Poll: Nintendo to make new Mario film with Despicable Me studio

Pages 1 2 NEXT

(Source)

Sooooooooo...whaddya all think? excited?

And for the poll that has just come into existence; what star rating do you foresee branding this future film with upon your destined zesty viewing?

*rubs temples*

I predict cringe humor, pop culture references, and... product placement.

I don't see it become a disaster like the Super Mario live-action movie was; but I doubt it will be the greatest videogame movie ever. I watched Minions and it was ok (at least the slapstick was fun).

Oh this is going to hurt...

Casual Shinji:

I'd actually love if Microsoft or Sony bought placements in a Mario movie.

Has illumination actually done anything good that wasn't Despicable Me (I might budge a little on Despicable Me 2)?

The studio behind Despicable Me and Minions?

TrulyBritish:
Has illumination actually done anything good that wasn't Despicable Me (I might budge a little on Despicable Me 2)?

Sing.

Admittedly, the only IL films I've seen are Secret Life of Pets and Sing. SLoP is basically Toy Story 2.0 (Toy Story 4?) - it's fine, it's competent, it's decently animated, but the characters don't have anywhere the same depth or memorability as the toys. Sing, however, I'd call "good." It's a film whose story has been done before, and we've all seen these kinds of characters before, but there's at least some actual character development and depth.

As for this Mario film...no idea. It strikes me as a better idea to animate Mario than have a live action movie, but I've no great hopes or fears for it.

This is going to be worse than the original movie. That one at least hit the sweet spot of so bad it's good; a new animated one will just be painful.

Hawki:

TrulyBritish:

Sing.

Admittedly, the only IL films I've seen are Secret Life of Pets and Sing. SLoP is basically Toy Story 2.0 (Toy Story 4?) - it's fine, it's competent, it's decently animated, but the characters don't have anywhere the same depth or memorability as the toys. Sing, however, I'd call "good." It's a film whose story has been done before, and we've all seen these kinds of characters before, but there's at least some actual character development and depth.

As for this Mario film...no idea. It strikes me as a better idea to animate Mario than have a live action movie, but I've no great hopes or fears for it.

Huh, haven't seen Sing. The trailer made it look like it was the worst tropes of "reality talent shows" just with animals instead.

TrulyBritish:

Huh, haven't seen Sing. The trailer made it look like it was the worst tropes of "reality talent shows" just with animals instead.

Sing is definitely trope heavy - you can easily guess where things are going pretty early on. Sing doesn't really do anything new, but it does do it competently. Every main character has an arc (even if you can see it coming from the outset), the songs are decent (if all real-world songs grafted onto the movie), and it does know when it has to be sombre and self-reflective with the characters, plus there's some decent humor.

So, no, definitely not original, but still done well IMO.

Nintendo is being weirdly liberal with their Mario IP as of late. Letting Ubisoft have a go at it, now this. But I wonder to what extent will Mario (Peach, Yoshi, Bowser - really everybody but Luigi) be allowed to have an actual personality, or how far will the plot deviate from Bowser kidnapping Peach. I guess it's either that or a Wreck-it-Ralph scenario of characters calling to question their traditional roles in life (doubt it though). Also $20 says the Toads will be the Minions of the movie.

Well on the bright side, eating strange mushrooms is about to get alot more popular...

I'll let you know once there's an actual trailer.

Still pretty bitter (not really) about seeing the Mario Bros movie in theatre when I was a kid.

That was a dumpster fire.

I have zero expectations that it will be a good movie especially with the Minions studio behind it.

I'm still waiting for Illumination Entertainment to make their first good movie. Who knows... perhaps this time they'll finally crack it.

Actually.. nevermind...

*choking noises*

Johnny Novgorod:
Nintendo is being weirdly liberal with their Mario IP as of late. Letting Ubisoft have a go at it, now this. But I wonder to what extent will Mario (Peach, Yoshi, Bowser - really everybody but Luigi) be allowed to have an actual personality, or how far will the plot deviate from Bowser kidnapping Peach. I guess it's either that or a Wreck-it-Ralph scenario of characters calling to question their traditional roles in life (doubt it though). Also $20 says the Toads will be the Minions of the movie.

Nah, I doubt it'll be the Toads, my betting is that it will be the Goombas or Koopa Troopers or a combination of both of Bowsers, ahem, minions that will be the comedy relief.

And am I the only one that liked the Mario Bros. movie? Ok, I've not seen it since I was a kid, but I didn't hate it. Maybe because I was a kid. But I can see an animated film working better than an actual live action film though.

