God of War Review Thread

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hello my friends,

So, it's probably not too surprising but the game is being pretty well-received.

I liked this one for example, which touches on one of the biggest issues people had about Kratos being a one-note/lost cause/asshole character.

Only one week left to see for ourselves.

Let me guess. The reviews all overwhelmingly focus on the story.

It already got more 10's that GOW3.

hanselthecaretaker:

I liked this one for example, which touches on one of the biggest issues people had about Kratos being a one-note/lost cause/asshole character.

Review:
It almost makes you wonder why this is a 'God of War' game at all

I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes a problem with the fans.

Review:
Kratos is nearly unrecognizable, with an actual personality and an impressively bushy beard

Err... he already had a personality (a one-dimensional ultra-violent personality in the last two games in the main series, but a perfectly identifiable one).

Anyways, I'm interested in seeing the contrast by myself. Probably I'll buy it eventually.

Ezekiel:

Well, that was a big part of the change, but they also praise the combat and other technical features. Out of all the games released so far on PS4, apparently this one is the first (removed gamerevolution link due to spam) to show what it can really do.

Of course, these are all still mere opinions influenced by some degree of hype, but par for the course with every AAA game.

Ezekiel:

$10 on no more than 1 or 2 paragraphs dedicated to the story in each review (except Polygon).

I never played this series. Is it any good? I played Dante's Inferno, and desperately want a remake of it, and it was damn fun and loved the visuals. But the gameplay is very repetitive and gets boring in the end.

Silentpony:
I never played this series. Is it any good? I played Dante's Inferno, and desperately want a remake of it, and it was damn fun and loved the visuals. But the gameplay is very repetitive and gets boring in the end.

Play each game in release order. Trust me.

Silentpony:

It's an old school hack n slash with puzzle and platforming elements, but now the focus is more on combat, story, and exploration. DI was a GoW clone, but they shook things up with this reboot so that combat feels more Souls-ish while trying to keep some of the hack and slash roots.

Silentpony:

Good enough to change the mainstream gaming trend back then into GoW clones and hack-n-slash in general. The first one is still mechanically very good.

After watching Skill Up's review, I am almost certainly now going to give God of War a chance when it was a game I totally wrote off because of God of War 2/3 being shit and not being very confident in Santa Monica being good at anything outside of graphics and technical aspects. Not that I'm a huge fan of Skill Up as his reviews don't usually mesh with my preferences but I'm willing to try just about anything when someone is very genuine and passionate about it. He even mentioned that DMC and Bayonetta are button mashers in the aforementioned God of War review when that literally couldn't be farther from the truth; Bayo's core dodge offset mechanic completely contradicts button mashing. Anyway, I hope story-wise the game is not at all connected to the last 2 games or that it is a straight-up reboot where you can disregard literally everything about the previous games.

Ezekiel:

Well, God of War has never been a series that was carried by its gameplay, it's basically baby's first hack and slash. It would be really hard to for this new combat system be any more basic and simplistic than the previous games, it really can only have better gameplay. Why don't you ever do just a little research on something instead of constantly making ignorant statements and assumptions?

Ezekiel:

Gee, imagine that, evaluating a story-driven game based on the quality of its story. 0_0

Phoenixmgs:
After watching Skill Up's review, I am almost certainly now going to give God of War a chance when it was a game I totally wrote off because of God of War 2/3 being shit and not being very confident in Santa Monica being good at anything outside of graphics and technical aspects. Not that I'm a huge fan of Skill Up as his reviews don't usually mesh with my preferences but I'm willing to try just about anything when someone is very genuine and passionate about it.

I had my doubts about God of War 4, but after seeing footage around late March, I got more invested. I never cared nor liked Kratos, but I am willing give him another chance since he finally learned something. Asura will always be the best video game daddy compared to Kratos or most other fathers in games.

Phoenixmgs:
He even mentioned that DMC and Bayonetta are button mashers in the aforementioned God of War review when that literally couldn't be farther from the truth; Bayo's core dodge offset mechanic completely contradicts button mashing. Anyway, I hope story-wise the game is not at all connected to the last 2 games or that it is a straight-up reboot where you can disregard literally everything about the previous games.

I don't know much about SkillUp, but I can already tell he is full of shit when it comes to games like DMC and Bayonetta. He must have been playing on Easy mode, DMC2, or the vanilla edition of DmC (2013). Now Bayonetta 2 kinda encourages button mashing a little; if you have the chainsaws, but even on the highest difficult, you have to know what you're doing. DMC3&4 will kill you on the default difficulty, if you even think about mindlessly button mashing.

