Most disappointing game of 2017?

Pages PREV 1 2

Andromeda.. There was a time where i would preorder anything Bioware cooked up, but seeing what they have done with dragon age i was more than skeptical. I knew that they would make it open world filled with dull time wasting quests and i was willing to deal with it, but they fucked it up beyond anything i could have ever imagined.

Imre Csete:
Horizon Zero Dawn, because I won't have the money for a PS4 until next March.

Definitely doesn't count as a reason. Let us know when you manage to play it, please.

OT: I've been watching youtubers suffer through Getting Over It. Given the trollish nature of the developer, I'm given that my vote of no confidence. It's just a lazy, stupid rage game. Those aren't even real fun. If you want a simple game that can be frustrating and difficult, but ultimately entertaining, play Cuphead.

Silentpony:
To qualify my answer, most disappointing isn't the same as worst.

My biggest disspointmet was South Park: The Fractured But Whole. I beat it in like two sittings, it wasn't nearly as funny or extreme, entire sections are blatantly walled off as DLC, the ending was shit, and even the boss battles were shit.

I mean Jared? That's it? He's not naked, doesn't have a thrubbing erection, he isn't actually jizzing on the player, nothing. Need I remind you, South Park, in the previous game we had full frontal nudity, walking in on a guy ass-fucking a horse, and an entire boss battle where you dodge your dad's balls and your mom's tits, set to the soundtrack of them fucking.

And the sequel in two Priests in a black-light room?

I don't get some people. It was just like a big episode of South Park. It had more fan service, was a bigger game and they actually took the time to make it a completely different premise than SoT. It was great. You can tell Trey and Matt put just as much time into it. Why do you need it to be ultra outrageous to feel satisfied with it? Also, the ending stayed true to how they end episodes as well. Plus we are getting more with DLC.

The only reason I'm getting riled over it is that if too many people bitch about a game that was actually pretty brilliant we might not get a 3rd game and that would sadden me. I admit, I am a massive South Park fan, who owns every episode, game and album (plus I own Team America, Bigger Longer and Uncut and I've been to see the Book of Mormon). But to be honest, it was a game for hardcore fans because there were sooooo many cool references in there.

Civilization VI ;) keeps on being biggest disapointment all the way since 2016 ;)
Honestly, in 2017 most things weren't a surprise, ie. overhyped train wrecks like andromeda ended exactly where they were headed.

I'd point towards SP:FBW. Disappointed slightly in what I saw in playthroughs on YT (but then again I didn't play the game, I could have created better experiences to myself).

Mostly disappointed that SP creators failed to get away from Uplay's leash and got smeared all over with Ubisoft scamming schemes unlike with previous game. So in short, I am dissapointed in gradual loss of quality and standards. Didn't expect that coming from SP.

I wasn't really disappointed at any game to be honest. Lots of pleasant surprises. I even bought Mass Effect: Andromeda a week ago, and even though some of the characters weren't as compelling as the original trilogy, The combat was very fun, the questing system was very rewarding (everything you do makes the planets more viable for life) Ending was nice. I went back and saw old videos of the game at launch, wow. What a huge difference. I'm glad i dodged that bullet.

Andromeda by a country mile. It had big shoes to fill, Bioware had already tangled with fan disappointment with the Mass Effect 3 ending so there was already a certain trepidation with Andromeda. You can say whatever you like about whiny, entitled fanboys; if they are simply speaking in stead of the larger fanbase it would behoove you to listen or your next game might see quite disappointing sales. Recent events confirm what anyone with common sense will tell you, alienating your built in customer base is rarely, if ever, a profitable move. This goes double for niche products; Mass Effect moves millions of units per game but tabletop roleplaying games and wargaming can only dream of such numbers.

So Bioware had to know that it had to be a homerun for Andromeda to be anything resembling a success. It was the start of a new chapter in the Mass Effect saga. They needed to grip us with a new protagonist who could stand alongside Shepard, they needed to enthrall us with a new storyline that would have us coming back for more and they needed a solid engine that could conceivably last three games or be upgraded along the way. They failed at all three. Miserably. Ryder lacks charisma, the writing is weak for Bioware standards and the game when shipped was a horrible mess of bugs and failure. For sheer disappointment, I think Mass Effect Andromeda clinches the gold.

