Cyberpunk 2077. THE HYPE TRAIN HAS LEFT THE STATION!

Pages PREV 1 2

Seth Carter:

Gethsemani:

Seth Carter:

Captain McGeneric is well, not really selling much here.

My reaction was that we get a trailer filled to the brim with cool character designs from all walks of like in this cyberpunk city... Then they introduce the most generic gruff 30's something, brown haired, Caucasian guy they could as the narrator. Luckily it seems they are going for a character designer of some sort for the game.

At least the music and visual design feels spot on.

It seemed kind of bright. Like I'm not suggesting they need to be Blade Runner nuclear dust storm permanent rain eternal darkness style by default, but literally everything in every scene seemed very clean and sterile and overlit. With Captain Mcgenericpants (wo I think was bald?) narrating about how the city is so crappy and everyone's poor and crimes skyrocketing as we see what looks like generally middle class well groomed people in nice clothes having casual life moments.

Is that really all you saw? In the first scene you can see an actual middle class man getting shaken down by two thugs, in a full train car in broad daylight. I see a lot of disparity of wealth. There are tons of opulent displays of wealth and power contrasted with poverty and depravity. Sure there are casual life moments mixed in, but there is also a lot of casual violence.

So i noticed lots of people complain about the trailer being "not dark enough" and i wonder:
a)Are they not taking into considerationg that the game might've a day/night cycle system.
b)Isn't that actually close to how Cyberpunk2020 setting looks? I'm interested in this one especially, because i'm not familiar with Mike Pondsmith's work that much.

Samtemdo8:
Please don't have a "Robots/Machines are the futurez, Humans/Organics are obsoletez and must die" story like in Westworld, Terminator, and Matrix please.

So... don't be cyberpunk? :p

undeadsuitor:

Is there going to be a set main character or are they customizable?

AFAIK you get character creator this time.

MrCalavera:

b)Isn't that actually close to how Cyberpunk2020 setting looks? I'm interested in this one especially, because i'm not familiar with Mike Pondsmith's work that much.

Well, this is what he decided to put on the front of the Night City sourcebook, so I think it's as good a representation as any for the feel he was going for. Not that a single image tells the whole story.

MrCalavera:

Samtemdo8:
Please don't have a "Robots/Machines are the futurez, Humans/Organics are obsoletez and must die" story like in Westworld, Terminator, and Matrix please.

Has cyberpunk ever been about the rise of machines? Sure, AI and robots have existed in those genres (blade runner has replicants etc) but shits not like the replicants are taking over. They're just another class in the social order. With their own problems and issues.

Cyberpunk is more about evul capitalism and how the lower rungs of society survives and exists under the thumb of lawful evil mega corporations.

Skynet is never the villain in cyberpunk, Viacom is.

Seth Carter:
It seemed kind of bright. Like I'm not suggesting they need to be Blade Runner nuclear dust storm permanent rain eternal darkness style by default, but literally everything in every scene seemed very clean and sterile and overlit. With Captain Mcgenericpants (wo I think was bald?) narrating about how the city is so crappy and everyone's poor and crimes skyrocketing as we see what looks like generally middle class well groomed people in nice clothes having casual life moments.

Well, the whole "everyone's poor" is countered by murder and theft, in the sense that corpses are no longer considered poor and their wealth is redistributed to those still alive. The trailer shows a lot of violence, but it does seem like the populace is fairly happy about it - the violence seems enthusiastic rather than "a tough choice I need to make to survive".

The violence also seems pretty random, rather than systemic. I agree it's very worrying.

I don't understand the aesthetic design. It would seem to fit into any modern urban landscape, rather than a futuristic dystopia.

All in all, a really bad trailer, at least for people who take these games seriously as works of art.

undeadsuitor:
Has cyberpunk ever been about the rise of machines? Sure, AI and robots have existed in those genres (blade runner has replicants etc) but shits not like the replicants are taking over. They're just another class in the social order. With their own problems and issues.

Cyberpunk is more about evul capitalism and how the lower rungs of society survives and exists under the thumb of lawful evil mega corporations.

There's more to it. As the ecological world dies (by means of outcomes of industrial capitalism) machines become more and more important, as they are less reliant on the natural world for survival. So what will happen (in the real world) assuming that we avoid a more sudden demise by nuclear annihilation, is a fairly quick death or relocation for the global poor, a slower death for the global middle class, and some very self-protective behavior by the global rich.

This self-protective behavior takes various forms, including the rise of security and surveillance in the modern world, Dragon-like hoarding of wealth and increased inequality, as the world is slowly abandoned.

Machines are crucial to the self-preservation of the global rich, as the vulnerable humans die off and only the rich and their machine assistants remain.

One political benefit of this process is that labor no longer needs to be "exploited" by capital. So the wealthy can claim to be progressive by not utilizing human labor, "freeing" the humans to die while machines take over the role of labor.

briankoontz:

undeadsuitor:

There's more to it. As the ecological world dies (by means of outcomes of industrial capitalism) machines become more and more important, as they are less reliant on the natural world for survival. So what will happen (in the real world) assuming that we avoid a more sudden demise by nuclear annihilation, is a fairly quick death or relocation for the global poor, a slower death for the global middle class, and some very self-protective behavior by the global rich.

This self-protective behavior takes various forms, including the rise of security and surveillance in the modern world, Dragon-like hoarding of wealth and increased inequality, as the world is slowly abandoned.

Machines are crucial to the self-preservation of the global rich, as the vulnerable humans die off and only the rich, their machine assistants, and those humans who maintain them, remain.

