Sony's conference: What did you think?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

First of all I must confess, I thought the conference was delayed and I must have missed the first "half" or something. I thought it opened with Ghost of Tsushima, which looked pretty incredible and will hopefully play nearly that well also.

I don't really care about more Destiny 2.

RE2 remake looked...ok for the diehard fans?

Nioh 2 will possibly be ok for whoever liked the first.

Death Stranding was once again far too vague to get excited. Intriguing at best, but that was the case originally, so nothing new really. Norman sure seems to be trying to out-walk The Walking Dead that's for sure.

Worst of all though, they close the show with

Anyways, I'll have to catch the first half as I read they showed The Last of Us 2. I wonder what else.

*edit* Oooh ND really doubled down on the Left Behind lovey dovey. But the gameplay is looking pretty outstanding in terms of detail (animation blending, graphics, lighting, etc.) They're really getting close to delivering cutscene quality gameplay.

Literally a cult in church! LMFAO!!!

hanselthecaretaker:

Where was MK11? Red Dead: Redemption 2?? The Last of Us 2???

TLOU 2 was the very first game they showed

NIOH 2!!!! Motherfucking win!

CritialGaming:
NIOH 2!!!! Motherfucking win!

it's more than likely just a timed exclusive like the first Nioh was.

I watched that gameplay trailer for The Last of Us 2 and then turned it off.

There was nothing that was going to top the greatness of LoU2. Whenever you are ready Sony, I have my $60 for you. It's right here, waiting for you.

I'm sure there are other good games in there but except for LoU2 (which gets an exception because LoU was the best game ever), I don't generally pay any attention at all to E3 or any of these things cause roughly about half of these awesome looking games are going to end up sucking because that's how the game industry works it seems.

Except LoU2 of course being the exception that proves the rule as it will be the first game to score an 11/10, something no one thought possible until they released LoU2...

The whole presentation was kinda sloppy. It was cute to have a recreation of that ballroom party in The Last of Us 2 trailer, but it wasn't worth all the hassle, I think.

As for the games, TLoU2 looks about how I imagined it would look. A small fear I had seems to have come true though, in that the game will have stealth shrubbery, which I find promotes lazy level design. Other than that it looks pretty cool. I was curious to how they would handle a 19-year old Ellie in melee combat, but it looks like she'll still be fighting with her knife while using opponents' melee weapons against them. Also seems like there's a dodge move now and the ability to go prone. And there seems to be a mechanic where you need to pull arrow tips out of your body.

And holy shit, RE2 remake coming this january?! Damn. Didn't quite like the look of Claire, but still? holy shit RE2 remake... THIS JANUARY!!!!

Ghost of Tsushima looks freaking gorgeous, though I did spot some jank in the animations. But just the fact that we're getting a big AAA open-world game in feudal Japan is enough to make me happy.

Kudos to Death Stranding for fucking finally showing some gameplay, vague as it might be. But atleast I can start getting a bit excited for this thing now. Also, CG Lea Seydoux eating a grub... aw yeah.

And you know, Spider-Man is Spider-Man.

Awkward presentation, but some fine looking games.

Casual Shinji:
The whole presentation was kinda sloppy. It was cute to have a recreation of that ballroom party in The Last of Us 2 trailer, but it wasn't worth all the hassle, I think.

As for the games, TLoU2 looks about how I imagined it would look. A small fear I had seems to have come true though, in that the game will have stealth shrubbery, which I find promotes lazy level design. Other than that it looks pretty cool. I was curious to how they would handle a 19-year old Ellie in melee combat, but it looks like she'll still be fighting with her knife while using opponents' melee weapons against them. Also seems like there's a dodge move now and the ability to go prone. And there seems to be a mechanic where you need to pull arrow tips out of your body.

And holy shit, RE2 remake coming this january?! Damn. Didn't quite like the look of Claire, but still? holy shit RE2 remake... THIS JANUARY!!!!

Ghost of Tsushima looks freaking gorgeous, though I did spot some jank in the animations. But just the fact that we're getting a big AAA open-world game in feudal Japan is enough to make me happy.

Kudos to Death Stranding for fucking finally showing some gameplay, vague as it might be. But atleast I can start getting a bit excited for this thing now. Also, CG Lea Seydoux eating a grub... aw yeah.

Sorry to burst your bubble bro but it said January 2019

edit: realized I was the idiot here, proceed

Casual Shinji:

Yeah, the worst part of TLoU2 was the far too forgiving stealth looks to be making a return, and upping the ante with UC4 ferns.

hanselthecaretaker:
Yeah, the worst part of TLoU2 was the far too forgiving stealth looks to be making a return, and upping the ante with UC4 ferns.

Well, you can sort of customize that like with the first game I'm sure. Like turning off the visual indicators that show enemies spotting you, the Listen Mode, and the higher the difficulty the sooner you get spotted.

I don't mind stealth shrubbery, but there needs to be some drawback, like vision impairment or maybe moving around russles the leaves which creates sound. But just having you be completely invisible with zero drawback is kinda lame.