Jamcie Kerbizz:

I'd point towards SP:FBW. Disappointed slightly in what I saw in playthroughs on YT (but then again I didn't play the game, I could have created better experiences to myself).

Mostly disappointed that SP creators failed to get away from Uplay's leash and got smeared all over with Ubisoft scamming schemes unlike with previous game. So in short, I am dissapointed in gradual loss of quality and standards. Didn't expect that coming from SP.

Please see my post above yours in response to this. I'd also point out that critiquing a game you haven't actually played yourself could lead you to form the wrong conclusions. Plus there's's more gameplay than SoT without DLC.

dscross:

Jamcie Kerbizz:

Please see my post above yours in response to this. I'd also point out that critiquing a game you haven't actually played yourself could lead you to form the wrong conclusions. Plus there's's more gameplay than SoT without DLC.

1) This is a thread asking for opinions on specific subject, so refrain from confronting opinions you don't like.
2) If you can't get over yourself and just have to contest at least make sure you are being relevant. I specifically and honestly articulated: what I found disappointing about the game; how I formulated my opinion and even included reservation, that had I actually played the game, particular part of my opinion may have been different. None of your rant pertains to my reasons of picking this game.
3) I have seen entirety of the game and some of the gameplay I probably wouldn't bother to 'unlock' / try out had I actually bought the game. It's a downgrade comparing to previous instalment in my opinion but it's a smaller part of why this were the biggest disappointment.
4) Bless you.

Jamcie Kerbizz:

dscross:

Jamcie Kerbizz:

1) This is a thread asking for opinions on specific subject, so refrain from confronting opinions you don't like.
2) If you can't get over yourself and just have to contest at least make sure you are being relevant. I specifically and honestly articulated: what I found disappointing about the game; how I formulated my opinion and even included reservation, that had I actually played the game, particular part of my opinion may have been different. None of your rant pertains to my reasons of picking this game.
3) I have seen entirety of the game and some of the gameplay I probably wouldn't bother to 'unlock' / try out had I actually bought the game. It's a downgrade comparing to previous instalment in my opinion but it's a smaller part of why this were the biggest disappointment.
4) Bless you.

1. There was nothing particularly offensive or confrontational in my post, you just interpreted it like that because you didn't like it.
2. Your 2nd point, however, IS VERY confrontational, just by the way you started it.
3. You didn't even play the game!
4. Cheers.

dscross:

Jamcie Kerbizz:

dscross:

4) Bless you.

1. There was nothing particularly offensive or confrontational in my post, you just interpreted it like that because you didn?t like it.
2. Your 2nd point, however, IS VERY confrontational, just by the way you started it.
3. You didn?t even play the game!
4. Cheers.

ad.1 Didn't say it were. It's just completely out of place.
ad.2 It's just irritating that 1) had to be pointed out to you.
ad.3 Still 2) applies and in gist of what I wrote it doesn't even matter.
ad.4 Added that to ease off irritated tone of 2). No malice intended throughout 1-4. Have a good day mate.

dscross:
SNIP

Because it was boring as shit. Didn't do anything new or interesting, half the jokes felt like the interns wrote them while the other half fell flat, entire sections are blatantly walled off as DLC, and the plot and one of the main characters are abandoned half way through for some stupidly convoluted time travel shit about a fractured buttwhole, that is fixed in a cut-scene and never mentioned again.
When the player goes forward in time, and there's a freaking Cartman/Conor theme park, and you can't get back in time, I thought that was the halfway point of the game and now we have to survive in this new Christmas universe, maybe have a level in said theme park, seeings how Cartman has this whole thing about theme parks all to his own. But no, we get a lazy boss battle(with just enough footage to justify a trailer glimse) where Santa shows up and wins the fight for you, then the doctor instantly fixes your character, and you leave Christmas/Cartman South Park forever, never to have even a single level.

The most biting social observation they did is that cops are racist, but turns out they aren't because they're desperately trying to appease a Lovecraftian monster that only eats black people. And then it turns out that's actually true and eating white people hurts it! The fuck?! Clever South Park would have had it that Shub-Niggurath can eat anyone, and the cops were just assuming it'd only eat black people and were just using it as a convenient way to get rid of them.