Holy hell. There's nothing in Mario Bros. worthy of making a movie about. This is a cash grab, pure and simple. I'd love them to prove me wrong but I really don't possibly see how that could happen.

Catfood220:

And am I the only one that liked the Mario Bros. movie? Ok, I've not seen it since I was a kid, but I didn't hate it. Maybe because I was a kid. But I can see an animated film working better than an actual live action film though.

I've never got the hate for the original film either.

Granted, I saw it when I was a kid, and kinda enjoyed it - not really a classic or anything, but while I could recognise that it was Mario in name only, I still enjoyed it. Admittedly I've never been a big Mario fan, so brand loyalty isn't really an issue to me in this case. How well it holds up (or doesn't) is another matter, but, well, go figure.

But I figure if you are going to make a Mario film, animation would work better than live-action.

Casual Shinji:
*rubs temples*

Sadly. I guess Nintendo thinks Illumination Studios made more money with Minions than Disney/Pixar's stuff.

Than again I think Mario would be in the wrong hands with Diseny/Pixar because they would subvert the hell out of the story of Mario ala Frozen style.

Can't we just have a Mario movie that's like the First Paper Mario in terms of Story?

Arnoxthe1:
Holy hell. There's nothing in Mario Bros. worthy of making a movie about. This is a cash crab, pure and simple. I'd love them to prove me wrong but I really don't possibly see how that could happen.

A cash crab? I thought this was Mario, not spongebob

Samtemdo8:

Casual Shinji:
*rubs temples*

Sadly. I guess Nintendo thinks Illumination Studios made more money with Minions than Disney/Pixar's stuff.

Than again I think Mario would be in the wrong hands with Diseny/Pixar because they would subvert the hell out of the story of Mario ala Frozen style.

Can't we just have a Mario movie that's like the First Paper Mario in terms of Story?

Pixar didn't make Frozen. That was just Disney's regular animation studio.

Also I think Mario could work with Disney as opposed to Illumination which gave us crap such as Minions or The Lorax. Then again Disney nor Pixar are perfect either.

Could be worse.

I suppose.

They could've dug Video Brinquiedo out of mothballs...

Catfood220:

Johnny Novgorod:

Nah, I doubt it'll be the Toads, my betting is that it will be the Goombas or Koopa Troopers or a combination of both of Bowsers, ahem, minions that will be the comedy relief.

I suppose Goombas make more sense. Similar in shape and they got the mute slapstick going on for them already.
And by the way there *is* already an animated (Japanese!) Mario movie already.

Samtemdo8:

Casual Shinji:
*rubs temples*

They do because Illumination has admitted to be cheap. My guess is if it bombs it won't hurt Nintendos wallet too much.

Natemans:

Samtemdo8:

Casual Shinji:
*rubs temples*

Pixar didn't make Frozen. That was just Disney's regular animation studio.

Also I think Mario could work with Disney as opposed to Illumination which gave us crap such as Minions or The Lorax. Then again Disney nor Pixar are perfect either.

Wait, The Lorax!?

...I just thought something...

I'm sure it will be fun for kids, but I doubt I get anything out of it. I could be wrong and I hope to be, but I'll keep my expectations in check for the time being.

I cannot stand the Minions, and Sing looked to be one of the most unabashedly cliched films in a long while (in an industry steeped in cliche).

I would rather this not happen.

2 stars.

I suspect it will be a decent kids film. Kids.

I am however not a child anymore.

Catfood220:

No. I enjoyed the Mario Movie when I was a kid. I haven't seen it since then. Yeah it had next to no connection to the source material, but it was still fun to watch.

2HF:

Arnoxthe1:
Holy hell. There's nothing in Mario Bros. worthy of making a movie about. This is a cash crab, pure and simple. I'd love them to prove me wrong but I really don't possibly see how that could happen.

A cash crab? I thought this was Mario, not spongebob

Crap. Fixed. lol

oh look, Nintendo announces something and then escapist treats the announcement like its the end of the world.

same as usual on this site it seems.

Yoshi178:
oh look, Nintendo announces something and then escapist treats the announcement like its the end of the world.

1) The announcement was made ages ago.

2) People mostly have a problem with Illumination rather than Nintendo.

Also doesn't help that VG films don't have a good track record - the reaction would be the same regardless of who made it.

Hawki:

Yoshi178:

1) The announcement was made ages ago.

no it was rumoured ages ago. it was never officially announced until a couple of days ago

Hawki:

2) People mostly have a problem with Illumination rather than Nintendo.

Miyamoto is Co-producing the film and keeping a close eye on the project. if his Starfox Zero Anime and Pikmin Short films are anything to go by, the film will be fine.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here