I really do love the series.
Even the PSP games have some great fun to be had.

I hope this is a good game it it manages to get the PSP/PS3/PS2 games some kind of proper remaster.

Hawki:

Ezekiel:

Gee, imagine that, evaluating a story-driven game based on the quality of its story. 0_0

When I write a review (I rarely do) I try to be in depth about the gameplay. Gameplay and setting are paramount almost every time. I never cared that much about the story in the God of War games and I certainly won't pick this up because it's said to have a good story. The story is now just more in the way, with more scripted walk and talk bullshit and a cinematic over the shoulder camera ill-suited to action games. I like The Last of Us, but I don't want God of War to be that. I know God of War wasn't the best action game with the best mechanics, but I liked it for what it was, this epic, brutal adventure that you actually played. People like PhoenixMGS with ridiculous comments like "baby's first hack and slash" would never understand that. I don't know why he keeps talking to me. The classic God of Wars are more interesting to me than some monotonous, dull, cheesy, boring sounding hack and slash like Bayonetta. They're more well rounded packages. I'd rather the devs improve the things that need to be improved instead of turning it into something that it's not. We already lost Tomb Raider to greed.

Ezekiel:
When I write a review (I rarely do) I try to be in depth about the gameplay. Gameplay and setting are paramount almost every time.

That's your prerogative.

I never cared that much about the story in the God of War games and I certainly won't pick this up because it's said to have a good story. The story is now just more in the way, with more scripted walk and talk bullshit and a cinematic over the shoulder camera ill-suited to action games.

So...more reason for me to get it then?

Whatever floats your boat.

CoCage:
I don't know much about SkillUp, but I can already tell he is full of shit when it comes to games like DMC and Bayonetta. He must have been playing on Easy mode, DMC2, or the vanilla edition of DmC (2013). Now Bayonetta 2 kinda encourages button mashing a little; if you have the chainsaws, but even on the highest difficult, you have to know what you're doing. DMC3&4 will kill you on the default difficulty, if you even think about mindlessly button mashing.

I watched a few of his videos over the last couple months or so and his God of War review popped up on my Youtube feed. I initially thought it was a video about the PS2 game claiming it to be game of that generation because of the same name and the 1st God of War being awesome. From the few videos I've watched, he does seem to over exaggerate about how great some games are, but at least it comes off as genuine and passionate. The stuff he says about this new God of War just seems impossible to be true. However, I am definitely intrigued by this new game now and if it's half as good as he claims, it'll be something worth playing, which I can't say any of the God of War sequels were.

Ezekiel:
I never cared that much about the story in the God of War games and I certainly won't pick this up because it's said to have a good story. The story is now just more in the way, with more scripted walk and talk bullshit and a cinematic over the shoulder camera ill-suited to action games. I like The Last of Us, but I don't want God of War to be that. I know God of War wasn't the best action game with the best mechanics, but I liked it for what it was, this epic, brutal adventure that you actually played. People like PhoenixMGS with ridiculous comments like "baby's first hack and slash" would never understand that. I don't know why he keeps talking to me. The classic God of Wars are more interesting to me than some monotonous, dull, cheesy, boring sounding hack and slash like Bayonetta. They're more well rounded packages. I'd rather the devs improve the things that need to be improved instead of turning it into something that it's not. We already lost Tomb Raider to greed.

Funny how one of best regarded melee combat systems ever (I doubt you even know the game I'm referring to) uses basically the same camera as the new God of War yet it's ill-suited for action games?!?! But no, Ezekiel has a rather narrow and limiting set things that work in video games and can't comprehend how one thing could work great for one game while being shit in another game because everything is apparently unilaterally great or bad. The original God of War was an amazing game, the sequels were shit though. Yet I don't "understand" God of War... I understand God of War needs to be firing on all cylinders to be a good game because its core gameplay is at best 'fine' and can't carry the experience if everything else around it is shit (like the sequels), square-square-triangle kills every enemy, what a great combat system!!! Plus, the combat system is just basically a clone of PS2 Prince of Persia. God of War is much like the Uncharted series and even TLOU with regards to the core gameplay being too basic to carry the games on its own and those games only work when Naughty Dog is at the top of their game in variety of levels/encounters getting the most out of the just 'fine' gameplay while the story and characters also doing some heavy lifting to help carry the experience. And that is where the similarities between God of War and TLOU begin and end.

