Dark Souls... On the Go!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Well, the new Nintendo Direct Mini that was highly anitcipated has come and gone. And I think the new what their Crown Jewel was. Dark Souls Remastered. Everybodies* favorite Action RPG, will have a remastered version. Dark Souls Remasstered has been announced for PS4, Xbox One, PC and finally the Nintendo Switch. PC, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X will have 4k resolution with 60 FPS, but for me the Switch getting the game on mobile is the real winner. A legendaryly addictive game to have to play at home and then whenever you go out if you quite didn't get that part of the game seems like the winner for me. I have to saythe Switch looks really nice with this addition (disclosure I was already planning on buying one, but I really like this idea). Traile below:

Fake as fuck. we all know Nintendo doesn't get 3rd Party Support.

Yoshi178:

I get the idea of what you are saying but as a guy who bought a Switch.... the library is kinda shit right now and adding games that most people played years ago doesn't help, not to mention Nintendo not giving any meaningful discounts ever so my inclination to buy year old games like Zelda at near full price is not very high.

inu-kun:

Yoshi178:

I get the idea of what you are saying but as a guy who bought a Switch.... the library is kinda shit right now and adding games that most people played years ago doesn't help, not to mention Nintendo not giving any meaningful discounts ever so my inclination to buy year old games like Zelda at near full price is not very high.

you say that and yet Skyrim is one of the most played games on the Switch....

Oh and FYI. Ys VIII only came out in 2016. and that was in Japan. didn't come to the West till 2017

Yoshi178:

inu-kun:

Yoshi178:

you say that and yet Skyrim is one of the most played games on the Switch....

Oh and FYI. Ys VIII only came out in 2016. and that was in Japan. didn't come to the West till 2017

Oh yeah, Skyrim, I've never played that before...

Ys VIII sounds okay but it's also for the PS4 (better graphics), PC (better graphics and moddable) and Vita (superior handheld)

Well I am now interested in Dark souls. Being able to play a full version on a new console is a nice reason to play. I'm more excited for Hyrule Warriors because I never got to play it on the Wii U.

Also we already knew this was coming because Nintendo Announced From Software support at the Switch reveal event. Nobody thought a new game was actually coming right?

So far the direct is still showing that Nintendo Switch is merely getting older ports. I hope there is a new announcement.

inu-kun:

Ys VIII sounds okay but it's also for the PS4 (better graphics), PC (better graphics and moddable)

Yeah? And?

So what? the PS4 and PC versions were always going to be prettier. i can't play my PS4 or PC version in on the train or in the lunch room at work though can i?

also, no shit that it's also on PS4 and PC. that's basically the entire concept of 3rd Party Games. they are made by 3rd Party Developers OTHER than Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo and are usually put on multiple platforms.

inu-kun:
and Vita (superior handheld)

sorry but this part of your comment made me fucking LOL

Oh man, I am freaking excited for this. First Darkest Dungeon, now Dark Souls? This is going to be freaking ama-(reads the rest of the threat)zing...well, I got my moment of excitment in. I guess we need to have the same argument that happens in every single fucking Nintendo discussion on this website now.

(Still holding out for a Demon Souls remaster. Yes I know it's Demon's Souls, but Demon Souls sounds better.)

erttheking:
I guess we need to have the same argument that happens in every single fucking Nintendo discussion on this website now.

Well it wouldn't be the escapist otherwise now would it?

Yoshi178:

erttheking:
I guess we need to have the same argument that happens in every single fucking Nintendo discussion on this website now.

Dude, it takes two to tango, and you love to tango if you catch my drift.

erttheking:

Yoshi178:

erttheking:

Dude, it takes two to tango, and you love to tango if you catch my drift.

Never said i didn't.

Nice. Both "Only Console Games You're Allowed To Like On The Escapist" are on the Switch.

