Is there any point in getting the Xbox One?

I've been thinking about getting a blu ray player for my room but as I was looking into it I thought rather than spending the money on a blu ray player, why not get a console that can play blu ray players as well as gaming. I already own a PS4 (though its in the living room rather than my room), so that leaves a Xbox.

Then I thought, what would I play on an Xbox? I have a decent gaming PC, don't all Xbox games come out on PC these days? Is there any reason at all for someone with a gaming PC to buy an Xbox or should I just keep looking into blu ray players?

it's a cheap way to play Conkers Bad Fur Day.

Bobular:

Then I thought, what would I play on an Xbox? I have a decent gaming PC, don't all Xbox games come out on PC these days? Is there any reason at all for someone with a gaming PC to buy an Xbox or should I just keep looking into blu ray players?

There is zero reason for buy either a xbox nor a blu ray player. If you are considering a console/Bluray system just get a PS4. Better games, better exclusives, and you can play everything that the xbox gets on your pc anyway so there is no reason to even consider Xbone as an option.

You'd have to really be a diehard Xbox fan or of their limited selection of exclusives. I suppose it's a pretty neat piece of tech in general too for other media purposes, but as a gaming device it's like having a tuned up sports car that can only be driven on a handful of bumpy roads.

I've been told here and there by reasonably competent people that its one of the better performing platforms for most streaming and media stuff (albeit costing more then most of the basic streaming boxes).

Other then that, just whatever exclusives, which generally is conceded to be kind of a meager offering compared to the other two. A slightly looser curation of mods for a handful of games that applies to

Can't believe I'm suggesting this but there's a good deal of backwards compatible games for the Xbox One. Thing is, you could just find compatible, used 360 games and play those. Just the exclusives, of course.

The list even includes original Xbox discs, of which I have a few. And they get a resolution bump even on the lowest tier Xbox One, with a jump to "4K" on the Xbox One X. Take that resolution bump with a grain of salt. I begrudgingly admit that as a sort-of collector, this is something Microsoft really didn't have to do. It's a nice touch.

And it should be said that some of the true exclusives, as in not available on PC, are very cheap right now. Sunset Overdrive is just $9 new! Even I had to pick up a copy despite not owning an Xbox One. That and Rare Replay, another sub $15 disc with lots of great titles in one.

I bought them because, well, you never know.

*edit*

After taking a longer look at the the list of BC 360 exclusives, it really isn't that special. My thoughts on the Xbox One are somewhat diminished.

Yoshi178:

That's literally the only reason to get one.

Only if you really want to play Halo and BC 360 games imo.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:
Only if you really want to play Halo and BC 360 games imo.

This

Ever since you could play xbox1 games on windows 10, the point of the system existing over just getting a PC vanished.

I had an Xbox One at one point.

I only played 4 games on it.

Rare Replay
Halo: Masterchief Collection (only played Halo 1, the rest have an issue with me that prevents me from playing them)
Sunset Overdrive
Forza Horizon 2

If less than three of those appeal to you, then the answer is a hard no.

If none of those appeal to you, or you don't care about missing them, then absolutely not. And unfortunately, all 4 of those games aren't available on PC, because they all came out before Microsoft's big push on trying to get back into the PC gaming market.

I've fallen into the trap of buying consoles I only had interest in playing 2 or 3 titles on, spending a few hundred dollars in the vain hope that something else good would come out and make the purchase worth it.

Xbox One
Wii U
Nintendo Switch
PS Vita

All 4 of which just collected dust after I played through the initial game that sparked the interest in that console for me in the first place. (PS Vita probably had the most use out of all of them, if only thanks to Persona 4 Golden)

The price difference is pretty considerable anyway, even if buying used.

New Xbox One: ~$250
New Blu-ray player: ~$40

I like my Xbox One :(

Granted though, I was essentially peer pressured into it as all my dumb friends wanted it over the superior PS4 but still!

I like my Xbox and it is my primary console as I like the controller a lot more than the Playstations but there really are not a lot of exclusives for it and even rarer is finding an exclusive that's system seller good...

