Poll: Zoomed Hipfire vs ADS: Which do you prefer?

Pages PREV 1 2

TheFinish:

Saelune:
Ya know, when you're aiming down a sight, you're supposed to be looking a your target, particularly in that small area where your bullet will shoot at, so I dont really see why the gun blocking a large portion of your screen is really relevant. Im pretty sure if I was aiming a real gun so intently, much of my vision would also be obscured.

Not obscured, per se, but given that you have to focus on the sights to aim well, your peripheral vision is toast. And that's just with iron sights, with an actual scope, ho boy! Depending on the make and power, you might not even see your whole target, let alone anything around you.

hanselthecaretaker:
Snippy

Just FYI, the links you posted are broken. Apparently you can't hyperlink to that site.

Which post was it? I had to change the tweakguide to url because it wouldn't display img tags.

hanselthecaretaker:

TheFinish:

Saelune:
Ya know, when you're aiming down a sight, you're supposed to be looking a your target, particularly in that small area where your bullet will shoot at, so I dont really see why the gun blocking a large portion of your screen is really relevant. Im pretty sure if I was aiming a real gun so intently, much of my vision would also be obscured.

Not obscured, per se, but given that you have to focus on the sights to aim well, your peripheral vision is toast. And that's just with iron sights, with an actual scope, ho boy! Depending on the make and power, you might not even see your whole target, let alone anything around you.

hanselthecaretaker:
Snippy

Just FYI, the links you posted are broken. Apparently you can't hyperlink to that site.

Which post was it? I had to change the tweakguide to url because it wouldn?t display img tags.

That one, precisely, it says HOTLINKING BLOCKED when you try to access it.

If I were you I'd reupload them to imgur to post them. It's what I do and it's never let me down.

Hmm, odd. The url tags didn't do that for me. Anyways, fixed and thanks for the heads up.

Yeah I love imgur but the internet sure seems to be getting less convenient lately. I couldn't even find a decent comparison on "google images" without it returning a buttload of youtube thumbnails and other irrelevant share suggestions. Top it off with the nightmare that is being limited to mobile computing away from home, when every apostrophe gets changed to a ? on this site when editing a post and I'm ready to have a drink.

hanselthecaretaker:

Ezekiel:

But this pic proves my earlier point. Red dot sights are so common now because the devs KNOW how limiting ADS is. Iron sights are still more common, though.

I can see what's right ahead of me better over a dashboard. Also, your pic has a big sun protector or advertising plate on the top of the windshield, which isn't typical. Are dashboards typically that high when you're driving? I haven't driven for a long time.

Is that first pic even from a game? The terrain looks exquisite.

I don't believe so. But your opening post talked about simulation, so it seemed appropriate.

The second one doesn?t look very restricting, at least by contrast.

I don?t understand why having ADS effectively ruins shooters. Hip Fire shouldn?t have to change because of it

But it does ninety-five percent of the time. It would be nice if hip-fire was good in these games and ADS was more secondary, for targets at much greater distances, but that rarely happens. Whenever I watch developer videos, they use ADS constantly, no matter how close the enemies are. Perfect example right here:

COME ON, those bots are two feet away!

and it should just be there as an extra option for more distant targets (farther than hip fire accuracy range but closer than scope). The decrease in peripheral vision and movement speed are trade offs for better grouping and more precise aiming. You simply wouldn?t use it in a situation where you need the former more. It adds some depth to a genre that's already dead simple. The weapon doesn?t have to take up half the screen either.

DoF and FoV can also be adjusted as they should with any shooter, at least on PC. I?ve never had a problem using either view in Crysis depending on the enemy?s position. The only annoying part was there only being a toggle function between the two instead of just holding/releasing RMB.

As for the dash clutter I?m sure it depends on the car, but still there?s a lot more wasted space there from a gameplay perspective than any ADS shooter should need.

Well, I don't have a problem with driver views because there isn't an obstruction right in the middle of the picture, blocking me from seeing the road seconds ahead. Let's use one of most popular examples, Call of Duty 4.

I could have tracked that moving target better if I didn't have that big object and the muzzle flash smack in the middle.

^^ Yeah those developers are doing it wrong. All wrong.

*Trump voice* "Sad."

I grew up with the old shooters, and back then it felt just like a zoom in hip fire (ish?) assuming the gun even had that option.

I suppose it depends on the game, but I think suits most shooters better given their already unrealistic nature. Plus it cuts down on dev time and costs for fully modelled weapons.

And honestly if I play a bombastic shooter I want to feel like Al Pacino's Tony Montana while listening to some 80s synthpop garbage...

If it's an FPS, give me the sights. Even if it's a TPS, if the gun comes with a scope, have me aim through that when I'm trying to hit distant targets.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here