Does Cyberpunk 2077's FPS Only view ruin it for you?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

There seems to be a bit of a polarized reception regarding new gameplay details of Cyberpunk 2077 game having an FPS view only unless it's during cutscenes or when you're driving. Since this is the first CDPR game to have a character creator, it would make sense to have a third person option right?
https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/12/17456556/cyberpunk-2077-first-details-from-cd-projekt-red

To be honest, yeah it's kinda of a bummer not to have a third person mode. I prefer it over first person. But does it sap all interest I have in the game? Of course not! Every game will have something you won't like, but that's fine, we'll adapt to it. Though CDPR is known for listening to their fans, so maybe if enough people voice their displeasure it'll change?

Thoughts Escapists?

it certainly is a major knock against it imo

I'll have to see more about it's gameplay to see if it's a total dealbreaker or not

I mean, deus ex was pretty good and this is practically that at this point so I don't see much of a problem.

Well, 1st-person and 3rd-person shooting require minor, but rather different set of mechanics IMO. It's why you don't see shooters that come out with an option to change the camera view. Sure, you occasionally see camera switching in a Fallout or Hitman game, but those games aren't played for their shooting mechanics.

And this is reminding me of the whole custom character vs set character debate The Witcher 3 had. Which I thought was pointless, I still prefer a set character over a custom one when it comes to story focused rpgs, but where it's perfectly fine for sand box games with light on story like Skyrim.

Having both would be the best option. And not require that much more work in coding.

Especially if it contains shooting, but elsewise as well, to avoid the infuriating Over-the-Shoulder cam.

For pure shooters I only play in first person view, when in vehicles (of any kind) I only play in third person view.
For adventure/action games I can use both. Notable aberrations in which makes me grumble are many Space sims, which insists on cockpit view only (except the glorious Freelancer) and adventure/action games with Over-the-Should cam as only third person view option.

No, it actually makes it better since I prefer first person view.

Yeah, honestly I prefer the 1st person view. The option to go 3rd person would be nice, but for all the time I spend making a character in things like Fallout and Elder Scrolls, I spend maybe 1% of the time actually looking at said character.

Does it really matter, I'd get being upset if you expected an isometric camera view or something but to me the difference between first and third person isnt that big a deal, its basically just whether the camera is in your head or a few metres behind it.

Theres is something about 3rd person shooters i dislike. But i dont know what it is. It's only if the weapon are guns though.

I do enjoy 3rd person bow mechanics ( Horizon ZD) , or melee weapons ( Dark souls), but there is something about shooting in 3rd person i dislike ( Gears, metal gear Solid etc..)

So to answer your question, this is actually better for me personally.

I'm fine with it. It doesn't matter what kind of viewpoint a dev uses for a game, so long as they make it work.

Since I have no idea what the mechanics of the game itself are, no?

Assuming its kind of a freeform ARPG (I think?), it sure could be an issue with melee combat or stealth or whatever. First person stealth and melee stuff has had relatively few good outings. But if its mostly guns, its probably fine.

Half and half. It's kind of a weird choice since half the fun of cyberpunk is gluing a chainsaw into your arm and being all blinged out in tech implant and looking cool but I can live with it.

I was not interested in it. but having first person now im kinda interested.

B-Cell:

Of course you are.

We still know zip about this game so how are we supposed to know what perspective is the best for it?

Good, as far as shooters go, I can't think of a single third person shooter that felt better in its core shooting mechanics than good first person shooters.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

B-Cell:

Of course you are.

Easy there, cowboy. No need to be rude.

As a PC Gamer, I prefer First Person.

No. There is an article/interview at eurogamer that explains the game's concepts a lot. It seems the noir cyberpunk atmosphere is in the game as well but it's changed up with daylight scenes for variation. Which is probably a really good idea for such a long game. Similarly they probably have good reason putting the game in first person. There is no doubt these are talented developers.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-13-we-watched-50-minutes-of-uncut-cyberpunk-2077-gameplay-and-interviewed-cd-projekt-about-it

Well if they do the FPS as good as they did the third person RPG. Then Cyberpunk 2077 will put Fallout, Deus Ex, and Elder Scrolls to shame now wont it. Bethesda might not like the new kid in town coming in and showing them up.

