I don't understand the appeal of Destiny 2

Pages PREV 1 2

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

hanselthecaretaker:

I just have a tough time believing it was because it was that good of a game vs simply having the right ingredients to be mega popular; kinda like how CoD has been since taking the console shooter crown. Neither of these IPs ever did anything exceptionally well technically or artistically when it comes to visuals or gameplay. There were brighter than average spots like enemy AI in Halo or a high image quality:performance ratio in CoD, but in general the main constant for either was simply having ?fun? multiplayer modes and a compelling progression system.

The right ingredients were (For Bungies Halo games) a compelling story and good storytelling, great graphics for the time, great gameplay, amazing OST, iconic characters, great multiplayer etc

A game series simply can't get that huge just because it has fun multiplayer modes and a progression system, what are the ''right ingredients'' that made the series huge in your opinion?

I really don't know, but it's highly subjective. Halo CE-3 are at best 7/10 games for me personally. Shooting is decent but plagued with aim assist (actually I remember seeing a Microsoft patent for it that suggested the game pioneered its implementation), AI can be exceptional, but inconsistent, the level design is uninspiring and repetitive especially in CE, and the soundtrack is highly overrated. The main theme reminds me of something that could've been from an older high school science class edutainment video.

More than all of that though, I just don't care for its style. It often felt like it was trying to be too cute and silly, but then throws in serious themes about race and war. Like being stuck between a Nintendo game and an actual mature game but can't make up its mind what it wants to be. It actually reminds me a lot of Star Wars which I never really cared for either.

aegix drakan:

If I want a grindy shoot and loot, I'll play warframe.

Its funny, I enjoy Warframe, but I've never understood the labelling of it as shoot'n'loot.

Like there's basically no loot. You don't pull a weapon out of treasure chest or a boss fight and start blowing shit up with it. You buy a blueprint off the market console and run around a dozen missions or whatever kind of passively picking up mundane resources to build it in a foundry.

Like that whole idea of finding the uber-cool thing is kind of muted because outside of a few rare mods (that drop off seemingly picked at random mundane enemies), you probably were specifically going for that thing all along. Its a detached scientific process rather then an exciting discovery.

Even the void relics that probably come the closest to the idea are still kind of lacking. About the best shot of that loot rush you get is when you see the rando you matchmade with on the fissure mission had some relic you've never seen and you get something that was vaulted or whatever.

MMO-lite games require friends, some more than others. For Destiny the reason I play it is because I want to collect all the weapons, but I quickly too got bored of it. Warframe is like that as well. The Division and Monster Hunter World are exceptions, you could matchmake, and there are no raids to speak of that can't be done with randoms.

IDK about Diablo 3.

Right now I am currently awaiting the release of Ace Combat 7, and since it's a Japanese Game, It caters more to the solo player as my friends all play siege, and I don't.

That, and I loved playing Ace of Combat Infinity. If the devs let us play multiplayer every day without tokens, then I will play Ace of Combat 7's multiplayer which you should get along with Monster Hunter World if you want to have a solo MMO-lite experience.

If you have friends, then wait for The Division 2 and Anthem. Those have raids.

Edit: Forsaken ruins two of the best characters: Cayde 6 by killing him, and Uldren Sov who was a decent mysterious anti-hero by again killing him.

Now, who will fill the void, Zavala???

Phoenixmgs:

I haven't played Andromeda but if it plays like past ME games like I'm pretty sure it does, then it definitely does powers in a better way than Destiny; more of them and you can use them far more often. Destiny is far too much of a straight shooter than it should be.

Mass Effect is pretty much just your run of the mill third person cover shooter, the combat is easily the weakest link in the original trilogy, that people think the gameplay (even if it's improved) in Andromeda is the best thing about it should tell you something about the quality of that game.

hanselthecaretaker:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

hanselthecaretaker:

I just have a tough time believing it was because it was that good of a game vs simply having the right ingredients to be mega popular; kinda like how CoD has been since taking the console shooter crown. Neither of these IPs ever did anything exceptionally well technically or artistically when it comes to visuals or gameplay. There were brighter than average spots like enemy AI in Halo or a high image quality:performance ratio in CoD, but in general the main constant for either was simply having ?fun? multiplayer modes and a compelling progression system.

The right ingredients were (For Bungies Halo games) a compelling story and good storytelling, great graphics for the time, great gameplay, amazing OST, iconic characters, great multiplayer etc

A game series simply can't get that huge just because it has fun multiplayer modes and a progression system, what are the ''right ingredients'' that made the series huge in your opinion?

I really don?t know, but it?s highly subjective. Halo CE-3 are at best 7/10 games for me personally. Shooting is decent but plagued with aim assist (actually I remember seeing a Microsoft patent for it that suggested the game pioneered its implementation), AI can be exceptional, but inconsistent, the level design is uninspiring and repetitive especially in CE, and the soundtrack is highly overrated. The main theme reminds me of something that could?ve been from an older high school science class edutainment video.

More than all of that though, I just don?t care for its style. It often felt like it was trying to be too cute and silly, but then throws in serious themes about race and war. Like being stuck between a Nintendo game and an actual mature game but can?t make up its mind what it wants to be. It actually reminds me a lot of Star Wars which I never really cared for either.

To be honest that's quite a bunch of unpopular opinions, everything you said you don't like about the series is something it's very often praised for by critics and players.

I can agree about one thing though, HaloCE did have quite a few repetitive levels.

Gergar12:

Edit: Forsaken ruins two of the best characters: Cayde 6 by killing him, and Uldren Sov who was a decent mysterious anti-hero by again killing him.

Now, who will fill the void, Zavala???

That's quite a bit of Spoiler territory :I

Edit: I'm a poophead apparently.