Yoshi178:

inu-kun:

Ys VIII sounds okay but it's also for the PS4 (better graphics), PC (better graphics and moddable)

Yeah? And?

So what? the PS4 and PC versions were always going to be prettier. i can't play my PS4 or PC version in on the train or in the lunch room at work though can i?

also, no shit that it's also on PS4 and PC. that's basically the entire concept of 3rd Party Games. they are made by 3rd Party Developers OTHER than Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo and are usually put on multiple platforms.

But they have distinct advantage over the Switch which doesn't just translates to "prettier" and makes a good case over the switch.

inu-kun:
and Vita (superior handheld)

sorry but this part of your comment made me fucking LOL

But it's true, the Switch is best described as a weird Chimera of handheld and a stationary console, being kinda meh in both categories. The Vita is much more comfortable, easy to carry and looks overall better.

If it's just improved visuals, I think I'll pass. There's some improvements to the series DS2 and DS3 made that I want to see for a DS1 remaster, like the upgrade system and resistance stat in particular.

And From Software's remastered cycle begins. Can't wait for the 8th release of Dark Souls remastered in 10 years on the PS7

erttheking:

(Still holding out for a Demon Souls remaster. Yes I know it's Demon's Souls, but Demon Souls sounds better.)

Better, sure. But Demon's S'ouls' definitely wins.

inu-kun:
The Vita is much more comfortable.

Yeah...No.

Vita doesn't let me detach the controllers so i can set it up on a table meanwhile i do stuff for maximum comfort like this.

Dark Souls on a portable console?... I don't know how to feel about that. On one hand, I really loved this game and I spent hours trying to clear the entire thing. On the other hand, I really don't want to be sent to the asylum for screeching at the air whenever I die.

I'm curious to see if they're gonna change anything in the gameplay though, like how they bound controllers to the hands in Skyrim.

It'll be interesting to see if the switch chuggs in Blight town.
That used to be a good test for a computer.

For those interested, the rest of the Nintendo Direct announcements:

- The World Ends With You Final Remix (upgraded port like the Kingdom Hearts ones)
- Some Pokken Tournament DX DLC
- Kirby Star Allies (demo)
- Dragon Quest Builders (demo)
- Hyrule Warriors
- Ys VIII
- Mario Tennis Aces
- Super Mario Odyssey free mp update
- SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy
- Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle dlc
- Payday 2
- Fe
- Celeste
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Free
- Dark Souls

Bit heavy on the ports perhaps, but I suppose it should tide over a decent amount of people until the next major release.

katelyn3:
Dark Souls on a portable console?... I don't know how to feel about that. On one hand, I really loved this game and I spent hours trying to clear the entire thing. On the other hand, I really don't want to be sent to the asylum for screeching at the air whenever I die.

I'm curious to see if they're gonna change anything in the gameplay though, like how they bound controllers to the hands in Skyrim.

I'm also curious about how to adapt the game not having a way to pause. Monster Hunter added an automatic pause feature at closing the 3DS. It will be interesting if they do the same.

McMarbles:
Nice. Both "Only Console Games You're Allowed To Like On The Escapist" are on the Switch.

Um...think I missed the memo.

Chimpzy:

They're releasing it for free? Awesome!

That's cool for those who want it on the go, but I'm way more interested in playing it at 60fps on the PS4 Pro.

DS1 is one of the worst PC ports I've ever played, let's see how it turns out first. Still haven't bought 3 though, but got Bloodborne from the christmas discount bin for the near future when I'll buy a PS4.

McMarbles:

Dark Souls, sure. But I've never seen a whole lot of love for Skyrim around here.

Johnny Novgorod:

McMarbles:

Dark Souls, sure. But I've never seen a whole lot of love for Skyrim around here.

Skyrim got a whole lotta love, like, 8 years ago. After the 500th iteration it does get a bit stale though.

Not excited for portable Souls, or other switch remasters. If it's a game I liked, chances are I've already played it and replayed it to contentment. Still waiting for Bayonetta 2.

