Total War: China Announced

Set during the Romance of the Three Kingdoms era of China.

This coming out in Fall of this year tells me I won't be seeing Total War: Warhammer 3 until next year.

I only waited like 12 years for this... Shut up, CA, and take my money!

Gethsemani:
I only waited like 12 years for this... Shut up, CA, and take my money!

Time to learn my history of the Three Kingdoms era of China and who are the major players in this era of conflict.

No.

I'm sorry, I just got used to the magic setting with Warhammer. I want more of that. I wanted Total War 40k, or my wet dream has been Total War Shadowrun (Yes, I don't have any idea how it would work, but I love the universe)

Or hey, Total War Xcom. Add two new species that the Advent were actively fighting against.

I'm going to get Total War China. I've always loved the Three Kingdoms. But my mood has been shifted into magic and sci-fi. That's what I want now.

Finally! I kinda rather wanted another Chinese time frame bit its good enough.

The Chinese ministry of culture bans any media that depicts China as anything other than a united country. For this reason I suspect Chinese players will have a harder time getting hold of it, which is a shame for them.

I cannot say anything more, since I've only played one Total War game and I didn't like it.

Is it based on the romanticised version or on real historical record? Are there going to be magic and stuff? Is Lu Bu going to a one man army? Elephant?

So many question (also good choice by CA, but that means 40K is less likely in the immediate future).

Meiam:
Is it based on the romanticised version or on real historical record? Are there going to be magic and stuff? Is Lu Bu going to a one man army? Elephant?

So many question (also good choice by CA, but that means 40K is less likely in the immediate future).

I get the feeling that they are heading in at least a semi-romanticised version, seeing as how the heroes are prominently on display in the trailer. My guess is that they'll use something similar to the Lord/Hero system in Warhammer to represent these legendary heroes. Which probably is a good compromise between "My army is Lu Bu" and "Like Attila but in China".

Meiam:

We will see a World War 2 Total War before we see a Warhammer 40k Total War.

Tremble before the house of Wei!

Bedinsis:
The Chinese ministry of culture bans any media that depicts China as anything other than a united country. For this reason I suspect Chinese players will have a harder time getting hold of it, which is a shame for them.

I cannot say anything more, since I've only played one Total War game and I didn't like it.

How do they treat Koei's various Three Kingdoms games? (Dynasty Warriors, Kessen)

I dunno, aren't all these games basically the same now? Can't they just make 1 Total War game and release skins for it? I mean what really is the difference between Chinese spear-men against Cavalry, and Empire spear-men against Bretonnian cavalry?

Saelune:

Bedinsis:

How do they treat Koei's various Three Kingdoms games? (Dynasty Warriors, Kessen)

I don't think it's true for more than millenia ago China: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cliff_(film)

Bedinsis:

They might make an exception here. The three kingdoms are kind of a classic.

Silentpony:
I dunno, aren't all these games basically the same now? Can't they just make 1 Total War game and release skins for it? I mean what really is the difference between Chinese spear-men against Cavalry, and Empire spear-men against Bretonnian cavalry?

Animations mostly.

And Siege Battles in Rome 2 and Attila are alot more deeper than Warhammers.

(You can forify mini walls within the streets of the city, actually placing artillary pieces on walls, etc.)

Well this is rather interesting. I have to say, I rather like the current state of the Total War franchise. Big sweeping games like this, along with more focused games like Throne of Britannia, it's a good time to be into Total War.

erttheking:
Well this is rather interesting. I have to say, I rather like the current state of the Total War franchise. Big sweeping games like this, along with more focused games like Throne of Britannia, it's a good time to be into Total War.

Still this appears to be the year of the Historical Games which means I won't be seing Total War: Warhammer 3 until Fall/Holiday 2019.

Which means I won't be seeing Khorne Daemons for less than 2 years now :(

They better have more surprises with their DLC for Total War: Warhammer 2 before they move on to 3.

This looks fun. But really, what they SHOULD have done is do Total Warhammer 3, but set it in Cathay.