Silentpony:

Yoshi178:

at this point pretty much, my copy of Rare Replay is basically the only reason i haven't sold mine lol

tippy2k2:
I like my Xbox One :(

Granted though, I was essentially peer pressured into it as all my dumb friends wanted it over the superior PS4 but still!

I like my Xbox and it is my primary console as I like the controller a lot more than the Playstations but there really are not a lot of exclusives for it and even rarer is finding an exclusive that's system seller good...

Xbone controller is amazing. one of the comfiest controllers there is.

games are meh though

Do any of these sound tempting?

- Master Chief Collection
- Halo 5
- Halo Infinite (TBR)
- Halo Wars
- Gears of War 4
- Gears of War 5
- Forza Games
- Rare Replay

If you get an Xbox One X, you get the better versions of a lot of console games too - basically every game that is on both consoles the Xbox One version is better if you play it on the Xbox One X; better framerate, better graphics, better load times, more stable etc.

PS4 is for if you like fighting games (since AWS and Capcom decided to say "Fuck You" to Xbox this gen), Naughty Dog games (IE: Last of Us) or are really into Gran Turismo.

Xbox One is for shooters, RPGs and open-world games.

Only if you got stubborn friends who outnumber you in inferior taste. I lost a main friend last generation who was on Xbox just before generation transitioning period, the wonderful sole upside there being no more unfortunate strong ties to the platform. Rare is a lost cause anyway and has been for years, so fuck em to their zombified state as Microsoft's "live service" promoter. The other main IPs are getting saddled with all the anti-consumer bullshit that Microsoft think they can get away with, so fuck em also. You can get them on the PC as has already been mentioned. I've had no regrets or remorse for jumping ship, no desire to go back.

These "what's the point of Xbox" threads always make me wonder when Microsoft will actually start embracing PC gaming in a more meaningful way and ditch consoles. I mean, competition is good but Microsoft just keeps shooting themselves in the foot. They really need to recruit more ambitious creatives and restructure their corporate culture into something more consumers can appreciate.

Well, Microsoft has done a good job with backwards compatibility. Some of the older games from the very first Xbox are available for the Xbone. Games like Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. That game alone might be worth it IMHO.

Its way cheaper to just get a blu-ray drive for your pc and a copy of PowerDvD to play discs, Bobby.

hanselthecaretaker:
These ?what?s the point of Xbox? threads always make me wonder when Microsoft will actually start embracing PC gaming in a more meaningful way and ditch consoles. I mean, competition is good but Microsoft just keeps shooting themselves in the foot. They really need to recruit more ambitious creatives and restructure their corporate culture into something more consumers can appreciate.

I've been guessing a couple years now, ever since MS started integrating the Xbox One with Windows 10, that MS are looking to get out of the console game, and are trying to train their userbase into using PCs. If the rumors are true that the next generation of Xbox are going to be tiered at different hardware levels, you're basically looking at a branded line of PCs that you plug into the TV, just probably with a heavily gated OS making all the software proprietary.

SupahEwok:
Its way cheaper to just get a blu-ray drive for your pc and a copy of PowerDvD to play discs, Bobby.

hanselthecaretaker:
These ?what?s the point of Xbox? threads always make me wonder when Microsoft will actually start embracing PC gaming in a more meaningful way and ditch consoles. I mean, competition is good but Microsoft just keeps shooting themselves in the foot. They really need to recruit more ambitious creatives and restructure their corporate culture into something more consumers can appreciate.

I've been guessing a couple years now, ever since MS started integrating the Xbox One with Windows 10, that MS are looking to get out of the console game, and are trying to train their userbase into using PCs. If the rumors are true that the next generation of Xbox are going to be tiered at different hardware levels, you're basically looking at a branded line of PCs that you plug into the TV, just probably with a heavily gated OS making all the software proprietary.

I wonder if they'd have any better luck with that than Steam did with its...what were they called..."Steamboxes" Machines"?

hanselthecaretaker:

SupahEwok:

hanselthecaretaker:

I wonder if they?d have any better luck with that than Steam did with its...what were they called...?Steamboxes? Machines??

