Order of Half Life games

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I never played all Half Life games, and since everybody says that it are good games, I decided to play this gameserie. But I don't know the order of the games in which I should play.
I want to play them chronological , but I think I saw that there where some remakes of the older games.
So, in what order should I play them, if I want to follow the storyline?

Ps. sorry for my bad English

Half-life.
Half-life 2.
Half-life 2, episode 1.
Half-life 2, episode 2.

Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Half-Life 2: Episode 2

There's the order, not too hard now is it ;).
Or if you want to you can wait for the remake of Half-Life (1) to be released. It's called Black Mesa: Source, but it probably won't be released for a while yet.

Half-Life
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 Episode 1
Half-Life 2 Episode 2

So there aren't any remakes (yet)?

Remco32:

No.

Theres a mod for Half Life 2 named Black Mesa which is a fan remake of HL1 that will be released some day.

Some Day.

ph3onix:
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 Episode 1
Half-Life 2 Episode 2

Yes thats it, well done for including Op Force and Blue Shift as well. I did love Op Force when it first came out.

oliveira8:

Remco32:

No.

Theres a mod for Half Life 2 named Black Mesa which is a fan remake of HL1 that will be released some day.

Some Day.

Didn't they get a cease and decisist order?
Edit: wait, I'm mixing it up with something else.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I would recommend skipping Half Life 1 and just reading the plot summary on wikipedia. It was fantastic when it came out, but the gameplay is pretty dated by now.

Remco32:

There's Half-Life: Source but it is basically just the normal Half-Life but with physics and refractive/reflective water.

SmilingKitsune:

oliveira8:

Remco32:

No.

Some Day.

Didn't they get a cease and decisist order?

No Valve only told them to drop the "Source" name from the original title which was Black Mesa:Source.

Now its only Black Mesa.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Areani:

Remco32:

There's Half-Life: Source but it is basically just the normal Half-Life but with physics and refractive/reflective water.

So if I could choose between HL1 and HL:Source, I should pick source?

implodingMan:
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I would recommend skipping Half Life 1 and just reading the plot summary on wikipedia. It was fantastic when it came out, but the gameplay is pretty dated by now.

I don't have that much time, might be a good idea.
How long are the games anyway?

Remco32:

There is a fanmade remake of the original Half Life, but I don't think it's finished yet.
http://www.blackmesasource.com/

EDIT: ninjaed

Remco32:

Areani:

Remco32:

So if I could choose between HL1 and HL:Source, I should pick source?

HL1 I heard Source has some silly bugs, like invisible barnacles and stuff.

And play all of them, Half Life 1 is worth the time, if only to see were it all began.

ph3onix:

Are these spin offs or something?

Remco32:

ph3onix:

Something like that.
It is the events from Half Life 1 seen from two diffrent viewpoints.
Happends at the same time.

Sindre1:

Remco32:

ph3onix:

Something like that.
It is the events from Half Life seen from two diffrent viewpoints.

Is it worth my time?

I didn't play HL1 but I think the storyline doesn't really fit with HL2 much. so start at hl2 if you like me like to avoid playing ancient games.

Remco32:

Sindre1:

Remco32:

ph3onix:

Something like that.

Is it worth my time?

The spin offs no. Half Life 1 yes.

But if you want to play more HL1 goodness give Oposing Force a spin.

Remco32:

Sindre1:

Remco32:

ph3onix:

Something like that.

Is it worth my time?

Apperantly.
I have only played Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episode 1 and Half Life 2 Episode 2.

Remco32:

ph3onix:

Yes. Theye were made by gearbox, rather than valve. They are still good games though. You play as different people through the same time period as Half-Life 1

Edit: Wow, this thread moves fast. I'd say these games are worth it, but you don't really need to play them for any of the story going into Half-Life 2, so they can wait until you need something else to play (and if you decide you like the Half-Life series that is)

Remco32:

Sindre1:

Remco32:

ph3onix:

Something like that.

Is it worth my time?

the main games are HL1, HL2, episode 1, episode 2. the others are just extras you should think about if you really enjoyed the main games. theres also a hl2: lost coast. its just extras.

also portal is kind of set in the same universe also worth checking out. remember the "orange box" contains hl2, episode 1, episode 2, portal and team fortress 2. so buy that!

I already played Portal, loved it. Gonna start my HalfLife adventure with HL1. Thanks for the help :)

Recommended playthrough order:
Half-life
Half-life: Opposing Force*
Half-life: Blue Shift*
Half-life 2
Half-life 2: Episode 1
Half-life 2: Episode 2
*can be swapped.

Half-life 1 has been remade in the source engine as Half-Life: Source, almost same graphics, but it uses the Source engine. It can be bought from Steam. All games are worth your time. Opposing Force and Blue Shift show the events that happened i Half-Life 1 from a different point of view.

Half-Life 2 happens as wikipedia says nearly two decades after Half-Life 1. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and 2 happen right after Half-Life 2.

Also.. there's a REALLY, REALLY hot mod coming out soon, namely Black Mesa Source, which is a remake of Half-Life 1. http://www.blackmesasource.com/ (watch out for their April Fools podcast) Watch their trailer here: http://www.blackmesasource.com/downloads.html and you'll understand that is will be awesome.

You should play it as follows:
Half Life (takes place in 200-)
Half Life 2 (takes place 20 years after Half Life)
Half Life 2:Episode 1 (Takes place right after where Half Life 2 leaves off)
Half Life 2:Episode 2 (Takes place minutes/hours after the ending of Half Life 2:Episode 1)

Should I play HL2 on the PC or X360? Any big differences?

graphics, framerate, depends how awesome your PC is.
I got a frown when I tried to play portal on my laptop.
I'd say get it for the 360 if it's still alive.

Quick question, is Black mesa on the Xbox360?

I loved the Orange Box and want to play through a non-ancient version of Half-Life.

Gerazzi:
graphics, framerate, depends how awesome your PC is.
I got a frown when I tried to play portal on my laptop.
I'd say get it for the 360 if it's still alive.

I played my xbox and its still alive...
I'm playing fallout and its still alive...
wonder how long it will be still alive
still alive

Half-Life 1 on the origional Xbox didn't seem very good, plus practically any computer should be able to run it by now. The second game seems fine if you have the orange box for the 360, a much better port.

Black Mesa will not be on 360, its just a mod.

I don't think anybody has mentioned Half-Life Source yet. OK, That was it's mention.

Half-Life [or Half Life: Source]
Portal
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Half-Life 2: Episode 2

Black Mesa is PC based mod that would not be available on Consoles.
Portal is in the storyline beacuse of the Borealis in Ep. 2.
http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm

I would play half life one, but if you get frustrated, use cheat codes to finish it. Thats what I did. I've played them all, but found the original to be frustrating at times. The controls are touchy, and I fell off a narrow ledge over and over! And PC is the only way to go! Valve designs their games for PC first. And mouse and keyboard is the best way to play FPS. And if you get HL on PC, there are a ton of free mods for it. Just put half life mods in google to see whats available.

UsefulPlayer 1:
Quick question, is Black mesa on the Xbox360?

I loved the Orange Box and want to play through a non-ancient version of Half-Life.

No. It's not. And honestly, the original Half-Life is not really that ancient.

Unless of course I'm ancient... dammit! Now I start doubting myself. :P

Seriously though, play it, ancient or not. It's still awesome.

implodingMan:

Where were you before I bought the damn thing =P I agree HL 1 is pretty lame and frustrating, 2 is one of the best games I've ever played =D

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked