Bethesda Conference

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So, just creating this thread a few minutes ahead of time to discuss Bethesda's E3 conference. Least in this case, I can watch it in real-time.

After EA and Microsoft, bar's been set pretty low.

And its already lower then EAs.

What the fuck am I looking at?

Okay, they are showing RAGE 2....

That first 15 min was such a cringe

EDIT: DOOM Eternal looks awesome!

God dammit, please stop trying to hype the crowd/Pausing for applause! And yeah, Rage looks interesting. MC guy seems generic as hell, but the weapons and abilities look really cool. Gives me some nice Bulletstorm vibes.

DOOM Eternal YES!!!

Bethesda wins E3.

Oblivious Dude - Bethesda
Butterfly "(VR) Ports"

"Are these! original ideas?"

ok, that was funny, skyrim very special edition...

Keegan-Michael Key is a treasure and I suddenly feel the need to play Skyrim for like the 5th time.

Edit: Holy shit, my interest in 76 just died.

i'm not sure i understand, you can play solo, but online ?

cathou:

I think it's going to be like Destiny. You can technically play Destiny on your own, but you'll still run in to other players while running around. The difference is that Fallout's players can shoot/nuke you. So yeah, have fun.

Random thoughts as I watch it:

The presenters' portion was cringy,
Fallout 76 looks pretty good,
DOOM Eternal is a "fuck yes" for me,
Wished we could've seen more of Starfield and ES6,
Quake Champions looks fun,
and Elder Scrolls: Blades is stupid

Fallout 76 is multiplayer.... I don't even... I'd rather a rumor about an incurable 100% fatal and infectious version of the Black Death was sweeping the planet be right instead of that one, that's how depressing it is.

Hawki:
-So much for rebuilding America...

It'll still have a story mode, and that's honestly where my interests begins if they take this where I think they're taking it. I'll skip the whole spiel I mentioned in the FO76 thread, but my money's on the Enclave being heavily involved.

- The Greenbrier, seen in the trailer, is (well, was) the location for Congress' real-world continuation-of-government bunker site called Project Greek Island.

- We also see a crashed torus station, relevant since the Enclave's ultimate goal was colonizing space.

- Of course, since it's coal country we see bucket-wheel excavators, not like a major player in the Enclave is an energy company or anything.

One must ask what a control vault's doing right in the Enclave's backyard, in the middle of a strategically-indispensable location for the Enclave...they were, after all, the ones so obsessed with "rebuilding America". I, for one, think the PC is going to at least start as a member of the Enclave...and I like where that's headed.

Lots of good stuff but I still have two questions that are really keeping me from getting hyped of Fallout 76.
1.) Can I unplug my router and play the game without issue.
2.) If I can play offline does that mean that mods will be available.

I know they said you can play "by yourself" or "solo" but that is not the same thing as playing completely offline.

Eacaraxe:

Hawki:
-So much for rebuilding America...

It'll still have a story mode, and that's honestly where my interests begins if they take this where I think they're taking it. I'll skip the whole spiel I mentioned in the FO76 thread, but my money's on the Enclave being heavily involved.

I was more referring to the fact that for all the talk of "rebuilding America," the inhabitants of the vault seem more intent on killing each other and re-nuking the place.

Was good, I'm really hyped about Fallout 76 and the coop mode, I've always wanted a coop mode for Fallout so it's a dream come true.

While this conference wasn't as good as the 2015 one, it wasn't nearly as bad as the one in 2016, I'll give it a 6.5/10.

Well that was a strong showing, probably will be the strongest presentation.

Love me more Prey, one of the most underrated game in last few years (although it was very well reviewed, so maybe underplayed). I hope the DLC does well enough to justify a sequel one day.

76 is an online game, which massively blow, but we already knew that. Honestly they shouldn't bother with solo player, it'll just end up with a lame experience for everyone.

ES6 exist and that's all we know. Better than nothing, there was a risk that ES online was gonna kill the franchise like Wow did to warcraft, so that's a good news. Hoping for some strong improvement to the gameplay (please make the mechanic with the player being unable to drink potion in inventory in mind, you can still let them do that on easy mode, but combat will never be interesting so long as we can always drink as many potion as we want whenever we want).

Some new sci-fi IP, I mean we know nothing but I like sic fi so yay I guess.

Rage 2... meh, maybe I'll get it when it's heavily discounted. Then again they might take a few clue from the last mad max movie and that could turn interesting (think mad max visual and doom gameplay)

More Doom is always nice... but part of me feel like Doom 2016 was catching lightning in a bottle and now there going to fuck it up.

Fallout 76 sounds fun. Co-op Fallout has been a dream I've wanted to become reality, and I hope they don't fuck it up. The game being entirely online doesn't bother me. It's a change, and a split from the main series. That's fine. Just hope they have some design decisions to prevent cheating, hacking, and griefing.

