Should I buy NieR Automata?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

okay so healing chips & auto-collect should be what I first install? ok, that's cool.

Will reply more later this afternoon.

jademunky:
okay so healing chips & auto-collect should be what I first install? ok, that's cool.

Will reply more later this afternoon.

Well you do need to play a fair bit before Devola and Popola set up shop and make auto collect available, but yeah, don't miss your chance to buy it. And as both Eupho Guy and I have said, Shockwave is really useful as well, drastically increasing your attack range.

Arnoxthe1:

jademunky:
If there's anything out there more important than my ego I want it caught and shot right now.

I c wut u did thar.

I figured it had been enough time that people have forgotten the movie and I can throw out book references again.

jademunky:
I figured it had been enough time that people have forgotten the movie and I can throw out book references again.

My reference game is off the charts, boi.

Kotaro:
Just don't forget to buy a chip for automatic item pickup from Devola and Popola as soon as they move into the camp later on. It's incredibly convenient, and if you advance the plot beyond a certain point, you won't have another chance to get it from them until near the very end of the game.

But yeah, there's no real punishment for experimenting with your ability chips as long as you don't get overly-enthusiastic about fusing them and end up with ones way too big to equip.

Got the Deadly heal, auto-heal and evasion boost now. Gonna keep an eye out for that other stuff you mentioned.

Last thing (and more MINOR SPOILERS): If you have any sidequests you want to complete in the first chunk of the game, do them BEFORE going to the mission at the coast. Once you finish that bit, it's a point of no return for most of the sidequests.

Probable undiagnosed OCD FTW!

*Edit* Also, and I don't know why I even ask: Should I bother with the fishing mechanic? I mean, please dear god no, but if it really does yield results.........

jademunky:

Kotaro:
Just don't forget to buy a chip for automatic item pickup from Devola and Popola as soon as they move into the camp later on. It's incredibly convenient, and if you advance the plot beyond a certain point, you won't have another chance to get it from them until near the very end of the game.

But yeah, there's no real punishment for experimenting with your ability chips as long as you don't get overly-enthusiastic about fusing them and end up with ones way too big to equip.

Got the Deadly heal, auto-heal and evasion boost now. Gonna keep an eye out for that other stuff you mentioned.

Last thing (and more MINOR SPOILERS): If you have any sidequests you want to complete in the first chunk of the game, do them BEFORE going to the mission at the coast. Once you finish that bit, it's a point of no return for most of the sidequests.

Probable undiagnosed OCD FTW!

*Edit* Also, and I don't know why I even ask: Should I bother with the fishing mechanic? I mean, please dear god no, but if it really does yield results.........

Fish can be sold to shops for some extra cash, but that's really about it as far as I could tell. There was a lot more depth to the fishing in the first Nier, and it seems like just the bare minimum of it was kept in Automata for the sake of having it. So if you ever need a little bit more money, it's worth spending a few minutes fishing, but otherwise you can completely ignore it.

Unrelated, and you're probably already aware of this since it's one of the things about this game that everyone was talking about when it first came out, but FURTHER SPOILERS BELOW (though kept as minimal as possible to explain this):
You need to do New Game+ at least twice to unlock the true final chapter of the game (the second playthrough is the same game with some changed scenes and some new ones for a reason you'll find out when you get to it, and the third playthrough is a continuation of the plot from there). And then get both possible endings in the third playthrough--determined by which character you choose for the true final battle, though 9S also needs to say no when offered a deal in his final cutscene in order for it to count--to get one last minigame and the absolute final scene of the game after the credits.

Deadly heal is extremely useful especially the highest level that gives you 30% of your health back per kill. Standard attack and defense chips were also pretty helpful I found. In my opinion stacking those was more helpful then shockwave on the first play through because you wanna get upclose and personal. Later on you can get chips that increase your dodge range and can even slow down time if you execute a perfect dodge (this is hella useful on hard mode). Doing the side quests is very useful as they can give you special abilities for your pods. Some of which are super good. Someone mentioned above about a place (flooded city that cancels all uncompleted sidequests ( I wish I knew that going in) if you fish at that location you can get a surprise!
I thought the game was very fun to play and the story really engaging. you definitely need to play it the three times to get the real ending. Even though the first replay is the same as the first in terms of events the game switches up some gameplay mechanics among other things to keep it fresh.

side note: one side quest is a series of races and it's infuriating. It was the only quest I didn't finish in the game despite trying 30+ times. Hopefully you have better luck!

Edit* if you fish in the sewers you can get a pretty poor weapon but if you want the full armory I think that's the only way to get it

reignsupreme:
Someone mentioned above about a place (flooded city that cancels all uncompleted sidequests ( I wish I knew that going in) if you fish at that location you can get a surprise!

side note: one side quest is a series of races and it's infuriating. It was the only quest I didn't finish in the game despite trying 30+ times. Hopefully you have better luck!

