Cyberpunk 2077. THE HYPE TRAIN HAS LEFT THE STATION!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Well, CD Project Red hacked the end of Microsoft's conference with the trailer that may have broken the internet. This is proper punky Cyberpunk, lots of glowing and neon and bright colours contrasting with drab backgrounds. I love the ruthless look and how far they've gone with the cybernetics look with people having their entire jaw and mouth replaced and such. This looks goddamn great, we're waiting 2-3 years judging by the Witcher 3 trailers that were at a similar point in development.

I dunno about you but I can't wait for CyberGwent.

Please don't have a "Robots/Machines are the futurez, Humans/Organics are obsoletez and must die" story like in Westworld, Terminator, and Matrix please.

Looks rad. Hopefully they manage to do gun-play better than they did melee combat.

Yeah but like

What kind of game is it?

Fps? Tps? Turn based?

Is there going to be a set main character or are they customizable?

And if it's set, how white male and straight is he going to be? What level of gravel monotone will his voice be?

The trailer is nice in that it's closer to in-game graphics than the last trailer, but I have so many questions now

undeadsuitor:
Yeah but like

What kind of game is it?

Fps? Tps? Turn based?

And if it's set, how white male and straight is he going to be? What level of gravel monotone will his voice be?

The trailer is nice in that it's closer to in-game graphics than the last trailer, but I have so many questions now

My hope for it if its basically GTA and Witcher and Deus Ex all fucked each other and made a holy baby.

Samtemdo8:
Please don't have a "Robots/Machines are the futurez, Humans/Organics are obsoletez and must die" story like in Westworld, Terminator, and Matrix please.

And Detroit: Become Human.

Can't wait to play this game! It's looking so fucking awesome!

WolvDragon:

Samtemdo8:

And Detroit: Become Human.

And Westworld, and Mass Effect.

So... a big rad knightrider car, huh.

Damn, this is gonna be some new territory for CDProject. I wonder how well they're going to pull all this off.

Casual Shinji:
So... a big rad knightrider car, huh.

Damn, this is gonna be some new territory for CDProject. I wonder how well they're going to pull all this off.

GTA, Witcher, and Deus Ex having a baby dude. Thats what I hope it'll be.

Too much bright does not feel like cyberpunk. No gameplay.

Deus Ex did cyperpunk 20 years ago and better.

undeadsuitor:
Yeah but like

What kind of game is it?

Fps? Tps? Turn based?

*Paws crossed*

Please no boring ass Geralt with boring ass mono-gruff voice performance as a boring ass author insert! Fresh start here, right? That trailer protag isn't fooling me they're not preset 2 on a male character create screen though. So one hopes that is the case here.

I do appreciate the discovery of daytime and social liveliness in these late cyberpunk tales however.

B-Cell:

Too much bright?

For a genre that's 90 percent massive neon signs?

Kinda looks like Watch Dogs 3. Was hoping for more of a noir vibe.

I just hope it has good gameplay, good writing is great, if I'm bored whenever I'm in control that won't amount to much and I'll just watch a lets play with the boring part cut out.

Xsjadoblayde:

undeadsuitor:
Yeah but like

What kind of game is it?

Fps? Tps? Turn based?

*Paws crossed*

Please no boring ass Geralt with boring ass mono-gruff voice performance as a boring ass author insert! Fresh start here, right? That trailer protag isn't fooling me they're not preset 2 on a male character create screen though. So one hopes that is the case here.

I do appreciate the discovery of daytime and social liveliness in these late cyberpunk tales however.

Apparently according to the hints at the end of the video you can create your own character

Ya know, I didn't like Geralt, but he was a character.

Captain McGeneric is well, not really selling much here.

Like the Beyond Good and Evil 2 thing last year was cheesy as hell, but at least it had some flavor and personality while telling literally nothing about the game. This is just flat.

Seth Carter:
Ya know, I didn't like Geralt, but he was a character.

Like the Beyond Good and Evil 2 thing last year was cheesy as hell, but at least it had some flavor and personality while telling literally nothing about the game. This is just flat.

Agreed it was underwhelming, especially considering how anticipated this game has been. Voice acting, the look of the main character, the visuals, the music, etc. all made this seem uninspired at best and downright cheesy at worst. The Shadowrun and Deus Ex games had the feel and the darker noir-like atmosphere down. I know it's still too early to tell but this was a weak first impression following off of what we had with the Witcher series.

Every other thread here is like complaining about AAA games with regards to hype/marketing/pre-orders and now it's time to hype a game you haven't seen any gameplay from? God, don't gamers realize that everything we bitch about, we've done to ourselves.

Meiam:
I just hope it has good gameplay, good writing is great, if I'm bored whenever I'm in control that won't amount to much and I'll just watch a lets play with the boring part cut out.

