Is the Switch another Wii U?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

No third party support, and long software droughts. Looks like another Wii U to me.

It has much more variety in good games selection than the Wii U though (and the Wii U didn't have games from Bethesda or From Software, so that's definitely different).

I'd say if sales begin to halt (And they eventually will, maybe soon) then sure. For now The Switch is selling ok, but lack of third party support will definately hurt it in the long run. It doesn't help that it's an underpowered console.

"Long software droughts."

Eh. Wat? It had a pretty good staggered release when it came out with plenty of good 1st party games, with plenty more on the horizon. Is there a bit of a dry spot in summer? Yeah, but that's not a Nintendo thing. That's a games industry thing. There's a reason the term "Summer Games Drought" exists.

Also define 3rd party. If you mean indie game support, heck no, the Switch is easily the best Nintendo console ever made when it comes to supporting indie games, with many indie games doing even better than they did on Steam. The majority of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Moon downloads were for the Switch. If you mean 3rd party AAA games, then yeah, there's no getting around it doesn't have the same robust support that other consoles, though it's slowly getting a trickle of games that were never on previous Nintendo platforms, making it a milestone for Nintendo.

Honestly it's easily the most varied console Nintendo has ever released...minus the last of Virtual Console support, that's one field where they REALLY dropped the fucking ball.

WolvDragon:
I'd say if sales begin to halt (And they eventually will, maybe soon) then sure. For now The Switch is selling ok, but lack of third party support will definately hurt it in the long run. It doesn't help that it's an underpowered console.

The power of the hardware has never been the deciding factor when it comes to buying consoles. The PS2 was the weakest console of its generation and it blew the competition out of the water. Same with the Wii.

It has pretty good 3rd party support, it's almost all port of older gen but I don't think switch owner really care. It'll never have strong 3rd party support because treated as a console it's super weak and can't compete with the other console, but treated as a portable (which is what it is) games are much more expansive to develop than the last mobile gen.

But port are easy to do so there'll be tons of those which will make it easy to justify for more casual and the hardcore will buy it for Nintendo game.

It surely looks better than what WiiU had.

The Wii U landed basically dead on arrival due to a marketing campaign that utterly failed to clarify it was even a new console and not some weird peripheral for a Wii or simply a tablet. And it was a battery hogging mess that literally hurt you to play it cause of the controller gimmick that even Nintendo first party couldn't seem to find much actual use for.

It would be decidedly hard to have a repeat performance of that.

erttheking:
"Long software droughts."

Eh. Wat? It had a pretty good staggered release when it came out with plenty of good 1st party games, with plenty more on the horizon. Is there a bit of a dry spot in summer? Yeah, but that's not a Nintendo thing. That's a games industry thing. There's a reason the term "Summer Games Drought" exists.

Also define 3rd party. If you mean indie game support, heck no, the Switch is easily the best Nintendo console ever made when it comes to supporting indie games, with many indie games doing even better than they did on Steam. The majority of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Moon downloads were for the Switch. If you mean 3rd party AAA games, then yeah, there's no getting around it doesn't have the same robust support that other consoles, though it's slowly getting a trickle of games that were never on previous Nintendo platforms, making it a milestone for Nintendo.

Honestly it's easily the most varied console Nintendo has ever released...minus the last of Virtual Console support, that's one field where they REALLY dropped the fucking ball.

WolvDragon:

The power of the hardware has never been the deciding factor when it comes to buying consoles. The PS2 was the weakest console of its generation and it blew the competition out of the water. Same with the Wii.

I'm not saying it's a direct factor into the Wii U comparisons, It hurts being underpowered because almost no third party support will sacrifice resources to make a game with a console with low tech compared to the majority selling consoles.

VG_Addict:
No third party support, and long software droughts.

....What alternate universe are you peering into?

Well, obviously it isn't since, you know........ people are actually buying it.

I don't see how having ports of last gen games and indie games that nobody but hipsters care about means that the Switch has better third party support.

Well the Switch has already sold almost double the amount of Wii U's so....no?

VG_Addict:
I don't see how having ports of last gen games and indie games that nobody but hipsters care about means that the Switch has better third party support.

could say the same thing about PS4 and Xbox One lol

Seth Carter:
The Wii U landed basically dead on arrival due to a marketing campaign that utterly failed to clarify it was even a new console and not some weird peripheral for a Wii or simply a tablet. And it was a battery hogging mess that literally hurt you to play it cause of the controller gimmick that even Nintendo first party couldn't seem to find much actual use for.

It would be decidedly hard to have a repeat performance of that.

Gamers knew what the Wii U was and they chose not to buy it. Now those gamers beg for full priced Wii U ports.

VG_Addict:

Oh yeah, Stardew Valley is so very much a hipster game.

I'm sorry, did the word hipster change lately?

It already outsold the Wii U, so no.