Edit* if you fish in the sewers you can get a pretty poor weapon but if you want the full armory I think that's the only way to get it

I completely forgot about fishing in the Flooded City to get that item. Thanks for bringing it up. On a similar note, be sure to comb the desert until you find a thing buried in the sand. Both of these items are very useful in certain situations.
The races are frustrating at first, but if you equip some high-level movement speed up and dash boost chips, they become very doable. At that point it's all about finding the optimal route.
I actually didn't know about fishing in the sewers. Huh. I wouldn't have thought to try that.

I did, only because I thought it would be the kind of game that would hide something in a weird location like that. It's not a good weapon, so unless you're going for 100% completion I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is a nice call back, though.

Also with the thing in the desert, if your hearing isn't as messed up as mine is, it will emit a continuous high frequency ping when you are near it. The first time I knew about it was in a recorded video for an LP. I never heard it in game.

Well anyway, due to work and beer friends watching hockey on TV and beer i've only been able to frnshinish about 3.5 hours of gameplay thus far. So far I have gleaned that:

Also I spent 10K of in-game currency on a stupid-buster-sword-thing that I really wish I had not bought.

jademunky:
I am the bad guy.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but I won't spoil the plot for you. You'll see. But it does continue to be depressing and horrifying throughout the whole game, because it's Nier, that's what it does.

To be fair, its more that its Yoko Taro in general, rather than just Nier. I mean, the first game he directed, Drakengard 1 was awful people doing awful things from beginning to end, so Automata's moral ambiguity is something of a positive step. :P

The Eupho Guy:
To be fair, its more that its Yoko Taro in general, rather than just Nier. I mean, the first game he directed, Drakengard 1 was awful people doing awful things from beginning to end, so Automata's moral ambiguity is something of a positive step. :P

Apparently in Draknegard, the first ending is kinda sorta happy while each ending after that gets more and more bleak, with each ending requiring more effort and completion to unlock. The final ending apparently requires 100% completion and leads to the apocalypse in Neir. And it's also pretty wierd.

Dalisclock:

The Eupho Guy:

Apparently in Draknegard, the first ending is kinda sorta happy while each ending after that gets more and more bleak, with each ending requiring more effort and completion to unlock. The final ending apparently requires 100% completion and leads to the apocalypse in Neir. And it's also pretty wierd.

The first ending is certainly the least bad. It's still pretty weird (The final boss of the first loop is a 50 foot little girl that occasionally sounds like a 40 year old chain smoking man... yeah...) but at least most of the cast survives. Things get less ok after that.

The Eupho Guy:

Yeah I only finished Drakengard once,

I never had a chance to play Drakengard because it's gotten kind of rare and expensive. Though both Nier games have as their "final-final" endings the sort of "ray of hope" endings (things went bad, but it's not over and there's a chance of it getting better later) that I really dig for whatever reason, Automata especially.

jademunky:

Kotaro:
I never had a chance to play Drakengard because it's gotten kind of rare and expensive. Though both Nier games have as their "final-final" endings the sort of "ray of hope" endings (things went bad, but it's not over and there's a chance of it getting better later) that I really dig for whatever reason, Automata especially.

I didn't play it, I watched a LP. Honestly, the combat looked pretty tedius and not particuulary fun and that's pretty much what the game is, just a bunch of grindy combat. The fact it's so dark with your characters(one of them is a child molester, which was heavily edited out of the US version but is pretty clear in the original Japanese, apparently) being total shits is why anyone remembers it.

And I've never heard anyone say that you should play it for the gameplay.

jademunky:

The Eupho Guy:

Yeah I only finished Drakengard once,

SO what I've been able suss out is that the giant Fetuses are supposed to be Angels coming to wipe out mankind because God is pissed or something to that effect. However, it's as clear as mud because Drakengard apparently(again, from what I've been able to dig up on the net) Drakengards wierd dark fantasy universe with giant seals holding back the apocolypse, demon babies, goddesses in human form and dragons was very similar to ours until about 900 AD when some unexplained catastrophic event occured and then history changes to became that.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.

The Eupho Guy:

jademunky:

Yeah, I googled that exact video the other day. "Giant fetus monster" was all I needed to hear.

Also, I had to uninstall FAR. It was, for some reason, causing the Total Warhammer games (both of them) to crash on launch.

jademunky:
Also, I had to uninstall FAR. It was, for some reason, causing the Total Warhammer games (both of them) to crash on launch.

That's... really weird. Can't imagine how it would cause that.

Kotaro:

jademunky:

That's... really weird. Can't imagine how it would cause that.

No idea, both games (and seemingly only those games) would crash when launched. After uninstalling the "injector" it all runs just fine. (*EDIT* except for the fugging aforementioned windowed-mode-problem again)

I am also getting a little bit of side-quest fatigue. Should I bother? (story payoff-wise?)

jademunky:

I am also getting a little bit of side-quest fatigue. Should I bother? (story payoff-wise?)

There are some quests with relatively important story information (mainly world building). However, when you complete the game for the third time you unlock a useful chapter select that lets you go back and complete any unfinished business so don't worry too much about point of no return and feeling the need to do everything before progressing.

ChupathingyX:

jademunky:

There are some quests with relatively important story information (mainly world building). However, when you complete the game for the third time you unlock a useful chapter select that lets you go back and complete any unfinished business so don't worry too much about point of no return and feeling the need to do everything before progressing.

