Do video games make you go more introverted?

This might be just me and my personality, but I've noticed that when I get addicted to video games for a while (owing to the need to escape from reality or whatever) after a few days I go a lot more into myself than I usually am and have less need for social interaction that can last for quite a while afterwards. This happens to me regularly.

When I'm out in the world I'm pretty extraverted (I'm an ENFP, if anyone know the Myers Briggs type indicator), but a few days with games seems to do the opposite to me, is what I'm trying to say, I think.

Does anyone else experience this? Or maybe it does the opposite to you and makes you want to go and see people more after an extended time with video games. What are your experiences with it and why do you think it is?

I wouldn't say that, exactly. The cause and effect is more likely to be reversed.
One might spend more time playing games, because you enjoy being alone/indoors because you are introverted.

I only have to spend one work-day or an afternoon shopping trip to be exhausted, and fall asleep fairly soon after I get home.
I then have to recharge by being alone for several days.
(It was pretty grueling working a regular job, I slept from the time I got home to having to go to work again (mon-fri), then slept away the entire weekend as well!)

Everything on a scale of course..but in general, extroverted people gets their energy by spending time with others and introverted people gets energy from spending time alone.

Vendor-Lazarus:
Everything on a scale of course..but in general, extroverted people gets their energy by spending time with others and introverted people gets energy from spending time alone.

Yeah I'm aware. I'm an ENFP on the MBTI. I'm supposedly the most introverted type of extrovert because Ne (my primary function) is a bit of an ambiverted function and Fi (my secondary function) means I need to recharge and reflect. However, I've noticed that games seem to put me into a more introverted mood, which is why I brought it up. I tend to have an idea to play a game for bit and I find myself feeling more introverted afterwards than when I started so the introverted period goes on longer than it usually would. Could just be game addiction - pure and simple!

I've always been an introvert. Doesn't matter what I do really. I've had no problems being alone for most days of the week for years. And after some slightly more energetic social interaction I'm always tired. Since I've started working I've gotten better at that, but after working for 4 days straight I definitely need a day or two to recuperate and recharge mentally.

If anything they draw introverted people.

dscross:

Vendor-Lazarus:

Yeah I'm aware. I'm an ENFP on the MBTI. I'm supposedly the most introverted type of extrovert because Ne (my primary function) is a bit of an ambiverted function and Fi (my secondary function) means I need to recharge and reflect. However, I've noticed that games seem to put me into a more introverted mood, which is why I brought it up. I tend to have an idea to play a game for bit and I find myself feeling more introverted afterwards than when I started so the introverted period goes on longer than it usually would. Could just be game addiction - pure and simple!

I'm an INTP myself. Haven't gone into which are my primary and secondary functions but then again, it's not exactly hard science. It is fun though, and can get you to learn more about yourself, if only through being asked to think about the questions.

You seem to exhibit the traits of a chameleon, in that you become a reflection of what you are doing, if only in extroverted/introverted tendencies. I have heard people say that they can change their moods or feelings by listening to certain music, while others can't listen to some music unless it reflects them. Might be the same with movies as well.

Vendor-Lazarus:

I'm an INTP myself. Haven't gone into which are my primary and secondary functions but then again, it's not exactly hard science. It is fun though, and can get you to learn more about yourself, if only through being asked to think about the questions.

You are right it's more observational than hard science, and it's just part of the puzzle of personality, but the functions give you a good insight into how you make decisions and gather information, in my opinion. I also feel like it teaches you to appreciate that a lot of people think differently.

You have the same function stack as my dad (who was a maths teacher). He's mad into cryptic crosswords and detective shows. I bet you love solving puzzles right? That'll be your Introverted Thinking.

The MBTI is actually based on the functions rather than on the individual letters. If you are an INTP than means your secondary function is the same as my primary function (Extraverted Intuition). For that reason, like me, I bet you prefer big picture thinking rather than little details. But I don't have your primary function (Introverted Thinking) in my stack at all. Everyone supposedly has 4 in their main stack (and then 4 shadow functions that you don't really use).

Intuition and Sensing are your information gathering faculties (Perception Functions)
Thinking and Feeling are your decision making faculties (Judging Functions)
The P and J letters determine which of your two main Perception or Judging functions is extraverted - or shown to the world. So if you are an INTP, than means the N is extraverted (as your secondary function), whereas with an INTJ, the T would be extraverted (as their secondary function). I'm an ENFP, so the N is extraverted, and the F is introverted, but because I'm an Extravert, it's the N that is my primary function rather than secondary. Your functions work differently depending on where they sit in the stack because they need to filter through your other functions.

