Who?s played Mafia 3?

It's the main *free* game on PSN this month. I've heard good and bad things. Definitely checking it out though as I liked the previous two games. They seem more focused and have better gameplay imo than GTA, and this one looks no different.

I'll probably have a look seeing as it's "free", but it never really appealed to me to be fair.

Good story, decent gameplay loop. Waaaaay too much busywork to get through the main quest. I played it for quite a bit (20+ hours as I recall) and at that point I wasn't even halfway through the story. The idea about liberating districts is good on paper, but it is way too padded in the actual game. Still, for free it is definitely worth a play.

I loved the story, could be a pretty decent gangster flick by itself and the facial animations and expressions are amazing(my guess is 90% of the game's budget went into this). Music is absolutely fantastic. Gunplay is pretty good. Driving, also, pretty good. The 60's era in which it's set came across as really believable with the locations and use of colours adding to the sense of place(not to mention the random little NPC chats and talk on the radio that addresses issues that lived at the time).

I agree it's quite repetitive, but it didn't bother me as much as the gameplay is fun and side missions can largely be skipped. The main missions have some awesome setpieces. Liberating the districts can easily be rushed through.

What bothered me most when I initially played the game were the awful skyboxes that looked like they were PS1 quality. This being an open-world game it actually became quite noticeable, though I did play the game at release so maybe it's since been patched.

Other than that though I really enjoyed the game and espescially the story. Now that it's free on PS+ it's pretty much a no-brainer for anyone who hasn't played it and likes GTA clones and gangster movies. I guess I had the 'evil ending' which I didn't really saw coming but also felt deserved and original in way. Great writing.

Gethsemani:
Good story, decent gameplay loop. Waaaaay too much busywork to get through the main quest. I played it for quite a bit (20+ hours as I recall) and at that point I wasn't even halfway through the story. The idea about liberating districts is good on paper, but it is way too padded in the actual game. Still, for free it is definitely worth a play.

Ugh, that's why InFamous for example drastically lost appeal to me. I still haven't played through the Second Son game (which I also got *free*) because it's that same formula as the original. I did like that enough to actually Platinum it though, but it became a chore long beforehand. I don't care if I never see another blast shard again, either.

stroopwafel:
I loved the story, could be a pretty decent gangster flick by itself and the facial animations and expressions are amazing(my guess is 90% of the game's budget went into this). Music is absolutely fantastic. Gunplay is pretty good. Driving, also, pretty good. The 60's era in which it's set came across as really believable with the locations and use of colours adding to the sense of place(not to mention the random little NPC chats and talk on the radio that addresses issues that lived at the time).

I agree it's quite repetitive, but it didn't bother me as much as the gameplay is fun and side missions can largely be skipped. The main missions have some awesome setpieces. Liberating the districts can easily be rushed through.

What bothered me most when I initially played the game were the awful skyboxes that looked like they were PS1 quality. This being an open-world game it actually became quite noticeable, though I did play the game at release so maybe it's since been patched.

Other than that though I really enjoyed the game and espescially the story. Now that it's free on PS+ it's pretty much a no-brainer for anyone who hasn't played it and likes GTA clones and gangster movies. I guess I had the 'evil ending' which I didn't really saw coming but also felt deserved and original in way. Great writing.

This all helps assuage the issue from my previous post. Attention to detail is a cornerstone for me, so if nothing else this will be an interesting world to get lost in for a while. Who knows, it might be convincing enough to make all the padding appear thinner than it sounds.

hanselthecaretaker:
They seem more focused and have better gameplay imo than GTA, and this one looks no different.

They making it more like GTA is biggest mistake. Mafia 1 was masterpiece. and even 2 was good.

Mafia 1 has the best story ever told in video gaming history.

The game is well-polished in my books. I didn't have any issue with much of it, except driving physics perhaps. Playing in simulation mode helps a bit, but by the end might be frustrating.

Gunplay is fun, game ran smooth (though I played on PC), story holds itself up well enough. Soundtrack is pretty good, there are a few radio stations a la GTA which lets you choose to your taste. Nothing is truly spectacular, but all in all I found it a fun game. I'd rate it the same as Mad Max, a solid 7/10 (which means it's good ok?!)

Some people find it a bit of a grind, but I think it was paced out ok. I only worked for the lieutenants that I liked, managed to keep everyone happy by the end somehow, and otherwise just aimed for the upgrades that looked useful. A quick hint, things that help you get away from cops should be priority, they're a fucking pain in the ass in this game, so even bulletproof tyres helps a LOT.

The only issue other than that was I was hoping to play an actual Mafia game, where I was a Mafia - not killing and tearing apart a Mafia organization. The territory control stuff with the various factions doesn't come across very Godfather-ish to me, but that's just personal taste and preconception I guess, my own fault.

B-Cell:

hanselthecaretaker:
They seem more focused and have better gameplay imo than GTA, and this one looks no different.

They making it more like GTA is biggest mistake. Mafia 1 was masterpiece. and even 2 was good.

Mafia 1 has the best story ever told in video gaming history.

That's a bold statement. I played the demo a billion times. Great guilty fun. I'd never done something so anti social before, driving around engaged in mayhem. But, it's only a game! Since then, Saints Row 3, so far, is my favorite type of these games. Trying to get into GTA 5. Keep retarting Mafia 2... long story. Busy work, too hard to get to save points but a lot of fun so far. Will check GOG and Steam for 1.

It's not a good game I'm sad to say. I will proudly say that Mafia 2 is one of my favourite games, certainly in the "open world" genre. I think the combination of setting, aesthetic, soundtrack, sensational voice acting, gorgeous cars and a fantastic mafia story made it a stand out game. I loved that breaking the speed limit or running lights could get you in trouble, and that changing colour/plates was a thing. I liked the shopping for clothes and suits, tho I could've done with less trips to the ammo shop.

I loved Mafia 2 enough that a) it's still installed on my PC and b) I even played DESPITE that it has NO option for the FoV. To put that in context, if I play a game and it has a shitty console FoV AND cannot be changed (either in game or thru a hack/ini tweak/mod, etc) then I simply uninstall it and add it to the list of shit games I'm never going to play because they're shit, even tho I didn't play them for more than a minute. Mafia 2 is that good that I will still play it and like it even with a terrible FoV that in any lesser game would result in immediate uninstall.

Mafia 3 on the other hand is just mediocrity. The setting (70s Nawlins) isn't that great, the characters weren't great, the cars were so forgettable I couldn't describe a one, the soundtrack sucked, the graphics were mediocre and dull and I haven't even touched on the main parts of the game. The story was frankly not in the same league. It's a predictable revenge story which is established at the start without a single surprise or point of interest. The gameplay is, quite frankly, shit. You will literally just whistle moron AI guards over one at a time and stab them from behind sticky fucking cover. You have to score fuckabout points (think any recent Bioware or Ubisoft open-world garbage) by fucking about in parts of the city by taking over businesses, killing mooks and...well that's really it. When you get enough fuckabout points in an area, Lieutenant Mook will come out of hiding and you kill him to takeover his 'hood. Then you score PERK POINTS to UNLOCK PERKS for 5% more bullshit and 10% faster horsecrap!!!

The gameplay you play in the first 30 minutes of the game is EXACTLY the same gameplay as the entire rest of the game, on a loop. It is essentially The Ubisoft Game where you just go around an open-world and complete bullshit "content" for fuckabout points.

In summary, the characters suck (I cannot believe how they managed to ruin Vito, but they did), the cars suck, the story is boring and shit, the combat and driving suck, I can't name a single song from the soundtrack, the gameplay is boring and repetitive and it isn't even worth your time if it's free. It isn't in the same league as Mafia 2 and I cannot believe it's in the same franchise. But where Mafia 2 is one of the best open-world games of its generation, a labour of talent and love with an attention to detail, Mafia 3 is a mediocre, nebulous, repetitive Ubisoft style sandbox without the heart that made 2 so darned good.

Play Mafia 2 again, you'll enjoy it 100x more than 3. The relationship between Vito and his family, with Joe, with Leo, it's a different level. Vito is on a genuine arc and a his journey has highs and lows. 2 makes you happy, sad, mad and even madder but for all the right reasons. Getting to Galente's house and going to town on the attackers is one of the best moments you can experience in gaming and it's achieved thru great characterisation, player involvement and clever storytelling. 3 is not worth your time, that is coming from a massive Mafia fan.

KingsGambit:

Play Mafia 2 again, you'll enjoy it 100x more than 3. The relationship between Vito and his family, with Joe, with Leo, it's a different level. Vito is on a genuine arc and a his journey has highs and lows. 2 makes you happy, sad, mad and even madder but for all the right reasons. Getting to Galente's house and going to town on the attackers is one of the best moments you can experience in gaming and it's achieved thru great characterisation, player involvement and clever storytelling. 3 is not worth your time, that is coming from a massive Mafia fan.

Well shit KingsGambit, you've made a good case for reinstalling Mafia 2. I remember liking it, but perhaps didn't spend enough time letting it soak in without comparing it to GTA or the like. I also liked the original, and thought the ending was brilliant even by today's standards. The farmhouse shootout is still one of the most atmospheric and tense levels I've played in a modern game. The only thing that really dragged that game down was the boring driving sequences. The cars moved little faster than a brisk walking speed, and the town layout was too cut-and-pasted to efficiently navigate. Mafia 2 fixed these things for sure, but like I say, I'd personally have to revisit it to more accurately evaluate its other strengths.

hanselthecaretaker:
Well shit KingsGambit, you?ve made a good case for reinstalling Mafia 2. I remember liking it, but perhaps didn?t spend enough time letting it soak in without comparing it to GTA or the like. I also liked the original, and thought the ending was brilliant even by today?s standards. The farmhouse shootout is still one of the most atmospheric and tense levels I?ve played in a modern game. The only thing that really dragged that game down was the boring driving sequences. The cars moved little faster than a brisk walking speed, and the town layout was too cut-and-pasted to efficiently navigate. Mafia 2 fixed these things for sure, but like I say, I?d personally have to revisit it to more accurately evaluate its other strengths.

There are only two games I've forgiven for having god-awful FoVs: Sleeping Dogs and Mafia 2. They really are so good in most other regards. That's not to say M2 is without flaw. Excepting for the FoV oversight, the most common gameplay criticism was that the game didn't make "enough use" of the open-world.

While it doesn't bother me I can absolutely see what is meant; few missions actually take place in Empire Bay, instead they are in a unique instance/level, like the hotel, chinese restaurant, prison, etc. While it's true that that is the case, I don't think it makes the game any less. It's still a large, immersive, breathing open-world for the story to take place in and I actually kinda liked it. It's ultimately the difference between an open-world and a sandbox. Mafia 2 is not a sandbox. And there're plenty of missions in the open-world (the cigarettes one comes immediately to mind).

Mafia 3 removed our ability to customise clothes and cars and it removed such a great part of M2. I loved picking up better suits to reflect Vito's success. Should he look more or less smart, hat or coat? It made such a great contrast to have him commit violence dressed in his expensive suit. And his apartment...It is so familiar because of how many times we walk to or from it and we become familiar with the sounds, neighbours and the rest. And then car choice...having a garage of sexy, period cars...and have the game react to our choice was great. I loved being able to choose a car to cruise around in and to have some customisation for it. Why they got rid of this for bloody perk points I cannot fathom.

(I suspect they might've added some customisation to M3 in the months after release, but I don't know what or to what extent.)

The beginning at the docks, when Vito is moving the crates for as long as the player is willing to walk at a snail's pace and to get paid pittance for his trouble is genius, utter genius. The player experiences the unrewarding, hard-slog of a lowly dock-worker thru GAMEPLAY and we get impatient and frustrated by it just like Vito does. The prison part and the relationship to Galente IMO was also fantastic. It established a relationship that crossed Family lines and was so wonderfully made use of in the story.

I wish I had nicer things to say about M3. I had no issue with the setting or the racism which I think made the world more believable, but the gameplay, man the gameplay; it's an open-world of chest high walls, bloody X-Ray vision (apparently vietnam vets can see thru walls) and Ubisoft style busywork. It had no heart, no purpose. The thing is your time has value and while there may be some entertainment value to be had, it's not a story or game you'll greatly enjoy or remember. Mafia 2 is the closest we as gamers can get to The Godfather films. It's a mob crime-drama with great story-telling, gameplay that immerses you in the world, characters you care about and it's FUN.

This video at 7mins (watch for 3 mins) will sum up M3. The combat gameplay is shallow and boring and the meta-game of scoring fuckabout points to lure out bosses and take over zones is repetitive and tedious; by the time you do the second mission you'll already be thinking "This was just like the first." They wasted New Orleans, a vietnam vet and the setup for a revenge story on this forgettable title and it's a disappointing follow-up to such good predecessors. It might be different all patched and DLCd up, but I doubt it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here