Sony's conference: What did you think?

Pages PREV 1 2

bluegate:

Captain Marvelous:
Glad to see more from Kingdom Hearts 3. I've been planning on getting a PS4 pro. I wanted to get one now, but what's another 6 months?

Depends, you could score a "cheap" PS4 on Black Friday, buy the Kingdom Hearts All-In-One package and play through it's 5 games before Kingdom Hearts 3 launches in January.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0082-CUSA12031_00-COLLECTION300000

For $100, this will get you;
Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days ( as a movie )
Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded ( as a movie )
Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep -A fragmentary passage-
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD
Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover ( a movie )
Kingdom Hearts 3
( And a PS4 theme and a custom Keyblade, because pre-order bonuses are a thing still... bleh )

Looking at this list, they went pretty nutty with their names, lol.

Oh, I already own a PS4 (And 1.5,2.5, and 2.8), but it's been a bit shitty lately. Ejecting discs while I'm playing and it feels like it's aiming for when I'm in the middle of a boss fight, the bastard. I've tried to fix it, but that isn't working out. If I'm gonna get a new PS4 I may as well get a pro, but now I'm going to hold off on that for the Kingdom Hearts Limited Edition PS4 Pro. I also intend to get the collectors edition and anything else I can because I am nothing if not a fool when it comes to the things I love.

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:
Cool. they sure did announce that quietly though.

There was a cover story by Game Informer with tons of videos back in April. If you consider that quietly...

i don't even read game informer.

so yeah if that's all they announced it in then this is news to me.

Yoshi178:

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:
Cool. they sure did announce that quietly though.

There was a cover story by Game Informer with tons of videos back in April. If you consider that quietly...

i don't even read game informer.

so yeah if that's all they announced it in then this is news to me.

Pretty much all gaming related news outlets reported on it, that is news outlets that don't exclusively cover Nintendo stuff.

https://kotaku.com/spider-man-ps4-comes-out-september-7-1824314215

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/04/spider-man-ps4-release-date

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/04/marvels-spider-man-has-a-release-date

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/spider-man-ps4-games-release-date-confirmed-for-se/1100-6457921/

https://screenrant.com/spider-man-ps4-release-date/

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/4/17193006/spider-man-ps4-release-date-trailer

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/224427/20180405/spider-man-ps4-release-date-on-sept-7-here-are-the-special-editions-for-the-playstation-4-exclusive.htm

And the list goes on, really, just do a Google search around early April and you'll find hits aplenty.

Casual Shinji:

Johnny Novgorod:
Do we know already if Joel's going to be in the game and to what extent?

If Ellie's there Joel will be there -- That relationship is pretty much the heart of this franchise. And there's still Joel's "little white lie" that's going to need to be adressed. They said Ellie would be the main playable character, so I assume Joel will fill the companion role this time. And I'm guessing Naughty Dog wants to save his reveal for later, kinda build up that moment to when we finally get to see his face in all its wrinkley, PS4 glory.

Regarding that particular white lie... yeah, the final shot from the previous game implies a seed of distrust has been planted between them. I'd hate to see Joel as the antagonist though. Hopefully he takes a page from Uncharted and go into full Sully mode.

Johnny Novgorod:
Regarding that particular white lie... yeah, the final shot from the previous game implies a seed of distrust has been planted between them. I'd hate to see Joel as the antagonist though. Hopefully he takes a page from Uncharted and go into full Sully mode.

From what we've seen so far it's all been Ellie's vendetta against Evil Cult. But Joel's whole thing is that he's a broken man with the end showing him just give in, so if he's just going to be an old mentor it would feel like a cop-out, not to mention out of character.

There is a hint in this trailer though, when the asian guy talks about Ellie's "old man" chewing him out for not properly doing his patrols, and how he only does this when Ellie is part of the team. This indicates that he's still very protective of her. Maybe a bit too much.

TLoU2 trailer was bookended like that on purpose to add an air of unpredictability to Ellie's character. Segueing from the intimate kissing moment to her cutting some dude's throat and all that cat and mouse ultraviolence capped off with her nearly beheading another dude with a machete, then back to that somewhat delirious looking smile she flashes upon being told by her lover that everyone in the room should be afraid of her...was brilliantly twisted.

As for Joel, I think 2's ending will be sort of a reversal of the original, where Ellie has to lie to Joel about something personal. At first I thought maybe he'll be killed off somehow early on, but ND is too deep into character development to waste such a pivotal thread from the last game. Their relationship will of course be strained and laced with tension brought on by their history, but their bond is too great to have either turn on the other. Maybe the revenge Ellie seeks will involve something that happens to Joel, but I think he's going to be around at least until the ending. Maybe a 10% chance of him dying in Ellie's presence.

I doubt he'll be very integral as a gameplay companion though. He's too old to hang with her for the brunt of it, and she needs her space. It would be more interesting if he hung back and worked behind the scenes more, where he played more of a mentor role while letting her roam free to gather her thoughts.

Ghost of Tsushima is the only thing that got me hyped. Might be because it looks like a Kurosawa movie turned game.

hanselthecaretaker:
I doubt he?ll be very integral as a gameplay companion though. He?s too old to hang with her for the brunt of it, and she needs her space. It would be more interesting if he hung back and worked behind the scenes more, where he played more of a mentor role while letting her roam free to gather her thoughts.

They're probably gonna shuffle companions around throughout. There's still the buff chick, who I assume will serve as one, there's those two asian characters from the second trailer, and apparently there'll be a significant role for an actual dog.

Based on the reveal trailer I'm guessing Ellie goes rogue after whatever'll happen to that girl and possibly some other people, and Joel tracks after her trying to bring her back home. I honestly hope this doesn't mean we'll be playing as two different characters, I'm never a big fan of games doing that.

I thought it was a pretty good conference. Much better then Microsoft's or Nintendo's shitty press conferences. Though Death Stranding was weird and disgusting. I can't wait to buy Control though! I love Remedy games!

WolvDragon:
I can't wait to buy Control though! I love Remedy games!

Oh wow, just checked out Control and it looks pretty cool, hopefully it's good.

Btw, TLoU Remastered is half off on PSN right now ($10). I wasn't exactly planning on checking it out but after seeing the sequel's gameplay I was reminded how good it was.

My favorite part of TLoU 2 demo...

(Copy/paste link into new tab if hotlinking is down, right click video to loop)

Goddamn that Spider-Man game makes me giddy.

Beyond that? Eh...Sony has pretty much 'won' this generation of gaming. Good for them.

hanselthecaretaker:
My favorite part of TLoU 2 demo...

(Copy/paste link into new tab if hotlinking is down, right click video to loop)

My favorite part was the following, I love the organic off-the-cuff bits. It's always the little things that take something from good to great IMO.

Tanis:
Goddamn that Spider-Man game makes me giddy.

Yeah, I really can't wait to play Spiderman either.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here