Also remember how the whole plot was to get a Netflix show? Yeah, neither did the writers. South Park was at its best when the kids still wanted their kid things, while super adult shit is going on. Like wanting their gameshpere when a terminator style intrigue is building between black ops and private machine companies. Or just wanting to hang out with a robot friend while the military wants to weaponize it to fight the Chinese. They should have kept the Netflix plot going the entire time, instead of just abandoning it when the Coon decided it was over.

If it was just a long episode, then it was a boring, tired long episode.

Silentpony:

dscross:
SNIP

Because it was boring as shit. Didn't do anything new or interesting, half the jokes felt like the interns wrote them while the other half fell flat, entire sections are blatantly walled off as DLC, and the plot and one of the main characters are abandoned half way through for some stupidly convoluted time travel shit about a fractured buttwhole, that is fixed in a cut-scene and never mentioned again.
When the player goes forward in time, and there's a freaking Cartman/Conor theme park, and you can't get back in time, I thought that was the halfway point of the game and now we have to survive in this new Christmas universe, maybe have a level in said theme park, seeings how Cartman has this whole thing about theme parks all to his own. But no, we get a lazy boss battle(with just enough footage to justify a trailer glimse) where Santa shows up and wins the fight for you, then the doctor instantly fixes your character, and you leave Christmas/Cartman South Park forever, never to have even a single level.

The most biting social observation they did is that cops are racist, but turns out they aren't because they're desperately trying to appease a Lovecraftian monster that only eats black people. And then it turns out that's actually true and eating white people hurts it! The fuck?! Clever South Park would have had it that Shub-Niggurath can eat anyone, and the cops were just assuming it'd only eat black people and were just using it as a convenient way to get rid of them.

Also remember how the whole plot was to get a Netflix show? Yeah, neither did the writers. South Park was at its best when the kids still wanted their kid things, while super adult shit is going on. Like wanting their gameshpere when a terminator style intrigue is building between black ops and private machine companies. Or just wanting to hang out with a robot friend while the military wants to weaponize it to fight the Chinese. They should have kept the Netflix plot going the entire time, instead of just abandoning it when the Coon decided it was over.

If it was just a long episode, then it was a boring, tired long episode.

I feel like you took it super cereal. I totally disagree with what you didn't find funny because I was laughing literally all the way through, although I appreciate a lot of it was fan service and maybe you need to be up to speed with the show. Comedy is subjective I guess but I think maybe some people expected something else.

I thought it was hilarious and jokes were not 'falling flat' to me. No idea why you think that. That's the reason I watch the show / play the games. This was no different.

Also, as I've said, there was more in this than SoT without the coming DLC so I really don't see the issue there.

FalloutJack:

Imre Csete:
Horizon Zero Dawn, because I won't have the money for a PS4 until next March.

Definitely doesn't count as a reason. Let us know when you manage to play it, please.

I've enjoyed all my other purchases this year, but I couldn't play that one, so I'm technically correct.

And buying a game just in case because they might run out of stock in half a year when I'll get the platform for it definetly sets me up for a biased opinion of how awesome it will be.

Because it will be.

Struggling to think of one not because all games I have played have been amazing just that they have to my recollection all been within my expected range of quality in regards to how much I enjoy them to how much I payed for them.

If I were to cheat a little and use a game I played as part of a free weekend promo it would be Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite. I did not have high hopes for the game and it failed to live up to even that. The story is trash despite their talk it wouldnt be but never bought into that so wasnt surprised the character selection is completely uninspired and less a celebration of the two companies IP than a stale soul less cash in using recycled assets that look worse than before and less of them at that.

Same goes for the presentation at best you can say its functional (they love their function meme in that game). However I kept hearing how fun it was to play that all of that didnt matter and I finally got my hands on it and meh dont get me wrong its far from bad but imo there are many better fighter out there in every regard atm. So yeah I suppose it could be my most disappointing even though I wasnt that disappointed as I wasnt that excited for it more saddened I suppose at how little care they gave to it and expect you to pay for it and its DLC.

