Best strategy game on a console?

personally my pick will have to be Valkyria chronicles

Do you mean strategy as in RTS? if so i'm personally a huge hater of anything RTS on consoles.
The different platforms have different kinds of games in my oppinion.

Most things that somewhat resembles a platformer/actionadventure stuff (mario, zelda, god of war etc.) is highly preferable on comsole.

Fighting games (tekken, SF) Requires a console IMO, and should not be played on PC.

Driving games: i prefer them on consoles, but they're doable on PC.

FPS: I really prefer a mouse for this, and the wii mote to some extend. I know ´many will disagree with me on this one, but i HATE analog sticks for fps, at least twitch FPS.

RTS: you soooo don't have the massive amount of buttons or movability of the mouse to ploay this on a console without ending up with an "RTS-experience" that feels no better than the civilization stage of spore

Got a little carried away on the subject, but this is what i think of platforms and genres

Red Alert, im not sure if it is also on the PC, but the one that i had was on Playstation, and it was the only one of played so, its currently my favourite.

Are there different variations of RTS games? I see red alert mentioned which I played a little a long time back and I always think of CIV I-IV when I think of RTS. Am I confusing my terms here?

He thinks strategy in general, and you pushed my Valkyria Chronicles alarm button (good thing)

VALKYRIA! CHRONICLES! (X20)

There we go, guess were my vote goes.

ntomlin63:
Are there different variations of RTS games? I see red alert mentioned which I played a little a long time back and I always think of CIV I-IV when I think of RTS. Am I confusing my terms here?

CIV is Turn Base Strategy=TBS Red Alert series is Real Time Strategy=RTS

The diference is in one the action develops in turns like chess, and in the other in real time like...real War...

C&C3: Tiberium Wars takes the cake for me. I'm not sure if Kane's Wrath has the same control scheme as Tiberium Wars, if it does then that. The Red Alert control scheme just annoyed me. Civ Rev is a close second.

I'd have to be split between Advance Wars on Gameboy, and Gladius, the little known gladiatorial turn based strategy on Xbox.

If you like Strategy games at all, I think it only came out for XB and Gamecube, but I had a lot of enjoyment out of it, you build a 'school' of gladiatiors and wander Rome building your fame and fortune.

oliveira8:

ntomlin63:

The diference is in one the action develops in turns like chess, and in the other in real time like...real War...

Oh ok, I was confused. I like some of the strategy games but I swear it seems like all of them the AI cheats with the computer build-up stuff

ntomlin63:

oliveira8:

ntomlin63:

Oh ok, I was confused. I like some of the strategy games but I swear it seems like all of them the AI cheats with the computer build-up stuff

Thats not your eyes playing pranks on you. The AI cheats in strategy games...all the time.

Chessmaster Live on the 360?

dragon_of_red:
Red Alert, im not sure if it is also on the PC, but the one that i had was on Playstation, and it was the only one of played so, its currently my favourite.

Yeah I remember it was my first real experience of RTS, good times linking up 2 playstations and playing vs mode.

teisjm:

Well, that's really more dependant to the input interface than the platform, don't you think?

I mean, many XBox 360 games that are released on the PC have controller support out of the box. You just plug a wired XBox 360 controller to a USB port (or sync a wireless one if you have the adapter) and the experience is pretty much identical, and sometimes better (Gears of War).

Red Alert 3 has just been released for PS3, and if it had Mouse/Keyboard support, it would be the best version of the game.

I commend developers for trying to come up with efficient ways to control their games in non-native environments, but I don't get why they would limit your options to JUST that.

Disgaea or Pikmin games

The best RTS on a console? Herzog Zwei (if you know this game without youtube you're awesome)
The best TBS on a console? Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgea 1-3

oliveira8:

ntomlin63:

oliveira8:

ntomlin63:

Thats not your eyes playing pranks on you. The AI cheats in strategy games...all the time.

The AI cheats in ALL games, all the time.

Cocamaster:

teisjm:

Well, that's really more dependant to the input interface than the platform, don't you think?

I mean, many XBox 360 games that are released on the PC have controller support out of the box. You just plug a wired XBox 360 controller to a USB port (or sync a wireless one if you have the adapter) and the experience is pretty much identical, and sometimes better (Gears of War).

Red Alert 3 has just been released for PS3, and if it had Mouse/Keyboard support, it would be the best version of the game.

I commend developers for trying to come up with efficient ways to control their games in non-native environments, but I don't get why they would limit your options to JUST that.

Well didn't take that into account. My appologies

Also how would RA3 be better on PS3 than PC? does the PS3 version have special features or something? A PC can also have full HD resolutions, and all the graphical stuff if that's what you're talking about.

What was that newish RTS game thta I watched the demo movie in gamestop a while back one of those for Vista exclusivly games. It looked really sweet but I don't have Vista and thus don't play it.

teisjm:

Cocamaster:

teisjm:

Also how would RA3 be better on PS3 than PC? does the PS3 version have special features or something? A PC can also have full HD resolutions, and all the graphical stuff if that's what you're talking about.

In a nutshell? It's the PC version with all the Updates/Bug Fixes built in, plus some of it's own. It claims in the box to have exclusive content, but it really doesn't.

So it's "better", (note the quotes) but not by much. Not worth giving up M/KB support.

EDIT: ...and why are you apologizing? You didn't do anything wrong.

RTS - Red Alert 3
TBS - I'm not sure if it counts, because of interception fire and all that, but Valkyria Chronicles. If it doesn't count, then Fire Emblem.

Cocamaster:

teisjm:

Cocamaster:

teisjm:

In a nutshell? It's the PC version with all the Updates/Bug Fixes built in, plus some of it's own. It claims in the box to have exclusive content, but it really doesn't.

So it's "better", (note the quotes) but not by much. Not worth giving up M/KB support.

EDIT: ...and why are you apologizing? You didn't do anything wrong.

Not planning on getting the PS3 version anyways seeing as i'm a wii owner, an deven if it was released i doubtr RTS would work well on the wii either. WII-mote-wank to select ur infantry, spin the nunchuck for choppers, get a big ass erection to trigger the soon to come wii dick-band - now even more motion controll.

Apology was for forgetting a quite important part, seeing as my whole post is somewhat rendered obselete when you take into account that you can use M/KB on consoles and gamepads for PC. aslo, i tend to use the word too much, RL as well.

shining force..genesis.

/thread

Starcraft 64 for the N64 personally its the only console rts that i didn't hate.

Halo Wars would be the best console based RTS I've seen since it's been simplified to compensate for the fact that a regular Xbox control doesn't have over 30 buttons for every action or command under the sun.

The best console based TBS I've seen has to be Advance Wars on the GBA (I'm counting handhelds as a console), it was just fun to play (especially multiplayer, was in fact quite awesome).

civ rev gets my vote ive replayed it about a hundred times and im still learning new tricks. its a tbs.. theres nothing like attacking on three different fronts losing on all three and trying frantically to scramble some defence when you know youve only got about 2 turns to make a rock solid defence on three different fronts!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked