The BIG E3 Round-up

Already everyone, we've now basically seen everything that E3 is going to offer us in general, so I suppose it is time to put it all together and talk about our overall thoughts. The games we're hyped for, the games we are disappointed about and most importantly...who "won".

For me it goes like this:

Nintendo automatically is counted out for two reasons. First of all, I'm not a huge Nintendo fan and I don't really like or care about their in-house franchises. Secondly I am still waiting for all that 3rd party support we were promised at the Switch's launch. Sure we've had indies and ports of games that look and run better on other systems, but I am still waiting for some Switch exclusive titles that really show support from 3rd party AAA developers.

Microsoft....man I feel fucking bad for Microsoft. They have nowhere to go at this point do they? While they did show off some cool shit during their conference, nothing they showed was a killer new exclusive. They can't let go of their bandwagon shit, Gears, Halo, Forza, meh. They did finally give Crackdown 3 a release date, but that game has been in development for so long it can't possibly be the game people are hoping for now. At best it'll be okay, at worse it'll be Duke Nukem. The other games they showed are not exclusives, Cyberpunk 2077 and the FromSoft game for example. Don't worry though guys, they are making another Xbox!

Ubisoft did pretty well I thought. I mean they didn't show off a lot, and the only interesting new title is Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Everything else we knew about and was just expanded information or release dates which is fine. Though since they'd been taking AC in such a new RPG direction, I'd wonder if they would be better off just renaming the series entirely and removing the AC branding from it.

Square-Enix....fuck you Square. Where's FF7 Remake? You promised info at E3 this year. What the fuck happened? How hard is simply remaking a game? All the creative work is done for you, you fucks. Just make the old game pretty, it's really really simple. Otherwise Kingdom Hearts 3 looks fine if you care. Octopath Traveler will hopefully be cool. I'm hyped for Dragon Quest 11. The Quiet Man is meaningless at this point. All-in-all it was okay. I can't fault them for not showing what they don't have (ff7) so all I can say is what was there was just okay.

Bethesda, welp. I don't like Bethesda games so I wont say much here. Elder Scrolls 6 in 2023 might be fun. Another fucking Fallout game, whatever. A Doom Sequel? That's actually pretty cool. Rage 2 will also be fun, I liked the first game even if it ended rather flatly.

Sony won. I'm sorry to say this yet again, I really don't care to be a fanboy about them, but it they would stop killing it I would stop fanboying on them. Last of Us 2, NIOH 2 (Motherfucking yes please, all of that in my face gimme gimme), REmake 2, Kingdom Hearts 3 (if you care, again I'm sure it'll be good), A Fromsoft VR Game, and finally SpiderMan. Now wait a second, I don't nor have I ever thought Spiderman games were good, but fuck me sideways if that gameplay segment-trailer thing didn't make my balls tingle a bit. The combat looks like a evolution of the Arkham system with a bit more dynamic interaction depending on your environment. Cinematics blended well with gameplay as it went back and forth which reminded me on how God of War does it. The fucking game looks good and fuck me if I'm not excited for a spiderman game for once.

What'd you think?

I literally fucking fell asleep during the Spider-Man gameplay.

Other than that, if the RE 2 Remake plays anything like RE 4 I'll buy that shit in a second. Or better yet, an optional first person perspective.
Last of Us 2 looks nice.

Lol at Square not having anything about the FF7 remake. It's going to die, isn't it?

Nintendo? A resounding "meh". I mean, it was smart of them to go all out with the Smash stuff, but I don't like Smash, so Nintendo rates pretty damn low on my scale of "what I care about."

New Doom is rad. I also am pretty interested in Rage 2.

Kingdom Hearts 3? Man, I've waited over a decade ever since everyone assumed that secret ending cutscene in KH2 WAS the trailer for KH3. Square is currently fighting the enormous expectations of fans that have been waiting forever, and the people that have never played a KH game before. Good luck to them, seriously.

The only two games shown I'd consider paying full price for are Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2. The former was a bigger surprise though. Spider-Man would be something I'd like to try just for web slinging around a city, but I think the whole game could grow painfully tedious and annoying. I might download RE2 when it's a free game on +, and while I like the premise I'm not 100% sold on Sekiro. I'm getting really tired of iframes. What I liked about GoT is the dodging seemed to be based around actually physically dodging.

