God of War - First Impressions

God of War and I have a history. Back when the first game came out a new service had appeared online called Gamefly. This service was basically old school Netflix for video games. For a monthly fee you could have games sent to you off a list you customized, you kept the game for as long as you wanted or needed and then sent it back, once you sent it back they sent you the next game on the list. Additionally if you really liked a game and wanted to keep it, they would sell it to you at a steep discount and then send you the next game on your list.

The first game I got from this service was the original God of War on PS2. Ten minutes into the game I skewered a hydra on a broken boat mast and uttered the words, "I'm never sending this back." And I bought the game from game fly for like 20 bucks.

After the original game, I continued to play every GoW since. I became a fan of the visceral combat, and grand locations. No other game was quite like GoW, although the quick time event quickly became like a plague across the gaming industry. One thing GoW games were, was consistent, they were always grand adventures in crazy locations, filled with awesomely brutal combat and incredible bosses. However they never told great stories and Kratos wasn't really a character as much as he was just a screaming asshole who killed anything and everything he came across, (except women who he banged and discarded).

This God of War is nothing like the original games. God of War (2018) is not a reboot, it is a sequel and really should be called GoW4. While it is a direct sequel to the previous games, it is also completely different. Everything about the previous God of Wars are almost completely flipped on their head.

Let's start with the story and Kratos himself. Kratos for the first time is a real character, with real purpose, drive, and humanity. He still remains a bottle of anger, you can feel this guy struggle to control himself as he attempts to lead his son on the game's adventure. He is free to rage against the enemies of the game, but there are several times when he almost rages at his son and you feel Kratos swallow all of it like a painful pill. For the first time we see growth in him, in the years since we've seen him, you can feel how much of himself he has tried to bottle up and throw away, while being unable to completely remove himself from his previous nature. It's great to see him continue to progress along this path and further develop as you proceed through the game.

Next is the world itself. This isn't your PS2 era GoW for sure. The maps and area are far more open, though are still mostly linear, filled with secret areas and puzzle to solve to open chests, find collectables, and power-ups. The world is grand and incredible, just like the previous games, but also they manage to be a lot more "open" without being too open. I feel like they got the balance just right between funneling you on a path while still having plenty for you to find and discover. Like a lot of these games, you will find yourself coming back to areas in order to open doors or solve puzzles you couldn't originally due to not having a certain power at the time. This aspect is by far the best part of the game for me. Roaming around, breaking shit, collecting things, solving puzzles, I love this part of the game far more than I've liked it in any other game. Probably because Kratos still does things with a heavy brutallity, he doesn't open chests he punches through them and takes whatever is inside. He doesn't move switches he throws his axe into them. So on and so on.

Much of the game's early footage and media gave the impression that this was God of War meets The Last of Us, and that's kind of right. The whole game you are taking your son on a mission. You lead the boy through these pitfalls, puzzles, and boss fights, but like Ellie in TLOU, you aren't protecting him. In fact you rely on him. See Kratos doesn't read the language, or understand the local Nordic Mythology as he comes from a different pantheon obviously. But his son knows most of it and, with a few collectibles, can learn what he doesn't outright know. So you use this kid to read runes and messages around the world which offer tips on how to solve puzzles, or warn of upcoming danger. Additionally the son is also useful in combat. You can use him to shoot arrows at annoying targets, which make them easier for Kratos to finish off, and he'll also fight automatically, sometimes jumping on a monster to distract it and allow you free hits. There is also a consumable that you can buy which will allow your kid to bring you back to life if you die, though its use is limited.

Sadly the combat is the worse part about God of War for me. Not because combat is poor, but rather because it isn't what I want from a God of War game. GoW has always been a kind of spectacle fighter along the lines of Devil May Cry, chaining together crazy combos and moves, using different weapons, magics, all to defeat chains of enemies. God of War 4 is not that. It's not even close to that. God of War 4's combat is heavy and slow. Kratos uses a big axe and a shield to defeat enemies, and the constant over the shoulder camera plus the emphasis on blocking and dodging....well Fuck man, it's Dark Souls now. Attacking is on the right triggers and blocking is on the left bumper, dodging is on a face button, and if that control scheme seems familiar, well...

The combat is still very brutal though, and you feel every hit on the axe as you cleave through enemies. It feels good. Kratos' axe is also Thor's hammer because you can throw the axe and recall it to you with a button just like Thor. This can be used to hit ranged enemies and you can actually go bare fisted in combat if you want or need to fight after throwing your axe. The combat has a lot going on, combos and tricks are everywhere and as you use experience to learn moves and combos, your combat menu continuously expands.