DeliveryGodNoah:

Gergar12:

I must congratulate anyone who didn't know about this since this was clearly the selling point of the expansion, unless you avoided all trailers about the expansion (including the one shown at e E3) and avoided pretty much any talk about it, you'd know about

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

DeliveryGodNoah:

Gergar12:

I must congratulate anyone who didn't know about this since this was clearly the selling point of the expansion, unless you avoided all trailers about the expansion (including the one shown at e E3) and avoided pretty much any talk about it, you'd know about

I honestly didn't. I apologize. Seems like a dumb thing to base an expansion on.

Yep, looking it up it's right there on the front damn page. I'm quite the fool right now.

I really didn't pay any mind at all to ads for the thing, and it must have fallen into the blank void of my mind where my better judgment must have fallen.

Not sure if you had to be such a passive-aggressive dick about correcting me though, but I understand.

There is an approximately zero chance that Cayde-7 isn't on the horizon. Impossible death-defying is a Guardian's whole schtik.

The Traveler will get around to him as soon as sales slack off, as long as they don't absolutely crater.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

DeliveryGodNoah:

Gergar12:

I follow the game and still expected...

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

Phoenixmgs:

I haven't played Andromeda but if it plays like past ME games like I'm pretty sure it does, then it definitely does powers in a better way than Destiny; more of them and you can use them far more often. Destiny is far too much of a straight shooter than it should be.

Mass Effect is pretty much just your run of the mill third person cover shooter, the combat is easily the weakest link in the original trilogy, that people think the gameplay (even if it's improved) in Andromeda is the best thing about it should tell you something about the quality of that game.

But ME allows you to do far more than just shoot like say Uncharted. You have lots of different powers and builds. You can make characters that don't even need to fire a gun. The ME3 multiplayer is actually really good because it has tons of characters that play completely differently like the salarian infiltrator is the best sniper while you can be a geth infiltrator and literally never shoot a gun while melting phantoms with its melee attack (with the right build). From what I played of Destiny 1, it was 90+% just standard, but good, 1st-person shooting occasionally using a power. From what I hear of Destiny 2, you can't even main shotguns or sniper rifles, which again, ME allows for. Destiny just seems so limiting compared to even something like a ME or Bioshock along with other games like Overwatch, Battleborn, Borderlands, Warframe.

DeliveryGodNoah:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

DeliveryGodNoah:

I honestly didn't. I apologize. Seems like a dumb thing to base an expansion on.

Yep, looking it up it's right there on the front damn page. I'm quite the fool right now.

I really didn't pay any mind at all to ads for the thing, and it must have fallen into the blank void of my mind where my better judgment must have fallen.

Not sure if you had to be such a passive-aggressive dick about correcting me though, but I understand.

Its the first half of the expansion storyline more or less. The second half (although I haven't finished it yet, and the culminating Raid isn't even active yet (and base D2 did have storyline in the Leviathan Raid, unlike D1 where it was just kind of a bonus addon) gets into different and rather weird territory.

The bit with Cayde and Uldren Sov more irked me because its all kind of obviously written with no prior planning, and even a few things that're more then a little retconny. Like okay, Nathan Fillion had some scheduling issues, and maybe they wanted to move away from having him dominate the picture a bit. But trying to actually cram this sudden legend of Cayde-6's adventures into the timeline is just a mess. Like we're told he put all the Barons in the Prison of Elders, but when the hell. The Baron's lore cards put them being imprisoned back during the Reef Wars, when the Awoken were all no-go with Guardians.

Uldren similarly

DeliveryGodNoah:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

DeliveryGodNoah:

They probably had to do something drastic to pull people back in to the game again, though that obviously creates another problem.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as passive-aggressive, I'm just honestly surprised that anyone who had an even slight interest in the expansion didn't know about it.

Elijin:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

DeliveryGodNoah:

I follow the game and still expected...

I had friends who were fans of Destiny 1, who decided to jump onto Destiny 2 and I ended up getting roped in. Since Destiny 2 did have a PC release whereas Destiny 1 was console exclusive. And we used to be massive Halo fans.

If you wanna loot and shoot, just play Borderlands. If you ever get tired of random loot and the skinner box, you can at least just use a save editor - give yourself the loot and get the game over with. Borderlands 2 still felt rather varied and fun up til the end of TVHM, where you could still switch up your loadouts and still perform. UVHM was just stupid and made majority of the gear pointless.

There's just nothing really appealing about the whole loot system in Destiny. You're striving to increase your 'power'. But it doesn't feel different beyond a number increasing. Guns are still very similar to one another. Exotics are one of the few things that actually feel different, but you are limited to only equipping one. You just switch numbers for some higher numbers so you qualify for more repetitive content?

The gameplay loop is also really repetitive. Just bullet sponges and more bullet sponges. My memories of Halo are still stuck back in Halo 3/Reach - but that had some distinguishable enemies and threats. Destiny 2 just feels like a lot of similar noise.

PvP is just sad. I've got so many better choices out there.

I've only tried one raid - Leviathan. And it wasn't a fun sort of difficult. It was an annoying thread the needle sort of BS with little/no room for error. Maybe there's people who find appeal in the 'teamwork' they need where everybody functions as a cog in a perfectly well oiled machine. I just found it inorganic and annoying. Me and my friends didn't exactly have the time or patience to practice the whole routine. I dropped Destiny 2 shortly after experiencing the Leviathan raid, no idea if my friends continued. But considering all the Overwatch we played afterwards... they probably didn't go back.

A good story might have carried the game for me. But I didn't feel anything for the setting and story. It is highly detailed and yet feels so superfluous. And the story is kinda treated like the 'tutorial' to the 'main game' that is the entire grind loop which is definitely a massive killer.

Just feels like there's a good game somewhere in Destiny 2, but it's been hacked into pieces and spread far too thin.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here