Hollow Knight, the game 2017 forgot.

So I've been going through the best of 2017 lists and one game is constantly absent. Hollow Knight.

Somehow the best metroidsouls game to come out in a very long time is totally absent from everyones list, if you don't think it was great you either didn't play it or you have no taste. I guess maybe they somehow forgot about it since it did release very early in the year but that is still hardly an excuse to ignore the bleakest game to release all year.

Seriously, how the fuck is PC gamer the only site to give Hollow Knight any kind of reward. (best platformer) Polygon had a top 50 of the year and somehow totally ignored it.

I'm with you 100% man. Hollow Knight is my GOTY right behind RE7. Even did up some fan art I love it so much.

Everyone who loves metroidvania's even a little bit needs to get up on this bad boy. It plays like butter, has beautiful music, epic boss fights, and an art style that captures the iconography of shape in some pretty amazing ways.

Worgen:
Seriously, how the fuck is PC gamer the only site to give Hollow Knight any kind of reward. (best platformer) Polygon had a top 50 of the year and somehow totally ignored it.

Maybe cause its part of a saturated genre?

At this point when i see 'inde' and 'platformer' are the top 2 tags i just want to take a shot of oven cleaner before i continue to scour for literally any RTS releases.

Eh the cutsy chibi plushdoll bait art style isn't for me.

I'll stick with the new Metroid: Return of Samus on the 3DS thank you.

Samtemdo8:

Hollow Knight is the baby of Metroid and Darksouls with Miyazaki as the midwife. You need to get past your preconceived notions for the game, it is one of the darkest bleakest worlds in gaming in 2017.

Worgen:

Samtemdo8:

it is one of the darkest bleakest worlds in gaming in 2017.

That makes me dislike it even more than. This silly intentional contrast by portraying dark stories with a tonally inconsistant art style.

Just have your Dark and Grim Stories with a Dark and Grim Art direction thank you. You can't do cutesy and dark at the same time :P

Ergh damn indie hipsters with their disdain for anything traditional...

Worgen:

Samtemdo8:

Hollow Knight is the baby of Metroid and Darksouls with Miyazaki as the midwife. You need to get past your preconceived notions for the game, it is one of the darkest bleakest worlds in gaming in 2017.

Hollow Knight is a title who's merits are easy to see at a glance. It isn't worth convincing anyone who can be so cavalier in dismissing it otherwise.

Samtemdo8:

You can't do cutesy and dark at the same time :P

I super disagree with that notion.

Also, Nier Automata would like to have a word with you.

Samtemdo8:

Worgen:

Samtemdo8:

it is one of the darkest bleakest worlds in gaming in 2017.

That makes me dislike it even more than. This silly intentional contrast by portraying dark stories with a tonally inconsistant art style.

Just have your Dark and Grim Stories with a Dark and Grim Art direction thank you. You can't do cutesy and dark at the same time :P

Ergh damn indie hipsters with their disdain for anything traditional...

Oh please, you haven't played the game, your just assuming. The bleakness of grimness of the world perfectly fits the art style. You go buy the game, play it, love it, and then you can talk smack about it "not fitting the art" since right now you have no idea.

I'm waiting for the Switch port to pick it up. Been interested in it for a while but I've been busy with other games.

Wait... Hollow Knight was released 2017?

*Google-fu*

Huh. Released 24th of February 2017. I thought it was a 2016 release. Anyway, absolutely great game (I definitely recommend playing with a gamepad though; keyboard controls are frustrating as all hell). It's really satisfying to track your improvement when you have to backtrack through areas that gave you trouble and you simply blast through them with no difficulty.

Looks at trailer...

...is it just me, or does the protagonist not look like a knight at all? If anything, he reminds me of a vampire.

There's a list out today on Rock Paper Shotgun (which I love) by John Walker (who has a habit of having opinions fundamentally different from mine) of best Metroidvania's. He omits Hollow Knight. Knickers are bunched all over the place. I just mention this because I'd been reading these comments, then decided to check out The Escapist and saw this thread. Funny.

Also, Hollow Knight is fucking great, and everyone should absolutely get it.

And holy crap yeah, it's from 2017. Thus, it bumps Cuphead out of my top 3, pushes The Sexy Brutale one place down. PUBG still on 1 though.

Hawki:
Looks at trailer...

...is it just me, or does the protagonist not look like a knight at all? If anything, he reminds me of a vampire.

No, the protagonist isn't the Knight

Edit: great game. Was at least spoken of by people here on the forum. Fuck White Palace though

I also thought it was a 2016 release, this year had a lot of souls inspired games (and actually good ones) as well as tough as nail platformers (Cuphead) so Hollow Knight kinda faded into the backdrop since it was released so early.

Speaking of which, I still haven't finished the final boss, god damnit I hate multi staged bosses and this one has insane damage and doesn't let go for a second.

Potjeslatinist:
There's a list out today on Rock Paper Shotgun (which I love) by John Walker (who has a habit of having opinions fundamentally different from mine) of best Metroidvania's. He omits Hollow Knight. Knickers are bunched all over the place. I just mention this because I'd been reading these comments, then decided to check out The Escapist and saw this thread. Funny.

Also, Hollow Knight is fucking great, and everyone should absolutely get it.

And holy crap yeah, it's from 2017. Thus, it bumps Cuphead out of my top 3, pushes The Sexy Brutale one place down. PUBG still on 1 though.

