Undertale's true pacifist is the best ending I've ever seen in a game

I thought about it for a while, and it has now surpassed my benchmark for great endings set by Chrono Trigger. Whereas the former was preceded by 40+ hours of a phenomenal story with great characters, it was still very standard: defeat the big bad, good things for everyone. Undertale on the other hand

I honestly have no bad words to say about this ending. This thread is just an excuse to gush about it. The ending stands head and shoulders above all others I've considered nearly perfect like The Last of Us, Chrono Trigger and To the Moon.

Now for genocide mode, and having my heart ripped out of my chest along with my guts.

After doing the genocide route, do the true pacifist one again to cleanse your palate.

altnameJag:
After doing the genocide route, do the true pacifist one again to cleanse your palate.

I never seen a Post-Pacifist Genocide Route ending.

If you want to rip out your heart, I suggest the musical.

Undertale is one of those things I wish I could experience for the first time again. The ending was amazing, the final boss and the reveal had me SUPER hyped. Hearing each letter of his name make that ominous sound was chilling. And the music... holy hell. So good. Actually had me teary eyed by the end

It actually is an amazing ending, isn't it? But then, so is the Genocide ending.

Samtemdo8:

It... doesn't end well.

Arnoxthe1:
It actually is an amazing ending, isn't it? But then, so is the Genocide ending.

Samtemdo8:

It... doesn't end well.

Do explain how because I searched everywhere at one point and never found a concrete answer as to what happens in a post pacifist-genocide run and I am well aware of the opposite outcome.

Samtemdo8:
Do explain how because I searched everywhere at one point and never found a concrete answer as to what happens in a post pacifist-genocide run and I am well aware of the opposite outcome.

Oh wait. At first I thought you were referring to a post-Genocide Pacifist run. Yeah, if you come back from a Pacifist run to do Genocide, Flowey just straight up calls you out for it, saying how horrible you are for doing a Geno run just to see what would happen. Otherwise, I think it'll end like any other Geno run.

Arnoxthe1:

Samtemdo8:

Oh wait. At first I thought you were referring to a post-Genocide Pacifist run. Yeah, if you come back from a Pacifist run to do Genocide, Flowey just straight up calls you out for it, saying how horrible you are for doing a Geno run just to see what would happen. Otherwise, I think it'll end like any other Geno run.

At the start of the game? Or later on during the runthrough?

Samtemdo8:

At the start of the game, although does it really matter?

I played Undertale at the end of last year, it was alright. It was funny, charming and all that. But it was simply alright, I don't get why this game got so much praise heaped upon it.

Arnoxthe1:

Samtemdo8:

At the start of the game, although does it really matter?

Lame, something like that should be a bit more impactful.

Samtemdo8:

The Genocide run is already insanely impactful as it is. I don't know what else there is for the game to say.

Arnoxthe1:

Samtemdo8:

The Genocide run is already insanely impactful as it is. I don't know what else there is for the game to say.

That characters like the Flower and the Skeleton man should have ackwoledged it more why you did this after you did the Pacifist run?

Samtemdo8:
why you did this after you did the Pacifist run?

The only logical answer to this question is that the player simply wanted to see what happened with the geno run.

Arnoxthe1:

Samtemdo8:
why you did this after you did the Pacifist run?

The only logical answer to this question is that the player simply wanted to see what happened with the geno run.

Regardless, the neutral ending is the best one.

Catfood220:
I played Undertale at the end of last year, it was alright. It was funny, charming and all that. But it was simply alright, I don't get why this game got so much praise heaped upon it.

It's a delight for players who like to explore everything in a game (specially dialog and meta-dialog).

It really is one of the most emotionally satisfying endings I've ever experienced in a game. Too bad playing genocide right after kind of ruins the mood.

bartholen:

Now for genocide mode, and having my heart ripped out of my chest along with my guts.

Is your heart ripped out of your chest yet? Its not that long a game from what I know.

And also,

I don't think Flowey regains control over save/load/reset after TP, because unless we do a True Reset, we just return to the last save point at completed area..

Link removed - mod

Samtemdo8:

bartholen:

Is your heart ripped out of your chest yet? Its not that long a game from what I know.

Okay, I'm at Sans, and Jesus butterfucking Christ. This is honest to god the hardest boss I've ever encountered in any video game ever. Perhaps the hardest I'll ever encounter. I just can't for the life of me get the patterns on his psychokinesis attack right. My reflexes always push the arrow keys in the direction Sans waves his hands instead of the opposite. I've spent the last 3 hours of playtime trying to get past this monster to no avail, and it seems I'm not even close to the end. Well, gotta keep that d e t e r m i n a t i o n. The game's already brilliant on so many meta levels, and it's reaching another one where the difficulty is actively putting me off the game.

bartholen:

Samtemdo8:

bartholen:

Okay, I'm at Sans, and Jesus butterfucking Christ. This is honest to god the hardest boss I've ever encountered in any video game ever. Perhaps the hardest I'll ever encounter. I just can't for the life of me get the patterns on his psychokinesis attack right. My reflexes always push the arrow keys in the direction Sans waves his hands instead of the opposite. I've spent the last 3 hours of playtime trying to get past this monster to no avail, and it seems I'm not even close to the end. Well, gotta keep that d e t e r m i n a t i o n. The game's already brilliant on so many meta levels, and it's reaching another one where the difficulty is actively putting me off the game.

If you haven't beat Sans yet:

bartholen:

Samtemdo8:

bartholen:

I think it took me 6 or 7 hours to beat him. On par with The Guy from I Wanna Be The Guy.

