Nintendo Switch becomes the fastest selling videogame console in US History

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The escapist and the rest of the internet told me this thing was going to be a massive flop and become a Wii U 2.0

Why would you all lie to me?

Who said it was going to flop (and no, just one or two comments don't count)? At worst the sentiment was that if it was going to flop, Nintendo might not recover from it, as that would make two in a row.

Casual Shinji:
Who said it was going to flop (and no, just one or two comments don't count)?

it's called a rhetorical question.

Yoshi178:

Casual Shinji:

Really? Because knowing you this is another 'I told you so' thread, calling out anyone that dared not believe in the Lord and Savior Nintendo.

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:

Casual Shinji:

Really? Because knowing you this is another 'I told you so' thread, calling out anyone that dared not believe in the Lord and Savior Nintendo.

you don't know anything about me other than the fact that i like Nintendo games.

Yoshi178:
you don't know anything about me other than the fact that i like Nintendo games.

Well yes... that's all I'm commenting on, isn't it?

That's nice. Nintendo made a gamble and it's paying off. Good for them. They'll want to make sure to sustain that success, but without knowing their plans, I'll refrain from any conjecture about that.

I'm still holding off on buying a Switch though. It hasn't met my minimum "games I want" quota for buying a new system yet.

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:

Well yes... that's all I'm commenting on, isn't it?

no. you asked me which escapist users said it was going to flop and that having only one or two quotes doesn't count.

why do i need to tell you which specific users said that the Switch would flop?

am i not allowed to comment openly about what the general reaction to the Switch was like a year ago without providing proof of exactly "who said what?" now am i?

there was shitloads of skepticism towards the Switch and how it would perform on the market not just before it came out, but even in the first several months of it being released where people would say stuff like "Switch selling 3 million in the first month isn't impressive at all. could easily just be a short lived fluke at this point in it's life. if it's continuing to do these type of numbers in a years time then maybe it could be considered a success".

to act like there was no skepticism towards the Switch at all back then is pretty naive.

I'm actually hoping microsoft and sony take hints from this for the next generation.

1: Having the most power doesn't matter, unless you want to directly compete with PC's. A battle you'll always lose.
2: Actually innovate. Sure, Nintendo took a gamble, but it paid off and shows that people really like a portable console, even if it's less powerful.
3: Actually have good exclusive games that make people want to buy the console. (Zelda, Mario, Kirby, an upcoming Pokemon game, etc.)
4: Quit your always online "games as a service" bullshit. Gamers just want to buy their games and play them.

Sure, the switch isn't perfect. But it's the only console I was genuinely excited for this generation. (which of course means I bought one.)

sanquin:
I'm actually hoping microsoft and sony take hints from this for the next generation.

1: Having the most power doesn't matter, unless you want to directly compete with PC's. A battle you'll always lose.
2: Actually innovate. Sure, Nintendo took a gamble, but it paid off and shows that people really like a portable console, even if it's less powerful.
3: Actually have good exclusive games that make people want to buy the console. (Zelda, Mario, Kirby, an upcoming Pokemon game, etc.)
4: Quit your always online "games as a service" bullshit. Gamers just want to buy their games and play them.

Sure, the switch isn't perfect. But it's the only console I was genuinely excited for this generation. (which of course means I bought one.)

Per the above points:

1) It kind of matters in the sense that the Switch is underpowered compared to its contemporaries, and ipso facto, is the least desirable of the three consoles for third party games (which feeds into another point).

2) The Switch does have portability, I'll grant it that.

3) Every console has exclusives, that's not an argument in of itself, it's down to the quality of the exclusives, which is far more subjective. The Switch has some exclusives I'm interested in, but not nearly enough to justify buying it (yet). Per point 1, the Switch is the least ideal console for third parties.

4) That's a different issue. The success of multiplayer-only games shows that there's a market for them, and the Switch has games that follow the model anyway (e.g. ARMS).

