Kingdom Come: Deliverance releases this month!!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Let me tell you fellow gamers, I hope this is half as good as it looks and sounds. It's been so long I don't even remember what I pledged back during the beta, but am pleasantly surprised to see a release date, and really looking forward to the full game. It will be a great chance to break in my new rig too, since I may very well end up playing this before The Witcher 3 as I already paid for it.

*edit* Well, after looking for it on Steam I also saw that The Witcher 3 GOTY edition is only $20, so I got that too. Actually the whole Witcher franchise is 85% off right now if anyone still hasn't played them all.

I was going to wait for another GOG sale, but figured I got the original on disc, TW2 on GOG, so might as well try Steam to round things out.

This game looks too good to be true.

I'll believe it when I see its not a buggy/glitchy mess ala Mass Effect: Andromeda, No Man's Sky, Mafia 3, AC Unity, and Rome 2 at launch.

I hope not. I played the alpha build years ago on a PC below min spec without issue, but adding in all the quest stuff may be a different story.

hanselthecaretaker:
I hope not. I played the alpha build years ago on a PC below min spec without issue, but adding in all the quest stuff may be a different story.

If it ends up with the best possible outcome of being the perfect game ever....

Please give us an expansion in England set during the War of the Roses or the Hundred Years War!!!

Is this another one of those really frustrating pvp Chivalry games that are about as easy to get into as Fort Knox with a chastity ring?

Silentpony:
Is this another one of those really frustrating pvp Chivalry games that are about as easy to get into as Fort Knox with a chastity ring?

It's skyrim without fantasy.

I plan on stealing everything that is not nailed down. Then I plan on playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Yeah in all seriousness, I do plan on creating a mostly sneaky build on my first playthrough just to see what this game will do consequence-wise.

It's certainly a game that I've got my eye on. Love the realistic medieval art style and setting. Interested to see what the reviews look like. Also interested to see what the storyline is like and how it's implemented. I hope it's not too sandboxy like Skyrim. I like RPG's with a gripping main story, although those seem to be a dying breed.

It looks good. Too good.

As someone that tested the game years ago I can clearly see that it has come a looong way - I'll absolutely check it out. Hopefully it won't be a buggy, unoptimized mess.

I saw the Kickstarter for this back when it first came out, I'm glad it didn't fall apart. Hope it's good.

On one hand, I am amazed at how far this game has come and that it stands poised to deliver on its' promises.
On the other hand, this is a game with the budget only slightly higher than a large indie game and it promises to deliver the Gothic or Divinity experience in a Skyrim-style world with a tight storyline and a more complex fighting system then Mount & Blade. Which all seems to good to be true. I'll be really happy if they surprise me, but I've got a feeling that Kingdom Come will be more Mafia 3 then it will be Divinity 2: Original Sin.

Combat looks a bit clunky here and there, but the sheer detail and depth will hopefully make up for it.

There is already a Game of Thrones total conversion mod in the works as well. Nuts, but good nuts.

It looking forward to this. it looks really good. the fact that its first person game make it more immersive.

Looks pretty.

But someone should tell that scripted commentator that 'knobhead' is pronounced 'knob-edd.' Nobody puts emphasis on the 'h,' they'll see right through the disguise.

Xsjadoblayde:

Looks pretty.

But someone should tell that scripted commentator that 'knobhead' is pronounced 'knob-edd.' Nobody puts emphasis on the 'h,' they'll see right through the disguise.

Maybe they did back in the 15th century...?

B-Cell:
the fact that its first person game make it more immersive.

Then how come they are the games I tend to find the least immersive?

Ill be waiting on this game I think it could be a lot of fun but ive got way to many games to play atm so all except ones I really want are being put on the back burner. This one interests me but im not convinced from the little I have seen and hears so far that it is something I will find that engaging so I will see how it goes and maybe pick it up cheap a few months later unless new info or circumstance completely changes my mind one way or the other.

hanselthecaretaker:

Xsjadoblayde:

Looks pretty.

If this is the 15th Century than where are the guns?

I thought at that point during the Renissance, Pike and Shot Warfare was already established.

Samtemdo8:

hanselthecaretaker:

Xsjadoblayde:

Looks pretty.

I thought at that point during the Renissance, Pike and Shot Warfare was already established.

The game starts at the onset of the 15th century. Those tactics didn't really come into play until nearly the end of it from what I've read.

Samtemdo8:

The game is very "historically accurate until it's not". Sometimes that means gameplay concessions, sometimes that means truthiness.

Meiam:

Silentpony:

It's skyrim without fantasy.

If I can't get attacked by a pack of assassins hired by that empty house I took a book from, heal the damage by eating 43 potatoes, then stick a bucket on the shop keeps head to steal everything in the shop without getting detected, what's the point?

^Something that's always bugged me about The Witcher series too is the gluttonous health regen system when you're not near a bonfire. I'm playing 3 now and it looks like on harder difficulties (I chose Blood and Broken Bones) you can no longer recharge health at bonfires, so I guess I'm stuck with stuffing my face. The healing system should only be tied to rest and bandages, or maybe a spell here and there if you have the skills/resources. But spells for healing should always have a negative side effect like drowsiness or toxin to avoid making it too easy.

Eating should've been tied more to a complimentary hunger system that would enhance focus or energy. But also balance it so you could have negative effects from eating too much. It's just one odd thing to stock up on a dozen loaves of bread, apples, cheese, meat, etc. and then see your health magically go up from eating loads of it at a time.

It IS too good to be true- medieval no-magic RPG written by the writers of the original Mafia? Where could it possibly go wrong?

Forced first-person melee combat. That's where. Breaks my heart that they couldn't just put in a 3rd person mode so this could at least try to keep up with Mount and Blade Bannerlord...