This. Witcher 3 was boring as hell to play. My time would've been so much better spent watching a playthrough vs playing the game. CDPR hasn't proven to do gameplay at anything above average, not to mention Cyberpunk is probably going to have different gameplay from the Witcher games so what's the chances of CDPR nailing say a shooter (if it is) on their first go at it?

Apparently we still haven't learned to take E3 hype, or hype in general, with a mountain of salt.

Also like last time there was a secret message hidden right at the end.

It's been over 2077 days since we announced our plan to develop Cyberpunk 2077. We released a CGI trailer, gave some interviews and... went dark. Normal procedure for these kinds of things - you announce a game and then shut up, roll up your sleeves, and go to work. We wanted to give you The Witcher 3 and both expansions first, which is why this period of staying silent was longer than we planned. Sorry for that.

As soon as we concluded work on Blood and Wine we were able to go full speed ahead with CP2077's pre-production. But we chose to remain silent. Why? At some point, we made a decision to resume talking about the game only when we have something to show. Something meaningful and substantial. This is because we do realise you've been (im)patiently waiting for a very long time, and we wouldn't want anyone to feel that we're taking this for granted. On the contrary - it gives us a lot of extra motivation. The hype is real, so the sweat and tears need to be real, too :).

But to the point. Today is the day. If you're seeing this, it means you saw the trailer - our vision of Cyberpunk, an alternative version of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilised life, and gangs rule the rest. And, while this world is full of adrenaline, don't let the car chases and guns mislead you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a true single player, story-driven RPG. You'll be able to create your own character and..., well, you'll get to know the rest from what we show at our booth at E3. Be on the lookout for previews!

Before we finish, you probably have some questions, right?

1. When? When we told you we would only release the game when it's ready, we meant it. We're definitely much, much closer to a release date than we were back then :), but it's still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us - it's the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.

2. How big? Seriously big, but..., to be honest, we have no bloody clue at this point in time. Once we put it all together, we will openly tell you what you can expect. And we promise we'll do this before we start talking about any pre-orders or ask anything of you.

3. Free DLC/Expansions/DRM? Expect nothing less than you got with The Witcher 3. As for DRM, CP2077 will be 100% DRM-free on PC.

4. Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?

Once again, thank you for your patience. If you have a minute, do visit cyberpunk.net and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you post and we treat it very seriously.

Yours, CD PROJEKT RED Team

Well, you have to hand it to CDPR they probably have the best public relations of any company ever.

Canadamus Prime:
Apparently we still haven't learned to take E3 hype, or hype in general, with a mountain of salt.

This. No gameplay = no hype. We need another Spore to kill all hope people had in games. Maybe this will be it but given how people have shifted their brand loyalty from consoles to dev studios I doubt it.

ChupathingyX:
Also like last time there was a secret message hidden right at the end.

You know what these ASSHOLES did at the beginning of the trailer? They gave out free codes for The Witcher 3 GOTY. How dare they treat people with free copies of their best selling title? The nerve! THE NERVE!

undeadsuitor:

B-Cell:

Too much bright?

For a genre that's 90 percent massive neon signs?

Cyberpunk means perpetual night and rain to certain people who conflate it with 80s neon wank nostalgia.

Looks neat. Too early to pass judgement but I like the artstyle and I like how it's actually quite colourful and sunny rather than the usual rain, fog, night, muh Blade Runner approach to the setting you usually see. Other than that... well, let's wait for some Gameplay. I trust CD Projekt. They've made the best game of the decade, that earns them some goodwil in my book.

Samtemdo8:

If those were the messages you got from Terminator and The Matrix, you were watching them in reverse or upside down.

Gordon_4:

Samtemdo8:

If those were the messages you got from Terminator and The Matrix, you were watching them in reverse or upside down.

They were the premise, not the message.

Seth Carter:

My reaction was that we get a trailer filled to the brim with cool character designs from all walks of like in this cyberpunk city... Then they introduce the most generic gruff 30's something, brown haired, Caucasian guy they could as the narrator. Luckily it seems they are going for a character designer of some sort for the game.

At least the music and visual design feels spot on.

Gethsemani:

Seth Carter:

My reaction was that we get a trailer filled to the brim with cool character designs from all walks of like in this cyberpunk city... Then they introduce the most generic gruff 30's something, brown haired, Caucasian guy they could as the narrator. Luckily it seems they are going for a character designer of some sort for the game.

At least the music and visual design feels spot on.

It seemed kind of bright. Like I'm not suggesting they need to be Blade Runner nuclear dust storm permanent rain eternal darkness style by default, but literally everything in every scene seemed very clean and sterile and overlit. With Captain Mcgenericpants (wo I think was bald?) narrating about how the city is so crappy and everyone's poor and crimes skyrocketing as we see what looks like generally middle class well groomed people in nice clothes having casual life moments.