Elder Scrolls: Blades is...interesting? They said you could play it on PC, but if it was made for mobile first how the hell is that going to turn out?

DOOM Eternal sounds neat. All I have to say.

Rage 2 looks nice too.

They basically just said "Elder Scrolls 6 exists." and that's all most people were asking for. Now we know. Now people can stop pestering for it. Probably will have to wait a couple years at least.

I still think Prey is a boring game, and the added modes isn't likely to change that for me.

All you needed was to confirm Elder Scrolls VI and it's suddenly the best damn conference of the entire E3 conferences.

Decent enough conference, I guess.

Wolfenstein Youngblood intrigues me tho. Will the characters be designed by Rob Liefeld? Covered in pouches! Tiny or no feet! Pants so tight their overly large groins pucker into an overachieving asterisk! Guns and swords whose barrels/blades don't line up with the rest of it! All grimacing all the time!

Chimpzy:
Decent enough conference, I guess.

Wolfenstein Youngblood intrigues me tho. Will the characters be designed by Rob Liefeld? Covered in pouches! Tiny or no feet! Pants so tight their overly large groins pucker into an overachieving asterisk! Guns and swords whose barrels/blades don't line up with the rest of it! All grimacing all the time!

Next on how to give your age away on the internet, knowing Smash Mouth's other five hit songs.

Seth Carter:
Next on how to give your age away on the internet, knowing Smash Mouth's other five hit songs.

They had other hit songs?

Chimpzy:

Seth Carter:

They had other hit songs?

Walking on the Sun, Why Can't We Be Friends (yes a cover), Then the morning comes, Can't get enough of you baby, and I'm a Believer (also a cover).

All reasonably high charting as rock songs, most also did well on pop charts.

Speaking of circa 2000 rock music. Wheres all the Andrew WK hype?

Fallout's my favorite franchise, but I've got one problem with fallout 76. And its not the survival focus or the multiplayer... its this.

Fallout is Fallout because it happens in the Fallout universe... with Fallout's ongoing story. Therefore any prequel in the series can't set up any kind of variable outcome. In other words, whatever happens in Fallout 76 CAN'T ACTUALLY MATTER in the long run. Elder Scrolls can get around the because their prequels happened centuries upon centuries before and anything could eventually lead to the "current time." Just like KotOR. But this... is this tiny time frame really enough to explain why a DOZEN player's settlements and all evidence of them are GONE by the time FO 3 rolls around?

However; I'm really more looking forward to Starfield, ES VI, and surprisingly Rage 2. Starfield because its something new (we never get anything new these days,) ES VI because several people are saying it could be High Rock and I loved Daggerfall (although I don't know how any modern game could have as big a city as Daggerfall was). And Rage... the first one was completely awful. The "leak" of Rage 2 couldn't have interested me any less. But then I saw Avalanche was working on this one. And I just picked up and am playing Mad Max (and am enjoying it.) So maybe this one can be WAY better than the Bethesda/ID crapfest that was Rage.

Ok, I try to watch these things, but it legitimately hurts inside to watch every bunglecunt they throw onstage pause after each weak-sauce sentence with a half-nervous, expecting grin that basically screams "Clap, you fucking imbeciles...clap!"

*Shivver* It's just terrible. Where's that "fuck the Oscars" guy? Is he allowed back to these events?

I liked the bit where they announced "Devolver Digital" whatever game that is. Couldn't quite make much sense from the clip though;

Is this social Marxist communism again?

Kyrian007:
Fallout's my favorite franchise, but I've got one problem with fallout 76. And its not the survival focus or the multiplayer... its this.

Fallout is Fallout because it happens in the Fallout universe... with Fallout's ongoing story. Therefore any prequel in the series can't set up any kind of variable outcome. In other words, whatever happens in Fallout 76 CAN'T ACTUALLY MATTER in the long run. Elder Scrolls can get around the because their prequels happened centuries upon centuries before and anything could eventually lead to the "current time." Just like KotOR. But this... is this tiny time frame really enough to explain why a DOZEN player's settlements and all evidence of them are GONE by the time FO 3 rolls around?

Because Fallout 3 isn't in West Virginia? Its that bunch of ghost towns off the west edge of the map somewhere that no one in the Capital Waste mentions because a bunch of twits lived there and nuked each other. and were never heard from again.

Hawki:
I was more referring to the fact that for all the talk of "rebuilding America," the inhabitants of the vault seem more intent on killing each other and re-nuking the place.

War...war never changes.

I hate fallout 76. Quite a few people, including me, have been begging Bethesda to put multiplayer in their two big games, be it fallout or elder scrolls, so they could play it co-op with a friend. I mean, how awesome would it be to play Skyrim with a friend? Now they finally release a multiplayer game, and what is it? An mmo-like open world survival fallout with crafting elements...ugh.