If Soul Calibur VI turns out to be bad or poor then that is my most disappointing game for 2018 sorted however.

Maximum Bert:
Struggling to think of one not because all games I have played have been amazing just that they have to my recollection all been within my expected range of quality in regards to how much I enjoy them to how much I payed for them.

If I were to cheat a little and use a game I played as part of a free weekend promo it would be Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite. I did not have high hopes for the game and it failed to live up to even that. The story is trash despite their talk it wouldnt be but never bought into that so wasnt surprised the character selection is completely uninspired and less a celebration of the two companies IP than a stale soul less cash in using recycled assets that look worse than before and less of them at that.

Same goes for the presentation at best you can say its functional (they love their function meme in that game). However I kept hearing how fun it was to play that all of that didnt matter and I finally got my hands on it and meh dont get me wrong its far from bad but imo there are many better fighter out there in every regard atm. So yeah I suppose it could be my most disappointing even though I wasnt that disappointed as I wasnt that excited for it more saddened I suppose at how little care they gave to it and expect you to pay for it and its DLC.

If Soul Calibur VI turns out to be bad or poor then that is my most disappointing game for 2018 sorted however.

It doesn't help that you have more fighting games coming out next year that look way better by comparison. Arc system is going to be on a roll with Dragon Ball FighterZ and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle. I'm especially looking forward to the former while the latter I might buy out of amusement. My only problem is with Fighterz is that it has $30 for DLC characters. Well it definitely has a huge roster it still stings a little. It's a good thing most of the characters in an ounce I would play so it softens it just a bit.

Resident Evil VII
Persona 5
Nier Automata
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Super Mario Odyssey
Nioh
Wolfenstein 2
Sonic Mania

I'm going to write Call of Duty WW2. I'd say the level of my disappointment is my fault. As much as I love games and gaming, I am not good at it. At least at my age I am not. I cannot even get off the beach at the beginning. On easy.

At least my boy is the one that bought it. Phew.

I dunno why everyone's railing against Mass Effect Andromeda, I got exactly what I paid for out of that game.

...No, I didn't buy it for 90% off, what are you talking about? >.> <.<

More seriously: another for the Destiny 2 bandwagon. It's actually kinda mind-boggling, since the '2' implies a sequel, and yet the game is plagued by problems that they fixed in the first one. And the less said about the complete gutting of the cosmetic/lore systems, the better.

Oh well, at least it might be worth playing in a couple years, before they launch Destiny 3 and repeat the same problems again.

The SOuth Park game played it safe with the jokes when compared to the first game. Still fun to play but bits of it seemed like cameos for the sake of cameos. Most disapointed game for me was Shadow of War game it was fun but such an obvious grind due to the loot boxes that i gave up on it.

Oh Andromeda... I don't think it's a completely irredeemable trash fire that a lot of people make it out to be, but I do think it conveys a huge amount of wasted potential. Even outside of animation issues and awkward dialogue I think it still had one of DA Inquisition's biggest problems, in that it seemed to prioritize massive semi-empty environments over smaller more interesting ones. I wish that Bioware could go back to what it does best with dense maps filled with memorable characters, as opposed to big open world maps filled with countless fetch quests.

Meiam:
But P5 is probably my biggest disappointment overall, not because it's a terrible game (it's definitely better than ME:A) but because I had such high hope for it.

Yeah.. I didn't outright hate P5's story, and I think that it's one of the more stylish games I've played in the last few years. But I feel like a lot of what it did with characters and villains had been handled better in P3 and P4.

The palaces had such a heavy story emphasis on the antagonists, but outside of all your direct involvement with Kamoshida I didn't think the villains were interesting enough to justify all the focus on them. And the only party members I really ended up liking were Yusuke and Futaba. The others weren't terrible, I just felt like we had seen their archetypes before. Ryuji was the idiot friend, Makoto was the proper class president, Morgana the obligatory animal mascot questioning his purpose, etc. And with so much character development being relegated specifically to optional social links, a lot of the characters don't have the chance to change or grow over the course of the main story.

Valkyria Revolution. Probably the only new game I played this year that I hated. even my hype for a new valkyria game couldn't compel me to finish it... it was just so underwhelming.

