Nintendo switch voice chat actually exist now ?

As you probably know by now, Fortnite is now available on switch. Fortine have voice chat built in. So i guess people were expecting to get voice chat by the infamous nintendo smart phone app...

But no. Apparently, you can just... plug a headset with microphone into your switch, and you can not only voice chat with your friend in fortnite, but also, since the game is multiplatforms (well except for ps4) you can voice chat with your friends that are playing on their xbox !

do you think that now we see that it's very possible to have voice chat on the switch, Nintendo will be presured to get rid of the phone app, and code proper voice chat in their own game ?

Maybe. Way I see it, either they make voice chat a native function of the Switch, or they keep that dumb smart phone app for 1st party games but allow other to implement their own solutions (basically Fortnite's case). Hard to tell which it'll be, Nintendo can be obtusely stubborn at times.

Wholly depends on whether Nintendo has enough resources left on the Switch to implement a native voice chat function.

I don't know how resources on the Switch are allocated, but if there is no room for their engineers to create system-level party and voice chat support, then there's little they can do...

bluegate:
if there is no room for their engineers to create system-level party and voice chat support, then there's little they can do...

That's another possibility, yes.

I remember once reading a report that the Switch reserves 1 CPU core and 1GB RAM (out of a total of 4 for both) for its OS. That doesn't tell us much about how much of those resources the OS actually needs though.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here