While I'm not a fan of FPS, I will say it is probably a good thing in this case because FPS does make shooting a lot easier and if they kept it 3rd person people would just say they made The Witcher 3 again with a cyberpunk theme over it. This way there is no mistaking it as a brand new game from the studio.

Actually it makes me more interested. Not because I prefer one perspective over another, but simply because they chose to go that route despite making a name for themselves creating a series of third person RPG's. Which means that they had a damn good reason to go with first person perspective, despite probably knowing that a lot of people wouldn't be happy about it.

Also, Deus Ex is from first person perspective and it's still the best cyberpunk RPG to date. So there's that.

CritialGaming:
Well if they do the FPS as good as they did the third person RPG. Then Cyberpunk 2077 will put Fallout, Deus Ex, and Elder Scrolls to shame now wont it. Bethesda might not like the new kid in town coming in and showing them up.

No way. The original Deus Ex is best game of all time bar none. and HR was also masterpiece.

I dont think CDPR can even match HR let alone original game. this is just pure open world game with driving that can get very boring ala witcher 3.

Also kinda dissapointing to see romance system in this game. I mean i have been Deus Ex fan and there was not any romance and nudity there. its not some medival fantasy RPG.

can anyone imagine romance in Deus Ex? LOL!

Oh boy! I can at long last bring at least something resembling my beloved CP2020 toon to life and...

Oh.

Ohhhhhh...

You're not getting off on the right foot with me, Red...

B-Cell:

Also kinda dissapointing to see romance system in this game.

Yea, because noir stories NEVER featured romances.

Way to show you're fucking clueless about the source material.

Cyberpunk 2020 was BIG into noir-flavored romance, the hot times and bad breakups kind of thing. The sort where you hate the girl/boy your soul is handcuffed to, you want to put him/her out of your life, but you never can. Or maybe it's the girl/boy that saw you for what you could be past all the chrome and guns, that you lost to senseless violence, and no matter how many boostergangers or corps you kill, you can never bring her back...

Smithnikov:

B-Cell:

Also kinda dissapointing to see romance system in this game.

Way to show you're fucking clueless about the source material.

Cyberpunk 2020 was BIG into noir-flavored romance, the hot times and bad breakups kind of thing. The sort where you hate the girl/boy your soul is handcuffed to, you want to put him/her out of your life, but you never can. Or maybe it's the girl/boy that saw you for what you could be past all the chrome and guns, that you lost to senseless violence, and no matter how many boostergangers or corps you kill, you can never bring her back...

I dont want these in my games. I want immersion, better level design, better story telling, good combat.

not waste resources on some fake romance that break immersion. what if Deus Ex and System shock 2 had romance system? it would work? no way. and they were excellent shooter/RPG hybrid. or some of the best games of all time.

B-Cell:

I dont want these in my games.

Tough shit, given the source material, it fits right in. I GM'd and played Cyberpunk 2020 since the 90's, I know it's style pretty well.

I want immersion, better level design, better story telling, good combat.

Then a noir game ain't for you.

not waste resources on some fake romance that break immersion.

Assuming they keep to the tropes and do it right, it ENHANCES the immersion for me. Again, CP2020 had romance as a frequent and intense trop.

what if Deus Ex

Deus Ex it could have worked if they did it right.

and System shock 2 had romance system?

System Shock 2 was as much a survival horror as a sci fi game. It wouldn't have fit.

Does the word TONE or STYLE mean anything to you?

System Shock 2 wasn't set in a city heavily influenced by cyberpunk/noir storytelling. Night City, however, is very much a gigantic trope cornucopia.

