Mix and Match, Gaming Edition: Give an IP you like to a new Developer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nothing that special of a concept. Think about a game you like and think about how a new developer would make it shine.

I love, love, LOVE the game Godhand. It's ugly as sin, but there was something that fully customizing your Gene that no game has come close to replicating. It's a shame that it sold so poorly. We got a release on the ps3. That's about as best as we're ever going to do.

But if I could, I would give the Godhand to From Software.

It would be hard for From Software to bring the same humor, but they are wildly imaginative with level design. Not to mention Enemy design. And for the most part, there are no other designers around that are as slavish with their animations than From.

Certainly, From can add lore to add crafting and more special powers that would make so many more playthroughs than you can get with just Dark Souls. And hell, somehow put it into the Shadowrun universe if you want to make my perfect game.

But that's my idea. Godhand and From Software seem like a really good fit. Any ideas on your end?

Take Elders Scrolls, and give it to P-Studio. It would be interesting to see a spin-off of that universe with an anime-like stylization and a more character-centric story.

A 40k Grey Knight game by From Software would be great.

OH! Give Bioshock to the guys who made Roller Coaster Tycoon! That's be great!

Hmm...ID Software should probably have Halo. And Bungie can have GI Joe. And Bethesda can have...Metroid. And Nintendo should try Starcraft.

Halo to Platinum. I want to play as a Spartan that can do more than shoot guns and throw grenades.

Punching and kicking, jumping and flipping, sick takedown animations. The closest we have are assassinations and hijacks, I want to see shit like that for normal attacks.

Let's see... Elder Scrolls to EA, lets see how bad of a dumpster fire we get. Call of Duty and Legacy of Kain to CD Projekt Red because challenges for the former, and I just really love story and characters of the latter. Mass Effect to SquareEnix. and to round it off let's send Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy to Ubisoft, and Pokemon to Activision.

I'd take every single IP away from EA, Activision, and Ubisoft and auction them off to Nintendo, CD-Project Red, and From Software. ...and maybe Square-Enix

None of these are particuarly serious suggestions, but okay, I'll play:

-Give Advance Wars to Chucklefish (because they're at least trying to capture its style of turn-based strategy, while Nintendo lets the IP rot)

-Give Army Men to The Coalition (because Army Men is a dead IP that I've love to see revived, albiet with "good" games. So, give it to the Coalition, have them make it in the style of Gears of War (in terms of gameplay), couple it with Army Men whackiness (Big World! Ants! Killer robots!), and voila

-Give Castlevania to whoever's making Bloodstained (not really a Castlevania fan, but might as well do something with the IP)

-Give Command and Conquer to...I dunno, anyone but EA. :(

-Give Destiny to Blizzard (while this isn't something that needs to happen, I could see this working. Destiny 2's already on battle.net, the Destiny universe easily falls inside Blizzard's purview (sci-fi/sci-fa/fantasy), and they've got plenty of experience with MMOs and ARPGs. Plus, Cayde can show up in Heroes of the Storm, so hey, everyone wins)

-Give Golden Sun to Monolith Soft (while I love both Xenoblade and Golden Sun, Xenoblade is going strong, Golden Sun...isn't. Since Monolith is an in-house studio for Nintendo now (I think?), and they clearly know their JRPGs, I'd love to see them take a crack at reviving/continuing Golden Sun, especially since, y'know...that cliffhanger...)

-Give Half-Life to...anyone?

-Give Metal Gear to Kojima (while I stopped after MGS3, I figure if anyone does anything with the series, it should be Kojima or bust)

-Give Sonic the Hedgehog to Nintendo (as grievous as an insult as that might be, I'd be willing to bear it. #Make Sonic great again

-Give Spyro the Dragon back to Insomniac (again, not much of a Spyro fan, but I'd rather see him as Spyro than a Skylander (even if the Skylanders cartoon is at least decent))

I can think of others (certainly IPs I'd love to see something done with), but if the criteria is handing an IP from one developer to another, these are the ones off the top of my head.

Hawki:
-Give Metal Gear to Kojima (while I stopped after MGS3, I figure if anyone does anything with the series, it should be Kojima or bust)

Better yet, give every Konami franchise to anyone that isn't Konami. Save them from languishing with a publisher that doesn't seem to want to be part of the industry that put it on the map.

Does it have to be a current developer?

Cause I'd love to see Destiny by 1998-2002ish Raven Software(Hexen, Jedi Knight), but current Raven Software is just a name on Call of duty Studio C or whatever..