One political benefit of this process is that labor no longer needs to be "exploited" by capital. So the wealthy can claim to be progressive by not utilizing human labor, "freeing" the humans to die while machines take over the role of labor.

Well I thought they got the aesthetic pretty down pat. You've got high high fashion super wealthy all the way down to punks with mohawks and studs where ever they can fit them. Plus, burning peoples brains out over the internet. Gunfights in broad daylight, augments everywhere.

We'll see what the story is going to be like and how it plays, but at least it's going to look the part.

undeadsuitor:

Not really, evil mega corporations are more a thematic element. Classic cyberpunk has always been about alienated loners in a world of rapidly evolving(often out-of-control and intrusive) technology with the 'glue' that kept societies together having dissolved(add in some ecological disaster and/or mysterious disease for good measure). Ofcourse, in such a world the evil mega corp is triumphant. Cyberpunk is basically nothing more than extrapolating current events and sprinkling them with (still within the realm of plausibility) sci-fi flavor.

Cyberpunk is one of my most favorite genres though there isn't that much to choose from. For me atleast noir fit the cyberpunk mood the best. Cyberpunk is also different from dystopian fiction for the element of transhumanism in the genre; the potential of humanity to free itself from it's biological chains.

But anyways as much as I would personally have prefered a moody Bladerunner-esque trailer I also realize CDPR's approach might fit a 100+ hour RPG better. They certainly have the skill to make some wonderful stories in that world.

Okay I watched the trailer a few times and I'm still excited but I would like to see some gameplay or a breakdown on how the rpg mechanics will work.

I really couldnt enjoy The Witcher series for some reason. The combat just annoyed me. But Im hoping this is basically going to be like a high budget 'Shadowrun Returns'.

B-Cell:
Too much bright does not feel like cyberpunk. No gameplay.

Deus Ex did cyperpunk 20 years ago and better.

The genre tropes do sometimes need a little shake up, my mates entirely predicted that I would start my Shadowrun session with the exact words "It is a dark and stormy night".

undeadsuitor:

MrCalavera:

Samtemdo8:

Ehh, Cyberpunk has some interesting stories in it, mostly it's Megacorps, AAA corps, etc ruling over everything as you said, some stories make good use of people fighting that going too far and becoming a danger themselves, like zealots stealing the ingredients for a ditry bomb / nuke / nanite bomb or the like they plan to set off. More generally, I've always viewed Cyberpunk as being about the concentration of power in general, the anti-corporatist aspect is common, but there's also a good number of stories where it's government working with the corps that does it, or the government itself being the villain, or a shadowy meta-government cabal (Like Deus Ex's Illuminati, Majestic 12, WTO/Church groups) pulling the strings of corporations and governments alike.

stroopwafel:
Well, you have to hand it to CDPR they probably have the best public relations of any company ever.

Digital Extremes may have them there. But it's damn close between the two.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

undeadsuitor:

B-Cell:

Too much bright?

For a genre that's 90 percent massive neon signs?

Cyberpunk means perpetual night and rain to certain people who conflate it with 80s neon wank nostalgia.

To be fair, I do enjoy the noir neon wank nostalgia a lot, but, see above post.

briankoontz:
Snip

Quoting yourself, you ok there mate?

I'm sorry, is this thread about Cyberpunk 2077? I'm too busy being excited to read anything posted here. Could someone just send this thread directly to my brain, kthx. I can't wait to explore that city. I love myself some cyberpunk and a first-person RPG in an open-world futuristic, neon lit city is the pinnacle of what I could ask for.

Trailer looks bloody great, got to see so many different characters and places. They've also spoken a bit about NPCs and questing, building complexes, char creation, "classes" (there are sorta three loosely based on 2020's netrunner, techie and solo). Cars and bikes, cyberware, role-playing narrative driven gameplay...I want to give them my money but they won't let me :-(

B-Cell:

Not if it stays true to it's source material.

If it does, sorry/not sorry, but in terms of setting creation, Mike Pondsmith holds Warren Spector down and pimp slaps him like he betta have his money.

But that's still a big IF...

Zykon TheLich:

If I recall 2020 properly (and I could probably still run a game from memory), it was pretty much "technology fixes nothing, we're still all a bunch of arseholes". It's way past any human/cybernetic faction conflict, unless for some reason it's taken over 60 years to flare up.

You're recalling properly. Humans are still shit, but now they've got bigger guns, deadlier drugs, and more ways to look cool being shit. The closest any human/cyborg conflict there is whenever a cyberpsycho goes postal, or a luddite boostergang decides to go on crusade.

Smithnikov:
You're recalling properly. Humans are still shit, but now they've got bigger guns, deadlier drugs, and more ways to look cool being shit. The closest any human/cyborg conflict there is whenever a cyberpsycho goes postal, or a luddite boostergang decides to go on crusade.

Adam Smasher, we hardly knew ye...

Luddite boostergang?

My biggest question is how they are going to get from 2020 to 2077 and if V3 has been totally dropped (please, please, please).

Zykon TheLich:

Luddite boostergang?

Or maybe in the case of the Inquisitors (name correct?) just...gang. They were people who ambushed anyone who had cyberware and fucked their shit up. Brave and crazy souls, them.

And yea, I'm hoping V3 was just a bad dream. Nomads as masters of nanotech...fuck me...

Smithnikov:
Or maybe in the case of the Inquisitors (name correct?) just...gang. They were people who ambushed anyone who had cyberware and fucked their shit up. Brave and crazy souls, them.

And yea, I'm hoping V3 was just a bad dream. Nomads as masters of nanotech...fuck me...

Correct it is. I'm sure we always used to run into them beating up a young couple for the sin of having designer eyes.

Desnai...fucking Desnai.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or