Sneak past enemies, confusing the shit out of them
68% (34)
68% (34)
Going loud and attacking everyone, no letting anyone live
32% (16)
32% (16)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Stealth vs Going loud?

There are tons of games these days that lets you take on each level in whatever matter you desire. This allows the players to have multiple playthroughs, to see how the enemies react to your action. What is your usual method of approach on these types of games?

I probably do like 75% stealth in those games. I find just straight ghosting levels to be pretty boring, it really is just watching patrols and waiting for the right time to slip past; I never understood why any stealth game is considered hard when you're avoiding the actual hard part, which is engaging in combat. I like to try make the character as cool and badass as he/she should be by trying to be creative mix and matching stealth with some loudness. The Dishonored series is a perfect example of the limitless amount of creativity afforded to the player. I think just sneaking behind every guard and stealth killing / choking them out is a huge disservice to most games that do have the stealth option.

Neither, I try to silently kill everyone without ever causing an alert.

It's fun to be whispering death, slowly depopulating the level without anyone noticing.

Dirty Hipsters:

It's fun to be whispering death, slowly depopulating the level without anyone noticing.

They'll never see you coming!

For me, go loud. Stealth usually means I miss stuff, have to wait in the back for minutes studying guard routes, and the slightest error and you're back to the drawing board. Just shout 'NAVY SEALS!' and charge in with a combat shotgun! Always worked in Rainbow Six, regardless of the casualties.

Stealth always. Lethal vs non lethal depends on who I'm up against. Security guards just doing their jobs? Knock them out. Terrorists planning to blow up a preschool? Leave none alive.

Stealth is the act of avoiding fun.
That said; while sneaky stealth is the worst, intrigue stealth can be fun. Talking, mingling, and trying to keep your cover.

In these kinds of games, I often start out avoiding open confrontation but make it a point to silently kill everyone I come across.
..and when that eventually fails, I just go on a murder and mayhem spree. Though still trying to avoid open combat by luring them into corridors or around corners or some such.

So, no option for me. ,)

I find the stealth/strength choice in games to often be implemented kinda stupidly. Most games always reward you for being stealthy whereas just shooting them all down, not so much, almost as if the game looks down at me for not being "smart" and going all guns blazing. Like it's the dolt's choice. As if it doesn't take incredible skill to survive countless waves of enemies in some games.

Depends on the game. In Dishonored i always go for non lethal stealth and i try my best in MGS V, but in assasins creed origins it gets too annoying, some enemies just don't die from a stealth attack and the rest of the tricks simply won't work because of their stapled on leveling system, not to mention that it all feels the same after a few hours in that game.

Stealth. I want to be the ghost that gets in and out unseen, leaving everyone baffled as to what happened.

Stealth is one of my favourite genres, but it's a shame that so few true stealth games get made any more. I used to play so much Hitman, trying to master each mission to achieve the perfect kill, and god only knows how many hours I put into the various Tenchu games.

I like the stealths. But also the violent stealths. It appeases a deeply seeded social anxiety. Especially Assassin's Creed where you can just say "fuck it" to street-level noise and bugger off to the rooftops for contemplation and various stabbing.

For me, it's a two-phase kind of thing:

• Phase 1: Recon: Carefully survey the environment and see what my options are. Find out where my objectives are and how I should get to them. If the alarm sounds at any point, go to Phase 2. Otherwise, maintain this as long as possible. An example would be the typical Harvest & Trustee "Bank Heist" in Payday 2, where despite the fact that I intend to fight my way through the heist in loud, I try to stealth as much as I can to have the drill mounted before the alarm sounds, and maybe have the security room neutralized before I get the drill running if I can.
  • Phase 2: Assault: Now that I know my objectives and my options on how to get to them, it's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of gum. Basically, get shit done and bulldoze my way through every enemy that tries to stop me. Referring back to the PD2 "Bank Heist", once I get the drill running it's time to make some noise. Sometimes, if I find the route to do it, I'll get the drill running THEN use Shaped Charges to blast into the security room, with the explosion setting off every alarm in the bank. At that point, it's just a matter of survival; and that's usually going to mean killing everything that tries to stop me from emptying that vault.

Though honestly, in general? Shoot first, ask questions later. Sneaking around is usually boring anyway. Or it's tense, but not in a way that I enjoy.

Both. Been playing a lot of Payday 2 recently. Just did the Nightclub level stealth by killing everyone.
Except the DJ. Left him as an example.

Katherine Kerensky:
Both. Been playing a lot of Payday 2 recently. Just did the Nightclub level stealth by killing everyone.
Except the DJ. Left him as an example.

You always do Nightclub stealth. Because that's the only way to keep the awesome music going.

Both.

I don't want anyone to see me, but I want everyone to know I'm there wrecking their shit.