No.
I don't see a big deal in not being able too watch the back of your character for majority of the game, if you still can see them when it's important.
Gameplay wise, what was the better pick in a game that featured mostly sword combat, might not be the obvious choice when you focus on gunplay.

Adam Jensen:

Also, Deus Ex is from first person perspective and it's still the best cyberpunk RPG to date. So there's that.

Took this exactly from my mouth.
Also, in TES and Fallout, which both offer you choice between each perspective, i found myself using first person view more.

Potjeslatinist:
We still know zip about this game so how are we supposed to know what perspective is the best for it?

For some people either view is a big no-no, that might disqualify a game.

B-Cell:

can anyone imagine romance in Deus Ex? LOL!

Umm... Human Revolution starts with protag trying to save his romantic interest. And said interest is a major plot device for the remaining part of the game.

B-Cell:
I dont want these in my games. I want immersion, better level design, better story telling, good combat.

not waste resources on some fake romance that break immersion. what if Deus Ex and System shock 2 had romance system? it would work? no way. and they were excellent shooter/RPG hybrid. or some of the best games of all time.

Don't play the game then. Problem solved. As for me, if CDPR let us name our character, I'm gonna make a female and name her B-Cell and romance EVERYONE.

MrCalavera:
No.

Umm... Human Revolution starts with protag trying to save his romantic interest. And said interest is a major plot device for the remaining part of the game.

but human revolution didnot had any nudity or sex scene. nor adam jensen can have romance with anyone. nor there was any romance option.

It was a game that emphasize on stealth/RPG mechanics and most of time you are exploring and completing quest. thats how you make a game.

what warren spector did 20 years ago with Deus Ex 1 was it changed the gaming landscape forever. even after 20 years Deus Ex is still very much talk about. regarded as greatest PC game of all time by many.

CDPR doesnot even have 1/4th of talent that legend warren spector has.

not saying cyberpunk will be bad. i like sci fi setting and first person games. but lot of things like open world driving worries me.

While I would love the option to toggle viewpoint like in Skyrim, of the two I'm so glad they went with first-person. Truthfully, even later in Skyrim I found I barely use third person. FP is so much more immersive and engaging. Deus Ex pulled it off just fine in the same way, first person in gameplay, third person in cutscenes (and even in cover/takedown animations).

While there's undoubtedly something to be said for being able to see the player character, the immersion afforded by the FP PoV cannot be beaten and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Walking, jumping, crouching and navigating a neon lit, futuristic cyberpunk city will be an amazing experience. Judging by the predicted size of the world, the depth of the role-playing and the focus on being single-player focused means this will be a rewarding, immersive world we'll want to spend more and more time in. Learning the buildings, alleys, vendors, NPCs, roads and shortcuts....so exciting.

Ultimately, the difference between Points of View is that in one, our player character is performing the actions where in the other, WE are the character and it's us that's performing the actions. Not to mention how superior it is for shooter gameplay, of which I expect there will be a fair amount. DE: Mankind Divided had a wonderful, if small district of Prague to explore. Wandering its streets and builds was a real joy and Night City will be on a scale to put that to shame. Rejoice the FP PoV and get ready to jack in baby.

While a character creation system does lend itself to third person so I can see the fruits of my labours, it is by no means a deal breaker if I get an awesome cyberpunk adventure.

I'm interested in it no matter what, but I really wish it was based on Shadowrun, I want more of that universe. I know its similar but no magic or other races.

its definitely disappointing. I really dislike first person, and I often skip such games if they involve anything besides pure shooting (Dying Light for instance - first person platforming is pure design fail in my book). I'll still most likely play CP2077, but its gone from my most hyped game by a mile to one cautious interested in.

I'll let you know when I get my greasy murderous paws on it, Inquisitor. First person view breeds intimacy with all the grimy wall and floor textures, with other details like whatever the hell those objects on that guy's desk are supposed be. In an intriguing cyberpunk world, these pointless details matter and the closer my judgy eyeballs can get to them, the better.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here