Vampyr

The upcoming game by DONTNOD studios that may or may not be the saviour of the perception of vampire fiction from the sweaty palms of the hormonal teen profiteering machine known as the [redacted] trilogy is, well, coming up soon and there's been a slow dripfeed of footage that looks to be fairly interesting, gameplay wise. Personally, I sort of assumed it to be a more linear, cinematic type genre with a few moral choices to add to a sense of player agency. However this does not appear to be the case and it seems a tad more RPGy, with hints of V the masquerade - bloodlines of all things (or at least what I've seen of that fabled darling). The studio also talks about being a "AA" production, similar in vein (lol) to Hellbade's studio's development, providing more creative freedom and room for experimentation.

Prepare ye eyeholes and earballs for incoming wall of imbredded videos and French people speaking!

Trailer 1

Trailer that am sure is on this site somewhere already but shhh!

Annnd, there's more that am certain I'm missing, but it will have to do because there's a lot of insufferable twats on YouTube I keep accidentally clicking on and one is too many for the sanity today.

Should this be considered Vampyr: The Masquyryd - Bloodlyns?

More importantly, however; is it possible for the image of vampire fiction to claw back respect after the oversaturised romanticised sexualisation (as in being more sexed up than a British intelligence report on Iraq's WMDs) from immensely successful popularised fanfiction hacks and anime? Or is it forever doomed to the mockery bin? Am mildly oautiously coptimistic for now.

Keanu Reeves better be playing the Vampire Hunter...

I've been keeping on eye on this one as well. I have to say I'm getting more excited as it approaches release. The footage they've put out and the interviews they've done seem very encouraging in that they are leaning hard into the traditional and gothic vampire themes. I read a PCGamer feature on the game that was pretty good, lemme find it.
https://www.pcgamer.com/your-choice-of-who-lives-or-dies-will-radically-alter-london-in-vampyr/

The author (Steven Messner, who's writing I really enjoy) likens it to The Witcher 3, which isn't the direction I expected this game to be going, but is a pleasant surprise nonetheless in my opinion.

I wouldn't get too excited about it just yet, PCGamesN got a chance to play it back in February and found the experience to be very lackluster, linear and repetitive. Granted Dontnod may be spending the last few months till release polishing and making improvements to it but they mention the issues they had were primarily with a lot of the core gameplay systems which they are unlikely to revamp before the game's release in June. So just be wary is all I'm saying.

And here I was getting pumped up to talk about Theodor Dreyer's 1932 seminal horror classic.

Silentpony:
Keanu Reeves better be playing the Vampire Hunter...

He should put on the worst British or Irish accent for this role. Or even better; say he's British/Irish but speak solely in Keanu Reeves accent.

JUMBO PALACE:
I've been keeping on eye on this one as well. I have to say I'm getting more excited as it approaches release. The footage they've put out and the interviews they've done seem very encouraging in that they are leaning hard into the traditional and gothic vampire themes. I read a PCGamer feature on the game that was pretty good, lemme find it.
https://www.pcgamer.com/your-choice-of-who-lives-or-dies-will-radically-alter-london-in-vampyr/

The author (Steven Messner, who's writing I really enjoy) likens it to The Witcher 3, which isn't the direction I expected this game to be going, but is a pleasant surprise nonetheless in my opinion.

That's a fairly informative article, thanks for sharing!

Nile McMorrow:
I wouldn't get too excited about it just yet, PCGamesN got a chance to play it back in February and found the experience to be very lackluster, linear and repetitive. Granted Dontnod may be spending the last few months till release polishing and making improvements to it but they mention the issues they had were primarily with a lot of the core gameplay systems which they are unlikely to revamp before the game's release in June. So just be wary is all I'm saying.

Expectations are tempered for sure, but they are hopeful.

Johnny Novgorod:
And here I was getting pumped up to talk about Theodor Dreyer's 1932 seminal horror classic.

In the gaming section?? There'll be no such anarchy here. We have rules and pigeon-holes for a reason, filthy savage!

Xsjadoblayde:
The upcoming game by DONTNOD studios that may or may not be the saviour of the perception of vampire fiction from the sweaty palms of the hormonal teen profiteering machine known as the [redacted] trilogy

FYI, Twilight (if that's what you're referring to) is a tetralogy, not a trilogy.

Hawki:

Xsjadoblayde:
The upcoming game by DONTNOD studios that may or may not be the saviour of the perception of vampire fiction from the sweaty palms of the hormonal teen profiteering machine known as the [redacted] trilogy

FYI, Twilight (if that's what you're referring to) is a tetralogy, not a trilogy.

Did someone call me?

Xsjadoblayde:
SNIP

Oh, even better! Keanu can only speak in Shakespearean verse!

I really want this game to be great so I can live out my Vampire: The Masquerade dreams again. All the press so far has been pretty poor though when folk have played it.

This might be good: http://werewolf-videogame.com/en

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here