Mass Effect -> Obsidian. Let them make it a sci-fi RPG game again.
Dragon Age -> CDPR. If they can make The Witcher's world so immersive, they can do the same with Ferelden. Alternatively, I'd make a new studio with everyone who worked at BW Edmonton pre-EA and let them do it.
World of Darkness -> I don't care who as long as someone does it.
Half Life 3 -> Whoever made Titanfall 2.
Deus Ex & Thief -> Warren Spector (Otherside Entertainment).
Warcraft IV - Firaxis. The definitive RTS of the naughties in the hands of the definitively best strategy game devs ever.
Alpha Protocol -> Don't care, give it back to Obsidian, as long as someone pries it away from Sega.

Seth Carter:
Does it have to be a current developer?

Cause I'd love to see Destiny by 1998-2002ish Raven Software(Hexen, Jedi Knight), but current Raven Software is just a name on Call of duty Studio C or whatever..

Such a shame where Raven ended up. They made two of the best SW games ever and are relegated to making map DLCs for CoD now. EA have the blueprints for making the best SW games, and they are simply incapable of it.

Take Prototype and give it to Rockstar. Those insane and grotesque super powers coupled with Rockstar's signature over-the-topness and in a beautifully detailed GTA-like city?? Yes, please.

Mass Effect and Dragon Age to CD Projeckt Red, I don't trust Bioware to do those franchises justice.

And also don't give Darksiders to Yoko Taro and Platinum games, they'll ruin it.

Give Fallout to anyone but Bethesda. I feel like their approach appeals less and less to me, with each installment. It doesn't have to be Obsidian! Go crazy, experiment.

Give Okami "back" to Platinum.
And I want Konami to relinquish Silent Hill but I don't know who the hell could pull it off.

Johnny Novgorod:
And I want Konami to relinquish Silent Hill but I don't know who the hell could pull it off.

Did Okami end on a sequel hook or something? I always got the impression it was pretty self-contained, never did get far on it myself because of the eye bleed visuals.

Xprimentyl:
Take Prototype and give it to Rockstar. Those insane and grotesque super powers coupled with Rockstar?s signature over-the-topness and in a beautifully detailed GTA-like city?? Yes, please.

Wouldn't Violition be a better suit for this? Prototype was more like Saints Row than GTA

Give the Gundam Breaker series to Omega Force. I know they've already made Gundam games, but I want Gundam Breaker, specifically, made with Koei's repetitive, but fun combat style. Especially after the dumpster fire that is New Gundam Breaker. Or maybe just give it back to Crafts & Meister

...Give Dynasy Warriors to From Software. I'd love to see a savage and brutally difficult game set during China's warring states. I guess a better option would be Team Ninja, since they seem to make a more action oriented souls game, but I think either way it would work.

MrCalavera:
Give Fallout to anyone but Bethesda. I feel like their approach appeals less and less to me, with each installment. It doesn't have to be Obsidian! Go crazy, experiment.

I think the problem really is that Bethesda can't write.

They're good at creating engaging gameplay loops, which is why I actually sort of enjoy Fallout 4 (vastly, vastly more than Fallout 3 which is just bad) but they cannot write stories, in fact I don't even think they bother trying. What they do is they brainstorm a bunch of ideas at random, and then each idea becomes a quest, character or location.

But what this results in, essentially, is a world in which every narrative component feels self-contained and in which there is no overlap. Fallout 3 has some of the worst examples. To a player, it's incredibly obvious that Fawkes could go into the chamber at the end of the main quest. It's obvious because he's already done something very similar like two missions earlier. But I don't think the people who wrote that part of the same storyline were even in the same room as those who wrote the final quest, so the developers didn't notice when they were writing this story that this might be a problem. Sure, they patched in some clumsy dialogue where Fawkes refuses because of destiny or some shit, but it's bullshit and everyone knew it.

It also means there's very little actual roleplaying, because the purpose of dialogue isn't to learn about or define our character but to get us to the next point in the checklist of one-line story ideas that came out of the hat this week.

IT doesn't help that a lot of the writing in Fallout 4, even the actual important writing involving likeable characters with good voice acting and the better quests, relies extremely heavily on a basic formula of "what if X but Y".

What if there was a detective, but he was a robot!
What if disneyworld, but taken over by evil raiders!
What if there were muskets, but they shot lasers!