I prefer "going loud", if you know what I mean. ;D

Something I realized when speedrunning The Marvelous Miss Take is that stealth has to be done fast to be entertaining. If you sit there watching guards for ten minutes to discern the pattern it's not fun. But if guard placement/patterns are somewhat random, you just have to get out there, think on your feet and hope for the best. That's pretty fun. I'd even go so far as to say time limits are a good idea, so watching and waiting is not an option.

In action games I generally just stay hidden until I can wipe out 3-4 guys at once in an ambush.

Whichever one yields the most rewards. Usually it's going stealth so that.

Bad Jim:
Something I realized when speedrunning The Marvelous Miss Take is that stealth has to be done fast to be entertaining. If you sit there watching guards for ten minutes to discern the pattern it's not fun. But if guard placement/patterns are somewhat random, you just have to get out there, think on your feet and hope for the best. That's pretty fun. I'd even go so far as to say time limits are a good idea, so watching and waiting is not an option.

Yeah, basically this. The best stealth games are the ones that allow to "speed-up" the process whether it was Sly Cooper allowing you to fast-forward patrols or Dishonored's movement powers that let get in and out without needing to study patrols or slowly sneak behind guards. Just skip the boring stuff basically.

Phoenixmgs:

Bad Jim:

Yeah, basically this. The best stealth games are the ones that allow to "speed-up" the process whether it was Sly Cooper allowing you to fast-forward patrols or Dishonored's movement powers that let get in and out without needing to study patrols or slowly sneak behind guards. Just skip the boring stuff basically.

I really do enjoy abilities that let you close the distance to enemies easily. Nothing is more annoying than having to crouch walk behind an enemy that moves at the same speed you do.

Stealth is boring.

Mainly because games implement it in an incredibly shitty way.

Videogame stealth is about impulse control with the assumption that the reward pays out for your patience of hugging bits of geometry. The thing is, most of the challenge is taken away in favour of hugging bits ofterrain and often with some form of perfunctory reward for playing boringly.

MGS3 was the best in the series precisely because it didn't decentivize being aggressive.

There's good ways of doing stealth games, but ifit actively revolves around you hugging geometry for half the time you'replaying and starts actively withholding rewards for you being aggressive the tedium starts piling on.

Stealth in games should be about setting yourself up to have the best kill zone, or to actually complete a level in theshortest amount of time ... not some glorified obstacle course which actively incentivizes you being slow and cautious and not taking any gambles for what should be a fun pay off of carnage or some other entertaining reward.

Shadow of Mordor had awful stealth, and say way you like ... nothing felt as badass as just wandering into a place that you know had multiple captains and just go Uruk stomping until you got to them and triggered their activity. Sure, you only get 1 XP per kill that you're betteroff just doingthe whole run-brutalize-run-brutalize-run-brutalize until you got to captains or the like ... but one again, that is fucking boring.

The majority of the time I'll take the sneakier approach if it's an option, but it can be incredibly fun to just go running around with explosives and a big gun every now and then. Really though it does depend on a number of factors like what I'm fighting, how many there are, what I currently have for equipment, etc.

I'm a sneaky type of player.

I like outsmarting my foes and slowly picking them off as they run around in confusion wondering who is nicking all their stuff and knocking them out (or killing them one at a time if I'm doing an "angel of death" playthrough and putting the entire place into a panic).

I do prefer it when there's lots of movement options (Blink in dishonored) or other neat tricks to make stealth easier (The clones and alchemy in Styx Shards of Darkness), however, as pure stealth without them often turns into a Quick-save-athon which does get a little tedious if you're faced with a really hard segment.

I just really enjoy beating the enemy with careful tactics, planning, ambushes and trickery over brute force. Hell, I took it to the logical extreme with Mark of the Ninja. My preferred style in that game was using the ninja suit that terrified enemies when they saw you kill someone, and I used it to terrify the guards and force them all into killing each other with friendly fire like some kind of evil batman...Until only one remained and I granted him the mercy of eternal slumber. :)

If I'm in a game that supports it (and doesn't punish me for violence), however, the second I'm busted I go loud. VERY loud. In farcry 3 I crept around with a silenced rifle and pistol and the moment anyone saw me...Out came the grenade launcher and flamethrower.

Dirty Hipsters:

This is and always has been my favourite approach and it grinds my gears when killing contradicts stealth runs.

Sneaky Sneaky here. If I can get in and out without engaging guards and setting off alarms, hell yeah. But I'm certainly going to take out guards to thin out their ranks and help avoid getting spotted, non-lethally if possible and lethally if needed.

That's how I played dishonored and that's how I've been playing the Metal Gear series for the past few months.

Of course, if things go to shit, I'll kill everyone in my path to survive, but it feels like I've failed.