VG_Addict:

Dragon Ball FighterZ, Doom, Wolfenstein II, Fortnite, Disgaea 1 Complete, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Starlink, Warriors Orochi 4, and Octopath Traveler are all current gen, heck Octopath is an exclusive. It's far stronger 3rd party support, mostly because it's the hot new toy.

Aiddon:

VG_Addict:

Dragon Ball FighterZ, Doom, Wolfenstein II, Fortnite, Disgaea 1 Complete, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Starlink, Warriors Orochi 4, and Octopath Traveler are all current gen, heck Octopath is an exclusive. It's far stronger 3rd party support, mostly because it's the hot new toy.

Don't forget Daemon x Machina.

I'm a guy who bought pretty much every game on the WiiU and hate the fact that it failed (despite the fact it was the only console of its generation even worth owning), and despite not owning a Switch yet I can't imagine how someone could think the Switch is at the WiiU's level.

Zontar:
I'm a guy who bought pretty much every game on the WiiU and hate the fact that it failed (despite the fact it was the only console of its generation even worth owning), and despite not owning a Switch yet I can't imagine how someone could think the Switch is at the WiiU's level.

Well, this thread isn't about your poor imagination. The Switch's library is made up of Wii U ports, a few exclusives and many indie games that many played elsewhere first and probably for cheaper.

Some people want to talk about the Switch's sales. I am not Nintendo and don't really give a shit about that and I think much of it comes down to hype. Hype sells shit whether it's worth buying or not and means little to people who just want to play games.

Yoshi178:

Oh man, how did I forget to do that? That looks awesome.

Mothro:

Zontar:

Well, this thread isn't about your poor imagination. The Switch's library is made up of Wii U ports, a few exclusives and many indie games that many played elsewhere first and probably for cheaper.

Some people want to talk about the Switch's sales. I am not Nintendo and don't really give a shit about that and I think much of it comes down to hype. Hype sells shit whether it's worth buying or not and means little to people who just want to play games.

Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Splatoon 2, Arms, Kirby Star Allies and Mario x Rabbids Kingdom, are all out now, with Octopath Traveler, Mario Tenis Aces on the way (as in the very near future, within a month) and with Smash Bros Ultimate, Super Mario Party, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again all coming out in the more distant future, but still in 2018. All Switch exclusives that weren't on the Wii U.

I think you and I have a different definition of "a few."

And considering how the Wii U had a lot of good games that plenty of people never got to play, I fail to see how a large amount of Wii U ports is anything but a virtue. S[eaking as someone who "just wants to play games."

erttheking:

Mothro:

Zontar:

Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Splatoon 2, Arms, Kirby Star Allies and Mario x Rabbids Kingdom, are all out now, with Octopath Traveler, Mario Tenis Aces on the way (as in the very near future, within a month) and with Smash Bros Ultimate, Super Mario Party, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again all coming out in the more distant future, but still in 2018. All Switch exclusives that weren't on the Wii U.

And considering how the Wii U had a lot of good games that plenty of people never got to play, I fail to see how a large amount of Wii U ports is anything but a virtue. S[eaking as someone who "just wants to play games."

Breath of the Wild isn't a Switch exclusive, neither is Fire Emblem Warriors. Wii U ports are more of a credit to the Wii U than the Switch. The Wii U had some great games that were good enough to be ported to the hype machine.

Mothro:

erttheking:

Mothro:

Breath of the Wild isn't a Switch exclusive, neither is Fire Emblem Warriors. Wii U ports are more of a credit to the Wii U than the Switch. The Wii U had some great games that were good enough to be ported to the hype machine.

All the games I list and you find fault with two. Well you sure showed me. And let's not act like the 3DS version of Fire Emblem Warriors is comparable to the Switch version. It's objectively inferior.

Mothro:

Breath of the Wild isn't a Switch exclusive

Nintendo makes BOTW for Wii U: "Wii U is a shit console. that's why no one bought the Wii U! Why the fuck would you buy a Wii U?"

Nintendo makes BOTW for Switch: "LOL it's just a port that everyone already played on their Wii U's!"

but i thought no one bought the Wii U?....

I mean, the Switch is set to outsell the Xbox1 in total by next time this year.

Is our argument really that it's doing bad because it doesn't have as much shovelware coming out for it as other consoles?

Call it a hype machine if you want, but the hype's been holding steady for over a year now, and their release schedule is same as ever.

I, for one, am glad that the actually great games that the WiiU had are making their way over to the Switch to find more of an audience. Probably the only thing I'll ever agree with Zontar on.

Aiddon:

Yoshi178:

My friend pedro look actually pretty fun too if you watched the devolver digital e3 conference.

also Ark, Fifa 19, NBA 2k19, V-Rally 4, megaman 11. seems that wolfenstein youngblook will com out on switch too...

cathou:

Aiddon:

Yoshi178:

My friend pedro look actually pretty fun too if you watched the devolver digital e3 conference.

also Ark, Fifa 19, NBA 2k19, V-Rally 4, megaman 11. seems that wolfenstein youngblook will com out on switch too...