Because again, these ideas sound cool/funny/clever when expressed as a one-sentence summary, which is how Bethesda writes.

And it's sad, because I actually prefer the themes of Fallout 4 to those of Fallout: New Vegas. The institute and the idea of putting synthetic humans in Fallout are a really fascinating idea, but the game never really does anything good with them. All the west-coast Fallout antagonists, the Master in Fallout 1, the Enclave in Fallout 2 and the Legion in Fallout: New Vegas, had a comprehensible philosophy behind them. It was a bad philosophy, but that was why you were fighting it. In Fallout 3 and 4 the villains never even really explain themselves. I sided with the Institute on my first playthrough, and I still have no real idea of what their plan is or what they stand for beyond science and being dicks to people.

So yeah, give Fallout to someone else. Or failing that, at least let someone else continue the West Coast setting.

Give F-Zero to Retro Studios

Seth Carter:

Johnny Novgorod:

Did Okami end on a sequel hook or something? I always got the impression it was pretty self-contained, never did get far on it myself because of the eye bleed visuals.

Technically there is already a sequel to Okami, albeit on the DS and therefore unplayed and irrelevant to me.
My beef has more to do with Capcom shutting down Clover Studio and putting Viewtiful Joe, God Hand and Okami on cryofreeze.

KingsGambit:

World of Darkness -> I don't care who as long as someone does it.

Paradox is doing something with it atm.

Johnny Novgorod:

Technically there is already a sequel to Okami, albeit on the DS and therefore unplayed and irrelevant to me.

it was relevant enough for you to acknowledge its existence lol.

Give all of EA's to THQNordic or Bethesdha.

I want to see Omega Force/Koei Tecmo do a Warriors game with Sonic characters.

Wayforward should do a sequel to Final Fight.

WolvDragon:
Mass Effect and Dragon Age to CD Projeckt Red, I don't trust Bioware to do those franchises justice.

I don't trust Bioware to do anything good anymore.

Marvel vs capcom. Take it arcsys. Just dont makr it likr DBFZ. Ktnxbai

Dragon age. CDprojekt red it's yours.

Double post.

Give the X-Wing series back to Lawrence Holland

Give Dark Souls to Traveller's Tales, the guys who make the Lego games. Because nothing will annoy the hardcore "git gud" types more than having Dark Souls turned into a cutesy world with simple puzzles where death has no real consequence

Give Breath of Fire to Atlus. Any company that makes good RPGs to be honest, but that was the one that jumped to the top of my list.

Give Wild Arms to Nippon Ichi. While XF didn't sell so well, that game combined with the battle systems in 4 and 5 give the impression that a more tactics game oriented shift is the way to go for that series, and WA has always been a series with a fair bit of JRPG quirkiness running in it to balance out the serious moments.

Give PUBG to Epic Games

Palindromemordnilap:
Give Dark Souls to Traveller's Tales, the guys who make the Lego games. Because nothing will annoy the hardcore "git gud" types more than having Dark Souls turned into a cutesy world with simple puzzles where death has no real consequence

Lego Dark Souls, that'd be hilarious. I'd love to see that.

Canadamus Prime:

Lego Dark Souls, that'd be hilarious. I'd love to see that.

Seconded. They already have tons of medieval designs to use, and fighting the smiling glow in the dark ghosts in the catacombs would be hilarious.

Palindromemordnilap:

I'd also love that- along with a Lego ARMA

trunkage:

Xprimentyl:
Take Prototype and give it to Rockstar. Those insane and grotesque super powers coupled with Rockstar?s signature over-the-topness and in a beautifully detailed GTA-like city?? Yes, please.

Wouldn't Violition be a better suit for this? Prototype was more like Saints Row than GTA

I can see why you'd say that, but I like Rockstar's attention to quality; their open worlds are more fleshed out and feel more organic, real and alive than Volition's Saints Row's which are pretty much stock "grids with cars and pedestrians." Also, as much as I like the over-the-topness of Prototype's abilities, I'd like to see a more austere treatment of the franchise, i.e.: "The Darkness," "Dark Sector" or maybe like the anime "Akira" wherein the increasing power is a sacrificing of self, a loss of control, and I'd trust Rockstar to realize that with due gravitas.

Actually, fuck Rockstar; take Prototype and give it to *drumroll*....

Playdead

With a AAA budget and Playdead's nigh savant-like abilities to make incredibly dark and brilliant games, Prototype would be right at home.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here