I know right. I have no idea how so many gaming sites have forgotten it. Literally the only one that even mentioned it is PCgamer, it doesn't even show up in other sites lists, not just not winning but not mentioned at all.

inu-kun:
I also thought it was a 2016 release, this year had a lot of souls inspired games (and actually good ones) as well as tough as nail platformers (Cuphead) so Hollow Knight kinda faded into the backdrop since it was released so early.

Speaking of which, I still haven't finished the final boss, god damnit I hate multi staged bosses and this one has insane damage and doesn't let go for a second.

The last boss is multi-stage? I must have missed something since I only remember one stage and he was a pushover compared to some of the other bosses I faced and the white palace.

I adored what I played of Hollow Knight. Need to go back and finish it sometime.
I got it via IndieBox, which came with a soundtrack CD and a grub plushie. RIP, IndieBox.

Worgen:

inu-kun:

The last boss is multi-stage? I must have missed something since I only remember one stage and he was a pushover compared to some of the other bosses I faced and the white palace.

I've seen it pop hither and thither, and it seems to be hang around discussion threads a lot. In the GOTY thread here where people were just spitballing (the one before the current front pager with someones arbitrary poll options) it was running 3rd or 4th.

As to how it dropped off folks radar, well, the end parts do start to wear thin (the Arena and the White Palace specifically), so a decent chunk of folks left with a bad taste. And from what I've heard, the DLC kind of doubled down on that sort of thing, which would be the more recent bubble of interest around it. TV Show that hung on for a season too long syndrome, mayhaps.

inu-kun:

Worgen:

inu-kun:

Seth Carter:
I've seen it pop hither and thither, and it seems to be hang around discussion threads a lot. In the GOTY thread here where people were just spitballing (the one before the current front pager with someones arbitrary poll options) it was running 3rd or 4th.

As to how it dropped off folks radar, well, the end parts do start to wear thin (the Arena and the White Palace specifically), so a decent chunk of folks left with a bad taste. And from what I've heard, the DLC kind of doubled down on that sort of thing, which would be the more recent bubble of interest around it. TV Show that hung on for a season too long syndrome, mayhaps.

Ehh, I don't see any issue with the arena, I beat it pretty quick, I can see how the white palace left a bad taste with people just cause its so different from the rest of the game. It goes to suddenly hard platforming instead of combat. I didn't have much issue with it, but I also beat Super Meat Boy.

inu-kun:

Worgen:

inu-kun:

Oh holy crap, that is so much more satisfying than the ending I kept getting. The ending was still open ended but gave much more closure then the other one and the boss was more fun to fight. Still a bit easy compared to the nightmare versions of enemies but quite enjoyable. Totally fixed my one complaint about the game, that the ending seemed weak.

I never finished Hollow Knight. I just sort of bounced off of it. Great atmosphere but I found myself continually hitting dead ends and running in circles looking for the way forward. It got extremely frustrating to me and I stopped having fun pretty quickly. This has happened a few times with 2-D indie games though so maybe they're just not for me.

I've seen it mentioned a fair few times, always favorably.

Didn't do much me personally. These days I can't stand games where the movement and/or combat doesn't have a sense of weight to it. Makes playing feel like throwing a balloon.

Nice aesthetic going on though. Makes me wish I'd liked it.

Brother played it to full 100% and really liked it, wanted it badly but PC can't run it well in slower moments so it's off the table. voted for it in the Steam Awards happily and will sing it's praise as a game of few metroidvanias that get combat and platforming on equal footing of enjoyment.

Worgen:

inu-kun:

Worgen:

Oh holy crap, that is so much more satisfying than the ending I kept getting. The ending was still open ended but gave much more closure then the other one and the boss was more fun to fight. Still a bit easy compared to the nightmare versions of enemies but quite enjoyable. Totally fixed my one complaint about the game, that the ending seemed weak.

Did you beat the boss?

inu-kun:

Worgen:

inu-kun:

Did you beat the boss?

yeah.

Worgen:

inu-kun:

Worgen:

Did you beat the boss?

yeah.

Damn, that was fast

inu-kun:

Worgen:

inu-kun:

Did you beat the boss?

yeah.

Damn, that was fast

Yeah, I had a save right before the boss and it only managed to kill me once.

Couldn't figure out where to go. Got bored of wandering. Never got far.

Tank207:
I'm waiting for the Switch port to pick it up. Been interested in it for a while but I've been busy with other games.

Yeah. Same.
After getting a Switch and traveling with it and trying out all the ways to play it at home, on the crapper, in bed, while watching TV... I'm pretty much waiting for everything I don't need right this second to come to Switch now.

Nindies of very uneven quality are flooding the console now, but it was nice when just quality Nindies were getting ported inbetween big first party games once a month.

They need to start cleaning up the store a bit. Otherwise the virtual console/store is going to get flooded with crap like the Wii was.

JUMBO PALACE:
I never finished Hollow Knight. I just sort of bounced off of it. Great atmosphere but I found myself continually hitting dead ends and running in circles looking for the way forward. It got extremely frustrating to me and I stopped having fun pretty quickly. This has happened a few times with 2-D indie games though so maybe they're just not for me.

Yeah, I enjoyed Hollow Knight, but I think it has a really slow start. For a while you're just sort of backtracking a lot and bouncing back and forth off of multiple dead ends until you find the right abilities to start getting past them. So there were moments that made me feel like the game didn't really respect the player's time.

Once I got past the first few humps though I was able to appreciate it more. The combat's fast and fun once you get the right abilities, and the world's atmospheric and interesting in a way that made me want to keep exploring. There were still frustrating moments, but I think it's worth sticking with for a playthrough. Even though Metroidvanias aren't usually my cup of tea.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here