Seth Carter:
It seemed kind of bright. Like I'm not suggesting they need to be Blade Runner nuclear dust storm permanent rain eternal darkness style by default, but literally everything in every scene seemed very clean and sterile and overlit. With Captain Mcgenericpants (wo I think was bald?) narrating about how the city is so crappy and everyone's poor and crimes skyrocketing as we see what looks like generally middle class well groomed people in nice clothes having casual life moments.

It just doesn't look over-designed and over-stylized. It looks like a city that could actually exist in the real world in the future. Cyberpunk usually goes too far with changes and they make things look unnecessarily bleak and evil. But humans are attracted to aesthetically pleasing things. This is actually a far more realistic representation of how a cyberpunk city might look like for real.

Phoenixmgs:
Every other thread here is like complaining about AAA games with regards to hype/marketing/pre-orders and now it's time to hype a game you haven't seen any gameplay from? God, don't gamers realize that everything we bitch about, we've done to ourselves.

Meiam:

This. Witcher 3 was boring as hell to play. My time would've been so much better spent watching a playthrough vs playing the game. CDPR hasn't proven to do gameplay at anything above average, not to mention Cyberpunk is probably going to have different gameplay from the Witcher games so what's the chances of CDPR nailing say a shooter (if it is) on their first go at it?

The thing it has going against it though is that shooters (if it is one) are arguably the most bland and boring genre in terms of actual gameplay to begin with. It is because there is so little tactical feedback in a shooter if any (only if there's melee). After so many years of playing them, shooters feel so hands off to me that I often feel like I might as well be watching a Let's Play.

hanselthecaretaker:

The thing it has going against it though is that shooters (if it is one) are arguably the most bland and boring genre in terms of actual gameplay to begin with. It is because there is so little tactical feedback in a shooter if any (only if there?s melee). After so many years of playing them, shooters feel so hands off to me that I often feel like I might as well be watching a Let?s Play.

Most of them are literally laser pointers nowadays.

Physics weapons were probably the evolution of shooters, but they just randomly stopped for unclear reasons (though at least partially the MMS trend and "realism"). the guns that required creativity in use and had interesting behaviors and feedbacks vanished to be replaced by a bunch of "Shoots bullet", "Shoots bullet but faster". Then even those had any vague semblance of gameplay past point and click pushed out as almost of them switched to being hitscans instead of actual projectiles. At least partially to faciiatate online play with less intense netcode (it is easier to to do a math calculation of "You pointed here, that guy was travellling in this direction at this speed, do these trajectories intercept?" then to actually add an additional object that needs to be synchronized.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Canadamus Prime:

This. No gameplay = no hype. We need another Spore to kill all hope people had in games. Maybe this will be it but given how people have shifted their brand loyalty from consoles to dev studios I doubt it.

Spore? How about Aliens: Colonial Marines?
I know this here Cyberpunk 2077 is by CD Project Red who have probably earned a little leeway because of The Witcher 3, which apparently is really good but I haven't played it. However we still only have a pre-rendered trailer which pretty much only tells us what the setting is and that's it. Need I remind people that we're dealing with video games, not movies, we should really require more than a fancy trailer to get excited. And given previous E3's, not even a gameplay trailer should be sufficient.

Canadamus Prime:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Canadamus Prime:

Spore? How about Aliens: Colonial Marines?
I know this here Cyberpunk 2077 is by CD Project Red who have probably earned a little leeway because of The Witcher 3, which apparently is really good but I haven't played it. However we still only have a pre-rendered trailer which pretty much only tells us what the setting is and that's it. Need I remind people that we're dealing with video games, not movies, we should really require more than a fancy trailer to get excited. And given previous E3's, not even a gameplay trailer should be sufficient.

Destiny with the infamous "You see that area down there, you can go there". Though I guess you could go there, you just didn't survive the trip when the killbox caught you.

Or the nigh infamous No Mans Sky clearly not procedural generated demo planet.

Also, if I my flex my slight elder status, Final Fantasy 7 with its totally ingame graphics that were splashed through magazines and commercials and literally used to sell the PS1 itself.... which were all in pre-rendered FMVs while you got old cubes for arms for the actual game.

Samtemdo8:

Gordon_4:

Samtemdo8:

They were the premise, not the message.

If I recall 2020 properly (and I could probably still run a game from memory), it was pretty much "technology fixes nothing, we're still all a bunch of arseholes". It's way past any human/cybernetic faction conflict, unless for some reason it's taken over 60 years to flare up.

Of course CDPR could do something different, but that trailer gives me hope. It feels very "tales from the city streets". I dunno, it felt right to me as an old CP2020 player.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here