At the end of the day, good for the Switch, but it doesn't change my preference for Nintendo's software over its hardware.

That sound you just heard was thousand of sphincters tightening due to underestimating Nintendo (again!). It sure has made stuff like this so evergreen they could be mistaken for a tree:

https://twitter.com/tinycartridge/status/949068338340253696

Seriously, this is why it's been asinine to whine about or nitpick Nintendo for the past decade. The arguments don't work, they never worked, time to get new material. Now to see what they have in store for the coming year.

Hawki:

1) It kind of matters in the sense that the Switch is underpowered compared to its contemporaries, and ipso facto, is the least desirable of the three consoles for third party games (which feeds into another point).

people were saying that the Switch is too underpowered and would never get third party support 6 months ago and disagreed with me when i told them that if the Switch keeps selling well, then 3rd Support would follow.

what i said back then is already beginning to come true. Switch has begun to get games like 2016's DOOM and next year in 2018 it's been announced to be getting games like Wolfenstein II, Dragon Quest 11, Bayonetta 3 and the Mega Man and Street Fighter 30th anniversary collections are all coming to Switch.

sure games like Wolfenstein II aren't going to be as pretty on the Switch as they are on the PS4/Xbox One/PC, but DOOM itself already proves that decent ports can be made and optimised for the Switch. and like i said, as long as the Switch keeps selling, then the 3rd Party support would come too and only get better, and we're already seeing that with game announcements like the ones i just listed.

That must be very gratifying for Nintendo. Well done, guys.

Casual Shinji:
Who said it was going to flop (and no, just one or two comments don't count)? At worst the sentiment was that if it was going to flop, Nintendo might not recover from it, as that would make two in a row.

Oh comon. Don't do that. I dislike Yoshi as much ad the next guy but he's right ( i puked a little in my mouth). When the Switch was announced every second Escapist laughed at it and said it was going to flop. And the other half said they didn't care about nintendo.

Throw the poor guy a bone.

Yoshi178:

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:

It's fairly obvious that you have a strangely large emotional investment in the whole shebang.

I have a Switch. I like the thing. But so far I wouldn't say I'm super impressed, I bought it more as a investment for potential things to come.

Now the question remains whether they can keep this momentum up or not.

Admittedlly, even for a sceptic as I am (if not vocal about it)... I am planing on getting a Switch this year.
NMH3, Pokemon, Bayonetta, Splatoon those make it all tempting. Specially Splatoon, tbh. I just hope the build quality has improved. That is one thing Ninty has been dropping the balls on badly imo.

Fischgopf:

It's fairly obvious that you have a strangely large emotional investment in the whole shebang

I'm passionate about Nintendo games. so shoot me.

bluegate:
Now the question remains whether they can keep this momentum up or not.

Probably; there are no signs of it petering out any time soon, especially if they keep the content going on. Considering that Nintendo can survive almost exclusively on 1st party content and with the new wave of 3rd party support, the Switch does not look to be having an off year anytime soon.

Lufia Erim:

Hmmmm no, sorry. In regards to Nintendo, the guy's default setting is gloating, so on that topic I like to refrain from throwing one unless absolutely, positively necessary.

Lufia Erim:
Oh comon. Don't do that. I dislike Yoshi as much ad the next guy but he's right ( i puked a little in my mouth). When the Switch was announced every second Escapist laughed at it and said it was going to flop. And the other half said they didn't care about nintendo.

I remember there being part indifference and part speculation on whether it was going to succeed, and what it needed to succeed (3rd party support etc). With maybe a few stating it was going to flop. But by no means where people laughing it off. As a matter of fact, once that first reveal trailer hit I remember the consensus to be rather positive. You compare that to the reveal of the Xbox One... That was hate, that was being laughed off.