I never said I thought MS had good ideas.

Yoshi178:

Silentpony:

Yoshi178:

at this point pretty much, my copy of Rare Replay is basically the only reason i haven't sold mine lol

I wish Rare Replay came out on Windows 10...

PS4: Uncharted Collection, Bloodborne, Yakuza 0, Horizon Zero Dawn, Second Son, Spiderman.
XB1: Sea of Thieves.

I own an Xbox one. Mainly for the driving games, because Gran Turismo crossed the line with me in terms of microtransactions, and I shifted franchises. Anyway Forza is awesome (for the most part). For everything else, I main PC, but I did just get a PS4 for the exclusives when it had that great deal going on. Games I play on Xbox:
Forza Motorsport 6, 7
Forza Horizon 2, 3 (and soon 4)
Gears of War (like to split screen with my buddy)
Halo 5
Dead Rising 4 (haven't opened the box yet)

and that's pretty much it.

Silentpony:

Yoshi178:

Silentpony:

I wish Rare Replay came out on Windows 10...

I watched an LP of Viva Pinata and damn I would love to play that game on my PC.

Well, if you want to play the same games as on your PC, but not have your PC in your room, that's a reason.

Other than that, same answer as anything else: backwards compatibility and exclusives.

Paragon Fury:
Do any of these sound tempting?

- Master Chief Collection
- Halo 5
- Halo Infinite (TBR)
- Halo Wars
- Gears of War 4
- Gears of War 5
- Forza Games
- Rare Replay

If you get an Xbox One X, you get the better versions of a lot of console games too - basically every game that is on both consoles the Xbox One version is better if you play it on the Xbox One X; better framerate, better graphics, better load times, more stable etc.

PS4 is for if you like fighting games (since AWS and Capcom decided to say "Fuck You" to Xbox this gen), Naughty Dog games (IE: Last of Us) or are really into Gran Turismo.

Xbox One is for shooters, RPGs and open-world games.

PS4 is mainly for Jrpgs, as there's a plethora of exclusive ones like persona 5 that can sell a system by themselves. Fighting games now more than ever are being released on pc, and while ps4 is the tourney standard, they're not as much of a system seller as are Jrpgs.

You can get an original Xbox One for about ?150 these days, and the game pass is a pretty decent way to experience all of the exclusives without buying any of them outright - though they are all pretty meh. It is also pretty great with back compat with 360 games, if you have a decent library of those lying around, or you can pick them up on the cheap.

Any Xbox One games that you do end up buying through the store (post Halo 5), can also be played on Windows 10, should you ever get a gaming PC.

If that sounds worth it to you, then by all means.

I don't know what the price of a streaming box is these days, but unless you're really into backwards compatibility or need your Halo fix, I doubt the price difference is justified.

One advantage on the XBone X is that you get a 4K UltraHD blu ray player. Despite being the blu ray proprietor, Sony didn't include 4K with any of their consoles. So if you want 4K and a console for whatever garbage EA and Ubisoft are vomiting out on console these days, the XBoneX is for you.

PS3? It's got a lot of good exclusives, and is probably pretty cheap these days. Plus free multiplayer.

There's a lot less reason to get one if you already have a solid PC gaming rig. There's a fair amount of overlap for the titles that get released on each of those platforms. And for platform exclusives, the PS4 and Switch are honestly better platforms.

There is the backwards compatibility to consider. That is a factor that Microsoft has been doing a lot better on compared to their competition. The Xbox and Xbox 360 both had sizable libraries with a lot of good exclusives. At this point, a lot of those exclusives can now be played on the Xbox One with various modern benefits. (higher-resolution rendering, etc...) For anyone wanting to play some legacy Xbox games, an Xbox One S would be a relatively inexpensive way to get access to those catalogs.

But aside from that, there isn't much to recommend the current Xbox One platform. It's not a bad system, by any means. It's simply in the unenviable position of being stacked up against capable competition.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here