Special mention goes to "Berserk and the band of the hawk" It doesn't take the crown, because unlike VR, this one actually advertised that it was a dynasty warriors-esque game, the issue was just that it was a bad one.

It's not like I hate DW-inspired games. Fate/extella was amazing this year. You just have to give a crap about what you're making, man.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It's not a bad game, but all the annoyances and disappointments just piled one on top of the other to make it where I can not, in all honesty, recommend it to someone else. The disappointments were the lack of dungeons, the non-existent enemy variety and the bosses all being cut from the same cloth. The annoyances were everything from tree branches to Legendary Guardian Sword+++ being made of glass with no opportunity to fix or repair, the insufferable fetch quests for side-missions as well as for armor upgrades, and the proliferation of shrines that were either quick, boring, utterly painful or some combination of the three.

The 10/10s and GOTY awards baffle me. Yes, this is by far the best Skyrim variation I've ever played and the most fun I've had with a Bethesda game - but I didn't want an Elder Scrolls. I wanted a Zelda.

Every other game I didn't like this year, I either had no hope or no expectations going in. Fortunately, 2017 was mostly a great year with a ton of titles I loved.

Battlefront 2

The first game was nothing but potential, waiting to be expanded upon.

SW:BF2, when it was announced, was everything that I hoped it would have been, and then they just squandered it all with the Star Card system, and the P2W microtransactions.

I haven't even bothered touching it, because I refuse to do so.

If the most disappointing game needs to be one that I actually played, it will have to be Andromeda.

There is just nothing memorable about it. Not the planets, not the squadmates, not the story. I just got bored and dropped it.

I really need to stop pre-ordering videogames.

I guess I can understand people who say that it's ME: Andromeda. But the expectations for that game were not really all that high. Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the other hand was so hyped. People loved everything about it, until EA decided to reveal what the game actually was. And the result was such a disappointing experience that a ton of people refused to even buy it. So that would be my pick.

Yooka-Laylee. It wasn't so much of a "spiritual successor" to Banjo-Kazooie, more of a "complete fucking rip-off that feels like something you see in the bargain bin". Playtonic didn't even bother dusting off the old mechanics and cliches, instead they just served up a lazy, charmless version of Banjo-Kazooie. And to think I Kickstarted that shitpile. [1]

Blood Brain Barrier:
Resident Evil VII
Persona 5
Nier Automata
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Super Mario Odyssey
Nioh
Wolfenstein 2
Sonic Mania

Do you actually like anything? (kappa)

But seriously, that's a lot of games to be disappointed in. Every one of those is a good game according to most everyone else.

[1] Yes I should've known better, shut the fuck up.

Adam Jensen:
I guess I can understand people who say that it's ME: Andromeda. But the expectations for that game were not really all that high. Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the other hand was so hyped. People loved everything about it, until EA decided to reveal what the game actually was. And the result was such a disappointing experience that a ton of people refused to even buy it. So that would be my pick.

There was hype for Battlefront 2?

Weren't people completely dissapointed with EA's first Battlefront? How is 2 even worse than 1 other than the loot box controversy?

Mass Effect, is the clear winner here. Right? I mean how hyped was it that we are getting a new ME triology in a new galaxy!? Only to have it come out and be royally fucked.

Not only was the game a giant mess, but it outright killed any hope for a new ME trilogy entirely.

I honestly can't remember a game I bought this year that let me down.

I'm not sure if this is because it was a pretty solid year (Persona 5, Styx 2, Etrian Odyssey 5, Prey, Sonic Mania, etc), or if I just dodged all of the bullshit, or if it was because the stuff that disappointed me was THAT forgettable.

Hell, even if Samus Returns wasn't as fun as AM2R I still had a blast with it and felt like I got my money's worth, and even though Heat Signature kinda petered out for me eventually I still thought it was amazing.