Casual Shinji:

Lufia Erim:

Hmmmm no, sorry. In regards to Nintendo, the guy's default setting is gloating, so on that topic I like to refrain from throwing one unless absolutely, positively necessary.

oh you mean like how your default setting is to nitpick at every statement i make and get me to back up every single little detail up with exact quotes as evidence?

and "in regards to Nintendo", what exactly has there been to gloat about before the Switch? the Wii U sold like shit, your PS4 and Xbox One's are more powerful than the Wii U, and they had more 3rd Party Support than Wii U etc etc. as this forum NEVER failed to remind me of time and time again.

It's because of their outstanding selection of exclusives. Something that Microsoft (and to a lesser extent, Sony) didn't see. Also, I'm pretty freaking sure that if Halo 5 was actually worth buying, it would have rocketed their console back to greatness. But they screwed that up. They screwed their exclusives up. And now they're paying for it.

I actually don't blame Microsoft though at all for trying to get rid of exclusives. They simply wanted to get rid of the fact that you had to get one specific console to play one specific game. An admirable goal to be sure, but the sad truth is, exclusives are a necessary evil. Although there are some benefits to gamers and devs by making console-exclusive games. It means less headache for the dev and more of an ability to optimize the game for one specific piece of hardware, which leads to being able to make a particular game better on one system than it would be if it had to be ported across three sometimes radically different consoles. And finally, it's good for the console-makers themselves obviously since it moves units and builds brand loyalty.

Yoshi178:

Casual Shinji:

oh you mean like how your default setting is to nitpick at every statement i make and get me to back up every single little detail up with exact quotes as evidence?

I think this is actually the first time I asked for any sort of quotes. But I don't deny that usually when I see you make a statement about Nintendo, I automatically reach for my microscope and tweezers.

Phoenixmgs:
The Wii sold more than both the PS3 and 360, that didn't matter either. The Switch is just going to be another "Nintendo system" that does the same thing every Nintendo system has done since the Gamecube. The most successful the Switch can ever be is taking over Nintendo's own portable market, then does that really change anything? Nope.

---
Let me know when any of THAT changes...

Poetic Nova:
I just hope the build quality has improved. That is one thing Ninty has been dropping the balls on badly imo.

The long-term use of the detachable joycons has me worried the thing will eventually wear down the locking system and make the thing just slide out. Anyone here with a Switch able to comment?

Huh, neat. My bro has nothing but good things to say about it.i haven't bought a Nintendo console since the wii, but since the switch is getting Shin megami tensei five, I'll definitely be getting one eventually

A friend of mine has one and he seems very impressed. I'm just not really into any of the games on it, though I do like the idea of being able to take it with me.

The Wii U would have been fine if it had launched with a Zelda title as well.

I don't believe that you can compare the two systems in the same way. If you want to simply go by financial success, then yes the Switch is a clear winner and will probably continue to do well. However the Switch still is suffering from the same thing that the Wii U suffered from, and that is simply a lack of good 3rd party games.

Sure the Switch certainly has more 3rd party support as of now from 3rd party developers, we have yet to see a good killer 3rd party app on the system.

But what about Skyrim and L.A. Noire? You will ask.

Well those games are in fact good. But they are six fucking years old. That isn't gonna cut it. The Switch NEEDS a solid non-Nintendo related game from a non-Nintendo company of AAA quality.

Give them props for including Indie support and a fairly great launch year of 1st party titles. But remember this, the Wii U was a great system. Games like Mario Bros. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Wooly world, Mario Maker, Monster Hunter (1 of the 4 MH releases that occured in the system's lifecycle), and Bayonetta. There was some really great games on that system, but it failed for two reasons. One was poor marketing, and the other was the 3rd party support.

Right now, I contribute the Switch's status to both a better marketing scheme and a solid Zelda launch title.

What happens this year? We will have to see.

I remember when it was announced, I thought it was going to fail, because it was a handheld at 300 dollars. However taking a closer look at it, the announcement, launch and comparing it to other consoles, it became appearant that it did a lot of things right. Some of them, it did by what seems to be, accident.