However there is a problem with combat. They've done an awful lot to slow down the combat, making everything Kratos does deliberate and heavy, but also powerful and satisfying to connect with. Though it seems to me that the developer didn't quite know how to embrace this new combat system and still stuffs the game full of enemies that are just annoying to fight. Because your swings are slower and Kratos doesn't have the range of the Chains of Chaos, it makes flying enemies annoying as you have to stop and aim and throw the axe to hit them (your son can shoot them but he does do enough damage early on to make this viable), nor does Kratos have a lot of chance against rangey and slippery fast enemies. There are a lot of enemies that attack from ranged, but also slip away off screen before you can hit them. Again this is annoying, and you have to hope to catch a monster with a luck swing, or shoot it with your son's arrows to stun it long enough to get some hits in. This doesn't make the monsters that do this challenging, it makes them slow and annoying to fight. Slow and annoying are the last thing you want to feel about GoW combat right?

For the most part combat is fine though, it's just the sections that throw shitty monsters at you that can ruin it. Otherwise when fighting a boss, or a bunch of normal non-scummy mobs, it is a blast to cleave through them.

Frankly I'm having the least amount of fun in combat, which is awful for a GoW game. Yet the exploration and puzzle solving is so much fun I get giddy when I find a secret area. I'm still very early in the game, and as combat evolves my position on it might change (also I might just get better at it). Like I said combat isn't bad, it just isn't what I wanted from GoW and as a result it doesn't feel as good as I had hoped. Everything else is fantastic.

The combat isn't slow, it's just that the heavy 'fuck you' attacks are. The regular light and heavy attacks are just as fast as the blades of chaos were. I don't know how long you've been playing it, but it's definitely the hardest at the beginning (first 4 hours or so), because the combat feels so diffirent from anything else and you don't have any real special moves yet. Once you get some of the good stuff from the Skills menu, and a light and heavy rune for your axe you can start to throw down a bit more eagerly.

Casual Shinji:
The combat isn't slow, it's just that the heavy 'fuck you' attacks are. The regular light and heavy attacks are just as fast as the blades of chaos were. I don't know how long you've been playing it, but it's definitely the hardest at the beginning (first 4 hours or so), because the combat feels so diffirent from anything else and you don't have any real special moves yet. Once you get some of the good stuff from the Skills menu, and a light and heavy rune for your axe you can start to throw down a bit more eagerly.

I'm about 4 or 5 hours in. Hard to say. I have messed with the big bridge for the first time, if you know what I mean without giving spoilers away.

I can see how combat will improve. And frankly it isn't bad combat, the combat is fine for the most part. I wish there were less annoying enemies, but otherwise it's fine. I just was hoping to have a closer experience to the older games. Once I get over this differences it will be fine.

CritialGaming:
I can see how combat will improve. And frankly it isn't bad combat, the combat is fine for the most part. I wish there were less annoying enemies, but otherwise it's fine. I just was hoping to have a closer experience to the older games. Once I get over this differences it will be fine.

You're gonna have to get used to that. The game deliberately throws enemy combinations at you that are meant to throw you off and make you panic. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had a bit of fit when I got confronted with a revenant, two heavy draugrs, and two projectile draugrs. That bit, where Atreus falls through the rope bridge... I must've been stuck in that combat arena for half an hour. Yet I had a blast trying to survive through it all.

Once you can, get the parry attack skills, if you haven't already. When you have them all they basically are a golden fleece stand-in.

It's also very easy to forget your abilities. I constantly forgot to activate my rune abilities initially, or to use Atreus in combat. I think I've played a good 15 hours and I still do a run-down of the combat whenever I jump back in, to familiarize myself with all the abilities.

Casual Shinji:

CritialGaming:

You're gonna have to get used to that. The game deliberately throws enemy combinations at you that are meant to throw you off and make you panic. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had a bit of fit when I got confronted with a revenant, two heavy draugrs, and two projectile draugrs. That bit, where Atreus falls through the rope bridge... I must've been stuck in that combat arena for half an hour. Yet I had a blast trying to survive through it all.

Once you can, get the parry attack skills, if you haven't already. When you have them all they basically are a golden fleece stand-in.

It's also very easy to forget your abilities. I constantly forgot to activate my rune abilities initially, or to use Atreus in combat. I think I've played a good 15 hours and I still do a run-down of the combat whenever I jump back in, to familiarize myself with all the abilities.