Depends on the game.

Metal Gear Solid is always a stealth game for me, although I can get fed up if I am discovered 35 minutes in a mission.

In Assassin's Creed, for example, I just barge in and destroy everything with normal brawling because the game's combat is usually a big joke and easier done that the shitty stealth. Last game I played was Syndicate.

Still like the game.

If I have the stealth option I tend to go for it despite the fact it usually results in me enjoying the game less. I didn't really get into Wolfenstein 2 till I just abandoned stealth and went in guns blazing. Despite being hitscan run and gun actually works really really well in it since enemies aim where you were, not where you are so moving fast works well.

Stealth, but I still like to get my hands dirty in the process. Take the Spy in Team Fortress 2, for example. I got pretty good with the class over the years, to the point where my very existence could wreak havoc with the enemy team. A sapped teleporter here, a few high value targets backstabbed there, and before you know it a third of their team would start trying to hunt me down. There are few things more satisfying in gaming than successfully evading a gaggle of flailing Pyros, then going back to cause even more mayhem when they've lost you. Sometimes I could even turn the tables on my pursuers; many a W+M1 Pyro learned the hard way that the Spy has a gun as well as a knife.

When it's predominately a stealth game (Metal Gear, Hitman, etc.), I'll try to sneak, otherwise, I'll let Tien speak for me (at about five seconds in):

Though the exception to this rule is Dishonored, primarily because of that Chaos mechanic that determines whether everything ends up as either a utopia, or as a post-apocalyptic hellhole.

I prefer stealth. It generally requires more skill to pull off and I'm not an "easy solutions" gamer. I prefer bigger challenges. That being said...

Is there really any game that actually gives you the choice? Every game that has the "option" of quiet or loud assault treats the "loud" option as a tacit failure. I have never played a game where the sneaky silent player wasn't given a greater reward or score or whatever than the kick the door down player. Quiet is always the "right" answer, the "better" way to play. I'm just lucky that's my preferred method.

Kyrian007:
I prefer stealth. It generally requires more skill to pull off and I'm not an "easy solutions" gamer. I prefer bigger challenges. That being said...

Is there really any game that actually gives you the choice? Every game that has the "option" of quiet or loud assault treats the "loud" option as a tacit failure. I have never played a game where the sneaky silent player wasn't given a greater reward or score or whatever than the kick the door down player. Quiet is always the "right" answer, the "better" way to play. I'm just lucky that's my preferred method.

Maybe Alpha Protocol? Since you got better at things by actually doing them, you get better at being sneaky then sneaking and better at using weapons by using them.

Though AP actually had boss battles which could be very difficult if you were only geared for stealth.....

Dirty Hipsters:

A particular favorite of mine too. Recently did a playthrough of Dishonored 2 where I set myself the goal of silently murdering everyone. Everyone? EVERYONE! The bloodflies and rats would've had a field day, but I systematically decimated those too.

Neverhoodian:
Stealth, but I still like to get my hands dirty in the process. Take the Spy in Team Fortress 2, for example. I got pretty good with the class over the years, to the point where my very existence could wreak havoc with the enemy team. A sapped teleporter here, a few high value targets backstabbed there, and before you know it a third of their team would start trying to hunt me down. There are few things more satisfying in gaming than successfully evading a gaggle of flailing Pyros, then going back to cause even more mayhem when they've lost you. Sometimes I could even turn the tables on my pursuers; many a W+M1 Pyro learned the hard way that the Spy has a gun as well as a knife.

Nothing quite like having the enemy team running around all paranoid, spending precious seconds looking for you instead of going for the objective. And yeah, too many people forget the Spy has a gun that can take out most classes in 3 shots (or less), and that includes those playing Spy. The recent changes to Pyro flamethrowers in the Jungle Inferno update have made W+M1ing a lot more deadly tho, so gunning down Pyros has become risky if you're not outside their range, even with a Spycicle and/or Dead Ringer.

Dalisclock:

Kyrian007:

Maybe Alpha Protocol? Since you got better at things by actually doing them, you get better at being sneaky then sneaking and better at using weapons by using them.

Though AP actually had boss battles which could be very difficult if you were only geared for stealth.....

Maybe so, I never played Alpha Protocol. The closest I can think of are games with token and mostly (except for one scripted time) useless stealth mechanics. Like GTA: San Andreas. Supposedly there was a stealth mechanic, but with the exception of the rappers mansion mission nobody ever really got any use out of it. Same with Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. Supposedly there was a mechanic in which you could blame your crimes on factions if you were in a faction vehicle... but it was really unreliable. And I actually committed far more war crimes in Mercenaries on foot rather than from a car or helicopter. Stealth just didn't work, so it wasn't really a choice.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here