Doom Eternal Gameplay

Pages 1 2 NEXT

just watched it. GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!!

gotta love new open earth enviroment, dash mehchanic, graple on demon.

That grappling hook looks like it's gonna be AMAZING to fuck with. I'm all over this bad boy.

it look so good. i really hope that panic button will be able to match the switch release at the same date that the other versions. it would be the first AAA title to come out the same date as the other versions and now we will see for real if those type of game sell well on the switch or not.

ZombieProof:
That grappling hook looks like it's gonna be AMAZING to fuck with. I'm all over this bad boy.

Yeah. this looks just so damn GOOD!!. like this is how sequels should be.

I was impressed with RDR2 yesterday but this just blow me away.

I was fully prepared to be disappointed because I worried it was a glorified expansion pack, but that was legit cool. New mechanics, new weapons, new enemies and I love the idea of humanity at war with demons and allied troops killing demons to help you. Great stuff!

Grappling hook. Goddammit, who told Bethesda I'm a total sucker for a good grappling hook?

Yup, that's a purchase.

That opening is pure gold.

"HEY, WHO ARE YOU?! YOU CAn't be...here." *willingly hands over weapon*

DeliveryGodNoah:
That opening is pure gold.

"HEY, WHO ARE YOU?! YOU CAn't be...here." *willingly hands over weapon*

Yeah that part was fantastic

Looks cool, but I feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer in the first 5 minutes of the video.

"Switch will never get any new 3rd Party games. only enhanced ports of old games. it's not powerful enough to run any new stuff."

Boom!

More "oh fuck it's the Doom Slayer"? Super Shotgun now has a grappling hook? Auto-shotty? Doom Slayer gets his sword back? More on-purpose cringy hologram PSAs?

Bethesda, you already had my attention. Now you have my day-one purchase.

Looks solid, like a natural evolution of Doom 2016

Yoshi178:
"Switch will never get any new 3rd Party games. only enhanced ports of old games. it's not powerful enough to run any new stuff."

while it's likely to be an inferior version I guess it is nice to see Bethesda walking the walk when it comes to supporting the Switch

totheendofsin:

while it's likely to be an inferior version I guess it is nice to see Bethesda walking the walk when it comes to supporting the Switch

What it exactly would make it an inferior version though? because PS4 and Xbone will have better graphics than the Switch version?

last time i checked you can't take PS4 and Xbox One versions on the go with you as a portable and the PS4 and Xbox One versions won't have the option to play with Gyro controls like the Switch version will have.

the Switch version will be different yes, but far from inferior.

Yoshi178:

totheendofsin:

What it exactly would make it an inferior version though? because PS4 and Xbone will have better graphics than the Switch version?

last time i checked you can't take PS4 and Xbox One versions on the go with you as a portable and the PS4 and Xbox One versions won't have the option to play with Gyro controls like the Switch version will have.

the Switch version will be different yes, but far from inferior.

Probably just a framerate and texture hit like the first game, but that's it. Gyro alone is enough to get it on the Switch

So basically more of the same.

Yawn.

Hawki:
So basically more of the same.

Yawn.

New location, New weapon, new mechanic, more open level design instead of arena lockdown, new engine...

more of same is also good if not broken dont fix. but this is evolution of Doom 2016.

Dat flamethrower.

Also liking the battle rifle with quick scope. And raining chunks of demon flesh. Even better is the person playing actually knows how to play.

Another possibly cool feature would be if the style of execution seems to be influenced by where you're aiming. Here he aims at their feet and then just punches them in the face, but the kill right after he's aiming the same way and trips them up first. It would really add some flavor if finishers had some logic to them or were perhaps context-sensitive within environments as well. Seems like a missed opportunity if they were totally random.

B-Cell:

New location,

Earth and Phobos are hardly "new locations" for the Doom series.

New weapon,

Missed it.

new mechanic,

The grappling hook?

Yay...

more open level design instead of arena lockdown,

That's a slight improvement.

new engine...

Which doesn't mean anything in of itself.

more of same is also good if not broken dont fix. but this is evolution of Doom 2016.

Given how lacklustre it was, Doom 2016 needs plenty of evolving in my eyes. The incramental improvements seen here aren't something I'm getting jizzed about.

This looks awesome. It's as if they just took Doom 2016 and turned it up to 11.

Also, was anyone weirdly reminded of Halo 2 by this for some reason?

spartandude:

You're not the only one. I thought about commenting on it, but didn't want to turn it into some asinine Master Chief vs. Doom Slayer thing (MC wins as a character, DS would win in a fight).

But on that note, yeah. You have "green armored space marine guy" on the Cairo (sorry, Phobos), as the Covenant (sorry, demons) invade, not to mention how the lowly plebs look up to the Spartan II (sorry, psychopath). Then we transition to the Covenant (sorry again, demons), invading Earth.

...so does that mean that we'll pursue some demon ship to Hell in a slipspace jump? 0_0

Looks pretty cool to me, like the progression from the original Doom to Doom 2. The grappling hook though... I mean I can see the gameplay fun of it but it just looks really weird when Doom Slayer grapples onto a smaller enemy like an imp or possessed and just pulls himself to them. Also, the location damage is a bit overboard, like blasting away the thigh of a hell knight and it just leaving running around with almost just a bone, thats probably a bit more comedic then they intended.

spartandude:

It's not weird; I'd be shocked if it wasn't deliberate. I'm a bit concerned that Doom, of all things, has picked up the "bunch of grunts stand in awe of the Player Character" trope, and unless they seriously step up the writing all Id will do is make a series in an identity crisis all the more milquetoast.