As for the rest, I don't care. I'd watch a Let's Play of the new Tomb Raider but it looks like a very amateurish version of TLoU2 imo. I liked the series better when it focused on platforming and her being snarky and clever.

I really wanted to see a new MK and some RDR2 gameplay. Oh well, then there's Gamescon.

CritialGaming:

Sony won. I'm sorry to say this yet again, I really don't care to be a fanboy about them, but it they would stop killing it I would stop fanboying on them. Last of Us 2, NIOH 2 (Motherfucking yes please, all of that in my face gimme gimme), REmake 2, Kingdom Hearts 3 (if you care, again I'm sure it'll be good), A Fromsoft VR Game, and finally SpiderMan. Now wait a second, I don't nor have I ever thought Spiderman games were good, but fuck me sideways if that gameplay segment-trailer thing didn't make my balls tingle a bit. The combat looks like a evolution of the Arkham system with a bit more dynamic interaction depending on your environment. Cinematics blended well with gameplay as it went back and forth which reminded me on how God of War does it. The fucking game looks good and fuck me if I'm not excited for a spiderman game for once.

What'd you think?

i love how you list Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 2 and Nioh 2 as reasons as to why Sony apparently "won" E3 despite the fact that 2 of those games are confirmed to be multiplatform games and Nioh 2 is more than likely a timed exclusive as well just like first Nioh was.

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

What'd you think?

i love how you list Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 2 ad Nioh 2 as reasons as to why Sony apparently "won" E3 despite the fact that 2 of those games are confirmed to be multiplatform games and Nioh 2 is likely a timed exclusive as well just like first Nioh was.

It's not really about exclusives as much as what the conference had to offer. Sony showed off Nioh 2, RE2, and Kingdom Hearts' best E3 trailer. Their presentation was just better than the rest.

I'd have to give the presentation award to Ubisoft. Which is ironic given I have almost no interest in most of what they offered, but at least they had actual things to show for prettymuch everything, and not 50 seconds of concept work with a title and nebulous/no release dates.

BG&E was probably the most interesting looking title (Disclaimer : Never played the original, so don't start ranting at me about how its some betrayal).

Of the console crew. Nintendo didn't really bring much new to the table. Microsoft secured a few big reveals, but they aren't exclusives and it seemed more like just padding their runtime after they covered their usual core lineup. Sony's trudging on with the same hype they've been flogging for awhile. Ghosts looks kind of interesting, but also straight out of the Arkham/AC playbook.

Awkwardness ensues. From Andrew WK being a baffling spectacle, to Sony's weird attempt at a stageshow, to that poor bastard trying to get people to pretend to care about For Honor during Ubisofts.

I missed EAs (because I had to scrape my gums or something equally productive to listening to EA) which I heard was pretty bad. So the trainwreck award goes to Bethesda. Besides their madcap port spamming to the point of trying to burn themselves for ports while announcing more ports. There was the RAGE demo, which was weirdly uncontextualized and thereby just kind of bunch of crap on screen. Then the Fallout76 spiel in which they managed to generate confusion and outrage from their existing audience AND their target audience (despite getting a relatively warm reception from the echo chamber of the actual audience).

You know, I have a sneaking suspicion Sony is holding out new exclussive anouncements till after they reveal the PS5. This E3 was them just going 'look at these exclussive games you already know exist, that you probably are gonna buy anyway. Here's some gameplay.' without putting a focus on anything really new. When they usually tend to have something new to show off. But who knows, maybe they really don't.

I won't say Sony won though. Their presentation was way too sloppy for that, and their games were ones we already knew existed. I'd say Microsoft "won" if I look at the conferences objectively. Still don't mean they got shit on that system though.

Captain Marvelous:

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

What'd you think?

i love how you list Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 2 ad Nioh 2 as reasons as to why Sony apparently "won" E3 despite the fact that 2 of those games are confirmed to be multiplatform games and Nioh 2 is likely a timed exclusive as well just like first Nioh was.

It's not really about exclusives as much as what the conference had to offer. Sony showed off Nioh 2, RE2, and Kingdom Hearts' best E3 trailer. Their presentation was just better than the rest.

