedas was definitely a big disappointment, but at the same time I didn't have much hope for it. The story was crap but that was pretty much par for the course at this point. The gameplay is more where it disappointed me, I was hoping for a nice polish and expansion of ME3 system. Instead I got a bunch of messy system that didn't really play with each others and a new class system that claim to do away with class while enforcing them just as much as before and also making them all less unique.

But P5 is probably my biggest disappointment overall, not because it's a terrible game (it's definitely better than ME:A) but because I had such high hope for it. But the main story was atrocious and I was almost skipping cutscene (as someone who never skip cutscene even when replaying game). Large part of that was just how awful the characters were throughout the main story. Ryuji is a garbage fire not suited to handle a butter knife, much less paranormal power. I still can't believe they actually went with a character like him for the "best friend" role. Morgana is also insanely annoying (and when you get Morgana and Ryuji together... just sigh), but it seems like the gameplay was made specifically so you'd hate him ("you're too tired from talking to your friend 5 minute to do other stuff today"). Futaba is awesome, but she just comes too late to save anything. Gameplay wise it was also pretty disappointing, social link power are way too strong, which makes getting the right link up in the right order far too important, you can't really progress them as you'd like since if you do you're just massively handicapping yourself (no early temperance or fortune will ruin any chance you have of maxing all the link). The castle also lacked a good system that would force you to stop partway trough them, it was far too easy to get near infinite SP early on so that you'd just complete all the castle in one day.

Overall it just felt like a massive step down from P3/4, which is a shame considering how long they got to develop it.

South Park wasn't that bad. Sure, it wasn't as good as Stick of Truth, it was alright. It did make me chuckle in places but on the (fractured but) whole it felt disjointed and just Ubisoft'd up, especially with the ending.

Nope, biggest disappointment this year was Valkyria Revolution. The first Valkyria for the main console since the first one and even though they'd changed the combat, I had high hopes. I love Valkyria Chronicles. What I got was cut scenes. Lots and lots of fucking cut scenes. I think I actually waited for 45 minutes while it told me it's story and gave me control of a character again. I don't even remember much of what the fuck was going on, the main characters were traitors And the princess had big tits. That's literally all I remember.

The combat admittedly was fun, it was simple but it was fun. No, the problem came when you came to fighting bosses and your normal attacks do almost zero damage. You have to use your special attacks, the game doesn't tell you and if you've not bought SP replenishing items, well, fuck you. You are stuck trying to beat this boss by very slowly chipping away at their health.

I stopped playing when, being utterly sick of cut scenes, I got to fight a Valkyria with one member of my team, I kicked her ass. My team turn up and she is now unbeatable. When I lost, it put me back to the start of the level and just fuck you game.

So, yeah...that's my most disappointing game of the year and if anyone does a 'worse game of the year' then this is my answer too.

Let's hope Valkyria Chronicles 4 can redress the situation.

The Walking Dead Season 3: Not enough Clem.

I will toss my hat in for Mass Effect Andromeda as well. I gave it a chance. I didn't buy into the hype that they were selling, but I was curious and excited enough to look forward to it.
And while it came nowhere near the original trilogy, I enjoyed it enough that I was ready to see if they could improve upon what they had.
And then they ran like cowards, and now I can't even look at that game. So sad.

inu-kun:
Hopefully no one has done it yet, what in your opinion the most disappointing game of the year. It doesn't need to be complete shit, but rather a game with the biggest difference between the quality you expected and what you actually got.

I'll start in with the new South Park game, which I'll explain everything wrong with it with a meme:

Either the game wasn't funny as in it was written poorly, or you have grown out of South Park's form of humor.

Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon.

I was hoping for a new plot like Black/White 2. Nope. Just the same Pokemon Railroad as before.

I guess, The Evil Within 2. Just like Resident Evil, the series fell apart after Mikami stopped directing. The sequel lacks the atmosphere the first game had and made the mistake of going (sort of) open world. I didn't finish it yet and I have no desire at the moment to get back to it.