At a stretch...I guess Everspace? I mean, I still enjoy the game, but the mouse and keyboard controls feel a little awkward for a space shooter and until recently the gamepad controls weren't customizable so that was out of the picture until now... *shrug*

KingsGambit:
Destiny 2

- No normal shotguns/Snipers. I don't care much about snipers, but I enjoy my shotties in shooters, but D2 locked these weapons into the "Power Weapon" category, so they can only hold about 5-7 rounds of ammo. Thus I'm only permitted to have about 10 seconds worth of fun at a time.
- Crazy long ability cooldowns. We're talking 5 minutes or so cooldown on your MAIN CLASS ABILITY. Sorry for caps, but I cannot stress how f*****g horrible it is. It lasts about 10-20secs every 5 minutes. They *really* don't want you have any fun or feeling like you're playing a unique class.
- All characters learn all skills for their class. There are no trees or specs, you learn everything. As such, your guardian is identical to every other same class player.

This just confirms my initial suspicions when I saw Destiny 2 and was like "This looks like a crappy version of Borderlands 2".

So, so SOOOOOOO glad I dodged that bullet.

Samtemdo8:

Adam Jensen:

There was hype for Battlefront 2?

Weren't people completely dissapointed with EA's first Battlefront? How is 2 even worse than 1 other than the loot box controversy?

It's Star Wars. Theres's always hype for Star Wars. Hell, Lucasarts gave up their adventure game niche just so they could focus on pumping out nothing but Star Wars games around the time the prequels came out.

Hell, I spent months prior to the latest Star Wars movie coming out eyerolling at one of my facebook friends who kept posting Porgs on his feed. After a month or so I finally got around to asking what the hell Porgs were, because it turns out I hadn't bothered to watch the trailer they were shown in. Apparently the correct response is not "Oh, they're like Ewoks".

My only interest in BF2 was the SP campaign, because of the "Play as an Imperial" angle. And they fucked that up almost as bad as they fucked up the MP side of things. So my interest was dead even without the Loot Box shitshow.

Per the OP:

I was interested in Andromeda in the months leading up to it and was reading the reviews the moment they dropped. After a week of seeing how much the ball was dropped, I decided I wasn't even gonna bother, not even on deep discount.

I have a Steam/GOG/PS3/4 backlog I'm trying to cut down on. If/when EA makes a GOOD Sci-fi game, I'll be here.

Mechamorph:
Andromeda by a country mile. It had big shoes to fill, Bioware had already tangled with fan disappointment with the Mass Effect 3 ending so there was already a certain trepidation with Andromeda. You can say whatever you like about whiny, entitled fanboys; if they are simply speaking in stead of the larger fanbase it would behoove you to listen or your next game might see quite disappointing sales. Recent events confirm what anyone with common sense will tell you, alienating your built in customer base is rarely, if ever, a profitable move. This goes double for niche products; Mass Effect moves millions of units per game but tabletop roleplaying games and wargaming can only dream of such numbers.

So Bioware had to know that it had to be a homerun for Andromeda to be anything resembling a success. It was the start of a new chapter in the Mass Effect saga. They needed to grip us with a new protagonist who could stand alongside Shepard, they needed to enthrall us with a new storyline that would have us coming back for more and they needed a solid engine that could conceivably last three games or be upgraded along the way. They failed at all three. Miserably. Ryder lacks charisma, the writing is weak for Bioware standards and the game when shipped was a horrible mess of bugs and failure. For sheer disappointment, I think Mass Effect Andromeda clinches the gold.

That, and the abandonment of SP content in favor for the useless multiplayer that no one plays; along with their new upcoming multiplayer dreck "Anthem" will hopefully spell the end of that once great dev-house, as it needs to be put out of it's misery so the devs can at least make a come-back via the crowd-funding indie route much like with inXile did with Pillars of eternity!

Bioware is dead for me as I got their last two RPGs at a 80% discount anyways, there's too many excellent indie/AAA Indie titles to choose from, that most big-budget games are not really on my radar at this point.

Commanderfantasy:
Not only was the game a giant mess, but it outright killed any hope for a new ME trilogy entirely.

That's one of the most disappointing parts. The Mass Effect series has had its issues, but I love the setting and unique overarching development that the original trilogy gave to your choices and the personal dynamic your Shepard had with your crew over the course of several games.

Now the whole franchise might be put on ice, with EA at the helm reluctant to let Bioware return to anything that doesn't promise some long-term online multiplayer payoff.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here