Could be good, tho.

Worgen:
Looks pretty cool to me, like the progression from the original Doom to Doom 2. The grappling hook though... I mean I can see the gameplay fun of it but it just looks really weird when Doom Slayer grapples onto a smaller enemy like an imp or possessed and just pulls himself to them. Also, the location damage is a bit overboard, like blasting away the thigh of a hell knight and it just leaving running around with almost just a bone, thats probably a bit more comedic then they intended.

Not any weirder than Doom Slayer gliding around on a dolly cam and dashing to and fro with ease. Maybe his new gear allows the laws of physics to be bent for the sake of looking cool.

deathbydeath:

spartandude:

It's not weird; I'd be shocked if it wasn't deliberate. I'm a bit concerned that Doom, of all things, has picked up the "bunch of grunts stand in awe of the Player Character" trope, and unless they seriously step up the writing all Id will do is make a series in an identity crisis all the more milquetoast.

They don't look particularly happy to see Doomguy tho, unlike Chief. More like intimidated, verging on barely contained fear, let's not get in the way of the nigh unstoppable anthropomorphized giant ball of ultraviolence who will kill demons no matter the cost.

Worgen:

It's actually probably just as comedic as they intended. The first game was almost a satire of FPS story because you have all these characters going on about lore and the story while the Doom Slayer is just like "fuck it, I'm here to kill demons and nothing else!" Doom is basically laughing at "realism."

hanselthecaretaker:

Worgen:

Not any weirder than Doom Slayer gliding around on a dolly cam and dashing to and fro with ease. Maybe his new gear allows the laws of physics to be bent for the sake of looking cool.

In the background lore of 2016 (actually in one of the Slayer testament things that were in the main game instead of a codex entry) it mentions he was blessed by Seraphim during his first rampage through Hell with incredible strength and speed, so already had actual magic.

deathbydeath:

That was one of the few things I actually liked about it. It makes sense that the Doom Slayer is given a level of reverence in the setting. It arguably makes even more sense than the likes of Samus or John-117, because those two have counterparts in their own settings that are roughly on their level. In contrast, Doomguy is the only one of his kind (that we know of, and given the hinted at lore for the Marauders/Doom Hunters, probably not), so it makes sense that lesser mortals are in awe of him.

Seth Carter:

hanselthecaretaker:

Worgen:

In the background lore of 2016 (actually in one of the Slayer testament things that were in the main game instead of a codex entry) it mentions he was blessed by Seraphim during his first rampage through Hell with incredible strength and speed, so already had actual magic.

I'm playing through 2016 now and am pretty impressed by the amount of SP content and thought put into it. They clearly seem to get the soul of DOOM and have respect for its legacy, which certainly includes the surreal. I mean, we're talking about opening a portal to hell and demons with rocket launchers for shoulder pads here after all. Why not go all out.

hanselthecaretaker:

Seth Carter:

hanselthecaretaker:

I'm playing through 2016 now and am pretty impressed by the amount of SP content and thought put into it. They clearly seem to get the soul of DOOM and have respect for its legacy, which certainly includes the surreal. I mean, we're talking about opening a portal to hell and demons with rocket launchers for shoulder pads here after all. Why not go all out.

Yeah, there's a lot of service to the idea of Hell just being an advanced alien dimension, but particularly in the second half it drifts back into the fantasy aspects (the codex entries happen to cover that the UEC were the ones who made the various cyborg demons, for whatever reason). Never really does put a hard settle or say that the demons aren't magical (or the overused "Advanced science is indistinguishable from magic" schtick).

Hawki:

deathbydeath:

That was one of the few things I actually liked about it. It makes sense that the Doom Slayer is given a level of reverence in the setting. It arguably makes even more sense than the likes of Samus or John-117, because those two have counterparts in their own settings that are roughly on their level. In contrast, Doomguy is the only one of his kind (that we know of, and given the hinted at lore for the Marauders/Doom Hunters, probably not), so it makes sense that lesser mortals are in awe of him.

Sure it was cool, but is Doom really the franchise we want taking cues from Halo? Sure, it has the potential to work, but only if they really solidify that "compromise with sin" dynamic between Samuel Hayden and the Slayer (which was tenuous at best in D16). Sure there's a shitton of Doom "lore", but setting aside the fact that hardly any of it is relevant to the player it is tedious, uninspired, insufferably long, and written remarkably blandly.

Sure, it's possible, but looking at D16 and the way it was received I'm not hopeful.

EDIT: I do want to emphasize that I adored the scene (all the little things really added up well), but unless the series gets its core identity figured out it'll just be another bullet point on the back of the box.

deathbydeath:

Sure it was cool, but is Doom really the franchise we want taking cues from Halo?

I dunno, but that opening scene aside, Doom Eternal is antithical to Halo in a lot of ways,* so I don't see much risk of that happening.

*Namely that, among other things, the Doom Slayer is seen as the be all and end all of resisting the demons. In contrast, as great a soldier as John is, he's still part of the UNSC, and Halo 2 (and other games) always reinforce that he's part of a group effort.

Why would we be excited aboot a game that revels in the bad design of 90s shooters before we learned to make them good in the 00s?

I'm excited. This is just proof that Doom is eternal.

Mixed feelings. Some stuff looked cool, not so hot on some of the new glory kills. Don't feel as 'clean' and smooth, and veer more into sadism over 'just get the hell out of my way'.

Also a bit iffy of the humour from canned speakers having a base in 'we're treating the demons as immigrants' which could go some unfortunate places.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here