Multiplayer games for you and your partner?

I got a nice big TV to play my consoles on the couch, and now that I have someone in my life that I spend more time with, I wanna game with her on these systems. Problem is that I'm not 100% sure where to start. I have a list of multiplayer games I'll put in a list at the end of this post, but, I wanna know if you guys have any good suggestions? The consoles I have are: Switch, Wii, Wii U, Gamecube, N64, PS2, Xbox 360, PS4, and PC (Which I have yet to figure out how to move from my monitors to my TV without fucking my monitor resolution and window placements). We both also have a 3DS, so options are there for this system as well. We both like adventure, action, RPG/JRPG games the most.

What are some good multiplayer games you'd recommend? We're both iffy on multiplayer FPS games (Mostly of the military style, good FPS suggestions are still appreciated), sports games, puzzle games, fighting games, and strategy games. With that in mind, hit me with what you've got!

depends. what kind of games is she into?

the Switch has a heavy emphasis on couch multiplayer games with stuff like Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Pokemon Let's Go, ARMS, Mario Party, Pokken Tournament, Kirby Star allies, 1-2 Switch & Yoshi.

its more a matter of whether your girlfriend likes that kind of stuff or not.

PS4 and Xbox One have couch co-op stuff too like Fighting games and Racing games but i find they're more primarily focused on online gaming rather than Couch multiplayer.

Yoshi178:
Snip

Funny enough, I still have yet to 100% clarify on what she likes. I just know we have somewhat similar dislikes in some cases, or differences in stuff we do like (I like Rune Factory 4's combat while she likes the farming for example). That's kinda why I'm shot-gunning this approach to see if something I haven't considered comes up, rather than diminish the list too far on the outset

Arcade titles are always great, things like Chariot and Overcooked.

Be sure you guys can handle a bit of friction though.

:D Baulder's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2

My gf and I have been playing the first game when she comes over on Gamecube, and it's been a blast so far.

Just uh...make sure to let your girlfriend pick up AT MINIMUM 60% of the gold and loot. Unless you like conflict. Had a good solid 15 minute debate on that while we were playing.

You also got a 50/50 chance for picking the dwarf and running around in nothing but his underwear for the first hour of the game to be funny, or else she'll just roll your eyes and wonder why she agreed to this.

You've got a lot of great couch multiplayer titles in there already, so I'm just gonna plug some gaps for you-

Get Perfect Dark (or The World is Not Enough if you want something a little less hardcore) for an N64 arena shooter like Goldeneye but with bots that can join you). Instead of Jet Force Gemini's rudimentary multiplayer, get the more refined Conker's Bad Fur Day, which does 3rd person multiplayer minigames better. Banjo Tooie also has some good ones, on either N64 or xbox live arcade.

Get Mashed on the PS2- it's the best damn couch car multiplayer game this side of Mario Kart. Make sure it's the PS2/xbox version though, not the Xbox 360 version which isn't as good. If Burnout Revenge is a hit, you can safely get Burnout 3 Takedown as well. I'd also Highly recommend Blur- it's basically Mario kart meets Need for Speed.

On the Gamecube, follow up Timesplitters 2 with Timesplitters Future Perfect- perhaps the final, ultimate dynamic crosshair console multiplayer shooter. If you like Star Wars Rogue Leader, Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike allows you to play the whole Rogue Leader campaign in co-op. On that note, Star Wars Battlefront 1 and II (on the PS2) are both excellent couch splitscreen games, particularly II which allows you to take each other on in an ongoing campaign across the whole galaxy.

Can't really help you with anything more modern than that, since multiplayer games have generally thrown splitscreen away since then.

Squilookle:
I'd also Highly recommend Blur- it's basically Mario kart meets Need for Speed.

I keep trying to find that game at a decent price ;3; It looks so neat.

Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike allows you to play the whole Rogue Leader campaign in co-op

Crap, I thought the original Rogue Leader had that! Whoops.

Good suggestions all around! Keep em coming guys

Lovers in a dangerous spacetime? It's cute and fun and great for cooperative bonding. And most importantly, a bargain. It should be on one of the modern platforms.

Your Creator:
Lovers in a dangerous spacetime? It's cute and fun and great for cooperative bonding. And most importantly, a bargain. It should be on one of the modern platforms.

100% forgot about this one, thanks!

Obligatory Portal 2 name drop.
I played all three Borderlands games with my girlfriend, if co-op splitscreen is your thing.

I would say that decision making narrative games like LA Noire, Until Dawn, Walking Dead, Detroit:Become Human are pretty underrated for this kind of play.

Sharing the decision making can be fun.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here