So? Microsoft also showed Kingdom Hearts 3 as well as Fallout 76 and Battletoads.

What's your point?

Yoshi178:

So? Microsoft also showed Kingdom Hearts 3 as well as Fallout 76 and Battletoads.

What's your point?

It's the overall personal value I attached to a given conference. Sony had the most "value" of games I was interested/excited for. Sony offered more with Kingdom Hearts 3, and I don't give two fucks about fallout or battletoads, therefore Microsoft was irrelevant.

I know you love to hate me because I don't like Nintendo, but at least try to keep your points logical.

EA: Glorious shit show. I expected nothing and got less. I'm just hoping Anthem isn't as shitty as they make it out to be.

Bethesda: Kinda dissappointing. Any interest in 76 faded fast and Elder Scrolls 6 is ages away.Starfield seems interesting, but I've got nothing to go on and that probably isn't releasing any time soon. The only thing that really caught my interest was Rage 2, which seems to be a fun mix of Bulletstorm and Borderlands.

Square Enix: Also dissappoiting, but mercifully short. It was missing a lot of the announcments I cared about, Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFVII chief among them, but Shadow of the Tomb Raider looked pretty neat.

Microsoft: Pretty okay, I guess. They had the most games, but not much gameplay to go with them. They made a lot of announcements and tried to push their live-service-thing hard. All in all it was better than the rest, but still kinda limp. Cyberpunk looked pretty neat, though.

Ubisoft: Was really good. They showed off a lot of games and gave some neat gameplay. I may not like the direction Assassin's Creed is currently going in, but I still enjoyed my time with Origins. Beyond Good and Evil 2 and Starlink look pretty cool.

Sony: Continues to be great. Sony showed off the games that I actually cared about, but that was always garunteed anyway. I was kinda hoping for more from Microsoft, but oh well. Anyway, Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Kingdom Hearts 3 (Got some Assassin's Creed IV mixed in with my Kingdom Hearts and I am loving it!), Trover Saves the Universe, Spider-Man, and I'm kinda interested in Control and Death Stranding. Sony's only fault is that they didn't really reveal anything new, but their presentation was still solid. I'd rather concentrate on things I can get my hands on within the next year, instead of teasing me for the next 5.

Nintendo: Was also pretty neat. Sadly, I'm not much of a Smash Bros guy, so no real excitement there, but I can't help but feel excited for those who actually like it. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate looks like every Smash players wet dream. Deamon X Machina looks like a lot of fun and I love me some Mechs. Fire Emblem looks fantstic! I'm glad they added grunt soldiers to the combat cinematics. Looking forward to finally getting my hands on Octopath Traveler. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee look like fun and a good reason to actually play Go.

Overall: Sony wins it with Nintendo coming close second and Ubisoft third. Sony just had more of what I cared about than any other conference. Nintendo also presented some neat stuff, but I don't have nearly the same level of investment in their properties than I do Sony's. Ubisoft is third, but the gap between it and Nintendo is large. Beyond Good and Evil looks amazing and I can't wait to play, but that and Starlink aren't quite enough.

CritialGaming:
at least try to keep your points logical.

that's rich coming from the guy who's claiming Sony won E3 because they showed a bunch of games you can play on other platforms.

I liked ubisoft's press conference the best. Those guys know how to put on a good show. Not the most games at all, but I'm starting to feel the hype for BG&E2. (though it seems to be some time off)

Microsoft's presentation was cool. Lots of games, though Phil Spencer felt kind of

The new Smash looks good and that's all I remember from Nintendo's presentation. They mentioned some cool games at the start but more attention could be given to that.

PC gamer's one was just boring and bad. That first game, 'satisfactory' looked cool, but the rest was shit. And boy, was the presentation bad. Next year just ask ubisoft for help. Or Sega since they had the best part of this conference by announcing some PC ports.