hoo shit, am continuously relieved for the swapping of ships this generation with all this quality first-party single-player choice. can sense Microsoft's game division already sharpening their cheques for another misguided attempt at buying somebody else's success

On the other hand, they don't have the bewilderingly promoted Life of Black Tiger, so the embrace of the rough-smooth swingabouts and all such invariably vacuous bollocks

Phoenixmgs:
Funny how one of best regarded melee combat systems ever (I doubt you even know the game I'm referring to)

You're talking about Asura's Wrath and I don't care. I only quickly skimmed through the rest of what you said, because I don't have enough patience anymore. Stop talking to me, seriously. I don't know why you messaged me about Max Payne 3 after I told you that I'm not talking to you anymore.

At least I know I'm not alone.

Edit: This one's good.

The sense of scale and chaos is worse and you can't even jump. What kind of a God of War is this?

^ Were they aware this is largely made by the same people who made GoW2, right down to the director? Epic scale alone wasn't cutting it anymore. You can't get much bigger than 3/Ascension's bosses without being ridiculous, and people were already losing interest after 3 was in the books.

They were never going to please everybody. If they just made the same game blueprint but with minor tweaks, only the diehard fans would yield more than a yawn, and even Sony wasn't ready for another God of War after the disappointing reception Ascension got.

I get it; the "new" direction isn't everyone's cup of tea, but at the end of the day it's still business-driven. From the looks of it they're off to another good start with the way they chose to go.

Ezekiel:

Phoenixmgs:
Funny how one of best regarded melee combat systems ever (I doubt you even know the game I'm referring to) uses basically the same camera as the new God of War yet it's ill-suited for action games?!?!

You're talking about Asura's Wrath and I don't care.

Nope. Why would anyone claim Asura's Wrath (QTE: The Game) has one of the best melee combat systems? Hint: the game also features 'God' in its name.

Phoenixmgs:

Ezekiel:

Phoenixmgs:
Funny how one of best regarded melee combat systems ever (I doubt you even know the game I'm referring to) uses basically the same camera as the new God of War yet it's ill-suited for action games?!?!

You're talking about Asura's Wrath and I don't care.

Nope. Why would anyone claim Asura's Wrath (QTE: The Game) has one of the best melee combat systems? Hint: the game also features 'God' in its name.

Yes, I knew it was Godhand, some Japanese game from the PS2, because I remember you talking to me about it and posting a video. I mixed up the titles because the games don't matter to me and I never look at them. Thanks for the worthless response, though (and probably getting me permabanned after three suspensions).

Ezekiel:
Thanks for the precious and informative response, though (and probably getting me ascended to an hero after three blessings).

Dude. I can't even remember if I like you or not - I probably don't as I hardly ever seem to agree with anything you say, but you're an institution on here. Please don't go out like this.

ON TOPIC: The God of War title that impressed me the most was the very first one. I've been following David Jaffe and collecting pretty much anything he was ever involved in, as I liked his attitude and whatever caustic alien blood trickle that seeped through whatever available pre-Twitter interviews or quotes of his. A bitter, angry man does not suck up to stupid folk. I respect that.

The new God of War doesn't seem to feature any involvement of David Jaffe. This bothers me far beyond expectations. I don't know Cory Barlog, the new director/co-writer. I have severe prequel/sequel/reboot fatigue. The only game I pre-ordered this year was Monster Hunter: World and that one felt like it was well worth the money and time... for a bit. There's only so many monsters one can kill before going back to dat Souls/Bloodborne life.

I liked this most recent little video here, as it once again feels like Sony know what they are doing:

I was wary of Horizon: Zero Dawn at first, be it as it came somewhat out of nowhere, was a new IP, involved Ashly Burch, who I've come to lazily loathe, but it did win me over simply by being a fresh IP... couldn't put it down before the plat dropped.

I've read very little reviews of the 2018 iteration of God of War, as I do intend to go in as blind as possible. So, yeah, I do want to play it.

Do I expect it to live up to the hype? No. Yes. Maybe. It's complicated.

My trust in current games journalism hovers somewhere around 0%. Aussie reviewbrah SkillUp Ralph has amazingly little skill, and his name is Ralph. I generally don't like people named Ralph. But I like his style and his videos. Not just the treasure trove that is Gaymen Laming. That said, I want this game to be a success, so I will absolutely buy into the hype. Holding off Ubisoft titles, being on a break from Activision and boycotting EA opened up the way for impulse buys. For me, God of War is one of those.