I really love the Sans fight, though. It breaks pretty much every rule about battles that the game had established up until that point. I can't think of any way to make a more imposing boss battle that for the boss to blatantly break the games own rules.

Catfood220:

It had that Earthbound/Mother Quirkyness that some of us would like to see in more games(especially since Earthbound was very much a niche game and a flop here in the states). Beyond that there's just the sheer subversion of JRPG tropes in general and how there was a lot more beyond the first playthrough. I know other games(Such as the Drakengard/Nier series) have also played with this as well but this one did a lot with it. It's not often you see a story where there's a massive amount of difference in sheer tone based on how you play(Pacifist is heartwarming, Genocide is fucking bleak as hell).

I've fought bosses whose difficulty I would call murderous, like Knight Artorias, Darkeater Midir or Slave Knight Gael. But Sans's difficulty is just full on...

genocidal.

Eh?

Eeeeeeh?

bartholen:
I've fought bosses whose difficulty I would call murderous, like Knight Artorias, Darkeater Midir or Slave Knight Gael. But Sans's difficulty is just full on...

genocidal.

Eh?

Eeeeeeh?

So did you win against Sans?

Samtemdo8:

bartholen:

genocidal.

Eh?

Eeeeeeh?

Not even close. I'm focusing more on the Mass Effect trilogy at the moment.

Dalisclock:

It had that Earthbound/Mother Quirkyness that some of us would like to see in more games(especially since Earthbound was very much a niche game and a flop here in the states). Beyond that there's just the sheer subversion of JRPG tropes in general and how there was a lot more beyond the first playthrough. I know other games(Such as the Drakengard/Nier series) have also played with this as well but this one did a lot with it. It's not often you see a story where there's a massive amount of difference in sheer tone based on how you play(Pacifist is heartwarming, Genocide is fucking bleak as hell).

I don't think it's necessary to confine Undertale to being just a subversion of JRPGs. It subverts RPGs in general on nearly every level. Mechanically, for example

bartholen:

Samtemdo8:

bartholen:

genocidal.

Eh?

Eeeeeeh?

Not even close. I'm focusing more on the Mass Effect trilogy at the moment.

Dalisclock:

I don't think it's necessary to confine Undertale to being just a subversion of JRPGs. It subverts RPGs in general on nearly every level. Mechanically, for example

Sigh, and I am still waiting for the day they release a Mass Effect Remastered Trilogy collection with all 3 games and their major DLCs in one disc, thus making save/progress transfers smoother, despite the whole ending still resulting more or less the same.

Elvis Starburst:
Undertale is one of those things I wish I could experience for the first time again. The ending was amazing, the final boss and the reveal had me SUPER hyped. Hearing each letter of his name make that ominous sound was chilling. And the music... holy hell. So good. Actually had me teary eyed by the end

I wish I could've experienced it for the first time.

Catfood220:

I keep bouncing off it. It's just taste I think. I've never, ever been affected by a computer game except for Mafia 2 which really upset me.

RaikuFA:

Elvis Starburst:

I wish I could've experienced it for the first time.

why can't you?

FUCK! Finally beat Sans and "played" to the end. Must have taken like 6 hours and attempts in the triple digits. This is genuinely the hardest boss I've ever fought. I guess there would be technically harder bosses that have made me quit entirely, like Hades on Chaos difficulty in God of War 3, or Gwyn in Dark Souls on a soul level 1 playthrough. But of those the former feels more cheap than anything, since it's essentially a one-shot fight for the player, and on the SL1 playthrough I was deliberately gimping myself, and the only viable tactic was parrying. But Sans felt entirely dependent on my skill, and as such I never went "fuck this", but continued again and again, not even turning the soundtrack off. I must have spent like 5 hours of my life listening to Megalovania on loop in that fight, and yet it never got boring.

Sadly, I'd gotten spoiled about the ending beforehand, so it wasn't nearly as effective as it should have been. Shouldn't have watched all those LPs of it... though I thought Chara appearing at the end was an easter egg instead of a central part of the ending.

And I picked "do not" at the end. It really is a fitting end to the genocide run, since even Sans says there's nothing for the player at the end. And it's literally nothing.

What a fantastic game.

bartholen:

What a fantastic game.

Eh....I am gonna be that guy, I am gonna be the cynical spoiled sport and say I find this game extremely overrated. And I don't care about the likes of Totalbiscuit and Jim Sterling discrediting the word, I still think it deserves it, I mean its exactly like I find the Mother/Earthbound games overrated aswell. I just don't think they deserve the obscene amount of praise they get. In terms of its genre I think Paper Mario 2 is still the king.

The reason the boss is hard is more down too cheap and bullshit game mechanics than anything truly related to skill.

But credit is where credit is due, the "TRUE" final boss of this game is pretty awesome and imo the game's true ending, so I hope you are ready for this beast:

I really enjoyed the game, even if the graphics did kind of turn me off from it.

Why is it every damn 'bit game' thinks the 8/16 era looks like shit?
It kind of irks me.

Tanis:
I really enjoyed the game, even if the graphics did kind of turn me off from it.

It kind of irks me.

Oh man you are speaking my language because I have opinionz on the state of sprite based indie games right now and how most of them look like crap compared to the actual older days of gaming,

Tanis:

It kind of irks me.

As someone who both really liked undertale and have a soft spot for the 16 bit graphics era(probably because I grew up during the days of the SNES), Undertales graphics look pretty awful at times and it's one of the few things I'd love to see upgraded if possible at a later date.

Yeah, people tend to forget that games like Chrono Trigger and FF6 actually had some really nice 16 bit graphics and that's what said retro games should be aspiring to on the graphics front.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here