FarCry 5 is getting fairly postive reviews

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Elijin:
I really wish Farcry games would stop trying to sell us on the idea that we're the everyman, the rookie, the hapless traveller, being thrown into these situations.

It's such a huge disconnect when the game portrays the player character as out of their depth and on the run, only to shift to player control where we proceed to murder everyone and everything without hesitation or problem.

It is, but it's still proper if you view it from a cinematic lens.

Me, I looked at FC 3 and 5 like a more gun heavy version of this...

Smithnikov:

Elijin:
I really wish Farcry games would stop trying to sell us on the idea that we're the everyman, the rookie, the hapless traveller, being thrown into these situations.

It's such a huge disconnect when the game portrays the player character as out of their depth and on the run, only to shift to player control where we proceed to murder everyone and everything without hesitation or problem.

It is, but it's still proper if you view it from a cinematic lens.

Me, I looked at FC 3 and 5 like a more gun heavy version of this...

I will say for Far Cry 5, you're at least a cop (with some level of training) vs a bunch of drugged up random people.

3 and 4 are a bit more off with the random teenager vs army of trained professional mercenaries stuff.

I really liked Far Cry 3. I thought the journey of the player character and his plight was a fun baseline to experience the wildness of the game overall. I skipped 4 and Primal as I was suffering open world fatigue at the time.

But the setting and ideas behind Far Cry 5 got my interest and I decided to buy into the game.

What a disappointment. Right out of the gate I knew I was in trouble when I was able to create a male or female character, and as I suspected the player character has no character. It's an avatar and nothing more. There is no dialog, no characterization, no personal journey or story, you are merely a thing going through the motions of the world around you trying to save the day like a mindless, soulless super hero.

Gameplay wise, Far Cry 5 is fine. Fun even. Blowing up cultists, driving different vehicles, uncovering bunker puzzles, etc, it all works and it's all fine.

But the lack of any personal motivation just ruins the game for me. I fine myself not giving a shit about anything. I don't care about the numb NPC's around, and simply do as they ask to move the boss meter forward until I can fight the boss and move on. And that's the biggest bummer about the game.

Ultimately, Far Cry 5 is fun enough, but without player agency you'll most likely find yourself giving up well before the end because there is a lack of driving force pushing you forward.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here