The biggest problem from what I read is that by exploring and upgrading or finding better equipment means you can actually drastically overlevel the storyline stuff. Which I'm sure leads to people saying the game gets easier the later you get. Partially because of abilities and gear, and I'm sure additionally because of getting better outright. I did notice something, before I got to the Lake of the Nine, I was struggling. But in that lake I explored, found secret areas, gear, and learned new skills. After I finished and got back to the main story, I stopped having trouble. At least so far.

CritialGaming:
The biggest problem from what I read is that by exploring and upgrading or finding better equipment means you can actually drastically overlevel the storyline stuff. Which I'm sure leads to people saying the game gets easier the later you get. Partially because of abilities and gear, and I'm sure additionally because of getting better outright. I did notice something, before I got to the Lake of the Nine, I was struggling. But in that lake I explored, found secret areas, gear, and learned new skills. After I finished and got back to the main story, I stopped having trouble. At least so far.

I haven't been able to drastically overlevel by exploring, and I've tried not to miss anything. Things got easier, but certainly not to a point where I could just cheese it due to my level alone.

Casual Shinji:

CritialGaming:

I haven't been able to drastically overlevel by exploring, and I've tried not to miss anything. Things got easier, but certainly not to a point where I could just cheese it due to my level alone.

Question because I'm getting mixed messages about the "exploring": how in-depth is it? Is there a linear path that occasionally forks into a dead-end-with-a-chest or is it more open like a Zelda or a Souls game?

Johnny Novgorod:
Question because I'm getting mixed messages about the "exploring": how in-depth is it? Is there a linear path that occasionally forks into a dead-end-with-a-chest or is it more open like a Zelda or a Souls game?

Definitely in the realm of Zelda. Even Dark Souls and Bloodborne are more linear than the new God of War. I'm mystified by how they were able to make a "linear" game this huge and sprawling.

Casual Shinji:

Johnny Novgorod:

Definitely in the realm of Zelda. Even Dark Souls and Bloodborne are more linear than the new God of War. I'm mystified by how they were able to make a "linear" game this huge and sprawling.

Yeah, they said the level design was influenced by Bloodborne but it's definitely bigger and more varied from what I've played. I'm at the Lake of Nine and have no idea what or where I'm "supposed" to go yet. I had a hint from the compass but I have most of the HUD off except for combat and have just been exploring the lake as much as I can. I have the compass and enemy health set to the touch pad, which makes for an interesting surprise dynamic. I would have Kratos' off too but like keeping an eye on my runes cool downs and rage meter. I also moved sprint and stun finish to holding Circle and X respectively because I'm not crazy about overusing the stick buttons. Locking on is about as much as I want to stress them. The only drawbacks are needing to take your thumb off the right stick and having to hold to finish which takes a bit longer than a click, but it hasn't been an issue yet. I'm still not sure which I prefer since you only have to click to sprint vs hold the stick down, but I'm used to sprinting with Circle in SoulsBorne.

The best fight I've had so far is in the mines right before the Soul Eater, which was a neat fight too with a cool way of exploiting the weak spot, but I loved how I could get enemies to chase me around so I could keep the upper hand on positioning. It was the toughest fight I've had yet at just LvL 2, but it was pretty exhilarating to finally beat just a handful of random baddies that didn't lock you into an arena and were still very challenging. Those flying things that possess the draugers(?) are an interesting risk/reward factor in that you can try to kill them all to end the fight early, but risk getting hit so much more by the active draugers. I barely have any thing leveled up yet, but my tactics still felt varied enough and nothing could be spammed like ax throws or arrows.

hanselthecaretaker:
Yeah, they said the level design was influenced by Bloodborne but it?s definitely bigger and more varied from what I?ve played. I?m at the Lake of Nine and have no idea what or where I?m ?supposed? to go yet. I had a hint from the compass but I have most of the HUD off except for combat and have just been exploring the lake as much as I can. I have the compass and enemy health set to the touch pad, which makes for an interesting surprise dynamic. I would have Kratos? off too but like keeping an eye on my runes cool downs and rage meter. I also moved sprint and stun finish to holding Circle and X respectively because I?m not crazy about overusing the stick buttons. Locking on is about as much as I want to stress them. The only drawbacks are needing to take your thumb off the right stick and having to hold to finish which takes a bit longer than a click, but it hasn?t been an issue yet. I?m still not sure which I prefer since you only have to click to sprint vs hold the stick down, but I?m used to sprinting with Circle in SoulsBorne.

I'll have to remember to put the compass on the touchpad, too -- It's really interfering with my kodak moments. Though I have heard they're working on patching in a photo mode. I'm even considering turning off the threat indicators when I go for a second playthrough, and try and rely on Atreus' warnings only.