I really couldn't care less who "won" E3, it's about having games that look fresh and not who's making/publishing them. What I mainly care about is either new games I didn't know about or first gameplay from games that only got like teaser announcements beforehand. I don't really count stuff like even TLOU2 or Fallout 76 or say something like RDR2 getting gameplay reveals. We know how those games are going to play for the most part. TLOU2 will hinge on story, which we won't know the quality of that until we actually fully play and finish the game ourselves. Sorta the same with Cyberpunk, CDPR even said it's been over 2077 days since they announced plans for the game and all there is now is a trailer. It's fine that they take their time but the game is something we've known about for years so it's not really something new; let me know when you got gameplay and somewhat of a release window at least.

Anyway, so far my biggest takeaways were gameplay of Shadows Die Twice and Ghost of Tsushima, and that Babylon game announcement by Platinum/Square. Feel free to list some more NEW things that outside of those that I missed because I've just been checking out the E3 stuff that has popped up on my Youtube feed for the most part.

I do really want to play Spiderman, I'm just in the mood for that type of game now. I realize the game really isn't new and we got major info/gameplay a bit ago but at least it's coming out in a few months. The web-slinging should be a unique gameplay feeling over similar games. And it seems like the game will finally add to what we know of as Arkham combat with much more aerial dynamics to it and more environmental/object integration. Last time Arkham combat "evolved" was Arkham City with the beatdowns and quick-use gadgets and even the next best Arkham combat system, Middle-earth games, are basically reskinned Batman games with the same freaking moves (like the beatdowns and specials). I feel Spiderman is going to hinge on mission quality and how well Insomniac can basically pull a Rocksteady in regards to fully developing/integrating the world and characters in a meaningful way. Basically, the gameplay and elements seem to be spot-on for a good Spiderman game but the quality of the glue holding everything together will determine whether the game is special or just a fun Spidey game.

Yoshi178:
/

CritialGaming:
/

hey you two calm down, we may have disagreements but at least we can all agree that the EA conference were shit

Damn, i wanted to start a thread where everyone just picks their favorite announcment per presentation, but i guess this thread already covers that.

So, fuck it, here are my "best" games:
EA - Unravel Two/Sea of Solitude
MS - Devil May Cry V/Cyberpunk 2077
Bethesda - Starfield
Devolver - Metal Wolf Chaos
Square Enix - Babylon's Fall
Ubisoft - AC: Odyssey
PC Gaming - HITMAN 2
Sony - Ghost of Tsushima
Nintendo - Octopath Traveler

And about general impressions of each con:
EA: SPORTS. When you sacrifice half of your conference to dudes playing FIFA, so you viewership fall by 75%. Weak opening to E3 if i've seen one.
MS was pretty good tho. One might even claim they "won" if cares about this nonsense. But yeah, maybe its because i watched it after EA's, but it felt as a significant improvement.
Bethesda convinced me i'm gonna skip next Fallout as well, probably. But i didn't expect TESVI, good jarb. And i wonder what that space game will be.
Devolver was more or less the same as last year, but with games. So that's a plus.
Missed most of SE con, so can't really say more about it.
Ubisoft felt like style over substance, and the only thing i was hoping for(Splinter Cell) didn't happen.
PC Gaming rid of the snoozefest talk show formula, and spend more time on games than on hardware, so that's an improvement.
Sony - we've seen most of this stuff already. Ghost of Tsushima looks stunning, still.
Nintendo was mostly about new Smash, and while it had an impressive roster, fighting games do nothing for me... so that leaves this retro looking JRPG.

For what I'm reading in this thread, it seems that Gamers lost. I can't wait for the next year!

tf2godz:

Yoshi178:
/

CritialGaming:
/

hey you two calm down, we may have disagreements but at least we can all agree that the EA conference were shit

i didn't watch EA. i just automatically assumed they would be shit like they are every year. lol

Yoshi178:

tf2godz:

Yoshi178:
/

CritialGaming:
/

i didn't watch EA. i just automatically assumed they would be shit like they are every year. lol

you chose wisely

CaitSeith:
For what I'm reading in this thread, it seems that Gamers lost. I can't wait for the next year!

IDK. Activizzard seemingly vanished off the face of the earth or something, Net positive?

(They have a booth, so no)

Seth Carter:

CaitSeith:

IDK. Activizzard seemingly vanished off the face of the earth or something, Net positive?

Wouldn't surprise me if they pull a Valve and just sit on what they have forever after. Overwatch will pay for Blizzard's employees' college funds for generations.