Man o War: Corsair. The game just still feels like a Beta/Alpha even after it got out of early access.

I don't know how it is like now, unless they improved the melee combat and such I don't think I would play it again.

Wolfenstein - The New Colossus.

While they got a certain cohesion to their storytelling and tone after the identity-struggle of New Order, it seems like they took a lot of steps back in quality on the actual gameplay. From the game being almost ludicrously short, to bland level designs that lack any apparent attention to detail (among other things, crippling the stealth options of the first game, which actually had areas designed to facilitate that sort of thing.) Clunky elements like the awkward pickups of the first game persist, and new elements like the heavy weapons feel more clunky and awkward then awe-inspiring to use (the proto-BFG is downright awful), and the mech-suit upgrade stuff is just tacked on and offers no real utility.

Destiny 2 would the runner up. Not really disappointing, because once they put the Taken King team on it, I was expecting the good story missions followed by the garbage fire endgame. But disappointing nonetheless that they didn't seem to have any bleedover from the much better House of Wolves/Year Three team and their direction.

Seeing a bunch of Destiny 2 nominations in here... Seriously, people? Bungie is dead and Activision made sure of that. I have no idea why you all are so surprised. Destiny 2 wasn't the most disappointing for me at all because I never gave it any opportunity to hype me.

To qualify my answer, most disappointing isn't the same as worst.

My biggest disspointmet was South Park: The Fractured But Whole. I beat it in like two sittings, it wasn't nearly as funny or extreme, entire sections are blatantly walled off as DLC, the ending was shit, and even the boss battles were shit.

I mean Jared? That's it? He's not naked, doesn't have a thrubbing erection, he isn't actually jizzing on the player, nothing. Need I remind you, South Park, in the previous game we had full frontal nudity, walking in on a guy ass-fucking a horse, and an entire boss battle where you dodge your dad's balls and your mom's tits, set to the soundtrack of them fucking.

And the sequel in two Priests in a black-light room?

Hmm, I'm going to have to go with Divinity Original Sin 2. Not because its bad, its not, its actually really good, but when I played it I had just finished Shadowrun Dragonfall. Now the new Shadowrun games are pretty linier but have a really good difficulty curve and have very well done role playing and a very very tight well told story with really great characters. Divinity 2 certainly has much higher production values but the game just kinda throws you into it and leaves you with a lot of questions that it is in no hurry to answer, the characters are good but you don't get as much character building as you do in Shadowrun. Plus, the open nature of the world makes the difficulty curve really really wonky, its easy for things to be too easy or too hard.

If it wasn't for the fact I had just gone through Shadowrun, I don't think I would mind these things as much. Divinity Original Sins 2 is still a really good game, I mean I put over 100 hours into it to beat it, but its just not as tight as Shadowrun.

Seth Carter:

While they got a certain cohesion to their storytelling and tone after the identity-struggle of New Order, it seems like they took a lot of steps back in quality on the actual gameplay. From the game being almost ludicrously short, to bland level designs that lack any apparent attention to detail (among other things, crippling the stealth options of the first game, which actually had areas designed to facilitate that sort of thing.) Clunky elements like the awkward pickups of the first game persist, and new elements like the heavy weapons feel more clunky and awkward then awe-inspiring to use (the proto-BFG is downright awful), and the mech-suit upgrade stuff is just tacked on and offers no real utility.

Destiny 2 would the runner up. Not really disappointing, because once they put the Taken King team on it, I was expecting the good story missions followed by the garbage fire endgame. But disappointing nonetheless that they didn't seem to have any bleedover from the much better House of Wolves/Year Three team and their direction.

Agreed to all about Wolfenstein 2. While I did enjoy the game there were particular game design choices I disagreed with. Infamously, the stealth sections. Yeah you can get good to a point where you know where the enemies are, but they threw in way too many. When they do get the three I really hope they just remove them and go fool Doom with the game.