There are 2 basic things a console needs to get right to have atleast a successful first couple of years.
- A good first presentation, aka, having a desirable looking product for the consumer, and showing it off in a clear manner, Switch achieved this pretty well
- Having a competitive price point for the product, which it did, and I'll explain why in a bit

These are the primary deciding factors for a consoles success in the first 3 years of its life. Yes, you read that right, years of the console's popularity is decided by its first reveal and initial price point. If you come out of the gate hot, people want it, if you're cold, people will sleep on it.

- Optionally: have one killer app, in this case it would be Zelda, to help launch of the new product, obviously achieved here, but the reason it's optional, is that, consoles in the past have launched staggeringly well, without any tangible draws as far as games go, the promise of future titles is enough in a lot of cases. Just look at PS2, the best selling console of all time.

Now: The value proposition, and why the price turned out to be right.

Now, obviously most people can tell it's a handheld with a shitty plastic piece of garbage that doubles as a dock and a bunch of worthless gimmicks. However, that doesn't mean it's viewed as a handheld by the population, especially not after its initial presentation. (Which is ironic, once you consider that most people play it out of the dock.)

Empirical evidence shows, that handhelds, products clearly defined as such, do not sell at such a high price point. They tend not to sell at even 250 dollars. Time and again this has been proven, as recently as the Vita and the 3DS, both of which launched at the 250-300 range, and both have failed astonishingly badly during their launch periods. Nintendo managed to course correct the the 3DS with a price cut to 180 dollars 4 months after launch, and a couple of years of hard work, while Sony gave up on the Vita entirely.

The only 'handheld' to have succeeded at this range, is the PSP, and that was in large part to the strength of the brand at the time, as well as the promise of a machine capable of delivering home console style games, the realities of course not known by most at the time. It thus came across as a desireable product for its time. However, once they tried to go to that well a second time with the Vita, it proved to be a complete failure, because it was now a known quantity and people knew what to expect from a machine in this style.

Now, why is this important? Remember the launch of the Switch, when they were very non-commited to calling it either a handheld or a console? Well, that's because Nintendo seem have realised the thing I have just described. If they have called this thing a 'handheld' in their initial pitch to the audience, it would have limited its popularity severely, once the price was revealed. However, a new home console, at a 300 dollar price point, in a time when home consoles are priced 400 at launch, now that sounds great, doesn't it? Why it's a steal even, for a home console! And that's the crux of it. By implying it was a home console, and later stating it was a home console, the asking price became more than acceptable, it became a bargain. It already had a good showing, came across like slick looking product, it caught the eye of a lot of people. Calling it a console sealed the deal, and set the stage for its huge success.

I have written before, that the end result was somewhat accidental. The oh-ing and ah-ing over handheld/console seems to have been a very late issue that came up during market research leading up to reveal. It's clear, that the inital idea was to imitate the success of the Wii once again, via an assortment of hardware gimmicks, haptic feedback(HD rumble), gyro, the detachable controllers, motion controls. A desperate piling on of gimmicks in the hopes to capture the audience the way the Wii did, while merging their successful handheld side with then ailing home console side. It did little but to drive up the asking price of the console. However, market research seems indicated that people were more receptive to the product if it was positioned as a home console. Thus, what was originally an unfocused handheld with a half a dozen gimmicks, turned into a home console with the gimmick of portability. They were undecided whether to pursue this angle or not for quite a while, but in the end Nintendo commited to it, leading to its massive success. And as a bonus, the muddying of lines between handheld and console helped it greatly, as now, even people who call it a handheld, find the price point acceptable.

Now, why did I write all this? Because it's important to note why this thing became successful, it didn't get successful just by being a 'handheld', like saltine fanboys would like to believe. Even if you and I can agree that the home console aspect is an afterthought. How, it was a bit touch and go for a while whether or not this was going to be a success story or not. How, the perception of value and the association of prices with terms can be used to change the outlook on a product completely. And most importantly, see what are the most important aspects when launching a console. 'Cus being being able to sell a product to people is more important than having the best product.