Squilookle:
It IS too good to be true- medieval no-magic RPG written by the writers of the original Mafia? Where could it possibly go wrong?

Forced first-person melee combat. That's where. Breaks my heart that they couldn't just put in a 3rd person mode so this could at least try to keep up with Mount and Blade Bannerlord...

I'm sure it will have a third person mod similar to Crysis. This is on Cryengine 3 too.

Samtemdo8:

Eh... you're slightly off, by maybe close to a century. You might've mistaken 15th century for 1500's. Based on wikipedia, since I'm lazy to dig much further than that, the Arquebus was predominantly used as a defensive weapon for cities and fortifications. It wasn't until the late 1400's that they started shifting them more towards field use.

Another useful reference is to just look at the timeframe of Elizabeth I's reign, since her reign was right around when Pike and Shot would've been in fairly common use.

Also, minor correction, but hand cannons I guess were a little bit of a thing clear back to the late 1300's. Might be that they'll at least include those in small numbers, maybe in a similar way as how Mount and Blade had some early firearms.

Also, a(n) (unverified?) line from another article:

"In the aftermath of the Italian Wars, from the end of the 15th century to the late 16th century, most European armies adopted the use of the pike, often in conjunction with primitive firearms such as the arquebus and caliver to form large pike and shot formations."

Ender910:

Samtemdo8:

Eh... you're slightly off, by maybe close to a century. You might've mistaken 15th century for 1500's. Based on wikipedia, since I'm lazy to dig much further than that, the Arquebus was predominantly used as a defensive weapon for cities and fortifications. It wasn't until the late 1400's that they started shifting them more towards field use.

Another useful reference is to just look at the timeframe of Elizabeth I's reign, since her reign was right around when Pike and Shot would've been in fairly common use.

Also, minor correction, but hand cannons I guess were a little bit of a thing clear back to the late 1300's. Might be that they'll at least include those in small numbers, maybe in a similar way as how Mount and Blade had some early firearms.

Also, a(n) (unverified?) line from another article:

"In the aftermath of the Italian Wars, from the end of the 15th century to the late 16th century, most European armies adopted the use of the pike, often in conjunction with primitive firearms such as the arquebus and caliver to form large pike and shot formations."

I am aware that the 15 century refers to the years of 1400 and 16th is 1500.

And 15th Century was all about the Renissance and Renissance Warfare was all about Pike and Shot?

Squilookle:

As a mostly PC gamer, First Person Combat and Controls > Third Person Combat and Controls when it comes to playing on Mouse and Keyboard.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and Vermintide should be a good example for you to understand why.

B-Cell:
It looking forward to this. it looks really good. the fact that its first person game make it more immersive.

I don't know if it'll be your thing man. Saw quite a few women in those trailers...

*edit*
On topic, this thing really does look too good to be true. I'm keeping a close eye on it...

Valok:
It looks good. Too good.

As someone that tested the game years ago I can clearly see that it has come a looong way - I'll absolutely check it out. Hopefully it won't be a buggy, unoptimized mess.

How did it play when you tested it? Was the gameplay loop fun?

Squilookle:

It's a CryEngine game so you can expect a third person mod to be released in a matter of minutes.

ZombieProof:

B-Cell:

I don't know if it'll be your thing man. Saw quite a few women in those trailers...

*edit*
On topic, this thing really does look too good to be true. I'm keeping a close eye on it...

Ohhh not so fast...there's an achievement for staying a virgin! I shit you not.

hanselthecaretaker:

ZombieProof:

B-Cell:

*edit*

Ohhh not so fast...there?s an achievement for staying a virgin! I shit you not.

Thats frakin hilarious!!!

Samtemdo8:

Squilookle:

As a mostly PC gamer, First Person Combat and Controls > Third Person Combat and Controls when it comes to playing on Mouse and Keyboard.

You're not listening: First-person melee combat. There's a very good reason why games that offer both 1st and 3rd virtually always get played in third.

Adam Jensen:

Squilookle:

It's a CryEngine game so you can expect a third person mod to be released in a matter of minutes.

If that's true, I'll probably get it the moment I see footage of that working properly. No thanks to the game devs themselves though.

ZombieProof:

Valok:
It looks good. Too good.

How did it play when you tested it? Was the gameplay loop fun?

Weird, I was not notified that someone quoted me, sorry for the delay.

Truth be told, I wanted to like, what was there I thought to be fun (once 100% fixed) and it showed the potencial to be something witcherlevels-great, but the problem is that I couldn't really play to its fullest because the performance was.. somewhere between fucking awful and unplayable. 35 FPS with everything on low with the occasional drop to 15 when looking to the sides. (i7 3770k 4.3G, 970 OC'ed, 8GB etc etc).

I heard recently that they did manage to fix the performance with some claiming that now they can reach 100+ frames with PCs close to my setup - but - as I said at the start, everything is looking "too good" and maybe it's all indeed too good to be true. I'm honestly finding hard to believe that they managed to pull it from where they were to where it looks like they are now (the industry made me a jaded gamer).

Which is why I'll wait for reviews. I have upgraded some of my parts since that time (it's way more beefier right now) but I'm still not confident enough to make a leap of faith. With all that in mind, if you are also interested, I recommend you wait a bit.

Squilookle:

Samtemdo8:

Squilookle:

You're not listening: First-person melee combat. There's a very good reason why games that offer both 1st and 3rd virtually always get played in third.

Adam Jensen:

Squilookle:

If that's true, I'll probably get it the moment I see footage of that working properly. No thanks to the game devs themselves though.

I play Vermintide and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and found those games great in first person.

Samtemdo8:

Squilookle:

Samtemdo8:

Adam Jensen:

I play Vermintide and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and found those games great in first person.

I'm happy for you. Meanwhile everyone else under the sun prefers third.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here