Nier automata is this to a lesser extent too. The combat was just okay, but I will praise the story and the soundtrack, which is better than the whole gameplay. I hated the fact that 9S's side of the story is just a repeat of 2Bs with some extra cutscenes growing in for context.

That and I hate Yoko Taro use of checkpoints. They feel really cheap. Especially if you are playing on hard or very hard mode, and in the ladder you die in one hit anyway, so screw that. Once I got all five of the main endings I feel don't need to play anymore and I did not even bother downloading the Colosseum DLC.

I am glad the game did well and helped Platinum out in a financial pinch. So I will give Nier:A some recognition in this regard.

Silentpony:

My biggest disspointmet was South Park: The Fractured But Whole. I beat it in like two sittings, it wasn't nearly as funny or extreme, entire sections are blatantly walled off as DLC, the ending was shit, and even the boss battles were shit.

I mean Jared? That's it? He's not naked, doesn't have a thrubbing erection, he isn't actually jizzing on the player, nothing. Need I remind you, South Park, in the previous game we had full frontal nudity, walking in on a guy ass-fucking a horse, and an entire boss battle where you dodge your dad's balls and your mom's tits, set to the soundtrack of them fucking.

I am surprised you didn't mention Dawn of War 3 :P

Majestic Manatee:

I never finished episode 5. I found most of the characters annoying, and the fact that Clem was out of my control after season 2, made me feel like the character was making decisions that I wouldn't have made, such as the implied relationship between her and Gabriel - who was an annoying character.

Another problem was that because you were playing as a new character, you shouldn't have any obligation to support or be nice to Clementine, yet because she has been a main character for the past two seasons, I found it difficult to do anything other than unquestionably support her.

And finally, I really disliked how they handled Clementine's story, leading up to Season 3. I get that they needed to railroad your choices down to one starting point for Season 3, but it retroactively made Season 2's ending kinda poor. I cried when I decided to kill Kenny and save Jane, because I thought it was the right choice - despite loving Kenny as a character. Of course, season 3 writes all of the characters off, regardless, making your choice entirely pointless.

Im actually drawing a blank here.

The last disappointment i played was Final Fantasy 15, which was late 2016.

Samtemdo8:

Cant be disappointed when a game looks like total trash before it comes out.

Majestic Manatee:

I was actually proud of how my Clem turned out. Couldn't bloody stand Gabriel though. How that kid could live in the middle of a freaking zombie apocalypse and still act like a moody-ass teenager who thinks that the end of the world is somehow less important than their own personal emo drama is beyond me.

ME: Andromeda was a disappointment, but since everyone saw it coming a mile off it came as no surprise. It was never going to be anything but. Destiny 2 however was the surprising one for just how bad it is at its core, and all of it intentional design decisions. It was intentionally made to be as bad as it is and that's perhaps the saddest part. Amongst its greatest sins:

- No public chat channels. An online, multiplayer game that's completely silent. Cannot chat, ask advice, LFG, no trade, NOTHING. Quieter than a mausoleum.
- No normal shotguns/Snipers. I don't care much about snipers, but I enjoy my shotties in shooters, but D2 locked these weapons into the "Power Weapon" category, so they can only hold about 5-7 rounds of ammo. Thus I'm only permitted to have about 10 seconds worth of fun at a time.
- Crazy long ability cooldowns. We're talking 5 minutes or so cooldown on your MAIN CLASS ABILITY. Sorry for caps, but I cannot stress how f*****g horrible it is. It lasts about 10-20secs every 5 minutes. They *really* don't want you have any fun or feeling like you're playing a unique class.
- All characters learn all skills for their class. There are no trees or specs, you learn everything. As such, your guardian is identical to every other same class player.
- Enemy scaling. Enemies take damage relative to the player. As you level you essentially get weaker and have to keep your gear "up to date" to do the same damage you were doing at lower levels. This complete negates the point of levelling, and further, means that a level 1 player does essentially IDENTICAL damage to the level 20 player. Monsters all have the same TTK (time to kill) regardless of your level.
- You don't get your mount until you've finished the f*****g game. Seriously, you have to play thru the whole bloody campaign before you get access to mounts. AFTER you've finished the game. Not during. AFTER.