And to top it off they decided to slightly tease Elder Scrolls 6, which we all know will at the very least take another 2 years most likely.

Screw you Bethesda. =/

Watching the Rage 2 gameplay few things jumped out at me. A. that horrible exposition would have worked so much better with a female protagonist - not that it'd change the plot or gameplay, but I'm just imaging Jennifer Hale saying those lines and they're just better in every way.
Also it makes me remember Rage 1, and how the card game was the most interesting part of that game. The run-gun shooting was very generic and standard and those spiked boomerangs were instant-kill to just about anything and made fire fights trivial, especially in the combat zone clown TV show thing.

Overall meh. Rage was always trying to be Borderlands had a baby with Fallout, and while it is that, its just an Average C student that has a halfway decent Magic the Gathering deck.

Rage 2 would look like a perfect Fury Road game to me, if they wouldn't go too far into sci-fi aesthetics.
I already gave up on Fallout, so 76 didn't dissapoint me.
DOOM Eternal... more DOOM? Yay?
Skyrim Alexa - oh wow, an actual kinda funny comedy bit. this timeline is getting weirder and weirder.
After Andromeda and Athem, that new sci-fi IP looks more interesting.
TES Blades - pffft... fuck off
oh wow, they actually announced TES VI the absolute madlads. Respect, i didn't expect that.

cathou:

You have to be always online, even if you want to play by yourself. Though the game is obviously designed with coop as the default playstyle in mind.

Kyrian007:

Can't say much about F76 in relation to F4. I just treat Bethesda Fallouts as a separate universe from classics/New Vegas, running on CHIM rules. Otherwise how would you explain Supermutants running around 30 years after the war.

Seth Carter:

Kyrian007:

Because Fallout 3 isn't in West Virginia? Its that bunch of ghost towns off the west edge of the map somewhere that no one in the Capital Waste mentions because a bunch of twits lived there and nuked each other. and were never heard from again.

That only explains it keeping in mind that its just a bunch of online dipshits griefing one another (like it will be 90% of the time). But that doesn't work from an in-world perspective. Even if the "survivors" or whatever did manage to just kill themselves off, eventually ghouls or supermutants or freaking someone would set up in whatever was left. And its close enough to the capital wasteland that it will be odd there's no mention of the decades old whatever it is.

Kyrian007:

Seth Carter:

Kyrian007:

That only explains it keeping in mind that its just a bunch of online dipshits griefing one another (like it will be 90% of the time). But that doesn't work from an in-world perspective. Even if the "survivors" or whatever did manage to just kill themselves off, eventually ghouls or supermutants or freaking someone would set up in whatever was left. And its close enough to the capital wasteland that it will be odd there's no mention of the decades old whatever it is.

Well, that was my best off the cuff joke response.

If you want actual canon, well, uh. Bethesda.

Go look up "Warp in the West" and enjoy the ensuing migraine.

Seth Carter:

Kyrian007:

Seth Carter:

Well, that was my best off the cuff joke response.

If you want actual canon, well, uh. Bethesda.

Go look up "Warp in the West" and enjoy the ensuing migraine.

And it was a good joke, because yes that's mostly what it will be. But compared to some trainwrecks of (especially mmo) storytelling I don't find Bethesda lore all that hard to understand. The Warp was just their way of writing into canon all the possible endings of Daggerfall. I actually liked it, frankly it was better than their solution to New Vegas, which they haven't figured out how to do yet so they haven't followed up at all on that storyline. Someone else mentioned

MrCalavera:
Can't say much about F76 in relation to F4. I just treat Bethesda Fallouts as a separate universe from classics/New Vegas, running on CHIM rules. Otherwise how would you explain Supermutants running around 30 years after the war.

Super easy to explain. A company made FEV and gave it to the government. And either would keep it only in 1 place... because... reasons?

Of course there's several different sources of supermutants. There's probably labs all over the US just waiting to be a new source.

Kyrian007:
And it was a good joke, because yes that's mostly what it will be. But compared to some trainwrecks of (especially mmo) storytelling I don't find Bethesda lore all that hard to understand. The Warp was just their way of writing into canon all the possible endings of Daggerfall. I actually liked it, frankly it was better than their solution to New Vegas, which they haven't figured out how to do yet so they haven't followed up at all on that storyline.

I mean, its easily glossed over with the time skips and geoegraphy jumps. But while they haven't made such a grand title of it, when you do find references to the previous entries, they seem to have taken mostly the same approach. Its either passed over in the vaguest way possible/rendered obsolete (Morrowind's storyline), or all possibilities actually happened even if it makes no sense (Oblivion stuff).

As lore goes, survival games often fall back on being a simulation, or a purgatory state. Which probably works equally well for 76. Everyone could just be in the Vault trapped in some VR hell simulation, doomed to die and come back again. That'd even fit with the whole psychological experiment lore of most of the Vaults.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here