2018 a barren Wasteland for single player fps games?

So I've just realized that besides Metro: Exodus, there's really no single player fps titles to look forward to this year, has something slipped my radar, or should I just give up hope now?

I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a COD and another Battlefield this year. I'm pretty sure Far Cry 5 is going to be released this year.

Now, whether any of these are actually good is another debate entirely, but there are FPS games coming out this year.

WE MAY be getting Serious Sam 4 this year, and if so, that's something incredibly huge to look forward to. There's also supposedly a leak from Microsoft saying a new Perfect Dark will be announced at E3. But I doubt we're gonna see that this year. Microsoft really screwed itself for exclusives and now they're paying the price for it.

Metro Exodus and System shock remake alone will own this year.

and maybe Doom 2 will also released in fall 2018 but it will get announced this year E3.

Given how long DOOM took, I think it's optimistic to expect a sequel two years later, as for system shock, I'd struggle to call that an fps in the conventional style. Can't say I've ever cared for serious sam's design either, but I guess it'd be neat to see a new one.

rium125:
Given how long DOOM took, I think it's optimistic to expect a sequel two years later, as for system shock, I'd struggle to call that an fps in the conventional style. Can't say I've ever cared for serious sam's design either, but I guess it'd be neat to see a new one.

It is FPS. but FPS/RPG hybrid.

Isn't there some weird Lovecraft/Bloodborne type horror FPS coming out?

Silentpony:

I think you are referring to Witchfire

PapaGreg096:

Silentpony:

Actually I was thinking about Scorn. Looks fun to me, in a Doom meets Amnesia and they had a kid whose way into Alien sorta way.

I think this year is lacking interesting games overall but maybe there'll be a couple of games announced at E3 that manages to sneak in this fall/winter.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
I think this year is lacking interesting games overall but maybe there'll be a couple of games announced at E3 that manages to sneak in this fall/winter.

but Metro exodus will alone own many other FPS of past year.

Silentpony:

PapaGreg096:

Silentpony:

Actually I was thinking about Scorn. Looks fun to me, in a Doom meets Amnesia and they had a kid whose way into Alien sorta way.

What about the actual Lovecraft game coming out?

Samtemdo8:
SNIP

Is that one an FPS? I thought it was more a Amnesia/Outlast sorta deal? More sneaky stealth detective work, rather than run gun action fun of say Dark Corners of the Earth.

B-Cell:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

but Metro exodus will alone own many other FPS of past year.

Maybe, I really hope they improve the sound design in Exodus.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

the weird thing is that there's plenty games I'm looking forward to this year, just annoyed that Metro is the only proper one-man fps among them.

Dalisclock:
I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a COD and another Battlefield this year. I'm pretty sure Far Cry 5 is going to be released this year.

Now, whether any of these are actually good is another debate entirely, but there are FPS games coming out this year.

Sounds like OP meant single player only, where mp doesn't even have a chance of stealing the show. Also, those games are all published by the worst of the worst as far as shady dealings.

Samtemdo8:

From what I can tell, it's not really an FPS, but a semi-open world rpg with some investigation and stealth elements. Makes sense, since it's supposedly based on the Call of Cthulhu pen & paper rpg, which has never been about action (Don't bring up Old Man Henderson. It's not a good example of what a CoC campaign is generally like).

As someone who's played the tabletop rpg a bit, I'm interested to see where they're taking this game.

There is also Dust and and Amid Evil to look forward too for your classic game type excitement.

Chimpzy:

Samtemdo8:

From what I can tell, it's not really an FPS, but a semi-open world rpg with some investigation and stealth elements. Makes sense, since it's supposedly based on the Call of Cthulhu pen & paper rpg, which has never been about action (Don't bring up Old Man Henderson. It's not a good example of what a CoC campaign is generally like).

As someone who's played the tabletop rpg a bit, I'm interested to see where they're taking this game.

OK who the fuck is Old Man Henderson?

Is this an inside joke? What does he have to do with Lovecraft? Is he a character in the stories? Is he a Great Old One?

we literally only just started february. there's almost a full 11 months left of the entire year for things to be announced and come out.

be patient FFS. there's still PLENTY of time for things to be announced and come out.

Samtemdo8:
OK who the fuck is Old Man Henderson?

Is this an inside joke? What does he have to do with Lovecraft? Is he a character in the stories? Is he a Great Old One?

Old Man Henderson is a character that was supposedly created to get back at a bad GM running, completely break his campaign of Call of Cthulhu (the pen & paper rpg) and 'win' the game (you're not supposed to ever be able to). You can read more about it here.

Worgen:
There is also Dust and and Amid Evil to look forward too for your classic game type excitement.

Call me picky, but I struggle to get into DOOM clone style games, all the endless arena clearing tires me out like nothing, I tend to prefer games in the post Half-Life mold.

Yoshi178:
we literally only just started february. there's almost a full 11 months left of the entire year for things to be announced and come out.

be patient FFS. there's still PLENTY of time for things to be announced and come out.

Well I like I said already, there's plenty games in just about every other genre I'm looking forward to this year, it's just single-player fps titles are almost completely absent, which I find disheartening, as a long time shooter fan.

Isn't every year always presented as the worst ever for videogames?

Johnny Novgorod:
Isn't every year always presented as the worst ever for videogames?

How many times I gotta say this? I don't think it's an overall bad year, just sad there's not more looky-shootys, chill.

Of course. You can't milk a single player game with randomly generated microtransactions, I'm looking at you Ubisoft, EA, Warner Brothers, and Activision. The AAA single player games died the second they realized how dumb their consumer base is.

And companies like Nintendo are sitting in the corner making actual, playable games, and they get made fun of for weak hardware.

Cold Shiny:
Of course. You can't milk a single player game with randomly generated microtransactions, I'm looking at you Ubisoft, EA, Warner Brothers, and Activision. The AAA single player game died the second they realized how dumb their consumer base is.

And companies like Nintendo are sitting in the corner making actual, playable games, and they get made fun of for weak hardware.

First, yes, you can, and publishers have. Less than a year ago Shadow of War was getting reamed for doing just that. Second, go and play some more BOTW if all you're gonna bring to the thread is the same dime-store cynicism I could get from watching Jimquisition.

rium125:

Cold Shiny:
Of course. You can't milk a single player game with randomly generated microtransactions, I'm looking at you Ubisoft, EA, Warner Brothers, and Activision. The AAA single player game died the second they realized how dumb their consumer base is.

First, yes, you can, and publishers have. Less than a year ago Shadow of War was getting reamed for doing just that. Second, go and play some more BOTW if all you're gonna bring to the thread is the same dime-store cynicism I could get from watching Jimquisition.

Yeah, I played nothing but single player games last year (no Nintendo games either) and none the games I played had microtransactions, it's really not that hard to accomplish honestly. It helps that I wasn't interested in any of the games with microtransactions to begin with (even if they didn't have them, I still wouldn't have been interested).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here