Casual Shinji:
SNIP

So I'm a bit further now, and am still very much annoyed by the constant reliance of bullshit gimmick enemies. The revenants still are not fun to fight as they warp around the room, sometimes completely ignoring arrow damage, and the big stone ancient things damn near one shot me while trying to aim the axe at them in the brief second of time you have to throw it before you take an ice beam or a fireball to your face. This often spells cheap and instant death on higher difficulties, removing most aspects of skill from the player and forces them to rely on being shitty and cheap.

I'm quite a bit sad really. The combat doesn't improve once Kratos goes back to duel wielding. The greatest aspect of the game still is exploring the beautiful areas, and all the combat feels like a chore.

God of War should be a game in which I rushing off to fight more and more enemies. Regardless of the change in format. Instead I groan everytime I see enemies spawn because I know I'll mostly have to chase them around the room, or run and hide from stupid projectiles that sometimes can chase you around corners. It's not good combat, no matter how you slice it.

CritialGaming:
So I'm a bit further now, and am still very much annoyed by the constant reliance of bullshit gimmick enemies. The revenants still are not fun to fight as they warp around the room, sometimes completely ignoring arrow damage, and the big stone ancient things damn near one shot me while trying to aim the axe at them in the brief second of time you have to throw it before you take an ice beam or a fireball to your face. This often spells cheap and instant death on higher difficulties, removing most aspects of skill from the player and forces them to rely on being shitty and cheap.

I'm quite a bit sad really. The combat doesn't improve once Kratos goes back to duel wielding. The greatest aspect of the game still is exploring the beautiful areas, and all the combat feels like a chore.

God of War should be a game in which I rushing off to fight more and more enemies. Regardless of the change in format. Instead I groan everytime I see enemies spawn because I know I'll mostly have to chase them around the room, or run and hide from stupid projectiles that sometimes can chase you around corners. It's not good combat, no matter how you slice it.

I don't know how you're playing it, or what skills you're investing in, but here's some tips;

Get the counterstrike skills. It basically turns your shield into the golden feece. You don't need all of them, just the light attack counter and the projectile counter. The light attack counter is great for every general enemy, as it not only does damage but knocks them back along with every other enemy nearby, but the projectile counter massively takes the sting out of any enemy that has projectile attacks. This includes the stone ancients. You still need to watch for the beams, but the fire/ice projectiles they shoot you can just bounce right back -- you don't even really need to grab the rocks that fall lose. Trust me, the projectile counter makes those stone ancient fights WAY easier.

Secondly, upgrade Atreus whenever you can and make sure to spam the ever loving shit out of his attacks. Getting the running attack skill for both light and heavy will work miracles along with his arrows. With nearly every enemy I just sprint up to them while hammering the square button to keep them in place, do a running heavy attack, and then follow it up with an executior's cleave. It makes short work out of the grunts.

Or maybe you're just not going to connect to the combat, because honestly I'm crazy loving it. And no, the revenants are never going to be fun to fight, they're an annoyance enemy first and foremost.

Casual Shinji:

CritialGaming:

I don't know how you're playing it, or what skills you're investing in, but here's some tips;

Get the counterstrike skills. It basically turns your shield into the golden feece. You don't need all of them, just the light attack counter and the projectile counter. The light attack counter is great for every general enemy, as it not only does damage but knocks them back along with every other enemy nearby, but the projectile counter massively takes the sting out of any enemy that has projectile attacks. This includes the stone ancients. You still need to watch for the beams, but the fire/ice projectiles they shoot you can just bounce right back -- you don't even really need to grab the rocks that fall lose. Trust me, the projectile counter makes those stone ancient fights WAY easier.

Secondly, upgrade Atreus whenever you can and make sure to spam the ever loving shit out of his attacks. Getting the running attack skill for both light and heavy will work miracles along with his arrows. With nearly every enemy I just sprint up to them while hammering the square button to keep them in place, do a running heavy attack, and then follow it up with an executior's cleave. It makes short work out of the grunts.

Or maybe you're just not going to connect to the combat, because honestly I'm crazy loving it. And no, the revenants are never going to be fun to fight, they're an annoyance enemy first and foremost.

I've unlocked every skill for every weapon except the chaos blades, and Atreus is also fully maxed out. At least as far as I can this far into the game. It's not for lack of skills, I think it is solely the unblievably strong and annoying to hit enemies. Like I said, the revenants and the Soul eaters can go fuck themselves. Everytime they show up I know I'm about to die a bunch before I finally beat them.