So what you end up with a lonely multiplayer game, with the same gameplay at lvl 1 as lvl 20. You get to fire an identical series of weak, boring assault rifle/smg style weapons throughout, with small, brief windows of opportunity to use something different. You get to feel like a titan/hunter/warlock for 15-20secs at time, once per mission if you're lucky.

It looks good, it sounds good, but plays horribly and is the biggest disappointment of 2017. As a PC gamer, I've wanted to play a bungie game for many years since i've only heard good things about Halo. First Bungie game I played is a boring, badly made snoozefest.The entire time i played the campaign all i could think of was to please let it end soon so I could stop playing. My only regret is that I don't think I'm eligible for a refund.

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

I'll be honest, I completely forgot that game came out...

CoCage:

Seth Carter:

Agreed to all about Wolfenstein 2. While I did enjoy the game there were particular game design choices I disagreed with. Infamously, the stealth sections. Yeah you can get good to a point where you know where the enemies are, but they threw in way too many. When they do get the three I really hope they just remove them and go fool Doom with the game.

New Colossus didn't have any stealth sections. New Order had comically awful ones (enemies just randomly had no guns, so they just walked at you menacingly and then grappled into a meme-fodder stabspam fight), and Old Blood had some bits where you snuck past mega-enemies but you could actually defeat those and get their weapon.

New Colossus doesn't have any such forced stuff, but they try and present it as a viable option, when nothing about the levels has been made to faciliate it (whereas New Order very clearly did, even in the non-stealth specific missions). NC even had specific upgrades that are much touted when they show up to help out with stealth that end up being meaningless (the most useful seeming one, that would paralyze an enemy that spotted you momentarily didn't even work as of when I played it).

Silentpony:

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

You just better hope CA makes a Total War: Warhammer 40k after they are finished with Fantasy. With Roboute Guilliman, Abaddon, and Ghazghkull and such as Legendary Lords.

Or if someone makes my dream 40k game:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.952491-The-Warhammer-40k-game-of-my-dreams-is-a-Turned-Based-Strategy-game

Am in the middle of playing Nioh and while I'm enjoying it, its mission based structure makes it feel too repetitive, and it feels less like a Souls game and more like Dynasty warrior game. I don't have the urge to continuously play it and it basically functions like a podcast game. It's a shame because I really enjoyed what I played from the beta, but outside of the combat, story is forgettable and unremarkable, there's an excessive amount of loot where very little of it sticks out (unlike the souls games where each individual piece of equipment had its own unique history) and the world setting quickly loses its appeal when you have to backtrack through the same levels for side missions, which all feels like cheap ways to pad out the game.

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

Samtemdo8:

You just better hope CA makes a Total War: Warhammer 40k after they are finished with Fantasy. With Roboute Guilliman, Abaddon, and Ghazghkull and such as Legendary Lords.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.952491-The-Warhammer-40k-game-of-my-dreams-is-a-Turned-Based-Strategy-game

There are like 5 different 40k turn based games. Chaos Gate, Final Liberation, 2 of the kinda weird diamond isometric ones (I think they starred eldar for the most part), one with space wolfs and there is a new turn based on being worked on now.

There are actually a bunch, but the only ones I know of that are good are Chaos Gate and Final Liberation, haven't really played the other ones.
I was going to say good luck getting them to run on a modern system but both are on gog.
https://www.gog.com/game/final_liberation_warhammer_epic_40000
https://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_chaos_gate

Edit: oh yeah, there are also the space hulk games, which tend to be turn based.

