Question about Fallout 3 third person view

I keep seeing videos on YouTube of gamers happily roaming the wasteland in a Gears/Resi style third person view where the character is to the left of the screen, the way that your young vault dweller is viewed at his tenth birthday party.

Is there any way to choose this view, as it seems much better than the crappy oblivion style third pereson view that is the default?

Press LB for 360. Hold it down and waggle the thumb stick the change the camera.

It's one of the buttons on the controller, L2 for the PS3, I don't know about the 360.

Also, I just noticed we joined the Escapist on the same day.

NoMoreSanity:

Snap!

miracleofsound:

NoMoreSanity:

Snap!

Also, I am your father.

Mouse Wheel on PC.

Therumancer:
Mouse Wheel on PC.

Or F. If you mousewheel your way to a desired position, hit F and go back to first person, next time you hit F it will go back to the last position you were in third person mode.

well, in PC, all you have to do is scroll your mouse wheel up/down, or hit "Page Up / Page Down" and then you can find one that suits you.

NoMoreSanity:
Press LB for 360. Hold it down and waggle the thumb stick the change the camera.

I just tried this and it works! Mr Border (or should I call you Dad...) you Sir have made my day!

I cannot belive I have spent around 150 hours on this game without knowing this. lol

I don't use the third person camera on PC.
It really doesn't work for swimming unless you want an underwater view of your characters feet.

The 3rd person view annoys me. It handles like first person (strafe, turn) whereas usually in third person games like Fable and Zelda one thumbstick controls character movement and the camera is freeroaming.

Over the shoulder 'is' third person.
Game looks shit in any person.

The third person is MUCH better than it was on Oblivion. It is more natural and much easier to use. Don't know how they did it, but they made it brilliant

what was wrong with third person in oblivion? other then the fact there was no reticule for bows?

Catkid906:
The third person is MUCH better than it was on Oblivion. It is more natural and much easier to use. Don't know how they did it, but they made it brilliant

Really? I prefered thrid person in Oblivion granted thats with the deadly reflex mod but still, Fallout 3s feels kinda akward with the forced left shift I get it to make shooting actually possible in 3rd person but still feels stiff.

Bethesda wants you to play in First person, thats why they make 3rd person so crappy

but I like watching my guy (especially oblivion) walk around town

miracleofsound:

NoMoreSanity:

I just tried this and it works! Mr Border (or should I call you Dad...) you Sir have made my day!

I cannot belive I have spent around 150 hours on this game without knowing this. lol

LOL.
How have you gone 150 hours without pressing the LB button? XD

Flying Dagger:
what was wrong with third person in oblivion? other then the fact there was no reticule for bows?

The rigid, badly done animation was gloriously glaringly apparent in third person.

Only Michael Jackson can walk like that in real life.

Now that I can zoom in on my F3 Vault Dweller I don't have to watch his bandy legs doing the moonwalk anymore. Yay!

WrongSprite:

miracleofsound:

NoMoreSanity:

LOL.
How have you gone 150 hours without pressing the LB button? XD

Let me explain...

I moved the camera command to the Right Thumbstick as I find picking things up easier usinf LB...

I never realised that once in third person, you could hold up the right trigger while clicking it down to zoom in!

As you can see from my typos I have clumsy fingers...

miracleofsound:

NoMoreSanity:

It's best when used with cool items like the sheriff clothes, the hoods, and other items of the sort. Although combat can be a bitch...

NoMoreSanity:

miracleofsound:

NoMoreSanity:

It's best when used with cool items like the sheriff clothes, the hoods, and other items of the sort. Although combat can be a bitch...

Yes... I do enjoy watching my Male Vault dweller running around wearing blocky power armour with a pre war bonnet :)

miracleofsound:

NoMoreSanity:

miracleofsound:

NoMoreSanity:

Yes... I do enjoy watching my Male Vault dweller running around wearing blocky power armour with a pre war bonnet :)

Or my female in Naughty Nightwear...

Fallout 3 is great but the 3rd person view in it is just horrible

miracleofsound:

NoMoreSanity:

Haha, that is awkward. I spent 2hrs in Oblivion before I realized there was Fast Travel! the walk from Anvil to the Imperial City was brutal! I selected one of the town after 2 hrs, "Would you like to fast travel?"

I was shocked, confused and frustrated, all at the same time!

Shapsters:

miracleofsound:

NoMoreSanity:

Haha, that is awkward. I spent 2hrs in Oblivion before I realized there was Fast Travel! the walk from Anvil to the Imperial City was brutal! I selected one of the town after 2 hrs, "Would you like to fast travel?"

Aha that is almost as bad as me... well done :)

Then again 2 hours in Oblivion isn't that much so don't feel too embarrassed for not reading the 40 page manual first...!

miracleofsound:

Shapsters:

miracleofsound:

NoMoreSanity:

Aha that is almost as bad as me... well done :)

Then again 2 hours in Oblivion isn't that much so don't feel too embarrassed for not reading the 40 page manual first...!

It doesn't seem that bad, but I made about 3 trips to and from the Imperial City and beyond from Anvil so. The manual is pretty huge and I was too excited reading!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked