DOOM Eternal Announced

Best announcement this year!. Sequel to game of the gen.

Who knows, it might actually be good this time...

I am thinking of getting both Doom 2016 and Resident Evil 7 when the next Steam Sale comes.

Hawki:

Hey. Doom 2016 wasn't THAT bad. It was just boring after a few hours.

So much red and brown. Can't take anymore of that damn colour pallette, it's too close to my early morning bowel movements. The first game's environment was bland, derivative and repetitive. This isn't giving any better an impression unfortunately.

Xsjadoblayde:
So much red and brown. Can't take anymore of that damn colour pallette, it's too close to my early morning bowel movements. The first game's environment was bland, derivative and repetitive. This isn't giving any better an impression unfortunately.

Dude, you want rainbow colors in a Doom game?

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Hawki:

That's what happens when a developer doesn't bother with pacing. But I guess the appeal of Doom '16 to the hardcore crowd was the non-stop shooty shooty shooty shooty shooty shooty shooty shooty. I got a bit tired of it by the third shooty.

Samtemdo8:

Colours would be nice. Variation at least to create distinct environments that stick in the mind. Wouldn't mind a rainbow or two either. They don't have to be associated with love and kindness now, do they? People are too forgiving when it comes to rainbows, sugar-coating their reputation. What have they ever done for us?

Xsjadoblayde:

Samtemdo8:

Colours would be nice. Variation at least to create distinct environments that stick in the mind. Wouldn't mind a rainbow or two either. They don't have to be associated with love and kindness now, do they? People are too forgiving when it comes to rainbows, sugar-coating their reputation. What have they ever done for us?

No, but your desired presentation is antithetical to Doom. It be like making Mario grimdark.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Hawki:

Didn't say it was bad, but it's by no means good.

Game's got a nice foundation, but it gets repetitive when you're constantly locked in arenas to fight demons. And the story is garbage. Again, there's lots of potential (Argent D'Nur, the Night Sentinels), but it's marred by tonal whiplash, lacklustre conveyance, and the sense that the writers were making it up as they went along.

So, Doom 2016 was adequate enough that I'm interested to see if Doom Eternal can improve on the foundation, but it's by no means a "good" game in itself.

Samtemdo8:
No, but your desired presentation is antithetical to Doom. It be like making Mario grimdark.

You are incorrectly assuming that when I mention colour, I mean Nintendo funhouse Kirby colour. That is not the case at all and is such an exaggeration. It's not an either-or choice on opposite ends of a spectrum. But endless red and brown is so visually boring and makes the experience throughout the game entirely unmemorable like the worst level of any other game stretched into a whole 12 hour slog.

Xsjadoblayde:

Samtemdo8:

You are incorrectly assuming that when I mention colour, I mean Nintendo funhouse Kirby colour. That is not the case at all and is such an exaggeration. It's not an either-or choice on opposite ends of a spectrum. But endless red and brown is so visually boring and makes the experience throughout the game entirely unmemorable like the worst level of any other game stretched into a whole 12 hour slog.

They could do something similar to Warhammer's Chaos Gods and have regions of Hell reflect the wishes of its ruler.

So you could have the very "Khorn" blood, skulls and magma and such we've already seen in Doom before, but maybe add a Nurgle-y region where everything is sickly and slimey with lots of putrid greens, greys and browns. Or a Tzeentchian place of many colored fire and impossible, shifting geometry. I'd also add Slaanesh, but that would be rather hard, cuz everything would be purple bondage gear and bare dicks & vags (Although Doom 16's music is kind of what I imagine Noise Marines blast out of their guitar-guns).

Or take inspiration from the descriptions of Hell from Dante's Inferno. Maybe even the paintings of HIeronymus Bosch.

DOOM 2016 certainly plays smoothly and looks nice, but after about two hours I wondered why I was still playing. It's tough to be entertained by something so one-note for very long anymore, unless I'm really in the mindset for it which almost never happens. Maybe someday I'll finish it but for me there's far too much else out that's more interesting. Maybe if the game didn't rely so much on those stupid melee finishers to gain health back instead of hunting for it like the old games which added more suspense and tension it would've held my interest more. As bad as it might sound I'd still rather play through the original.

Xsjadoblayde:

Samtemdo8:

The original games were pretty much just gray, and thinking of it so was DOOM 3. To be fair though, there is more variety in the 2016 version with red/brown outdoors and gray indoors. I also remember seeing some yellow railings and poly-toned signs to liven things up a bit more.

Having said that though, color schemes were really the least of my issues with any of the DOOM games.

Chimpzy:
They could do something similar to Warhammer's Chaos Gods and have regions of Hell reflect the wishes of its ruler.

So you could have the very "Khorn" blood, skulls and magma and such we've already seen in Doom before, but maybe add a Nurgle-y region where everything is sickly and slimey with lots of putrid greens, greys and browns. Or a Tzeentchian place of many colored fire and impossible, shifting geometry. I'd also add Slaanesh, but that would be rather hard, cuz everything would be purple bondage gear and bare dicks & vags (Although Doom 16's music is kind of what I imagine Noise Marines blast out of their guitar-guns).

Or take inspiration from the descriptions of Hell from Dante's Inferno. Maybe even the paintings of HIeronymus Bosch.

Those are all far more interesting backdrops for shooty giblet action and it wouldn't take much to work an original flair into the designs. Surely something like hell should inspire awe and wonder to traverse, seeing things no human would ever expect in their pitiful lifetimes. I would be very up for multiple giblets there. Even with human environment design, a bit of variety wouldn't hurt too.

hanselthecaretaker:
The original games were pretty much just gray, and thinking of it so was DOOM 3. To be fair though, there is more variety in the 2016 version with red/brown outdoors and gray indoors. I also remember seeing some yellow railings and poly-toned signs to liven things up a bit more.

Having said that though, color schemes were really the least of my issues with any of the DOOM games.

Eh, was being needlessly reductive in a feeble attempt at brevity. The environment as a whole is uninspired and monotonous, but the colour scheme just drives it all home and is the first and sole impression from the new trailer I got.

B-Cell:

Best announcement this year!. Sequel to game of the gen.

But I though the best game was Metro Exodus? What happened to your huge love boner for that game?

Xsjadoblayde:

Doomguy's armor is green.

Wintermute:

Xsjadoblayde:

Doomguy's armor is green.

It's shit green. The shittest of all greens. Doesn't count.

Samtemdo8:

Xsjadoblayde:

Actually yes, that'd be a nice change. Where is it writ that hell has to be black and brown and red? why do the demons care? Half of them are blind, and the other half are still demons. Think a hellknight would refuse to rampage around if its skin was green instead of muddy brown? Or that a bull demon painting bright white would be any less dangerous?

Just saying, it wouldn't be a bad idea to Slaanesh things up with this one.

Silentpony:

Samtemdo8:

Xsjadoblayde:

Actually yes, that'd be a nice change. Where is it writ that hell has to be black and brown and red? why do the demons care? Half of them are blind, and the other half are still demons. Think a hellknight would refuse to rampage around if its skin was green instead of muddy brown? Or that a bull demon painting bright white would be any less dangerous?

Just saying, it wouldn't be a bad idea to Slaanesh things up with this one.

Hellish Black, Brown, and Red is metal, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!!

Well....I'm not sure what to extract from this apart from that Doom Eternal is a thing. Now, I really enjoyed Doom 2016, so I'm happy that there's going to be more Doom. As long as they keep the baseline at the Doom, and maybe fix the disjointed story this time around, then it should be good.

Major Tom:
Well....I'm not sure what to extract from this apart from that Doom Eternal is a thing. Now, I really enjoyed Doom 2016, so I'm happy that there's going to be more Doom. As long as they keep the baseline at the Doom, and maybe fix the disjointed story this time around, then it should be good.

Thats really all you could extract from it. ITs basically just a concept animation.

It appears to be on ruined Earth (or some other place with buildings) was maybe the only real other glimmer.

Seth Carter:

Major Tom:

Thats really all you could extract from it. ITs basically just a concept animation.
It appears to be on ruined Earth (or some other place with buildings) was maybe the only real other glimmer.

Looking at the trailer, it so far seems like DOOM Eternal could be to Doom 2: Hell On Earth as DOOM '16 is to OG Doom.

Which is fine by me. For one, Earth can now actually look like, well, Earth. Although it would be kind of funny if the only things that differentiate DOOM's Phobos base and Eternal's Earth were the skyboxes and a blocky texture that vaguely looks like a bookcase.

I only noticed the tentacles after watching the trailer a second time. I noticed the arachnotron, arch vile and, the Marquess of Hell. I assume it has a higher rank than Baron to get those claws. It could be an Earl, or even a Prince..

Doom 64 is still my favorite. I'm guessing Eternal will be "more of the same" as Doom 2016 and little else.

I'm hoping for some really bizarre and original enemies and bosses this time. Not more versions of the same cast we have seen since the 90's.

I don't care if it has a story or not as long as it is skippable. I don't want to be confined in a tiny room getting expositioned at for several minutes ever again. I liked the story in Doom 2016, to a point. The demon lore stones being more interesting than Olivia's cliched garbage anyways.

I'd love to know who the Doom-Slayer is. The fan theories that hes the same guy from original Doom really intrigue me.

Fieldy409:
I'd love to know who the Doom-Slayer is. The fan theories that hes the same guy from original Doom really intrigue me.

Quake Champions confirmed he's the original Doomguy.

Which I think is completely assinine, but hey, whatever.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here