The biggest mistake I've seen in the past 24 hours? People who have no idea what they're talking about have kept comparing God of War (2018) to Dark Souls. May Odin sort them out, I don't care.

One does not simply compare games to the GLORY and the TRUTH that is Dark Souls.

Ezekiel:
Thanks for the worthless response, though (and probably getting me permabanned after three suspensions).

All the way back in third or fourth grade I began noticing a trend in the way kids reported their exam scores.
If somebody got a high score they said "I got an A".
If they got a low score it was "Teacher gave me an F".
From a childish perspective, we get what we like and we're given what we don't like.
Something to do with coping mechanisms.
Food for thought.

Johnny Novgorod:
Food for thought.

I'm not hungry. I knew YOU'D have something to say, though. Nothing about the topic, of course.

Ezekiel:

Johnny Novgorod:
Food for thought.

I'm not hungry.

Deadpan missing-the-point riposte like that, now I've got the Naked Gun theme stuck in my head. Thanks for the chuckles.

Another commendable point is it's not often we see a visual upgrade, but Santa Monica Studios appears to have continued their trend from the PS3 days

Also good to see the standard PS4 version hanging in there with the Pro.

I'm really excited for this game and I'm looking forward to continuing Kratos' story. I do remember the previous God of War games and I've got to say; Kratos doesn't deserve a redemption story of any kind. He is without a doubt one of the worst protagonists I've ever played. He's a scum bag who has sacrificed many innocent lives for the sake of his petty revenge and at the end of it all, became an even greater monster than any of the gods he's killed. He's a real piece of shit, sad backstory be damned. That said, I'm willing to give Santa Monica the chance to try and convince me that Kratos is redeemable. I still want him to die, though. I'd actually love to play as the character that kills him.

Captain Marvelous:
I'm really excited for this game and I'm looking forward to continuing Kratos' story. I do remember the previous God of War games and I've got to say; Kratos doesn't deserve a redemption story of any kind. He is without a doubt one of the worst protagonists I've ever played. He's a scum bag who has sacrificed many innocent lives for the sake of his petty revenge and at the end of it all, became an even greater monster than any of the gods he's killed. He's a real piece of shit, sad backstory be damned. That said, I'm willing to give Santa Monica the chance to try and convince me that Kratos is redeemable. I still want him to die, though. I'd actually love to play as the character that kills him.

I will be going into the game where only the events of the original God of War actually happened unless the game directly references the sequels because of how bad the plot and characterizations were in the sequels. I'm guessing you'd have to fill in the basics of Kratos destroying the Greek gods and that's why he's now moved to the Norse mythology, and I'll just fill-in the super basics of Zeus being pissed at Kratos basically forcing Kratos' hand. The actual plot reason why Zeus was mad at Kratos in the sequels was so fucking stupid. I was with Kratos as a character from what I recall of the first game, he did kill innocents but his motivations were understandable as every action he took was to get back at Ares and nothing else mattered to him. Not that Kratos was morally right in doing such things but his actions were in line with most revenge stories.

Yeah, video game review scores are pointless. I only somewhat "trust" a few reviewers on Youtube, and the ones I really do think are great reviewers (like Super Bunnyhop and Errant Signal) do their reviews at least like a month or so after release. The guys that I do somewhat trust as giving genuine takes on every game, their preferences usually don't line up with mine very well. For example, I definitely think Jim Sterling is completely honest about every game he plays, but I just don't think he's good at reviewing games. You know professional review scores are FUBAR because if games where to have a Tomato-meter, every game would be like 99% fresh. Games routinely get average scores that are higher than the vast majority of movies' Tomato-meters, that don't make sense.

Ezekiel:
Yes, I knew it was Godhand, some Japanese game from the PS2, because I remember you talking to me about it and posting a video. I mixed up the titles because the games don't matter to me and I never look at them. Thanks for the worthless response, though (and probably getting me permabanned after three suspensions).

You can't try to say something sucks, then ignore the example/proof of why your argument is wrong. You can't say God of War will suck because of the camera angle when there's a game using that same angle and it has one of the best melee combat systems ever. It's like saying some upcoming 1st-person platformer will suck because 1st-person platforming doesn't work when Mirror's Edge exists and proves that to be wrong. You can argue back and forth and be civil about it.