On a side note, by and large, it seems like the Switch audience is different from the Wii audience. The age range of buyers indicates that the people fall inside the 'core gaming audience' category, which could have positive implications for sales for 3rd party titles as opposed to the Wii. Time will tell, but there's hope that 3rd party games sell well this time around.

Yoshi178:

Fischgopf:

It's fairly obvious that you have a strangely large emotional investment in the whole shebang

I'm passionate about Nintendo games. so shoot me.

Bang! :P

Arnoxthe1:
It's because of their outstanding selection of exclusives. Something that Microsoft (and to a lesser extent, Sony) didn't see. Also, I'm pretty freaking sure that if Halo 5 was actually worth buying, it would have rocketed their console back to greatness. But they screwed that up. They screwed their exclusives up. And now they're paying for it.

That's pretty subjective though. I'd say the Xbox One shot itself in the foot with its launch and the whole DRM stuff. Personally speaking, I found Halo 5 to be very much worth buying (and playing). On the other hand, the Switch's selection of exclusives is not only lower than its competitors (at least Sony), but looking at the list, at the very most and being generous, I'd say there's 3 that interest me, 4 if I throw in Breath of the Wild (which isn't technically an exclusive since it's out on the Wii U).

"NOOOOO! I'll get you next time, Nintendo! NEXT TIME!"

My thoughts on the Switch haven't changed. It's a jack of all trades but master of none.

As an in home console it falls behind the base systems from Sony and Microsoft. Why would I choose the Switch to play my games when they'll likely look and play better on the PS4 or Xbox One.

Of course the real strength of the Switch lies in using it when undocked and I confess that is the part that still has my interest, who wouldn't like the ability to play current triple A games on the go?

Yet undocked it has to compete against Nintendo's other portable system the 3DS. With a 3DS I can shove it, and a few games, in my jacket pocket and not have to worry about it. The Switch just doesn't have that same level of portability and I have to worry about the possibility of losing peripherals, a joycon is just a tad more expensive to replace than a stylus.

Of course in the end what matter with any system is what games you can play on it and I have to admit that Nintendo is knocking it out of the park in regard to first party games and by doing that they've made third party publishers keener to get their developers to take that extra step down to get the games running well on the Switch.

Nintendo still has my interest in the Switch but for portable gaming, I'll be sticking with the GPD XD android system for now. When I can play the Shining Force III trilogy on the go, Breath of the Wild loses a bit of its attraction for me.

The Switch looks rather slick, I'll give it that.

I'm just waiting for the eventual emulator... For technical curiosity only, of course.

votemarvel:
Of course the real strength of the Switch lies in using it when undocked and I confess that is the part that still has my interest, who wouldn't like the ability to play current triple A games on the go?

Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but I sure as hell don't. It's about as pleasant to me as watching movies on a phone. I played Breath of the Wild undocked for like half an hour, and while it runs fine I can't say I found the experience very immersive. Even a game like Stardew Valley I'd much rather play on a TV screen.

votemarvel:
As an in home console it falls behind the base systems from Sony and Microsoft. Why would I choose the Switch to play my games when they'll likely look and play better on the PS4 or Xbox One.

They seem to be getting a lot more dedicated third-party exclussives though, what with the system rising in popularity. And that's been one of their weaker points for a while now.

Casual Shinji:

votemarvel:

Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but I sure as hell don't. It's about as pleasant to me as watching movies on a phone. I played Breath of the Wild undocked for like half an hour, and while it runs fine I can't say I found the experience very immersive. Even a game like Stardew Valley I'd much rather play on a TV screen.

I'd much rather play on a TV screen.

so would i, but when i'm on an hour Train or a several hour Plane trip, i don't exactly have that luxury now do i? at least having a portable form of my triple A games eliminates my boredom. normally i don't even play it in handheld mode either. if i do play it on the go usually i set the thing up on a table and play in tabletop mode which is so much comfier than handheld mode.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here