Calling out people who use "gay" as a pejorative term on Xbox Live

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

For the longest time, I ignored people on Xbox Live who use words like "gay" and "fag" as an insults or to describe things they don't like. Lately, however, I've been calling people out on it. So far, I've had two reactions.

Most of the time (and somewhat surprisingly), they just shut up about it. I tell the person it's not cool to use "gay" as an insult and the person shuts up.

The rest of the time, I just get ignored. The person doesn't respond to what I say and he keeps on saying "gay" and such. I'm not sure this is because I'm being consciously ignored or the person simply isn't paying attention.

The point is, I'm wondering if my new approach would be a good way to reduce the bigotry on Xbox Live. If everyone who is offended by racism, homophobia, and the like on Live spoke up, the bigots might not feel comfortable spouting their nonsense.

Its not homophobia, its just being a dumbass

This happens everywhere. You see this often anywhere you find teenagers or kids.

pimppeter2:

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

I really don't care. People are to sensitive.

keptsimple:

pimppeter2:

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

You really think everyone who throws around those terms are homophobes?

There just using it as a quick insult that requires little thought. They're not implying that being gay is an insult. The word itself has lost that meaning in this sense.

I could honestly care less. Gay for the youth is interchangeable with lame.

It stopped bothering me a while ago.
Not much you can do 'bout it.

Free country, no law says you have to like homosexuals. Calling someone or something "Gay" is only an insult if both people involved don't like homosexuals and see something wrong with it.

Ultimatly their entitled to their opinion, and all the politically correct tirades in the world won't change that.

Personally, if I was you I'd just let it go. I say this because I find XBL annoying enough with people ditching in fighting games when they are about to lose, or putting me on an avoid list because I beat them (not that I'm the greatest player in the world), without having any desire to compound the problem by ranting about people's insults of choice.

I doubt your going to make many friends that way, and if your involved in XBL more heavily (and more frequently) than I am, that could be a problem.

>>>----Therumancer--->

People are douchebags. Unfortunately, calling them out on it tends to open yourself up to ridicule--plus, it tells them how to rile you up.

I really don't understand the appeal of calling somebody a faggot. if they're not gay then the insult doesn't even make sense, and if they are gay they're not going to be insulted they're just going to think you're an idiot.

Most gamers I meet online (excluding those on the Escapist) use the term gay as an insult. The real problem is that some I know online and meet in real life still use the term in the exact same manner.
Also:

pimppeter2:

Most people I know are homophobes...
It's just not socially acceptable to be gay, especially while we have pope Benedict doing his "everything I don't beleive in is evil!" thing.

I don't bother telling people to stop being twats anymore. Trying to change someones nature over a game of COD4 just gets sad after awhile(personal experience).

I've stopped caring about little things like the word gay, especially after listening to one of my friends speech during gameing. you see he has this really strict idea for how gears should be played, and when people don't follow this code he gets pissed particularly when breaking this code means killing him in ways he deems noob. he can yell some nasty stuff in the heat of the moment.

pimppeter2:

I do agree with this notion, though once being called out on it if, at least, it doesn't give you pause to think that, "hey, maybe I'll offend someone someday so I should knock it off now," then the dumbass/homophobe line begins to blur, and if not checked, can result in rampant assholery.

If you are one of the countless, nameless, faceless online gamer types then please, understand that using that word as a negative IS as insulting as calling someone "black" or "chinese" in an attempt to insult them for being lame. "Lame" is as good a word as any, and anyone who identifies as "lame" can choke on a fat one. Agreed? Good.

Happy gaming...

EDIT: And if you are one of the countless, nameless, faceless online gamer types who DON'T CARE about the sensitivity levels of others consider these two options: A. your reaction to being called the racial/gender/sexuality-driven epithet of your claiming, and/or B. just not using it because it needlessly hurts the feelings of someone else.

Pi_Fighter:
Most gamers I meet online (excluding those on the Escapist) use the term gay as an insult. The real problem is that some I know online and meet in real life still use the term in the exact same manner.
Also:

pimppeter2:

It's just not socially acceptable to be gay, especially while we have pope Benedict doing his "everything I don't beleive in is evil!" thing.

People, or what we're really getting at KIDS arent homophobic, they dont use the term gay, fag, faggot, flamer ect because they're homophobic, they do it because to them and thier friends, its funny

Therumancer:
Free country, no law says you have to like homosexuals. Calling someone or something "Gay" is only an insult if both people involved don't like homosexuals and see something wrong with it.

Ultimatly their entitled to their opinion, and all the politically correct tirades in the world won't change that.

Where did I ever say that people don't have the right to say what they want to say?

I think saying "gay" on LIVE is a lot like saying swear words, only if you get offended by it, it's just gonna get a whole lot worse. Either they turn on you (god bless muting) or they'll crank it up x10.

Why don't you start of by trying to get it of TV then make an official club and try to make it illegal or something! Telling people of one by one on the net is just stupid.

"Gay" is far from the only issue on Xbox Live. Have you seen the amount of racial slurs especially towards black players on that damn service?

The average Live user is much younger than the average 360 owner I'd say because I run into a lot of what I'd put at between 12 and 14 year olds. It could just be that they are the most vocal of all 360 gamers but I don't even bother with live anymore I generally stick to Steam since PC gamers are generally more mature and older.