Worgen:

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

There are like 5 different 40k turn based games. Chaos Gate, Final Liberation, 2 of the kinda weird diamond isometric ones (I think they starred eldar for the most part), one with space wolfs and there is a new turn based on being worked on now.

There are actually a bunch, but the only ones I know of that are good are Chaos Gate and Final Liberation, haven't really played the other ones.
I was going to say good luck getting them to run on a modern system but both are on gog.
https://www.gog.com/game/final_liberation_warhammer_epic_40000
https://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_chaos_gate

Edit: oh yeah, there are also the space hulk games, which tend to be turn based.

But none of those old Turned Based 40k games have the production values of Total War: Warhammer.

I want my dream TBS 40k game to have Total War's production values.

I wanna see Ghazghkull as a Legendary lord leading a massive Ork WAAAGH!! with brutal Battle Animations.

I want all the big factions to be in my dream game.

Samtemdo8:
SNIP

I think my ideal 40k game would be an Assassin's Creed type gaming, taking place in a Hive. You play a Vindicare assassin with an Inquisitor NPC to give quests. You have to gather intelligence on suspected targets, following them, listening in on their conversations, etc...to see who is corrupted by Chaos, and who isn't.
There's also various factions, Arbites, the Governor's House, and a Rebellion against the Governor. And you have to pick sides, do odd jobs for them ie finding criminals, digging up dirt on corrupted officials, discovering if the leader of the Rebellion might be a living Saint, etc...

And the whole thing is set to a doomsday clock of a suspected Chaos Invasion.

Horizon Zero Dawn, because I won't have the money for a PS4 until next March.

I'm not the most hardcore when it comes to gaming nowadays, but I was really looking forward to Yooka-Laylee and that was a letdown.

Star Wars Battle Front II with a bullet. There's not reason to explain why. It's been talked to death.

I actually like Destiny 2 somewhat. I feel like grinding, and doing the same things over, and over again isn't fun. I like Dragon's Dogma because you could spam dying and saving near the RNG chest, and you could get what you want in a short amount of time. Grinding hours on end for a gun or a sword isn't fun.

However, the Eververse is a bad part of the game, that I agree with.

I think Fallout 4 VR is the biggest disappointment. Everything looks so stretched in that game. This could have been the best VR game.

Silentpony:

Samtemdo8:
SNIP

I think my ideal 40k game would be an Assassin's Creed type gaming, taking place in a Hive. You play a Vindicare assassin with an Inquisitor NPC to give quests. You have to gather intelligence on suspected targets, following them, listening in on their conversations, etc...to see who is corrupted by Chaos, and who isn't.
There's also various factions, Arbites, the Governor's House, and a Rebellion against the Governor. And you have to pick sides, do odd jobs for them ie finding criminals, digging up dirt on corrupted officials, discovering if the leader of the Rebellion might be a living Saint, etc...

And the whole thing is set to a doomsday clock of a suspected Chaos Invasion.

I'm falling out of love with the IP, oddly enough coinciding with my most disappointing game of the year, Dawn of War III. I'm getting it with my Humble Bundle Monthly and I feel nothing about that.

But... if we are talking about dream games.. I would love a Souls like WH40k. It all could work. Relics with weapon properties are already a thing. Master Crafted. We have enough variations of warrior classes that each race could have their own 'types' with different abilities. I.E. Tactical Marines would be better armored than the much swifter Dire Avengers, but both would be considered General Combat for their respective races.

There are enough defunct races and demons that swear allegiance to no one that you'll have plenty of enemy variety. It should happen.

I'll join the conga line of Mass Effect: Andromeda fans. I was hoping for the fusion of ME3s butter smooth gameplay augmented with the verticality of its multiplayer......alas. And most of the squadmates weren't nearly as interesting, the second cardinal sin for BioWare RPG.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here