Well, the standouts are The Last of Us 2 (obviously) and the Resident Evil 2 remake. Even if RE2 only got a trailer, and TLoU2 seemed a little too... eager for brownie points is all I'm saying. I liked Nioh, good on that sequel. Ghost of Tsushima looks interesting and I put my faith in it, coming from Sucker Punch, ie. the inFAMOUS people. Always nice to see fresh IP as well.

Death Stranding I couldn't care less for but it's good to know it's still a thing and not dead in the water.

Johnny Novgorod:
TLoU2 seemed a little too... eager for brownie points is all I'm saying.

I don't see how this is any more eager or forced than Nate and Elena snuggling up on the couch and smooching in Uncharted 4. It fits the situation, it fits the character.

Only paid attention to REmake 2, and I disliked it completely. Looked like the early portions of the Leon campaign from RE6. Anything that reminds of that dumpster fire is an instant turn off.

And I'm not exaggarating the RE6 comparison, there are shot for shot matching visuals and enemy encounters between the 2. It's astonishing. Similar style, to the point where my memories of the last 2 Leon CGI movies, RE6 and this are now a confusing hodgepodge. Eugh.

Casual Shinji:

Johnny Novgorod:
TLoU2 seemed a little too... eager for brownie points is all I'm saying.

I don't see how this is any more eager or forced than Nate and Elena snuggling up on the couch and smooching in Uncharted 4. It fits the situation, it fits the character.

No, it's fine. Just didn't see the connection with the gameplay footage so it felt a little bit shoehorned is all.
Super stoked for the game.

Ghosts of ... looks cool enough, though also kind of like AC:Origins Japan edition (though the combat seemed a tad more refined, that could've just been contextual animations though). I miss inFamous though. But yeah, as much as I could literally see the Triangles for those counter kills, and the obvious AC stuff, I'd be more inclined to give them the fresh try then pick up AC #19872763

The Last of Us 2 - Seems like they've gone even more into the generic TPSSSPP game that was already a boring genre.

Death Stranding will probably actually exist sometime around Star Citizen releasing.

Nioh 2, another literal nothing trailer announcement. I'd definitely need some gameplay to even consider that trainwreck of a game.

Spider Man will probably be a spider man game.

Johnny Novgorod:

Casual Shinji:

No, it's fine. Just didn't see the connection with the gameplay footage so it felt a little bit shoehorned is all.

My guess is, this is a happy moment contrasted with an awful one. And it's probably connected by that girl, along with a bunch of people at that party, getting killed by the cult dudes, and Ellie's out for blood, which correlates with that first reveal trailer.

Yoshi178:
Literally a cult in church! LMFAO!!!

Yeah, that was not lost on me. Overall the presentation was...eh. Good content in there, but the presentation was wonky due to funky pacing (especially at the beginning) and some odd gimmicks trying to spice things up (like the white guy in Japanese attire playing the flute). It just felt like Sony was trying to be stylish, but it came off as clunky and dumb. When they finally dropped that it was actually okay.

As for me, the personal highlights were Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima and Resident Evil 2.

Casual Shinji:

Johnny Novgorod:

Casual Shinji:

My guess is, this is a happy moment contrasted with an awful one. And it's probably connected by that girl, along with a bunch of people at that party, getting killed by the cult dudes, and Ellie's out for blood, which correlates with that first reveal trailer.

Do we know already if Joel's going to be in the game and to what extent?

Johnny Novgorod:
Do we know already if Joel's going to be in the game and to what extent?

If Ellie's there Joel will be there -- That relationship is pretty much the heart of this franchise. And there's still Joel's "little white lie" that's going to need to be adressed. They said Ellie would be the main playable character, so I assume Joel will fill the companion role this time. And I'm guessing Naughty Dog wants to save his reveal for later, kinda build up that moment to when we finally get to see his face in all its wrinkley, PS4 glory.

Pretty good line-up. Nioh 2 has the potential to be amazing considering how exceptional the combat was in the first game. The new trailer for Death Stranding actually has me excited. Sure, there wasn't a ton of gameplay but still enough to distill where the game's accents lie. Also some kind of scanner device powered by a foetus? Only Kojima could come up with that stuff. :p And RE2 Remake releases in january? Well, that came out of nowhere. Can't say the trailer really blew me away but I'm still glad we finally get to play it.

I was pretty disappointed tbh, but then I foolishly believed that leaked picture from a few weeks back.

The samurai game looks GREAT. Even if it turns into a generic open world game the simple fact that its in Japan elevates it.

Spider-man looks... ok? The combat is something I think I need to experience for myself. They should really just show off even more open world gameplay, these scripted sequences aren't very interesting.

Last of Us looks INCREDIBLY scripted, but then that's Naughty Dogs' shtick, making organic gameplay look so amazing that you can't tell if it was set to happen.

Everything else was eh.

It was good, The Last of Us 2 looks promising as expected, that samurai game looked decent, Spiderman looks pretty good, Resident Evil 2 Remake looks awesome. Let's not forget Death Stranding, while it didn't show us a lot of gameplay elements it still looked great.