Yeah, that Devolver Digital presser was hilarious. And Wolfenstein Youngblood does have a Switch listing on Gamestop. Bethesda has actually been doing pretty well on the Switch (gee, it's almost like they carved out a niche on it!) and I'll gladly play Switch version of their FPS titles because gyro controls are just so much better than analog sticks

I think the Switch is a lot better of a console than the Wii U because at least, you aren't forced to purchase some pseudo-tablet. I would've bought a Wii U if I could've just bought the "main" system along with a real controller. At least the Switch is a real tablet. I also see the Switch possibly becoming Nintendo's new portable system so I see it at least getting good portable game support if not all portable game support. The Switch just isn't going to get major 3rd-party support of your core PC/console games though. Like just about all these games everyone is talking about from E3 ain't going to get Switch releases. I see the Switch getting standard Nintendo support plus decent-good portable and indie support.

Meiam:
but treated as a portable (which is what it is) games are much more expansive to develop than the last mobile gen

Well, developers don't have to make the graphics as pretty as possible. They can make a great game with 3DS level graphics if they want. Most PC games nowadays rarely push graphics, it's your standard AAA games that are the best looking games now; no one's making a PC exclusive game like Crysis anymore. Most "PC" games now are pretty looking isometric games that you may not even need a video card to play.

Casual Shinji:
Well, obviously it isn't since, you know........ people are actually buying it.

I think the TC is mainly referring AAA 3rd-party games like most of the stuff shown at E3 ain't going to be getting Switch releases even if sales literally surpass PS4 tonight as we saw the Wii sell the most during its gen while getting no 3rd-party support. Like I said above, I think the Switch will definitely get more support from portable games, indie games, and mid-tier games, but it ain't going to get many AAA games.

Yoshi178:

VG_Addict:

PS4/Xbone also get non-hipster games and non-ports last-gen games as well...

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

VG_Addict:

Do enlighten us all on what exactly classifies as a hipster game and what doesn't?

and weren't you just telling me in the Switch Online thread to try 3rd Party games other than just the big popular AAA 3rd Party games? such as XCom? you might even say "hipster" 3rd Party games LMFAO!

No. It's the Switch.

Seriously though. If you have a switch and are itching for some new games, I recommend the slightly lesser known Steamworld Dig 2 and Golf Story. Mario+Rabbids kingdom battle is pretty alright, though if you have already played Xcom or the like it might be a bit easy and shallow for your liking. I think it can be a good introduction to something like that genre, however.

VG_Addict:

So you mean the Switch lacks the games that you specifically like. Unfortunate, but that's a you thing.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Do enlighten us all on what exactly classifies as a hipster game and what doesn't?

and weren't you just telling me in the Switch Online thread to try 3rd Party games other than just the big popular AAA 3rd Party games? such as XCom? you might even say "hipster" 3rd Party games LMFAO!

Again, you didn't get my point of PS4/Xbone getting EVERY game regardless of being hipster or non-hipster, last-gen port/remaster or not. You know, the conversation went Addict says "Switch only gets hipster indie games and last-gen ports", you reply "So does PS4/Xbone", and I say "PS4/Xbone get everything else too", which you can't claim for the Switch and that was my entire point.

I couldn't care less about what game is "hipster" or not, I care about systems having as many games to choose from as possible, which the Switch is in last place in that regard. I'll check out any game I think looks interesting whether it's considered hipster or god forbid "Ess-Jay-Dubya" by the Internet zeitgeist because that type of labeling is asinine.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Again, you didn't get my point of PS4/Xbone getting EVERY game regardless of being hipster or non-hipster, last-gen port/remaster or not. You know, the conversation went Addict says "Switch only gets hipster indie games and last-gen ports", you reply "So does PS4/Xbone", and I say "PS4/Xbone get everything else too", which you can't claim for the Switch and that was my entire point.

I couldn't care less about what game is "hipster" or not, I care about systems having as many games to choose from as possible, which the Switch is in last place in that regard. I'll check out any game I think looks interesting whether it's considered hipster or god forbid "Ess-Jay-Dubya" by the Internet zeitgeist because that type of labeling is asinine.

it must be sad only owning 1 console.

One of the waitresses at my place of work was playing Fortnite on her Switch during her lunch break today. If they can get her to play like that then I don't think Nintendo has much to worry about.

The Switch doesn't fit anywhere in my gaming life but I have to admit it is doing a lot better than I expected it would do.

Yoshi178:
it must be sad only owning 1 console.

it must be sad only playing Nintendo and Microsoft 1st-party games that are only the same like 10 games over and over again.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here