Then I should probably just focus on the main quest since I seem to be in danger of falling into the open-world-side-quest-rabbit-hole and usually lose interest eventually when that happens.

jademunky:

ChupathingyX:

jademunky:

Then I should probably just focus on the main quest since I seem to be in danger of falling into the open-world-side-quest-rabbit-hole and usually lose interest eventually when that happens.

That sounds like a good idea. I had that happen to me last week with Yakuza 0 trying to complete Majima's business sidequest. Got about half way through before starting to get bored of the game. I finally got around to finishing it off last night after burning through a couple chapters of the story.

jademunky:

ChupathingyX:

jademunky:

The only side quest I recommend doing is one called Amnesia in route B, which gives a relevation that happens later on more of an impact. Other than that you really can skip a lot of the side missions or save them for later since they mostly just serve as world building.

Okay, so to update:

I have finished both the A and

The A ending

Onto B: So far

Also, whomever suggested the Auto-collect, dear-god-yes. That could not come fast enough.

Well, I just finished C Ending and, um wow.

Also those other redheaded twins

Having juuust finished it, yeah, it was pretty good.

Not quite the masterpiece some people say it is...But it's competent enough to be enjoyable, and it does enough weird and even unique things that it's one of those game you just HAVE to experience because of how transformative and unique it is.

aegix drakan:
Having juuust finished it, yeah, it was pretty good.

Not quite the masterpiece some people say it is...But it's competent enough to be enjoyable, and it does enough weird and even unique things that it's one of those game you just HAVE to experience because of how transformative and unique it is.

It really is. Nier is one of those stories that can only be told with video games and genuinely makes me feel pity for those who do not play them. While I did not openly cry at any point, I did weep on the inside when it was revealed

So did you

I feel bad about my decision, like way more guilty than I should after playing a video game.

Dalisclock:

And I've never heard anyone say that you should play it for the gameplay.

Gameplaywise Drakengard was absolute drek. Just a far shittier combination of Kingdom-under-fire and Drakan.

jademunky:

So did you

aegix drakan:

jademunky:

So did you

Mine too, but it's funny because I failed that same test.

JUMBO PALACE:

But we all know that's bull shit and Yoko Taro just likes up-skirts. Pro-tip, climb the radio tower for primo viewing angles.

Bah, just self destruct. For 2B at least it blasts you down to ~15% HP and blows her skirt off. If you're trying to look at her ass, no-skirt is presumably better than up-skirt.

jademunky:
Funny you mention. The store page has DLC that charges 20 bucks just for skimpier outfits. The commenters are enraged, not by the cash grab, but by the fact that you still have to play to unlock them.

That's the arenas, right? 2B's outfit from those is called the revealing outfit, and it's literally Kaine's outfit from Nier. It shows less than just hitting self-destruct.

Just don't self destruct at the bunker, unless you are after a joke ending.

Kotaro:
To be fair, Nier Automata is actually pretty easy in general with the right setup of ability chips. I didn't die once the entire game.

I died a couple of times before I got auto-heal and shockwave chips. I still need to get more optimal versions of my chips though.

Kotaro:
(MINOR SPOILERS) there's a second weapon merchant in a secret room in the castle in the forest area who can upgrade your weapons to the maximum level of 4, as opposed to the regular one who can only go up to level 3. Level 4 weapons get extra abilities (like increased attack power when at maximum health, or automatically charging up power when not attacking), so they're worth gunning for.

I actually need to run back to him next time I play -- I've got the mats for one of my weapons to hit level 4, finally. Only one, but that's better than none. If I remember what I read, he also gives you a new weapon the first time you max one out, doesn't he?

Part of me want to max out Iron Pipe and Cypress Stick to see if they're secretly really good and the shitty level 1 isn't just to trick you out of upgrading them. Especially the stick, being a Dragon Quest reference and all.

Kotaro:

I literally stopped at boarding the aerial units to launch from the Flooded City coast because I'd heard this. Up to 50% sidequest completion. I think the only ones I've found but not finished are the arenas and the race.

jademunky:

At the very least, fish in the sewers leading up to the Amusement Park and off the coast at Flooded City until you get something...obviously unique at each. Not going to spoil it, but it's not fish, robo fish or sellable junk at either location. The sewer one is kinda crappy but the flooded city one is awesome.

Though to be fair, the junk from fishing is a pretty quick way to make money.

Kotaro:
On a similar note, be sure to comb the desert until you find a thing buried in the sand. Both of these items are very useful in certain situations.

Ooh, I didn't know about this -- is it near any of the landmarks?

Also, the Dragon Quest reference Cypress Stick is near the castle, you know those big arches you go past on the way there (where the routes going to the rest of forest zone, to pascal's village, and to the castle intersect)? It's in a chest on top of one of the arches -- happy platforming!

Dalisclock:

I always took the lesson in Drakengard to be LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE.

jademunky:
*snip*

aegix drakan:
*snip*

To quote a TV series that was underrated in it's first 2 seasons, and rushed to conclusion in it's third, "It's not a sacrifice if it doesn't HURT."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here