Phoenixmgs:

Ezekiel:

You can't try to say something sucks, then ignore the example/proof of why your argument is wrong. You can't say God of War will suck because of the camera angle when there's a game using that same angle and it has one of the best melee combat systems ever. It's like saying some upcoming 1st-person platformer will suck because 1st-person platforming doesn't work when Mirror's Edge exists and proves that to be wrong.

I'm not gonna play Godhand. Free cameras and big fields of view are better for chaotic combat systems. I noticed Godhand doesn't even have that many enemies on screen.

You can argue back and forth and be civil about it.

Take your own advice, buddy. The arguments I've had with you over the last year and a half haven't been civil. You've been condescending and extremely stubborn. There is NO POINT in having an argument with you because it never ends and you never budge even a little on anything. Or, you simply ignore what's inconvenient for you. Occasionally, you use ridiculous comparisons, like that stupid Mythbusters video, and laugh at me on top of that. Which is why I'm asking you to stop talking to me.

Phoenixmgs:
You know professional review scores are FUBAR because if games where to have a Tomato-meter, every game would be like 99% fresh. Games routinely get average scores that are higher than the vast majority of movies' Tomato-meters, that don't make sense.

I think I've mentioned this before, but the reason is simple: games are reviewed like TOYS instead of art like movies usually are. Stuff like praising the replay value or length of the game are things you could praise toys for too but not movies. And so on. It's the same issue when you see reviews of Undertale complaining that the gameplay is too retro (or something).

So...what is this game? I mean, what is the gameplay like? Because after reading this thread, I have genuinely no idea what the hell is going on with it.

The only thing I know for certain is that it's different to the old games. Not that I have a problem with that, the old formula needed a shake-up and anything that has the potential to make Kratos a decent human being and a relatable protagonist is okay by me.

Rangaman:
So...what is this game? I mean, what is the gameplay like? Because after reading this thread, I have genuinely no idea what the hell is going on with it.

The only thing I know for certain is that it's different to the old games. Not that I have a problem with that, the old formula needed a shake-up and anything that has the potential to make Kratos a decent human being and a relatable protagonist is okay by me.

From what I understand the combat is a little like Assassin's Creed Origins. The shoulder buttons are used to attack instead of the face buttons. Kratos's Axe can be used in Melee or thrown and, much like Mjolnir, the Leviathan Axe can be recalled at any time. When he doesn't have his Axe, Kratos uses his fists to attack. His Rage meter is still there and he can pull off brutal finishers on enemies after attacking for a while. That's about all I really know, at least until I get my hands on the game later this week.

McElroy:

Phoenixmgs:
You know professional review scores are FUBAR because if games where to have a Tomato-meter, every game would be like 99% fresh. Games routinely get average scores that are higher than the vast majority of movies' Tomato-meters, that don't make sense.

I think I've mentioned this before, but the reason is simple: games are reviewed like TOYS instead of art like movies usually are. Stuff like praising the replay value or length of the game are things you could praise toys for too but not movies. And so on. It's the same issue when you see reviews of Undertale complaining that the gameplay is too retro (or something).

I don't even know how toys are reviewed, but shouldn't how enjoyable the toy is be a big part of how good the toy is? It's not even that I require a game reviewer to on par a movie reviewer's critical analysis of writing, characters, plot, etc. But at least try, several games' enjoyment hinge on that stuff nowadays, have an opinion about it. Why can't one game reviewer not like something because they didn't enjoy it? For example, Hideo Kojima's writing, lots of people hate his writing yet MGS4 has a 94 average score (when over half the game/experience is cutscenes). Or, why can't a reviewer blast a game having functional Arkham combat but saying it totally doesn't fit the game? You can enjoy Arkham combat (or really any element/mechanic) in a one game and hate it in another depending on how it's used and other factors. Board game reviews can be very divisive and board games are more 'game-y' (they live/die completely on mechanics and balance) and are closer to toys than video games. I can see how toy reviewers would be much more about function and durability over enjoyment because I assume adults would be rating/reviewing toys while they don't actually play with them so enjoyment is obviously not something they could even rate. Whereas everything else that is reviewed is reviewed by people that enjoy said products (when they are good obviously) from movies to music to video games.

I've read combat is more deliberate this time, especially in terms of melee. People have said it has a momentum-like weightiness and feels crunchy, kinda like how The Last of Us is when you're smacking a 2x4 over an infected's face. The combat has moved to the shoulder buttons like Souls, but more tactical in that you will get into trouble more often trying to spam attacks. It sounds like it was designed to mix things up between the ax for both melee and range, melee with fists, and Atreus who can be used on cue to initiate or extend combos.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here