Jungian stuff is dead interesting, even if it is just theoretical. I always found it more useful than anything else of the same ilk.
If you are interested in your own functions: https://www.typeinmind.com/tine/

I dunno, depends on the game. Like you I can get single minded about a new, gripping game. When I first played State of Decay, oh man, I couldn't put it down. It occupied me, entirely. I dreamed of it, thought of it. If State of Decay were a person, I'd have been in love. And I'm sure I neglected social duties during my first run through.

But what about a multiplayer game? Game night with Borderlands 2 and the guys is about as social as it gets. Drinking, chicken wings, and shitty comedy and also Tiny Tina. I don't really feel like an introvert during that.

introverted makes you go videogames

Xsjadoblayde:

You make introverts into gaming videos

Depends on the number of players involved. If it's a solely single player experience then yes. Multiplayer on the other hand can help bring me out of my shell (introvert here), especially if it's with friends/coworkers. Bonus points if it's old-school couch multiplayer.

Silentpony:

Xsjadoblayde:

You make introverts into gaming videos

Nope. You make introverts into game!

Sort them out but good with a little right and proper sport, wouldn't you say? Pip pip, tally ho.

Xsjadoblayde:

Are you mocking it because you are uncomfortable with the topic or because you think the subject title is phrased poorly?

dscross:

Are you mocking it because you are uncomfortable with the topic or because you think the subject title is phrased poorly?

wasn't intending to mock anyone nor felt uncomfortable about anything, was just trying to agree with the sentiment others put that it seems the other way around, but was in very low energy mood and kind of have a habit of incorrectly using words out of boredom for the expected etiquette of eloquency. Didn't think it could be taken negatively, sorry about that'n

I agree with others, I think Videogames draw introversion inclined people to them, and could possibly draw out latent introverted tenancies. They are a way to interact with A world they can control without having to interact with the world.

I think it has less to do with video games specifically and more to do with the social isolation itself. Like if you isolated yourself reading a book or binge watching Netflix I doubt you'd feel any different than you do with your long video game sessions. That's just speculation though, I'm no psychologist.

INTP here, so my opinion may not count as much. I don't think it makes you introverted, just that it amplifies the introversion if you were one to begin with. If video games didn't exist or the power was out, I'd be with a book.

Of course, games are harder to put down once you start on it, so that might be why it appears to make you more introverted and unsociable within the house. Outside, I still prefer to keep to myself. I only talk if and when needed.

Nope. I'm appearently an ENFP-T, whatever that means. So I've always been fairly extroverted since I came out of my shell in high school. I teach during the day where I get to socialize with my students and fellow teachers, class three nights a week where I socialize with classmates and the weekends to tear it up with friends. Usually I just play games on my nights off or the odd weekend where I stay in. Even when playing video games I usually stay in contact with a few friends via texting since it's not hard to shoot them off between rounds of whatever.

I do occasionally get drawn in by games but that usually just means that I don't get enough sleep during the week but I struggle with insomnia so I'm used to it anyway.

No idea I guess some would call me introverted in that I am a bit of a loner. Being alone doesnt bother me most of the time in fact I often prefer it. I dont have problems interacting with others as in it doesnt scare me or tire me out although it often bores me except with friends who I am lucky to have quite a number of.

When playing games I quite often like playing them alone but then again with certain competitive games I much prefer playing with people ideally in the same room (my preferred way to play fighters by far). I generally dont enjoy playing online anywhere near as much but recently with Dissidia all I have done is play the online bit with randoms and have had a blast. Also made some good online friends over on FFXIV one of whom im going to see in a few weeks.

In short I dont think games make you introverted I just think they are a great escape for introverts because like reading and writing etc you can do it all alone and have great fun with it.

If you get addicted to games its likely going to make you introverted but thats more a problem of the addiction as in if you got addicted to partying then you would likely become more extroverted. Dont get addicted to things its frikkin horrible.

I don't think that games do that to you, but rather the extent you rely on video games as an escape mechanism could be relational to how you are as a person. Ultimately, there's playing games to relax and destress and there's immersing yourself in video games to escape from all sorts of reality.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here