New trailer for Call of Cthulhu game 2018.

Alright Lovecraft fanboys, you better impress me with your cosmic horror and your story telling with this game because I still think Lovecraft is overrated.

Looks like walking simulator.

B-Cell:

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

One of the hallmarks of the Cthulhu Mythos is that humanity is entirely irrelevant to the cosmic horrors that exist in the universe. You might be able to fight some human cultists, maybe some of the lowest rank mooks, but the real eldritch abominations as so far beyond human ability and comprehension that just knowing about them will turn someone into a madly gibbering wreck. If you wanted to translate that into a game, you'd want to spend a lot of time building an atmosphere of uneasiness and powerlessness turning into dread and madness.

Running around shooting great old ones in the many-tentacled face pretty much runs directly counter to being Lovecraftian. You can escape them and delay them at great cost, but you can't win.

Samtemdo8:

Alright Lovecraft fanboys, you better impress me with your cosmic horror and your story telling with this game because I still think Lovecraft is overrated.

Lovecraft fanboys had nothing to do with making this game and no one has played it; so don't blame us if you don't get impressed by it.

Meh. It'll probably be boring, buggy, and not very scary

Silentpony:

Because this game looks too good to be true that its doubtful it will release bug-free?

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

Because this game looks too good to be true that its doubtful it will release bug-free?

Because Lovecraft is very hard to translate outside of books. Just by dint of game mechanics, we know there's a way through almost any area.
In Lovecraft stories the main character of the story dies I'd say 50%. In a game we know there will be more levels after this space monster of the moment, so a lot of the fear is mitigated knowing there's a programmed way to progress. In the stories Bill could be walking down the street, take a wrong turn and end up face-to-face with a Squid man eating a corpse and that's the end of the story. In a game we know we're only like 1 hour in so we know there's a way out of this situation.

Lovecraft is all about fear of the unknown, space gods and monsters around every corner waiting to kill you. That fear doesn't translate well into a game with a mandated 10 hour long story.

Also Devs love to cut corners and let players be free testers, so it'll be filled with bugs.

B-Cell:

Still looks like more of an interesting walking simulator than Death Stranding seems to be.

There're a number of walking simulators this year. When did they become cool again?

Developed by Cyanide Studios, and published by Focus Interactive. They have made some strategy games, and Styx: Shards of Darkness. They also helped with Space Hulk: Deathwing (a Warhammer 40,000 FPS). I can't say with certainty if they'll be able to pull it off or not.

Oh, wait. This is based on the Call of Cthulhu pen and paper RPG. Does that mean it will have its mechanics?

Chimpzy:

B-Cell:

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

One of the hallmarks of the Cthulhu Mythos is that humanity is entirely irrelevant to the cosmic horrors that exist in the universe. You might be able to fight some human cultists, maybe some of the lowest rank mooks, but the real eldritch abominations as so far beyond human ability and comprehension that just knowing about them will turn someone into a madly gibbering wreck. If you wanted to translate that into a game, you'd want to spend a lot of time building an atmosphere of uneasiness and powerlessness turning into dread and madness.

Running around shooting great old ones in the many-tentacled face pretty much runs directly counter to being Lovecraftian. You can escape them and delay them at great cost, but you can't win.

It actually looking good. i just wish it had some combat.

Silentpony:

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

Because Lovecraft is very hard to translate outside of books. Just by dint of game mechanics, we know there's a way through almost any area.
In Lovecraft stories the main character of the story dies I'd say 50%. In a game we know there will be more levels after this space monster of the moment, so a lot of the fear is mitigated knowing there's a programmed way to progress. In the stories Bill could be walking down the street, take a wrong turn and end up face-to-face with a Squid man eating a corpse and that's the end of the story. In a game we know we're only like 1 hour in so we know there's a way out of this situation.

Lovecraft is all about fear of the unknown, space gods and monsters around every corner waiting to kill you. That fear doesn't translate well into a game with a mandated 10 hour long story.

Also Devs love to cut corners and let players be free testers, so it'll be filled with bugs.

Isn't it actually better if the everyday player tests a game to see if its broken?

Samtemdo8:
SNIP

No? Because they still buy the game, meaning they're paying for the opportunity to do what the Devs should have already done. It'd be like a movie theater selling you a broom with your ticket so you can sweep the theater until your heart's content.
Its very anti consumer to expect them to find bugs for you.

Catnip1024:

B-Cell:

Still looks like more of an interesting walking simulator than Death Stranding seems to be.

There're a number of walking simulators this year. When did they become cool again?

I don't know if they ever became cool but I don't find it an inherently dirty word either. There are some really good games that could be called "Walking simulators" if only because they choose to focus on story/atmosphere/character without attempting to cram in some awful combat/stealth mechanic that does nothing other then make the game longer.

I'd rather a game know what it wants to do and fucking own it rather then try to half-ass a bunch of stuff because it's on a checklist.

That being said, hopefully the thing is good but CoC doesn't have a good track record for Computer gaming. Dark Corners of the Earth had some great ideas, but was pretty awful in execution(Yes, let's pretend this an FPS now, despite the fact it's not built like an FPS so the combat sucks and making it an FPS sucks out all the horror that was there when you had to avoid the monsters).

Silentpony:

The hitch with horror games in general really.

An hour to setup atmosphere, the potentially actual scary introduction encounter. Then 4-8 hours of padding repeating that somehow while trying to justify why the protagonist isn't dead or escaping already.

Silentpony:

It isn't fear of the unknown. It's fear of the incomprehensible, because once the unknown becomes known in the stories, it still remains enigmatic or abstract. When the unknown is revealed, it also reveals the protagonist's inability to comprehend it and he can't deal with it.

That gets at odds with how games work.

CaitSeith:

Silentpony:

It isn't fear of the unknown. It's fear of the incomprehensible, because once the unknown becomes known in the stories, it still remains enigmatic or abstract. When the unknown is revealed, it also reveals the protagonist's inability to comprehend it and he can't deal with it.

That gets at odds with how games work.

Hence the whole claim "SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK, EMBRACE MADNESS!!!"

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or