I have been enjoying Fire Emblem Warriors on the 3DS though, seems like a very closely produced game with a lot of the elements of the strategy game included. Gets a bit frustrating at times when you can't just relax and slash things and the objectives get in the way, but is great fun regardless. Can always grind if wanting to do something a bit more relaxed.

The only things that's put me off about the Switch other than waiting for games I like is that it's just not quite as portable...and pulling that thing out of my bag to play in public seems a little, I dunno weird at my age (36). The 3DS is bad enough, but the size of the switch is a different matter..

The whole bus can hear me swearing me head off as I fight O&S for the tenth time.

PC version sounds nice, but I don't think I can ever play through this again. I had my fill. Over 2000 hours worth.

Chimpzy:

- Super Mario Odyssey free mp update.

while the DLC looks fun i wouldn't exactly call it "multiplayer" DLC since you're not actually playing with others.

Hawki:

Chimpzy:

They're releasing it for free? Awesome!

No, sadly, I just made a typo. Should've been Tropical Freeze. Ehm, oopsie? Would've been nice if it really was a freebie.

Yoshi178:
while the DLC looks fun i wouldn't exactly call it "multiplayer" DLC since you're not actually playing with others.

You're right, I misinterpreted that. Mea culpa.

Chimpzy:
No, sadly, I just made a typo. Should've been Tropical Freeze. Ehm, oopsie? Would've been nice if it really was a freebie.

Curses!

(And yes, this was me using a typo for a joke.)

Yoshi178:

inu-kun:
The Vita is much more comfortable.

Yeah...No.

Vita doesn't let me detach the controllers so i can set it up on a table meanwhile i do stuff for maximum comfort like this.

Being in a suit and shoes in the living room doesn't look very comfortable.

Also I could just use the laptop to do the same.

Good. Of all the last gen games getting remasters (because effort is for suckers) Dark Souls is probably the first one that genuinely needs an update. Firstly to remove the clunkiness of the game (in comparison to BB and DS3), and secondly because the original version, while well designed, was optimized by a retarded luddite. And the less said about the PC port, the better.

Not too long ago I was sitting there thinking about how I'd love to play Dark Souls on the PS4, being finally able to take nice screenshots and stuff and boom! I guess it goes to show how little I'm interested in new games these days when I get way more excited for remakes and remasters.

That being said I can't wait to hear stories about people's Switch pads and Joycons ending up through windows and out of trains when they get ganked by Biggie and Smalls, or Capa Bitch and his Doggo Squad!

And on the PS4, I wonder if the trophies for acquiring all spells and weapons are going to include the DLC, because man oh man I still have yet to cut Kalameet's tail...

Sean Hollyman:
Not too long ago I was sitting there thinking about how I'd love to play Dark Souls on the PS4, being finally able to take nice screenshots and stuff and boom! I guess it goes to show how little I'm interested in new games these days when I get way more excited for remakes and remasters.

That being said I can't wait to hear stories about people's Switch pads and Joycons ending up through windows and out of trains when they get ganked by Biggie and Smalls, or Capa Bitch and his Doggo Squad!

And on the PS4, I wonder if the trophies for acquiring all spells and weapons are going to include the DLC, because man oh man I still have yet to cut Kalameet's tail...

I never cut it either! Was actually a bit relieved Kalameet's tail weapon wasn't required for the Knight's Honor trophy. It would've like *cough* felt wrong anyways you know? Such a majestic, one of a kind creature...it wasn't enough to kill him we had to humiliate him too?!? Nah, keep your beautiful tail, sweet Kalameet. Keep, keep, keep.

If I didn't have other stuff to play yet, I could easily see picking this up again. A bit too soon though for me regardless, as it hasn't even been two years. I'm curious to see Blighttown though in full HD at a good framerate. It's one of my favorite locations in the series. Such a vast, yet cozy place.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)