CritialGaming:
I've unlocked every skill for every weapon except the chaos blades, and Atreus is also fully maxed out. At least as far as I can this far into the game. It's not for lack of skills, I think it is solely the unblievably strong and annoying to hit enemies. Like I said, the revenants and the Soul eaters can go fuck themselves. Everytime they show up I know I'm about to die a bunch before I finally beat them.

But have you used the projectile counter against the ancients? Because I remember them being a tough nut to crack till I realized I could counter their energy balls. I was also struggling with throwing my axe and dodging their attacks at the same time. Now I just wait for them to attack and blast it right back.

Casual Shinji:

CritialGaming:

But have you used the projectile counter against the ancients? Because I remember them being a tough nut to crack till I realized I could counter their energy balls. I was also struggling with throwing my axe and dodging their attacks at the same time. Now I just wait for them to attack and blast it right back.

Can you reflect the beam attack? Because it's the one's with the beam that are the most trouble. The fire guys are boring to fight, but not that much trouble.

CritialGaming:
Can you reflect the beam attack? Because it's the one's with the beam that are the most trouble. The fire guys are boring to fight, but not that much trouble.

You can't reflect the beam attack, but the sideways sweep you can just block and with the focused one you can usually find something in the environment to hide behind. The ancient even has a tell right before does the beam attack, as opposed to the regular projectiles. I think he stomps one leg.

CritialGaming:

Casual Shinji:

CritialGaming:

The only revenants I've had a problem with so far are the ones that come out of the void/black hole thing. They can one shot me, but that's because I'm way underleveled for those particular ones. Their life bars are purple but I'm sure you know that. I've gone into places I problem have no business being in and unleash everything I have (like the area with the dragon breath fire and lightning by one of Thor's statues with all the drauger(?)s around) and have gotten out by the skin of my teeth, but it was anything but dull trying. Most enemies can be pummeled with a variety of attacks, like axe swings, launchers, arrow juggles, rune attacks, melee, etc. There is a ton of variety and I haven't had a big problem with an encounter yet other than what comes out of the void black holes things.

For what it's worth, I didn't actually have a video of my first Soul Eater encounter, but here's someone else destroying one on "Give Me God of War" difficulty. He could've probably done it sooner too if he didn't get sloppy towards the end, but I'm guessing that difficulty can be pretty nerve racking as it is.

I've been having a lot of fun with the combat in the game. There are only two enemies I can think of that are annoying to fight. The Revenants (Specifically fighting 2 at once) and the Dark Elves. Basically the incredibly mobile, attack dodging, ranged types of enemies are particularly annoying.

Ancients are some of the easier enemies I've encountered. Keep some distance to avoid the AoE attacks. The beam can't be countered, but it can be blocked safely (At least on normal). And the fireball attacks can be countered, so do that instead of throwing the axe. Only throw the axe when the Ancient is stunned, if you want to play it safe. When they fall to their knees, attack them for a bit before hitting R3. You can get off 2, maybe 3 attacks before it's too late to grab.

Captain Marvelous:
I've been having a lot of fun with the combat in the game. There are only two enemies I can think of that are annoying to fight. The Revenants (Specifically fighting 2 at once) and the Dark Elves. Basically the incredibly mobile, attack dodging, ranged types of enemies are particularly annoying.

Dark elves are relatively easy so long as you have Atreus stun-lock them. Revenants though seem to have a predetermined amount of damage they'll take before they decide to turn incorporeal, meaning you're never really able get them into a good killing combo.

Casual Shinji:

Captain Marvelous:

Dark elves are relatively easy so long as you have Atreus stun-lock them. Revenants though seem to have a predetermined amount of damage they'll take before they decide to turn incorporeal, meaning you're never really able get them into a good killing combo.

I've gotten that advice before and it hasn't quite worked out for me. Maybe I'm supposed to try hitting them while they're in the air? I'll be taking another trip to Alfheim to close some portals and kill some bosses. Hopefully I fair better against them this time around.

Casual Shinji:
snip

Wanted to let you know that the game has finally gotten good and exciting. The combat is much better with the fire weapons, though the annoying enemies are still bullshit and dumb. Not hard, just irritating to fight.

CritialGaming:

Casual Shinji:
snip

Wanted to let you know that the game has finally gotten good and exciting. The combat is much better with the fire weapons, though the annoying enemies are still bullshit and dumb. Not hard, just irritating to fight.

Wanna know something funny? I barely used them. As a matter of fact when they showed up I had a mini-existential crisis; the game had spent the last 18+ hours making me fall in love with the axe, and all of a sudden those other guys were thrust upon me. It was like a jilted ex showing up during a budding relationship. That whole sequence that led up to receiving them though... fucking poetry.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here