These kids completely killed Live for me they throw around homophobic and racial slurs constantly. It's a shame their parents let them play these games.

pimppeter2:

This.

And rejoice, for you are not alone. A good friend of mine, along with all the main friends he plays with, do the same thing whenever someone sings the word "gay" around everywhere. Specifically, they ask the offender, the following question that usually results in this conversation:

Offender: Aww, X is so GAY!
Good guys:"How is it gay?"
Offender: It's just so stupid and--
Good guys: Okay, it's stupid... but how is it gay?

This tends to go on until the person gets the point and shuts up.

Nova Tendril:

There just using it as a quick insult that requires little thought. They're not implying that being gay is an insult. The word itself has lost that meaning in this sense.

I see this argument a lot, and quite frankly, I don't get it. If someone throws around a word like "gay" as a casual insult, it's readily apparent that that person doesn't give a shit about the feelings of gay people.

whats funny to do is say "how did you know i was gay?" or something similar. nothing makes preteen twats more uncomfortable then thinking they are gonna get hit on my another guy XD

Off subject kinda here:

I'm all for gays as long as they don't talk about anything near me.
Because although gays are becoming more accepted it still doesn't make sticking things up mens ***es normal.

pimppeter2:

Pi_Fighter:
Also:

pimppeter2:

People, or what we're really getting at KIDS arent homophobic, they dont use the term gay, fag, faggot, flamer ect because they're homophobic, they do it because to them and thier friends, its funny

Do you know how insulted people get when called gay?
Kids are homophobic because parents are homophobic because grandparents are homophobic...

keptsimple:

Nova Tendril:

I see this argument a lot, and quite frankly, I don't get it. If someone throws around a word like "gay" as a casual insult, it's readily apparent that that person doesn't give a shit about the feelings of gay people.

I understand what you're saying. Point is it's used so much that it has lost its impact as an insult, so people use it casually now.

Personally I try to avoid doing so because I want these words to keep their impact.

While we're at it, people shouldn't say 'bananas' or 'nuts' when referring to someone whos 'lost it'

Its not fair to either the bananas or nuts, seriously. Bananas and nuts aren't insane, nor do they cause insanity. They're actually quite delicious and nutritious for you, perhaps even helping one to hold on to their sanity through proper nourishment.

Or... yknow... we could realize language is constantly evolving and let the teenagers say whatever crap they want. They're just kids after all. Although I think someone who's out to police the worlds language must be pretty banan... I mean... must've gone completely nut... er... crazy!

Well, this is probably one more reason I'm not into the whole "online gaming" thing. Regardless, I think it's better to ignore them. Odds are they're being stupid and insensitive. Also, the context issue is important. I don't think anyone even assume the literal interpretation of "MotherF{Censored for your editorial kindness}" , and I think, even thought it is most definitely a half-witted slur, it's not gonna go away for a while. But I've heard the N-word dropped on online game sessions a few times, and that is something I've learned to ignore.

Fluffles:
Off subject kinda here:

Because although gays are becoming more accepted it still doesn't make sticking things up mens ***es normal.

how is it any different then sticking thing up chicks rumps?

Nazulu:
Why don't you start of by trying to get it of TV then make an official club and try to make it illegal or something! Telling people of one by one on the net is just stupid.

Free speech does not (and should not) insulate someone from criticism. Just because I'm calling someone out doesn't mean that I want their speech to be illegal.

Also, you might want to learn the difference between "of" and "off."

The only time my friends and I ever use the word "gay" as an "insult" is when I'm hanging out with my gay friends. They don't mind, and most times we get some laughs.

Example...
Me: I can't believe you actually just killed me... gaaaaay.
My gay friend: Why yes, I am, thank you for pointing out the obvious.

People who legitimately use "gay" to say you suck for beating them or something... that's just ignorance. But I usually ignore it. They'll learn eventually, and if they don't, they'll get the shit beaten out of them, so no skin off my bones.

people are using gay as a synonym for stupid which i unfortunately do, but i realize it and attempt to stop it

NaumWolf:

Fluffles:
Off subject kinda here:

Ummm because women are the sex we have sex with to make babies. Therefore we are made with the purpose to do this.
We are not made with the desire to "stick things up mens rumps"

keptsimple:

Nazulu:

Free speech does not (and should not) insulate someone from criticism. Just because I'm calling someone out doesn't mean that I want their speech to be illegal.

Also, you might want to learn the difference between "of" and "off."

The fact that you can respond to it is an example of free speech...
Same as correcting their grammar.

I am actually agreeing with you here, sorry if I am being unclear.

Fluffles:

NaumWolf:

Fluffles:
Off subject kinda here:

Ummm because women are the species we have sex with to make babies. Therefore we are made with the purpose to do this.
We are not made with the desire to "stick things up mens rumps"

but stickin your junk in a chicks ass is about as affective as sticking your dick in a guys ass. so i still fail to see how reproduction comes into it

Thoe people who do that wern't meant to have Xbox Live... Because they're assholes or their having a really bad day and want to take out their anger on people online.

Otherwise you really suck and are making your whole team lose. Then they have every right to call you gay, fag, ass, everything in the book!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked