Castlevania has come to Smash Bros!!!

And Luigi is dead.

Also Zero is in the game!

... he's an assist trophy but at least he's there.

Tank207:

Also Zero is in the game!

... he's an assist trophy but at least he's there.

That explains why he isn't in Megaman's final smash since they have Proto Man and Bass in it.

Also King K Rool, Dark Samus, and Chrom are in.

I was also overjoyed that Shovel Knight made it in the game as an assist trophy.

I am legitimately curious who they'll be revealing next, more echo characters are a given but the idea of what all-new characters they can add has me excited.

I'm still holding out hope that Banjo and Kazooie are going to be brought in at some point.

Chrom, K.Rool and the Inklings were all promoted from Mii Costumes. Maybe we'll see a few more of those, like Lloyd Irving or... someone else I can't think of right now.

I mean, so was Knuckles, so they could just be Assist Trophies, but being an Assist Trophy is still a cool thing. Right, guys? ...Guys?

...Actually, speaking of Knuckles, it's interesting that we haven't seen hide or quill of Shadow yet.

One last thing. Who actually believes that the censored green section is a new story/adventure mode? Because I'll point out three things for you:
-Sakurai is a troll.
-Sakurai is on record that the reason he didn't make a new adventure mode for 3DS/WiiU is because people uploaded the cutscenes onto Youtube.
-Smash Tour also had a green box on the main menu of WiiU. (Apparently Smash Run's colour is closer, but I never played 3DS.)

I'm happy for Castlevania fans but i honestly couldn't give any less of a shit about that series.

leet_x1337:

One last thing. Who actually believes that the censored green section is a new story/adventure mode?

it's clearly Smash tour 2.0. :)

OMG! They killed Luigi!

Bastards! >:(

There's already a thread for this arguably. But regardless, I'll say here what I said there, that the cinematics looked more interesting as a potential Castlevania game in of itself. And that I don't get why so many guest characters come to Smash Brothers while so many actual Nintendo characters/IPs have no representation (but again, haven't played since Melee, so meh).

Hawki:
There's already a thread for this arguably. But regardless, I'll say here what I said there, that the cinematics looked more interesting as a potential Castlevania game in of itself. And that I don't get why so many guest characters come to Smash Brothers while so many actual Nintendo characters/IPs have no representation (but again, haven't played since Melee, so meh).

At this point I think Sakurai is mostly trying to deliver on fan demand as much as possible(hell Shovel Knight made it in as an assist trophy, which was shocking). Simon/Castlevania has been heavily requested by fans for as long as I can remember.

King K. Rool is my favorite addition so far (would be Shovel Knight if he wasn't just an assist trophy).

With Ridley and Rool in the game now, the odds that Geno gets his day in the sun have never been higher. Please Sakurai, grant my wish. Give me Geno! I've been praying for him since Melee was announced!

Fappy:
King K. Rool is my favorite addition so far (would be Shovel Knight if he wasn't just an assist trophy).

With Ridley and Rool in the game now, the odds that Geno gets his day in the sun have never been higher. Please Sakurai, grant my wish. Give me Geno! I've been praying for him since Melee was announced!

I get the feeling he will become an assist trophy. And really it all depends how much further they work with Square. It was a miracle they got Cloud of all people to be in this game.

And yet despite putting in this huge roster of characters everyone is still going to be doing the 'No items, Fox only, Final Destination' thing.

Canadamus Prime:
And yet despite putting in this huge roster of characters everyone is still going to be doing the 'No items, Fox only, Final Destination' thing.

Its like taking a beautiful picture of a rainbow and going 'this should be in grayscale'.

Its a little weird since Castlevania is a dead franchise owned by an even deader game company.

Hades:
Its a little weird since Castlevania is a dead franchise owned by an even deader game company.

I mean, Megaman was a dead series when he was added to Smash Bros

nah, Bayonetta is the busted character this time around

Hades:

So is Earthbound. (Well, not the 'owned by deader game company' part, but still) And people only know who the Ice Climbers are because of Smash Bros.

Simon's inclusion is more a celebration of NES Castlevania than Castlevania as a whole. Not like they added Lords of Shadow's protagonist to the game.

I think there's a clear difference between Megaman and the Earthbound boys owned by Capcom and Nintendo, and Castlevania owned by Konami. Nintendo and Capcom aren't dead like Konami and haven't shown any desire to burn their gaming divisions to the ground.

Nintendo might not had any concrete plans to release Earthbound on the virtual console at the time but keeping Ness and Lucas in Smash meant that an interest would always be there. When it came to Kid Icarus they could use the newfound interest that Smash gave Pit to create a new game out of it. Capcom was awful to the blue bomber but putting him in Smash was a nice gesture to Megaman fans who they could then later court with a new Megaman game.

Konami lacks this motivation. Creating hype for Castlevania gives them nothing because they don't want new castlevania games. What they most likely want is every Castlevania and Metal Gear fans to shut up and just let them continue their pachinko business. Konami doesn't want a new Castlavania so why would they deliberately get fans hyped, perhaps even hyped enough to start making those annoying requests for new games again?

Hades:
I think there's a clear difference between Megaman and the Earthbound boys owned by Capcom and Nintendo, and Castlevania owned by Konami. Nintendo and Capcom aren't dead like Konami and haven't shown any desire to burn their gaming divisions to the ground.

Nintendo might not had any concrete plans to release Earthbound on the virtual console at the time but keeping Ness and Lucas in Smash meant that an interest would always be there. When it came to Kid Icarus they could use the newfound interest that Smash gave Pit to create a new game out of it. Capcom was awful to the blue bomber but putting him in Smash was a nice gesture to Megaman fans who they could then later court with a new Megaman game.

Konami lacks this motivation. Creating hype for Castlevania gives them nothing because they don't want new castlevania games. What they most likely want is every Castlevania and Metal Gear fans to shut up and just let them continue their pachinko business. Konami doesn't want a new Castlavania so why would they deliberately get fans hyped, perhaps even hyped enough to start making those annoying requests for new games again?

Eh, I think this will only remind Castlevania fans how far Konami has fallen. Its really more of a 'Hey remember when Castlevania was good? Too bad it sucks now'.

Saelune:

Canadamus Prime:

Its like taking a beautiful picture of a rainbow and going 'this should be in grayscale'.

That is very apt analogy.

totheendofsin:

nah, Bayonetta is the busted character this time around

Point missed entirely.

Fappy:

I can't wrap my head around the Geno fandom. He's an okay character from an okay Mario spinoff. Mario rpg stopped mattering once Paper Mario surpassed it in every way.

Canadamus Prime:

Which always struck me as odd. If it's supposed to be a test of Smash prowess, wouldn't Battlefield make more sense for the stage?

Souplex:

Canadamus Prime:

Which always struck me as odd. If it's supposed to be a test of Smash prowess, wouldn't Battlefield make more sense for the stage?

It's flat so there are no distractions, platforms are for nubs apparently.

And yet, still no Waluigi. </3

rosac:

Souplex:

Canadamus Prime:

It's flat so there are no distractions, platforms are for nubs apparently.

Smash isn't Street fighter, there's a ton of verticality to it!

Drathnoxis:
And yet, still no Waluigi. </3

Stop, it's not funny anymore. It's never been funny.

Souplex:

Fappy:

I can't wrap my head around the Geno fandom. He's an okay character from an okay Mario spinoff. Mario rpg stopped mattering once Paper Mario surpassed it in every way.

Heresy!

Add Porky and Black Shadow/Goroh, and every series represented in Smash 64 has a playable antagonist.

Not a big fan of F-Zero villains, but Porky would be pretty sweet.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here