I've never been a fan of "who won E3' because it really all boils down to personal opinion and taste.

Like, MS had a solid showing, but there's nothing there for me to care enough because it's either multi-platform, or also available on PC. Sony had some stuffs that interested me, and so did EA and Ubisoft.

Lots of good stuff that came out of E3 this year that I'm pretty stoked about, like Assassin's Creed: Odyssey because that looks fucking legit and it makes me so damn happy.

I do think we can all agree that Ubisoft had a fabulous opening, that shit was amazing.

Johnny Novgorod:

Seth Carter:

CaitSeith:

Wouldn't surprise me if they pull a Valve and just sit on what they have forever after. Overwatch will pay for Blizzard's employees' college funds for generations.

They do have upcoming CoD (of course), Destiny 2's expansion (though that stuck its head up during Sony), Spyro remaster. And are the publishers for Shadows Die Twice (which is apparently completely offline singleplayer, making Activisions invovlement even more baffling (its also not one of their licenses, which is where they usually have singleplayer offerings)

This was one of the better E3's in my opinion. Atleast as far as game announcements go. Sekiro, RE2 Remake and Nioh 2 are definite buys for me. Death Stranding as well though I fear this game will see yet another E3 next year. Still, it was cool to atleast see the game outside it's artsy concept phase(as far as that is possible with Kojima).

Miyazaki is my hero and most favorite game developer of all time so I'm a bit bummed that I don't feel more excitement for Sekiro eventhough I don't doubt the game will still be terrific. Hopefully we get to see some lengthier gameplay soon.

Seth Carter:

Activision was never listed as having a press conference. So on the Blizzard side, we can expect their big announcements at BlizzCon. On the Activision side, I doubt they have enough to show to justify their own conference.

Ea was a disaster. Why'd they have to bring back command and conquer only to shit on it? Anthem looks kinda good, I like the suits and the world looks good, but its probably just going to be another destiny.

Haven't seen the full Microsoft conference yet, but the new halo and gears of war look interesting, still not enough for me to get an xbone yet.

square enix was short and to the point, nothing i was super interested in other than the babylon fall game.

Ubisoft was just me. Again more of nothing i was super interested in other than the new assassins creed, first thoughts of that and the pirate game were 'are they just reskinning black flag? and The Division 2. Might end up getting it, if it still seems interesting by then.

Sony had some pretty interesting stuff. Kinda interested in the spider-man game, getting Batman:arkahm series vibes from it. Ghosts of tsushima looks pretty good, since its by sucker punch and i loved infamous, i'm probably going to get it. Death stranding is raising more questions than it answers, looks fascinating though. The last of us Part II looked good. The destiny trailer made me consider getting back into destiny 2, though from what rumors I've heard, there's going to be a content paywall of sorts with that expansion.

Bethesda was a personal favorite. Starfield and elder scrolls 6 were a nice surprise. The skyrim alexa skit was entertaining. Rage 2 looked great, much better than the first. And fallout 76. Where to begin? The diversity of locations looks great, the new settlement system is going to be good, interested in how they're going to be including the folklore monsters into the world. It'll be interesting playing it with friends, definitely going to be getting it even though its probably going to require an online connection.

Haven't seen the Nintendo conference yet but i wasn't particularly interested in their conference to begin with

This E3 was amazing

because everyone hates EA and saw through their shit

and everything was gay

so it was a win-win for me

saw this on facebook lol

It was alright. Everyone had at least one game that appealed to me. Except EA.

I am glad Ellie doesn't look like Ellen Page anymore. That's become a really weird obsession for videogame female character face models. As if it's some idolised pedestal of beauty or some shit.

That is all.

Probably.

Nina Struthers should be added to the Smash Bros roster.

Xsjadoblayde:
I am glad Ellie doesn't look like Ellen Page anymore. That's become a really weird obsession for videogame female character face models. As if it's some idolised pedestal of beauty or some shit.

If anything she's starting to look like Ashley Johson, her voice actress.

Xsjadoblayde:

It's odd though. In some shots I can buy Ellie's new face as an older version of the original Ellen Page-y Ellie, and in some she looks like a different person to me. Not a bad thing, just weird. Might just be me.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here