I'll give Sony a 7/10.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
It was good, The Last of Us 2 looks promising as expected, that samurai game looked decent, Spiderman looks pretty good, Resident Evil 2 Remake looks awesome. Let's not forget Death Stranding, while it didn't show us a lot of gameplay elements it still looked great.

I'll give Sony a 7/10.

This is Literally the 3rd year in a row Sony have shown Spiderman without giving any indication of a release date. and Resident Evil 2 is also on Xbox and PC.

alot of people have been downtalking Xbox's press conference because alot of the stuff they showed was multiplatform. Same thing with Sony's show lol.

Yoshi178:
This is Literally the 3rd year in a row Sony have shown Spiderman without giving any indication of a release date.

Well then allow me to completely blow your mind... September 7th 2018. This was announced like more than a month ago, by the way.

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:
This is Literally the 3rd year in a row Sony have shown Spiderman without giving any indication of a release date.

Well then allow me to completely blow your mind... September 7th 2018. This was announced like more than a month ago, by the way.

Cool. they sure did announce that quietly though.

As a "deep dive" into their major exclusives, it was an alright show, I suppose. I was happy to see The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding, also a new Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer is always a plus, sort of makes me wish I didn't own a PS4 already so that I could buy the KH3 Special Edition bundle...

Although I don't own a PlayStation VR, I'm intrigued by From Software's VR game.

Not at all expecting it to tie into Bloodborne or other souls games, but still, interested to see where From Software can go in terms of story telling.

Also interested in a Square Enix title that they will be covering on Tuesday during their live event, it might be a new title, or just an old title with more information, but I'm interested nonetheless.

Yoshi178:
Cool. they sure did announce that quietly though.

There was a cover story by Game Informer with tons of videos back in April. If you consider that quietly...

Johnny Novgorod:
Well, the standouts are The Last of Us 2 (obviously) and the Resident Evil 2 remake. Even if RE2 only got a trailer, and TLoU2 seemed a little too... eager for brownie points is all I'm saying.

I would be surprised if they straight up have a lesbian sex scene in TLoU2.

I am excited for RE 2 though. William Birkin is by far the most horrifying RE Monster ever.

REMAKE 2 looks good. and thats it.

TLOU 2 looks like rise of tomb raider but prettier, spiderman looks arkham rip off, death stranding is just shiny CGI trailer with no gameplay or release date.

also dissappointed by remedy new game. was hoping something max payne or alan wake like. we got quantum break spin off starting female character.

Samtemdo8:
William Birkin is by far the most horrifying RE Monster ever.

http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Nemesis-T_Type

But that aside, the RE2 remake...holy shit.

I mean, okay, Leon's new voice is off, as is Claire's appearance, but that aside, wow. This could be to RE2 what ReMake was to RE1.

Hyped for Nioh 2 & Spiderman. In two minds on REmake 2... I don't like the switch to RE4/5/6 over-shoulder gunplay.

Hawki:

Samtemdo8:
William Birkin is by far the most horrifying RE Monster ever.

http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Nemesis-T_Type

But that aside, the RE2 remake...holy shit.

I mean, okay, Leon's new voice is off, as is Claire's appearance, but that aside, wow. This could be to RE2 what ReMake was to RE1.

Nemesis as is is scary, but he's also increadibly overrated...

I'm pretty happy with Sony's conference. I'm excited for Spider-Man, Nioh 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. The Last of Us 2 looks pretty neat. Looks as beautiful as I'd expect from Naughty Dog. I guess I oughta play the first game when I get the chance. Death Stranding also looks pretty interesting, but there isn't much to go on. I'm sure I'll still be confused even after beating the game.

Glad to see more from Kingdom Hearts 3. I've been planning on getting a PS4 pro. I wanted to get one now, but what's another 6 months?

Captain Marvelous:
Glad to see more from Kingdom Hearts 3. I've been planning on getting a PS4 pro. I wanted to get one now, but what's another 6 months?

Depends, you could score a "cheap" PS4 on Black Friday, buy the Kingdom Hearts All-In-One package and play through it's 5 games before Kingdom Hearts 3 launches in January.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0082-CUSA12031_00-COLLECTION300000

For $100, this will get you;
Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days ( as a movie )
Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded ( as a movie )
Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep -A fragmentary passage-
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD
Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover ( a movie )
Kingdom Hearts 3
( And a PS4 theme and a custom Keyblade, because pre-order bonuses are a thing still... bleh )

Looking at this list, they went pretty nutty with their names, lol.

Death Stranding look like it got itself a bag full of metaphors and no place to put them. Also, the amount of intimate rendering for someone eating noisily, bug or not, is the worst thing they could've done to show off emotion-capture face tech. Something personal under the surface has an intensely negative reaction to close up noisy human mastication, I can't explain why, only that it breeds a sudden yet short-lived rage every time, and was not quite expecting that type of emotional reaction at the end of any trailer. Physically cringed and fantasised genocide could be an intended artistic attempt of an elicited observer response, but I'm not sure I'm not just a fucked up freakazoid better off sectioned far away from society. So the benefit of the doubt is reserved.

The rest seems alright. Apart from Spidey's one-liners.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here