Then you get the best of both worlds! AND OGRES!

Bedinsis:

Nah, Romance of the Three Kingdoms (which is what all games of that era are based on) is basically China's war of the roses.

And of course, as usual, the Wu forces/Sun family is given very little focus.

Bedinsis:

inu-kun:

I don't think it's true for more than millenia ago China: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cliff_(film)

Pretty much, being one of THE 4 great classical works of Chinese literature probably gives you some leeway. Hence the long, long list of Chinese adaptations ranging from comics, tv-series, movies, plays, (mobile) games and a really popular card game.

Reply to all: my source was one of Robert Rath's columns here where he said Victoria II was banned in China for that reason(or at least the expansion that made China functionally several countries was); I am not able to find it at this moment.

It makes sense that it would be allowed if it's based on a piece of literature rather than history; I thought Total War games were primarily history based. Apologies for making assumptions.

Bedinsis:
Reply to all: my source was one of Robert Rath's columns here where he said Victoria II was banned in China for that reason(or at least the expansion that made China functionally several countries was); I am not able to find it at this moment.

It makes sense that it would be allowed if it's based on a piece of literature rather than history; I thought Total War games were primarily history based. Apologies for making assumptions.

Well, its based on literature based on history. The Three Kingdoms was a real historical period of China, but the period is so glorified and romanticized that if anything, China, even now, would be like "Look how awesome our history is".

I honestly have no idea what China's 'official' views on media about that era is though, hence why I asked you about how they view Dynasty Warriors. If anything, Id imagine they would mostly hate that it wasnt made by China.

Edit: I did find this. Not exactly anything official, but its something.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-Chinese-people-think-of-the-Dynasty-Warriors-franchise

ChupathingyX:

Eh, they are the lesser faction though. Maybe if Sun Ce had lived long enough, it would have been different, but most of Wu was them siding with Shu, and sometimes siding with Wei.

Fucking sold! ROTK series is a lot of fun to play, but their battles have never and likely will never come close to what Total War brings to the table.

Bedinsis:

As far as I understand China's stance on its' own history, it is quite alright to discuss the Three Kingdoms, the Yuan dynasty (which was created by invading Mongols) and the Qing dynasty (led by Manchurians). What China objects to is depictions of "modern China", roughly starting around the Boxer rebellion, as a fractured or divided country. The purpose is to diminish the legitimacy of Taiwan as a nation and prop up the legitimacy of the People's Republic of China. Integral to the PRCs image as a legitimate nation (as opposed to the rebels that won the civil war) is that China was unified and the the Communists were the rulers the people wanted, instead of just one of several splinter groups that eventually won a bloody civil war.

So if you talk about the Three Kingdoms, that's all cool because that's history. If you try to talk about the Xi'an Incident or the existence of the Kuomingdang, that's definitely not cool because those are things that the PRC leadership want people to forget, in favor of their manufactured version of modern Chinese history.

YES!
YEEEEESSSS!

HYYYYYPE!

YES, I'VE HAD MY RABIES SHOT, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!

Saelune:

ChupathingyX:

Eh, they are the lesser faction though. Maybe if Sun Ce had lived long enough, it would have been different, but most of Wu was them siding with Shu, and sometimes siding with Wei.

If we're talking about the novel then maybe, but historically? Definitely not. I assumed this was meant to be CA's next 'big' historical title, and if so it would be nice if they actually acknowledged what happened historically.

ChupathingyX:

That kinda chaffed me, as well. The political maneuvering of the Sun Wu kingdom was some of the more interesting stuff in the era, and they outlived both the Shu Han and the Wei as a result. Though to be fair we don't have all the info for this game yet.

Ah well, most stories lean too hard on the "shu=good, wei=evil" aspect, so they don't have any room to spare for Wu

Betcha the Dynasty Warriors guys are like, "shit, man, Creative Assembly's stealing our thunder!"

Meh. Is this going to be really bland unit-wise, like Shogun was? With the story focussed campaigns of Attila, which totally restricted all freedom of the player?

I miss the good old TW days.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here